Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz 1st 2020 Colts Mock Draft

‘‘Tis the season for teams to start thinking about next year. That means it’s draft season for some of us. Actually impressed with myself for being able to wait until December. So here is my 1st Mock Draft for 5 rounds.

Round 1: Jordan Love, QB Utah State- Jacoby is not the long term answer. Ballard has been scouting this guy all season. His accuracy and touch are special. Take a guy who’s comp is Mahomes and put him in that type of situation. Redshirt his rookie year and start in his sophomore 

Round 2: Marvin Wilson, DT Florida State- Wilson is one of the more unheralded DTs of this class. He can penetrate gaps with ease and put pressure on the passer. He also plays the run well too

Round 2: Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan- It’s not his fault his QB sucked. DPJ is going to blow the combine up and may not be here but if he is, he’s perfect as a deep or intermediate route. He has size and hands to match.

Round 3: Hamsah Nasirildeen, SS FSU- I liked what I saw from Khari Willis before he got hurt. He didn’t do enough to stop me from drafting a guy who I think is a game changer and alpha dog. He had a 22 tackle game this season as well as an 80 yard Pick-6. You don’t pass on him.

Round 4: Zach Moss, RB Utah- While Marlon Mack has been great, he’s been injured a few times and he’ll be going into his 4th season. Even if you keep him you need another RB. Moss runs hard but surprisingly has elusiveness, breakaway speed, and hands. 

Round 5: Albert Okwuebunan, TE Missouri- Ebron wont be back but we should resign Doyle. We’ll need to develop a pass catching TE for Love since Jacoby doesn’t throw the ball to TEs. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

‘‘Tis the season for teams to start thinking about next year. That means it’s draft season for some of us. Actually impressed with myself for being able to wait until December. So here is my 1st Mock Draft for 5 rounds.

Round 1: Jordan Love, QB Utah State- Jacoby is not the long term answer. Ballard has been scouting this guy all season. His accuracy and touch are special. Take a guy who’s comp is Mahomes and put him in that type of situation. Redshirt his rookie year and start in his sophomore 

Round 2: Marvin Wilson, DT Florida State- Wilson is one of the more unheralded DTs of this class. He can penetrate gaps with ease and put pressure on the passer. He also plays the run well too

Round 2: Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan- It’s not his fault his QB sucked. DPJ is going to blow the combine up and may not be here but if he is, he’s perfect as a deep or intermediate route. He has size and hands to match.

Round 3: Hamsah Nasirildeen, SS FSU- I liked what I saw from Khari Willis before he got hurt. He didn’t do enough to stop me from drafting a guy who I think is a game changer and alpha dog. He had a 22 tackle game this season as well as an 80 yard Pick-6. You don’t pass on him.

Round 4: Zach Moss, RB Utah- While Marlon Mack has been great, he’s been injured a few times and he’ll be going into his 4th season. Even if you keep him you need another RB. Moss runs hard but surprisingly has elusiveness, breakaway speed, and hands. 

Round 5: Albert Okwuebunan, TE Missouri- Ebron wont be back but we should resign Doyle. We’ll need to develop a pass catching TE for Love since Jacoby doesn’t throw the ball to TEs. 

Your tight end just announced he’s going Pro.   I’ve seen him mocked as high as the first,  but odds are he’s more likely a Day 2 kid.   I think the odds of lasting to R5 are extremely small. 

Otherwise, good job for December.  Everything will likely be different with each passing month. 

I’ve seen Peoples-Jones play and he’s just not the sure hands I’d like in my wideout. The Buckeyes game was as big a game you could ask for and while he was getting open, he dropped too many with defensive contact, and it will only get worse at the next level.

I loved all the other picks.

12 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I still think Love can be had in the 2nd round.

And I’d much rather have Tyler Johnson over Jones at WR in round 2.

Look at Ballards last two drafts with guys like Leonard, Braden Smith, Banogu, and Okereke. If Ballard likes a guy, he'll take him early. Especially a QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd prefer a talented TE taken higher.  The S is an interesting pick, since I'd lean towards letting Hooker walk at the end of his contract. 

I know people think JB is not the answer, but I'm not sure Love is either at this point.  Its still a risk we end up getting someone who is just as incomplete as JB (maybe in a different way) and waste a 1st rounder. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Look at Ballards last two drafts with guys like Leonard, Braden Smith, Banogu, and Okereke. If Ballard likes a guy, he'll take him early. Especially a QB.

Taking Love with Washington's early 2nd rounder would be early for him. Love is projected as a late 2nd rounder by most draft sites. 

It would be smarter on Ballard's part to due his due diligence and see what Love's interest level is from other teams first. If he really thinks someone else will reach for him, then yes Ballard needs to try and land him round 1. If Ballard thinks he'll be able to get him at value position in the draft, then he can wait until early round 2 and snag a stud DT or WR round 1. 

