Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out inman

Stephen

And as for not signing Inman in the off season, the Colts no doubt had a price and Inman was trying to get more $--- and maybe a little security. Nothing wrong with that; he's near his final contract and wanted to max it.  It just didn't work out for him. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

yep.  And BEFORE someone brings up the whole draft pick order.  Even if we lose out, we're not likely to get to the top 10-12.  There's 16 teams with records worse than ours. 14 of them with only 4 wins a piece. Which means we'd have to lose out and at least 5 of them would have to win out for us to even sniff the top 10 in draft order.  Looking at the schedules of the teams currently 10-15 a head of us in the draft order, its highly unlikely for any of them to win more than 2 games, let alone all 4 as those teams play top teams such as the Ravens, Patriots, Texans etc.  Bottom line is, we're gonna pick somewhere 15 and down in the order. 

it's not about getting a top 10 pick tho it's about getting closer to the top incase we have to trade up for a QB. it's easier to trade up from 12 or 13 than 16 

26 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Per Stephen Holder Colts indeed tried to resign him last offseason, it just didn't work. Holder ounded it was rather on Inman.

I hope we can sign him for a longer contract 1+2 year or something like that. And I also hope he won't got injured like other FAs... :-(

He waited to long t make a decision and by the time he did we had already drafted Campbell.

34 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

I hope so, should have never been released.  The real question is for how long?  for 4 games seems silly, maybe this year and next for sure with a team option for the 3rd year.  

I don’t think we will sign him for any longer then the four games. We will most likely draft a guy and Ballard did seem like he really liked Devin.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

it's not about getting a top 10 pick tho it's about getting closer to the top incase we have to trade up for a QB. it's easier to trade up from 12 or 13 than 16 

in order to move up from our current position of 17th, we'd have to lose out, and everyone in front of us would have to win at least 2 games to get to 14th. Based on SoS, to get higher, everyone from position 13-16 would have to win at least 3 games and us lose out.  Realistically, the highest we're looking at getting is likely 14th. that's assuming we lose out.

37 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

I hope so, should have never been released.  The real question is for how long?  for 4 games seems silly, maybe this year and next for sure with a team option for the 3rd year.  

he wasn't released, his contract expired and HE chose to explore FA and not take the Colt's offer.

Just now, csmopar said:

in order to move up from our current position of 17th, we'd have to lose out, and everyone in front of us would have to win at least 2 games to get to 14th. Based on SoS, to get higher, everyone from position 13-16 would have to win at least 3 games and us lose out.  Realistically, the highest we're looking at getting is likely 14th. that's assuming we lose out.

I'd take a move from 17th to 14th lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd take a move from 17th to 14th lol

You're entirely missing the point, that point being is that we do not control our destiny, draft or playoffs at all. So begging to tank does nothing as you're gonna be counting on multiple 3 and 4 win teams to win out the next 4-5 weeks. It is not happening.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

he wasn't released, his contract expired and HE chose to explore FA and not take the Colt's offer.

CB obviously decided not to offer enough to keep him, even though he was a nice fit in the year he played here.  Thus he went elsewhere

1 minute ago, Old Colt said:

CB obviously decided not to offer enough to keep him, even though he was a nice fit in the year he played here.  Thus he went elsewhere

Considering no one else signed him and he's still available, Id say Ballard's offer was the best he got...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You're entirely missing the point, that point being is that we do not control our destiny, draft or playoffs at all. So begging to tank does nothing as you're gonna be counting on multiple 3 and 4 win teams to win out the next 4-5 weeks. It is not happening.

I'd rather count on moving up than staying the same it give me something to hope for lol I'm always gonna root for the best outcome we have reached a point where picking the highest possible is the best outcome haha

to me anyway 

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

C'mon Ballard, sign the man. If not, maybe we can get some forum members to play some ball for a fraction of the cost. lol 

Yea or get a few forum  members  to swap bodies with the star players from the teams that ahead of us in the playoff  hunt  and purposely  play bad lol

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Considering no one else signed him and he's still available, Id say Ballard's offer was the best he got...

He signed with another team.....  SD  I believe and now they are dumping who they can since they are worse than the Colts

2 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Per Stephen Holder Colts indeed tried to resign him last offseason, it just didn't work. Holder ounded it was rather on Inman.

I hope we can sign him for a longer contract 1+2 year or something like that. And I also hope he won't got injured like other FAs... :-(

I can take or leave Inman (though I would have liked to have him back in that mentor role)...but I doubt it's completely on Inman that he didn't re-sign...like Holder is suggesting. We don't what they offered (and maybe without any guarantee of making the roster)...and after he came up huge for them in the last half of the previous season and playoffs...he probably wanted something a bit better because this was his last chance (which is a perfectly reasonable position). 

Will be interesting to see how they approach Pascal this offseason. He's got a similar argument...though he was not quite as good as Inman...but he is much younger.

