Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Signings............

Scott Pennock

I am starting to see a trend here with the free agents............

So we have resigned two Colts (Irsay)..............Wayne and Mathis

We have signed two Ravens (Pagano)...............Zbikowski and Redding

We have signed two Eagles (Grigson)...............Justice and McGlynn

We have signed one Steeler (Arians).............A.Q. Shipley...........

So by my count we are due to sign one more Steeler and two former Chargers (Manusky)..............the question is, what former Steelers or Chargers would help us out the most?

Antonio Garay - NT (Chargers)

Marcus McNeill - OT (Chargers)

Luis Castillo - DE (Chargers)

Tommie Harris - DE (Chargers)

Max Starks - OT (Steelers)

Bryant McFadden - CB (Steelers)

Bold means I can see the Colts signing them.

Marcus McNeill would be great but he would probably be too expensive.

Tommie Harris is interesting because he was released by us last year

Max Starks would be good because I think he would be a good cheap signing.

Antonio Garay would probably help us out the most people he could fill our need for a NT

Bold means I can see the Colts signing them.

They would have to deal with Freeney's cap hit first but I would agree with this!

Justice was traded...

Antonio Garay and Max Starks are the only guys on that list that I would want. The rest are old and useless. McNeill is expensive.

how bout this...how about we resign our free agents and then worry about the rest. We have some guys that we need to resign like Tamme and Wheeler to name a few.

do we have any worth signing?

do we have any worth signing?

Tamme, Wheeler, Brayton, Lacey are the main ones. They shouldn't take up much space. Tamme as a starter at TE, Wheeler and Brayton as backups at LB and 3-4 DE. Lacey as nickel cornerback or depth.

Tamme, Wheeler, Brayton, Lacey are the main ones. They shouldn't take up much space. Tamme as a starter at TE, Wheeler and Brayton as backups at LB and 3-4 DE. Lacey as nickel cornerback or depth.

I am okay with wheeler but all others we can do alot better. Lacey would be cut from my kids JV team!

I am okay with wheeler but all others we can do alot better. Lacey would be cut from my kids JV team!

I forgot Jeff Saturday too. All those players I named are players that could be useful on this team. Lacey is an overlooked hated player by Colts fans, but I like him, he's gotten better and he's a better nickel corner, not outside. Wheeler did a good job last year and could be good as a ILB. He would be a good backup and if Conner + Angerer get injured, he could come in and do a nice job. Tamme knows the offense well, he's performed well in it and he's very productive, and you can't argue against production.

I'm okay with all of these basically due to our current depth and it won't break the bank. Fans seem to be split on Tamme. I think he is worth signing as long as the contract is manageable.

I'm okay with all of these basically due to our current depth and it won't break the bank. Fans seem to be split on Tamme. I think he is worth signing as long as the contract is manageable.

Tamme deserves a long term deal, something like a 4y 15M with 8M guarranteed and bonuses in the latter part of the contract. Like you said, the depth right now isn't the greatest, so get Wheeler as a quality backup and good special teamer and get Brayton to be a backup 3-4 DE. The D-line needs depth and fast. I'd like to have 6 or 7 guys on the D-line. It's all a matter of building up the foundation of this team then building on that, like a house. I can't state that enough.

Im for it, I mean I loved watchin freeny out their but he had an off year by his standards, and is no spring chicken when it comes to football anymore, I wish hughes would work out but thats still a wait and see he hasnt got alot of playing time really if you think about it

I forgot Jeff Saturday too. All those players I named are players that could be useful on this team. Lacey is an overlooked hated player by Colts fans, but I like him, he's gotten better and he's a better nickel corner, not outside. Wheeler did a good job last year and could be good as a ILB. He would be a good backup and if Conner + Angerer get injured, he could come in and do a nice job. Tamme knows the offense well, he's performed well in it and he's very productive, and you can't argue against production.