Getting someone like DT Javon Kinlaw or WR CeeDee Lamb round 1, and then getting Love early round 2 would be a huge win for Ballard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Taking Love with Washington's early 2nd rounder would be early for him. Love is projected as a late 2nd rounder by most draft sites. 

It would be smarter on Ballard's part to due his due diligence and see what Love's interest level is from other teams first. If he really thinks someone else will reach for him, then yes Ballard needs to try and land him round 1. If Ballard thinks he'll be able to get him at value position in the draft, then he can wait until early round 2 and snag a stud DT or WR round 1. 

Getting someone like DT Javon Kinlaw or WR CeeDee Lamb round 1, and then getting Love early round 2 would be a huge win for Ballard. 

Personally, I'd like a trade down from the mid-1st to the late-1st to pick up a 2nd rounder next year and continue the Ballard tradition while picking up Love. A top 15 talent and Love would be preferable too. Just depends on where he is projected by teams. Draft sites can be way off, though they are a fan's lifeline at this point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'd prefer a talented TE taken higher.  The S is an interesting pick, since I'd lean towards letting Hooker walk at the end of his contract. 

I know people think JB is not the answer, but I'm not sure Love is either at this point.  Its still a risk we end up getting someone who is just as incomplete as JB (maybe in a different way) and waste a 1st rounder. 

Your gonna let our best player in the secondary walk?

Might have to slow the roll on the Jordan "love." 

I wouldn't be surprised if he did in fact end up at Texas Tech. Makes a lot of sense...especially if he is getting intel that he might end up late 1st-2nd round. A season at TT, with better talent around him...could put him in the top 5 with Lawrence and Fields.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I want a talented TE as well...but it doesn't seem like a very strong group. I would probably shoot for an upside play in the middle rounds (3-4).

So much can change if Hunter Henry (or Austin Hooper) becomes available. In that case...Ballard has to make Henry the priority in FA. So fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Way too much time before draft day for me to even speculate who I like.

Lots of college games and a combine to look at. 

It amazes me at how many can do mocks when the season isn't even done yet and the combine hasn't even happened. Then again after we lost to Houston, half the forum had their mind made up that JB stinks and isn't the answer so Jordan Love is the flavor of the month. I would go DT with my 1st pick, WR with my 2nd pick, then with my 3rd pick if a QB is there I like I would go for it there. Wilson went in round 3 and it worked for Seattle. If we draft a QB he can also play behind JB if necessary and learn. We can win games with JB (already proven) if we have a healthy roster. I do like Jordan Love so if he is there in the 2nd round, maybe go that route, and pick a WR in round 3?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It amazes me at how many can do mocks when the season isn't even done yet and the combine hasn't even happened. Then again after we lost to Houston, half the forum had their mind made up that JB stinks and isn't the answer so Jordan Love is the flavor of the month. I would go DT with my 1st pick, WR with my 2nd pick, then with my 3rd pick if a QB is there I like I would go for it there. Wilson went in round 3 and it worked for Seattle. If we draft a QB he can also play behind JB if necessary and learn. We can win games with JB (already proven) if we have a healthy roster. I do like Jordan Love so if he is there in the 2nd round, maybe go that route, and pick a WR in round 3?

I have done a mock but I completely agree with your perspective. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Your flavor of the month comment is spot on.

As we all know what we see as fans is not what Ballard will see with the same thought process.

There are a few QBs in this upcoming draft that will get some serious considerations by a lot of teams looking for a QB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your flavor of the month comment is spot on.

As we all know what we see as fans is not what Ballard will see with the same thought process.

There are a few QBs in this upcoming draft that will get some serious considerations by a lot of teams looking for a QB.

There is some talented QB's out there but if someone is hoping we get the next Andrew Luck it isn't happening. Burrow is the best QB in college and will go #1 and he isn't on Luck's level either, JMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is some talented QB's out there but if someone is hoping we get the next Andrew Luck it isn't happening. Burrow is the best QB in college and will go #1 and he isn't on Luck's level either, JMO.

Agreed.

There are very few elite QBs in the league and finding one can come down to just being lucky. 

There are some who think we need a QB like Mahomes or Jackson to win games. IMO, not true. 

Call me old fashion but I prefer a pocket passer who has good footwork. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he did in fact end up at Texas Tech. Makes a lot of sense...especially if he is getting intel that he might end up late 1st-2nd round. A season at TT, with better talent around him...could put him in the top 5 with Lawrence and Fields.

If I was a QB I would want to go as late as possible because you are going to a better team. That is ultimately better for the future and making more money.

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Agreed.

There are very few elite QBs in the league and finding one can come down to just being lucky. 

There are some who think we need a QB like Mahomes or Jackson to win games. IMO, not true. 

Call me old fashion but I prefer a pocket passer who has good footwork. 