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

Nope...according to Holder...it's Inman's fault. I typically don't have a problem with reporters...but something about Holder just rubs me the wrong way. He unabashedly carries water for Ballard...and is typically arrogant (and sometimes abrasive) in doing so.

He also decided to become a huge JB backer. After the MIA game, he writes an article about how JB is the missing link and that we don't appreciate him enough. After the poor HOU game, he writes an article about how outside assesssment of JB (aka this forum for example) is wrong because it doesn't matter...and those who do matter...he's meeting the correct metrics. And after the bad TEN game, he finally did say criticism would be warranted for JB...but then writes an article about others are to blame as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Nope...according to Holder...it's Inman's fault. I typically don't have a problem with reporters...but something about Holder just rubs me the wrong way. He unabashedly carries water for Ballard...and is typically arrogant (and sometimes abrasive) in doing so.

He also decided to become a huge JB backer. After the MIA game, he writes an article about how JB is the missing link and that we don't appreciate him enough. After the poor HOU game, he writes an article about how outside assesssment of JB (aka this forum for example) is wrong because it doesn't matter...and those who do matter...he's meeting the correct metrics. And after the bad TEN game, he finally did say criticism would be warranted for JB...but then writes an article about others are to blame as well.

What I have seen from Holder is being fair. He routinely will talk about Jacobys bad game but he also talks about how he isn’t the only one to blame for this season. There are lots of reasons this season went south. Jacoby is just one of them. I have really been pretty disgusted with a lot of colt fans this year. There has been so many factors that have played into this losing stretch and to blame it all on the QB is just wrong.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What I have seen from Holder is being fair. He routinely will talk about Jacobys bad game but he also talks about how he isn’t the only one to blame for this season. There are lots of reasons this season went south. Jacoby is just one of them. I have really been pretty disgusted with a lot of colt fans this year. There has been so many factors that have played into this losing stretch and to blame it all on the QB is just wrong.

I definitely agree with that there are lots to blame...and I am not even trying to put it on JB. I am just saying I think Holder certainly has an agenda (and/or personal biases)...and it comes through in his writing and especially in his tweets and responses...and I don't really care for him most of the time. I am sure he couldn't care less that I feel this way...it's JMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Hmm. . .  A little odd.

But that said even if we did have Inman back in the fold I don't think that would have changed any of our offseason moves that year.

It's possible Inman saw the writing on the wall, knew they where going to bring in an FA and a draft pick and didn't want to find himself at the bottom of a pretty good depth chart.

Of course things didn't work out as planned.  Luck retired and every WR not named Zach Pascal got hurt.  

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

It is interesting that Belichek DID sign him in May. Inman asked for and got his release. Then the Chargers signed him in August then he got hurt. They released him from IR.
 Seems to me that the type of routes he runs scare Jacoby to death.
It is/was pure silliness that we would sign him beyond these last few games.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

A couple things go into this.

Right off the bat QB's always get too much credit for victories and take too much blame for losses.  Comes with the position that he's going to be the focus of all of it.

Secondly I think a lot of our other problems are problems that are not easily corrected.  Injuries have killed us this season.  Can't account for that or fix that.  The one problem you can fix is who is playing quarterback here in the future.

Brissett is under extra pressure too, the Colts have had 20 straight years of pro-bowl level quarterbacks play here.  

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

A couple things go into this.

Right off the bat QB's always get too much credit for victories and take too much blame for losses.  Comes with the position that he's going to be the focus of all of it.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to make sense of WR stats now, which I haven't seen any lifted up for discussion this season.  I guess they are the result of great, or bad, QB play, so quoting them is meaningless. 

If you have WRs with bad stats, its due to the QB? but bad QB stats are not the result of bad WRs.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to make sense of WR stats now, which I haven't seen any lifted up for discussion this season.  I guess they are the result of great, or bad, QB play, so quoting them is meaningless. 

If you have WRs with bad stats, its due to the QB? but bad QB stats are not the result of bad WRs.

You’re funny. I think you’re smarter than you let on & I think you like being a contrarian and ruffling feathers....it’s almost trollish. Amusing, but trollish. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

You’re funny. I think you’re smarter than you let on & I think you like being a contrarian and ruffling feathers....it’s almost trollish. Amusing, but trollish. 

I'm pointing out a true observation.  You may have seen otherwise.  

Have you seen any talk about WR stats this season, or is the lack of them solely on the QB?  

Why would a statistical top 5 WR be given a larger contract than an Inman?  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's possible Inman saw the writing on the wall, knew they where going to bring in an FA and a draft pick and didn't want to find himself at the bottom of a pretty good depth chart.

Of course things didn't work out as planned.  Luck retired and every WR not named Zach Pascal got hurt.  

Bingo.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm pointing out a true observation.  You may have seen otherwise.  

Have you seen any talk about WR stats this season, or is the lack of them solely on the QB?  

Why would a statistical top 5 WR be given a larger contract than an Inman UDFA?  