Tamme knows the OLD offense...Christiansen's offense. He knows as much about the new offense as a free agent or rookie TE will know. I'd be ok with re-signing him but not to a big deal with the new direction the team appears to be going in. We need a guy who's a more balanced blocker/receiver. Tamme is a very good receiver but I'd say a below average blocker so he may not fit in to the new offense very well. Didn't you also say we should have kept Bullitt because he "knows the system"? I think you deserve a C'MON MAN. You're the "Colts expert" around here remember? Between that and your "league sources" you should know better. :P

I agree about keeping Wheeler though

I know Lacey looked bad last year, but how much of that is the result of playing that soft Cover 2 defense? Look how bad Jennings was with the Colts. Though not great, he wasn't near as bad with the Bears. Could Lacey be better in a different system?

I would also consider Tamme, and of course Saturday if he wanted.

So by my count we are due to sign one more Steeler and two former Chargers (Manusky)..............the question is, what former Steelers or Chargers would help us out the most?

Shipley double dipped with the Steelers and the Eagles....not sure if anyone pointed it out.

Tamme deserves a long term deal, something like a 4y 15M with 8M guarranteed and bonuses in the latter part of the contract. Like you said, the depth right now isn't the greatest, so get Wheeler as a quality backup and good special teamer and get Brayton to be a backup 3-4 DE. The D-line needs depth and fast. I'd like to have 6 or 7 guys on the D-line. It's all a matter of building up the foundation of this team then building on that, like a house. I can't state that enough.

I totally agree with Tamme.and Wheeler...Brayton too. Zibikowski can be relentless on special teams....

Tamme knows the OLD offense...Christiansen's offense. He knows as much about the new offense as a free agent or rookie TE will know. I'd be ok with re-signing him but not to a big deal with the new direction the team appears to be going in. We need a guy who's a more balanced blocker/receiver. Tamme is a very good receiver but I'd say a below average blocker so he may not fit in to the new offense very well. Didn't you also say we should have kept Bullitt because he "knows the system"? I think you deserve a C'MON MAN. You're the "Colts expert" around here remember? Between that and your "league sources" you should know better. :P

I agree about keeping Wheeler though

You don't think they're going to keep traits from the old offense. I thought I read that somewhere. If they were completely redoing the offense, they would have gotten rid of Christenson. They're going to bring in Arians offense, but keep some of the stuff from Christenson's offense. They're going to get rid of the bad, and keep the good. That's what history tells us, unless it's in the teams benefit to just completely redo it. I don't know what they'll do with the offense to be honest with you, but going forward, Tamme is a young good pretty fast kid, who is productive. He's not that expensive and you won't find a better TE on the FA market.

My league sources don't know about what offense they'll run because supposedly they haven't really gotten together and talked serious matters. They haven't gotten down to real business yet.

You don't think they're going to keep traits from the old offense. I thought I read that somewhere. If they were completely redoing the offense, they would have gotten rid of Christenson. They're going to bring in Arians offense, but keep some of the stuff from Christenson's offense. They're going to get rid of the bad, and keep the good. That's what history tells us, unless it's in the teams benefit to just completely redo it. I don't know what they'll do with the offense to be honest with you, but going forward, Tamme is a young good pretty fast kid, who is productive. He's not that expensive and you won't find a better TE on the FA market.

My league sources don't know about what offense they'll run because supposedly they haven't really gotten together and talked serious matters. They haven't gotten down to real business yet.

They don't? OMG....have your league sources call my league sources and we'll get this thing figured out. ;)

They also could have kept Christiansen around because they felt he would be a good QB coach to help work with Luck (or RG3)....which would have nothing else to do with the offense. They could have kept him around just in case they were able to make things work with Manning....keep a familiar face around. So keeping Christiansen around doesn't mean that we will or won't have a completely new offensive scheme/philosophy. We have no idea what the offense will be like. That's why I think that for one of us to say that we should definitely keep a guy around because he "knows the scheme" when we're looking at an entirely new coaching staff (with the exception of the one position coach who has nothing to do with TE's) is kinda silly. :foam:

