Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Billy Volek As Backup Qb?

Girlzarefanstoo

I would rather have Charlie Batch, but if that doesn't happen, then Volek would be on my short list of candidates. He is a veteran player which is great for young players. My theory is:

- If you have a veteran starter, you should have a young backup.

- If you have a young starter, you should have a veteran backup.

- If you have a starter in his late 20's, it's better to have a young backup, but a veteran one is acceptable.

Frankly, I say we should just sign a cheap backup QB with some upside. I know we'd be repeating Bill Polian's mistake if our starter gets knocked out, but we're lucky if we even stand the chance of making the playoffs WITH Andrew Luck, let alone without him. Let's not break the bank.

He's been content not playing for several years - at peace with the fact he won't start again. He's 36. Great teammate to Rivers, they are best friends and he works hard to get him prepped for the games, studies film, talks to him all game long about what he sees out there. Philip calls him his second set of eyes.

Don't know about his arm strength as we haven't seen much of him on the field.

He's been content not playing for several years - at peace with the fact he won't start again. He's 36. Great teammate to Rivers, they are best friends and he works hard to get him prepped for the games, studies film, talks to him all game long about what he sees out there. Philip calls him his second set of eyes.

Don't know about his arm strength as we haven't seen much of him on the field.

Well I remember Billy Volek from back in the day in Tennessee. He had a great year in 2003 or 2004. I remember him as a accurate QB with no the greatest arm. He reminds me of a Chad Pennington, but not as good. It seems like he would be brought in as a morale player, but not exactly the best QB. I'd like to see a guy who can perform and be a role model. Charlie Batch is that guy, plus he knows the system and Arians well.

If they can get Billy Volek cheap I think he would be a nice backup!

Billy Volek would be an excellent addition to our squad. The year QB Philip Rivers had his leg injury [2004 maybe? I don't recall the exactly year.] Volek stepped right it & beat Manning & the Colts in the Playoffs. I don't care if he comes cheap or not, get Volek as our backup QB NOW!!! Unlike Curtis Painter, Volek can consistently move the 3rd & long chains into 1st downs. Charlie Batch from the Steelers is okay, but with Volek there is no dropoff between QB's from 1st to 2nd string & the kid is clutch. You have a legitimate shot to win any game he plays in & post season jitters do not phase him at all.

Billy Volek would be an excellent addition to our squad. The year QB Philip Rivers had his leg injury [2004 maybe? I don't recall the exactly year.] Volek stepped right it & beat Manning & the Colts in the Playoffs. I don't care if he comes cheap or not, get Volek as our backup QB NOW!!! Unlike Curtis Painter, Volek can consistently move the 3rd & long chains into 1st downs. Charlie Batch from the Steelers is okay, but with Volek there is no dropoff between QB's from 1st to 2nd string & the kid is clutch. You have a legitimate shot to win any game he plays in & post season jitters do not phase him at all.

That was the 2007 NFL playoffs...

Some short memories out there. He led the Chargers to a 4th qtr comeback in the 2007 playoffs against the Colts.

Little curious why the Chargers would let him go to sign Charlie Whitehurst as their backup. That should send up a red flag.

Some short memories out there. He led the Chargers to a 4th qtr comeback in the 2007 playoffs against the Colts.

Little curious why the Chargers would let him go to sign Charlie Whitehurst as their backup. That should send up a red flag.

Pure $ savings and we already know Charlie Whitehurst, he knows the system etc. Saves $3.25 off the salary cap for us and $750,000 bonus to be paid 3/22. He's a FA next season anyway.

Pure $ savings and we already know Charlie Whitehurst, he knows the system etc. Saves $3.25 off the salary cap for us and $750,000 bonus to be paid 3/22. He's a FA next season anyway.

The net savings isn't quite that much. Yes they are saving $3.25 of cap space for Volek and $750k bonus, but they are paying Whitehurst a $1m signing bonus and $4m over two years. All in all, not much of a cap savings and more cash paid out now.

You know, I just can't help but think how different all of this would be playing out if the Colts had had a quality backup QB ready to step in for Manning. He would be getting ready to play this season instead of Favre-ing it out there to the rest of the league.

Even if they went with Dan O. the whole year, we would have had more wins and not be in line for either QB, in which case PM would still be here. However, none of that matters now, it is what it is.