Nope, I have not seen one discussion on this forum pertaining to the wide receivers this year. I have not seen one stat comparing the numbers of some of the same receivers between this year and last year or the numbers of the passing offense this year VS. last year. 

I really have no interest in doing a back and forth with you. 

Like I said, I believe you enjoy this. You do it regularly. You actually have some good thoughts/opinions from time to time. But when you get on your contrarian kick....amusing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

We know why he didn't sign.  Ballard set a price for him and Inman wanted more. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Nope, I have not seen one discussion on this forum pertaining to the wide receivers this year. I have not seen one stat comparing the numbers of some of the same receivers between this year and last year or the numbers of the passing offense this year VS. last year. 

I really have no interest in doing a back and forth with you. 

Like I said, I believe you enjoy this. You do it regularly. You actually have some good thoughts/opinions from time to time. But when you get on your contrarian kick....amusing

The bolded seems contradictory.  Starting something, then finishing with another one, is actually exactly what you're doing.

So you have seen discussions about the stats of our WRs?  And they were used to place judgment on the WRs, and not the QB getting blamed for too much (which was the comment I was contributing too)

Why did you bother to start a back and forth by providing me with your opinion of me instead of just answering the question?  

And then you call ME the troll?  LOL

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The bolded seems contradictory.  Starting something, then finishing with another one, is actually exactly what you're doing.

So you have seen discussions about the stats of our WRs?  And they were used to place judgment on the WRs, and not the QB getting blamed for too much (which was the comment I was contributing too)

Why did you bother to start a back and forth by providing me with your opinion of me instead of just answering the question?  

And then you call ME the troll?  LOL

Well, I did answer your question & I wasn’t actually trying to call you a troll. I said it was trollish...and it is. I’m still trying to decide if you are a troll, or if you’re really this obtuse? As I said, I think you’re smarter than you let on.  I really had no intention of discussing stats, or football with you, because I have seen plenty of times how that plays out when you finally get someone to bite.

You’re smart enough to know that this is a team sport, and there are a multitude of reason why a receiver could have good, or bad, stats, the same for the QB, the RB’s, etc. It’s not as black/white as you’re trying to make it. 

But yes, I have seen stats on this forum, used to say that the WR’s are no good, and that it was not the QB’s fault....which is what you were trying to say. 

3 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Well, I did answer your question & I wasn’t actually trying to call you a troll. I said it was trollish...and it is. I’m still trying to decide if you are a troll, or if you’re really this obtuse? As I said, I think you’re smarter than you let on.  I really had no intention of discussing stats, or football with you, because I have seen plenty of times how that plays out when you finally get someone to bite.

You’re smart enough to know that this is a team sport, and there are a multitude of reason why a receiver could have good, or bad, stats, the same for the QB, the RB’s, etc. It’s not as black/white as you’re trying to make it. 

But yes, I have seen stats on this forum, used to say that the WR’s are no good, and that it was not the QB’s fault....which is what you were trying to say. 

Fair enough.  I think you probably read into something by the way I wrote the original comment. I may have wrote it with a hint of sarcasm that was poorly delivered.

I know full well that if someone says that we have a bottom five passing attack that not everything can be attributable to the QB. 

My feeling is that if there are people that do think it is attributable almost exclusively to the QB, then they must also believe that there is really no such thing as a top 5 ranked WR, because his ranking must be a product of playing with a great QB and not his own elite play, and that a bottom five WR must be the result of playing with a bad QB and not the result of his crappy play.  That was the point I was trying to make. 

As far as actual stats from our receivers between last year and this year.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pascal wasn't active last year, and Inman was last year but not this year.  Cain didn't play last year, got a lot of PT early this year, then was cut.  Ebron has had his own problems regardless of QB play.  So that really leaves TY and Rogers as being stats that anybody can really compare from last season to this season.  And Rogers' stats is not someone who I would use as a measuring stick for any other player.

TY was injured.  His stats from when he wasn't injured are probably down, but we were also 6-2, so the whole offense was successful in a different way.  Maybe this year's QB not trying to force it to TY saved the team and our defense from some interceptions we had last year. IDK.

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

yep.  And BEFORE someone brings up the whole draft pick order.  Even if we lose out, we're not likely to get to the top 10-12.  There's 16 teams with records worse than ours. 14 of them with only 4 wins a piece. Which means we'd have to lose out and at least 5 of them would have to win out for us to even sniff the top 10 in draft order.  Looking at the schedules of the teams currently 10-15 a head of us in the draft order, its highly unlikely for any of them to win more than 2 games, let alone all 4 as those teams play top teams such as the Ravens, Patriots, Texans etc.  Bottom line is, we're gonna pick somewhere 15 and down in the order. 

Yeah, but getting a few spots closer means you potentially have to give up less to get a guy who drops a few spots .... And Inman won't make much of a difference, Jacoby won't throw to him in stride or throw him open either.