They don't? OMG....have your league sources call my league sources and we'll get this thing figured out. ;)

They also could have kept Christiansen around because they felt he would be a good QB coach to help work with Luck (or RG3)....which would have nothing else to do with the offense. They could have kept him around just in case they were able to make things work with Manning....keep a familiar face around. So keeping Christiansen around doesn't mean that we will or won't have a completely new offensive scheme/philosophy. We have no idea what the offense will be like. That's why I think that for one of us to say that we should definitely keep a guy around because he "knows the scheme" when we're looking at an entirely new coaching staff (with the exception of the one position coach who has nothing to do with TE's) is kinda silly. :foam:

Um, ok, don't know why you're acting so strange about the league sources thing, it's not a big deal.

You really have no idea about Clyde Christenson. He hasn't trained a QB at this level ever and seems like too much of a responsibility for Clyde. Bruce Arians is better at developing QBs than Clyde. Look at what he did with Big Ben. So with both of us not knowing how the offense will be like, it's kinda silly to debate over something we don't know about. Either way, I wouldn't think they would completely redo the system after all those years of success, it would just be a risk that's not worth taking. Plus, having new assistants in there doesn't mean much. A couple of years ago, I was brought in to be the new WR coach and a couple of other people where brought in to be offensive assistants, but we didn't change the scheme.

I should also add that with that logic, then it would be worth it bringing back players pre-Pagano.

We NEED to sign Antonio Gary immediately. Grigson needs to hop on this quick. We haven't addressed the 2 most dire needs on defense. Can't rely on a rookie to come in and be effective 1st year. If we miss out on him that's not good

As great as Garay would be, I feel like drafting a rookie NT would be more likely in that it'll go along with the theme of "rebuilding". He'd be cheap for a few years, young (obviously), and by time he has 2-3 years under his belt we've worked through most our cap problems and we've got a rebuilt team who is ready to contend for greatness.

Um, ok, don't know why you're acting so strange about the league sources thing, it's not a big deal.

You really have no idea about Clyde Christenson. He hasn't trained a QB at this level ever and seems like too much of a responsibility for Clyde. Bruce Arians is better at developing QBs than Clyde. Look at what he did with Big Ben. So with both of us not knowing how the offense will be like, it's kinda silly to debate over something we don't know about. Either way, I wouldn't think they would completely redo the system after all those years of success, it would just be a risk that's not worth taking. Plus, having new assistants in there doesn't mean much. A couple of years ago, I was brought in to be the new WR coach and a couple of other people where brought in to be offensive assistants, but we didn't change the scheme.

I should also add that with that logic, then it would be worth it bringing back players pre-Pagano.

Without question Arians will have his hands all over Luck's development. This is too big of an opportunity for him not to. This will be the Arians offense. Clyde might work some some of the Tom Moore (Manning) offense in as chemistry builds on the coaching staff.

LOL Being its ST.Pat. day im going with McNeil & McFadden,I do like some of these signings ,i think they are building a Defense,lets see where they go with this Brother

McGlynn played sparingly last year (actually Bengals) but Grigson must think he can back up some positions.

As great as Garay would be, I feel like drafting a rookie NT would be more likely in that it'll go along with the theme of "rebuilding". He'd be cheap for a few years, young (obviously), and by time he has 2-3 years under his belt we've worked through most our cap problems and we've got a rebuilt team who is ready to contend for greatness.

I think both. A Vet NT such as Garay or Franklin and draft a rookie NT. NT is a very hard position to be successful in (unless your are top 20 talent) during your first season or two. Bring in a vet and let the rooklie learn. We've already done that at WR and DE.

This has been an interesting and different week for Coltsland. You can see the new management and direction of the team. Don't recall us ever being this active in free agency, only time will tell if it works out for us. However it does show a different outlook by the team and the years to come could be even more interesting as we relieve the cap pressure that we are under now. Still don't agree with some of the BIG contracts some free agents are getting but that is something the other teams have to live with and see if it works.