The net savings isn't quite that much. Yes they are saving $3.25 of cap space for Volek and $750k bonus, but they are paying Whitehurst a $1m signing bonus and $4m over two years. All in all, not much of a cap savings and more cash paid out now.

Net cap this year is the most important, I think it's ending up at $1.5 M saved. We've been running REALLY tight with a lot of needs.

The Chargers just released him. He's good, would be good to teach your new QB a lot about the game. He's been really close to Rivers and a real asset without setting foot on the field. Just a thought...

When will people start to understand quarterbacks in the league dont ever help each other. It feels too much like prison * situation.

No No good. Pretend NFL players are just like real people and go from there. Most want to streamline their everything and just relax for the duration.

Only sign players who want to fight for a starting job is the floor I'd start at if I was an NFL gm.

Net cap this year is the most important, I think it's ending up at $1.5 M saved. We've been running REALLY tight with a lot of needs.

Understandable to want the cap savings, but you would think they could have added another year or two to his contract and got the same savings. My point is, it seems like this move is being done because the Chargers don't think he has anything left in the tank. I could understand if they just released him and went for someone younger that may have some potential, but Charlie Whitehurst?

You know, I just can't help but think how different all of this would be playing out if the Colts had had a quality backup QB ready to step in for Manning. He would be getting ready to play this season instead of Favre-ing it out there to the rest of the league.

I do not see any resemblance to Farve with Manning. Manning is pure class and making sure he makes the right decision.

I do not see any resemblance to Farve with Manning. Manning is pure class and making sure he makes the right decision.

I've got to agree with Brent here. Manning is dripping with dignity & integrity. Please never put that clown Farve in the same sentence with #18 ever again. Manning wanted to remain a Colt for life while Favre, the spoiled cry baby that he inherently is, held the Green Bay franchise in limbo because he loved being the center of attention.

I've got to agree with Brent here. Manning is dripping with dignity & integrity. Please never put that clown Farve in the same sentence with #18 ever again. Manning wanted to remain a Colt for life while Favre, the spoiled cry baby that he inherently is, held the Green Bay franchise in limbo because he loved being the center of attention.

No disrespect intended... I withdraw the term. It's just for those of us not involved we're pretty sick of the breathless coverage of who sent their plane, the flight plan that was filed, who drove the car blah blah blah. That's the part I meant in using the term, Favre-ing, the media circus, not that Peyton was anything like Favre.

I have posted here defending Peyton to his own fans.

the nfl cartel forced the colts to get rid of manning due to cba. ridiculous roster bonuses are going out the window, and this is why polian got fired from the cartel.

He is a rebel. I wouldnt be surprised if Irsay literally has no control over his own team at this point. Scripted NFL.

I know he has come in off the bench after we knocked Rivers out of the game... In fact I was at that game, I remember thinking we have this game wrapped up now. Nope, Volek came in and torched us. Give him credit for that, also for being prepared and ready to go in to finish the deal for you. That is what you ask a backup to do, step in and moments notice and finish it off. With that being said, he would make a good backup.

the nfl cartel forced the colts to get rid of manning due to cba. ridiculous roster bonuses are going out the window, and this is why polian got fired from the cartel.

He is a rebel. I wouldnt be surprised if Irsay literally has no control over his own team at this point. Scripted NFL.

?????? What does your comment have to do with a backup QB? There were 532 FAs this year. The cap is what it is. Houston did not sign Mario Williams. Big names are being cut all over the league. This is another topic in another thread.

No PEYTON is CLASS ,i really dont think he was treated fair,i dont think we fans were either,thats another issue alltogether,but hes being smart,he will COME OUT THE WINNER LIKE THE WINNER HE IS

He is analyzing his opportunities as adeptly as he managed the line of scrimmage for the Colts: A true professional!

Frankly, I say we should just sign a cheap backup QB with some upside. I know we'd be repeating Bill Polian's mistake if our starter gets knocked out, but we're lucky if we even stand the chance of making the playoffs WITH Andrew Luck, let alone without him. Let's not break the bank.

I don't know how cheap Josh Johnson would be but I woud prefer him because he would actually want to compete. I don't think Volek would be another Kerry Collins but you never know.