To me JB is a pocket passer more than anything. I love Lamar but running a lot is dangerous, all it takes is one wrong hit. Look at RG3. Mahomes is the real deal overall, he runs a little but can pass from the pocket too. Bottomline is Andrew Luck's do not grow on trees. This forum is going to be disappointed next year too when more than likely we are good enough to make the playoffs because Ballard will keep us a float with a good roster but no elite QB. With a healthy roster, JB can get us to the playoffs and half the forum thinks he stinks. I doubt any rookie coming in would play better than JB and I really doubt that Chad Kelly would be better for this team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If I was a QB I would want to go as late as possible because you are going to a better team. That is ultimately better for the future and making more money.

I would want as much gtd money I could get. Ideally, a good team traded up to get you...but I think these guys are mostly alpha types that would welcome the challenge of turning around a bad team.

58 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I would want as much gtd money I could get. Ideally, a good team traded up to get you...but I think these guys are mostly alpha types that would welcome the challenge of turning around a bad team.

It would be just as much of a challenge to take over for great QB. 

There would be the pressure of being compared none stop by most of the fans and the media. 

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

i dont think we will draft any qb in this draft, unless there is a game changer in the first ballard will probably trade down for more picks, dont get the love for love?

8 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i dont think we will draft any qb in this draft, unless there is a game changer in the first ballard will probably trade down for more picks, dont get the love for love?

I am not one who really pays attention to college QB and I am not sure I would even know what to look for. I don’t pay attention to little things like that. I basically just care about wins and loses. Now saying that when I watch Love highlights I can clearly see why everyone is in love with him. He throws such a pretty ball with so much accuracy and touch. Some of his throws are very Mahomes like.

21 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

I'm not going to make that prediction.   Even if JB wasn't struggling at the moment, he is still only under contract through next season, so we need some insurance anyway. 

I think Love is a great fit for the offense, if you like our offense. 

Love has PROVEN that he can get rid of the ball quickly with accuracy, both to to the correct hip for shorter routes to get some YAC, and to his open first read down the field. 

What I haven't seen him prove, probably because of the college offense, is an ability to sit in the pocket and make multiple progressions.  Which is exactly the criticisms I'm reading about JB.  And there haven't been a lot of throws on tape where he has to sling it 20 yards with timing and zip to beat the DB that's closing in or recovering.  Like a deep out pattern. The question would be, IMO, can he develop them.

OTOH, a traditional pocket passer like Jake Fromm has displayed that ability in spades, but he's short and probably has limitations.

And I'm no QB studier.  Its just my amateur observation from the few games I've seen.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

If you want a possible TE that might be a sleeper Jared Pinkney from Vandy. Dude was a legit first round talent but had a down year this year, kinda because he is at Vandy, lol. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3915772/jared-pinkney

Pinkney?    Sleeper?

If he’s not a Day One pick, then he’s a Day Two pick.    Nothing sleeper about him.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am not one who really pays attention to college QB and I am not sure I would even know what to look for. I don’t pay attention to little things like that. I basically just care about wins and loses. Now saying that when I watch Love highlights I can clearly see why everyone is in love with him. He throws such a pretty ball with so much accuracy and touch. Some of his throws are very Mahomes like.

most of the people who love love are on this forum, sports media is not so excited about him

• Thanks 1

I decided to watch this Oregon game tonight. Herbert is not that good. I am confused what everyone sees in him. Two of the big passing plays were to wide open WR. One was in  traffic. Everything else is screen plays and run plays.

5 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

most of the people who love love are on this forum, sports media is not so excited about him

That is probably because the school he goes to. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It would be just as much of a challenge to take over for great QB. 

There would be the pressure of being compared none stop by most of the fans and the media. 

i agree any college qb would be compared to luck and manning, a lot of pressure for them, and this is a poor qb draft

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I decided to watch this Oregon game tonight. Herbert is not that good. I am confused what everyone sees in him. Two of the big passing plays were to wide open WR. One was in  traffic. Everything else is screen plays and run plays.

That is probably because the school he goes to. 

could be has he even played against good schools

9 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

some on this forum think love is the next manning and we will be super bowl bound if we draft him, i dont see it

What I see is the elite traits. He isn’t someone who is going to play his first year. He most likely will sit a year. I was listening to a podcast today. They said the difference in him going in the first or second round will be his interviews. They talked about how he has so many elite traits if teams believe he can lead he will go in the first round.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:00 PM, BProland85 said:

I still think Love can be had in the 2nd round.

And I’d much rather have Tyler Johnson over Jones at WR in round 2.

You may be right, but if he is your guy.....  You cant really chance it

I dont think that he gets by NE

Depending on when we pick, (Im guessing 15-17) we could trade back 3-4 spots and still take Love

18 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The kid could get injured as well, and be in worse state

To me....... you take the 1st round status.......  

If we stink it up the next 4 games.......  As we have lost our "MOJO"

We could be drafting 10-14.......

IMHO, that puts us withing range to get or trade less capitol to get Tua ...... Whom I think should have an excellent pro career....... 

He seems less risky than Love. 

(If he is truly healthy as reported)

He also seemd like a "Ballard kinda guy"

Very smart, leader, a "good guy"