Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 8 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

I'd honestly rather see Reich do a fake screen to the RB in motion followed by a jet sweep to the opposite sideline or a dumpoff to Pascal for 5-8 yards.  Use that telegraphy to good effect by building disguise around it until defenses back off.  That might be all he has to do.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

The OL was a disappointment during the entire game. I can see one man playing poorly but they were weak everywhere. I'm sure Reich was upset with their lack of effort.  Vinateri was scary again today. Going neck and neck with Houston for the next eight games requires mistakes be reduced to a bare minimum. 

I don’t agree .  We ran well and had good protection on a lot of plays.

what was bad is we has at least 3-4 plays with free runners on cross ups.  I think the impression that the line was bad comes from that.  Denver generates a good rush.  Brisett didn’t help the line and neither did Reich IMO.

they were confused out there in some plays for sure.  Just missed assignments made an otherwise Ok day appear worse than it was.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I don’t agree .  We ran well and had good protection on a lot of plays.

what was bad is we has at least 3-4 plays with free runners on cross ups.  I think the impression that the line was bad comes from that.  Denver generates a good rush.  Brisett didn’t help the line and neither did Reich IMO.

they were confused out there in some plays for sure.  Just missed assignments made an otherwise Ok day appear worse than it was.

I saw a tweet that a lot of the offensive players did they saw a lot of stuff they didn’t see on tape. Give fangio a lot of credit.

11 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'd honestly rather see Reich do a fake screen to the RB in motion followed by a jet sweep to the opposite sideline or a dumpoff to Pascal for 5-8 yards.  Use that telegraphy to good effect by building disguise around it until defenses back off.  That might be all he has to do.

well you have to be able when there is that type of rush.  And even if it doesn’t work, it effectively slows down the rush.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Very few QBs in the league escape that situation on the goalline and even fewer make that throw. Huge props to Brissett for the play he made especially with the background of the entire game he and the entire offense had(including Frank). The OLine was outplayed, Frank IMO was outcoached by Fangio O vs D. The receivers had trouble getting open. 

This was way too close for comfort. Props to the defense for keeping it close so we can rely on that miracle play from Brissett and a couple of extra lucky breaks(horsecollar tackle) on that final drive. 

Phew! :thmdown:

Agree with most of what you said but I was at the game and there were receivers open all day. JB has a real problem going thru his progressions.  If his first look doesn't come open or if he waits to long to release the ball he seems to have a problem picking up another guy. That's why people say he holds onto the ball to long which he does. I don't know if this is an innate instinct good QBs have or if this can be learned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Agree with most of what you said but I was at the game and there were receivers open all day. JB has a real problem going thru his progressions.  If his first look doesn't come open or if he waits to long to release the ball he seems to have a problem picking up another guy. That's why people say he holds onto the ball to long which he does. I don't know if this is an innate instinct good QBs have or if this can be learned.

The alternative to that is he doesn't force nothing or throw dumb INT's. Many other QB's have WR's open but do not throw to them. Go watch the other 31 teams and get back to us. It happens with every team. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The alternative to that is he doesn't force nothing or throw dumb INT's. Many other QB's have WR's open but do not throw to them. Go watch the other 31 teams and get back to us. It happens with every team. 

Jacoby is slow to read man.  I watch too much football and he’s one of the slowest that I see out there.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never said it doesn't happen.Was just disagreeing  that no one was open all day. Read what I said and get back to us.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Jacoby is slow to read man.  I watch too much football and he’s one of the slowest that I see out there.  

We are 5-2 and won again, how did JB do last week vs Houston in your opinion? The critiquing here from a few on here makes me think people are NFL coaching experts. I have watched football for 40 years, played in highschool as well. I know JB is above average at worse if not good. Anyone that says he is below average, I just can't take serious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

TY has the least separation average out of the top 5 WRs/TEs on the team. TY (1.28), Doyle (1.54), Ebron (1.8), Rogers (2.15), Pascal (1.53). They don't list Hine's because he's a RB, but he's likely got the best separation on the team.

JB is also 25th in AGGN%, meaning he's throwing it into tight coverage more than 24 other QBs. 

TY is not slow, or bad, this just means he's doubled a lot. But he is definitely not the most open guy. Still, TY has more than double the targets compared to the next WR, and far more than any of the TEs. What this means is he forcing it a lot to TY, and probably because he's stuck on his first read. It's pretty obvious most of Reich's play calls are 1st read to TY, a TE, or a RB. The other WRs are getting open, they are just further down the progression.

JB's TTT today was his worst of the year I believe (3.05), and was 2nd worst in the league today. This means he's holding on too long, and while the OL was not perfect, he had plenty of time on average. If I had all 22 I'd screenshot a few plays where he had plenty of time, had open guys up the seam, but attempted to check down or simply locked onto his first read.

Where are you getting these numbers from?

The fact that Hilton is doubled and other WRs still can’t get open proves my point...and until we get the all-22 footage I’m sticking to what the experts say.

5 minutes ago, colt18 said:

The fact that Hilton is doubled and other WRs still can’t get open proves my point...and until we get the all-22 footage I’m sticking to what the experts say.

I think some people make there numbers up. If TY's is true he must be Superman then because he still produces lmao 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are 5-2 and won again, how did JB do last week vs Houston in your opinion? The critiquing here from a few on here makes me think people are NFL coaching experts. I have watched football for 40 years, played in highschool as well. I know JB is above average at worse if not good. Anyone that says he is below average, I just can't take serious.

I think some made up their minds about Jacoby before the season started and are looking to be right and only look at things that backup their opinion and ignore things that don’t on BOTH SIDES.  

Like I said Brissett isn’t elite but he’s good enough to be a winning QB on a good team which is what the Colts have.  Is he going to be able to put the team on his back when the rest of it is having an off day like Manning or Luck could?  No.  However, this team is set up to not ask him to do that.  He fits this team which is what you want your QB to be.  That’s credit to Ballard for recognizing the backup QB spot wasn’t good enough a couple of years ago and getting a guy with high upside and credit to Reich for molding the team around him on short notice and not panicking when Luck retired and finally credit to Brissett for not just accepting oh I am Luck’s backup I am good but pushing to get better and help the team anyway he can.

Brissett’s biggest asset is the one that you can’t teach, he’s a leader and that counts for a lot when you are talking about a QB.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think some made up their minds about Jacoby before the season started and are looking to be right and only look at things that backup their opinion and ignore things that don’t on BOTH SIDES.  

Like I said Brissett isn’t elite but he’s good enough to be a winning QB on a good team which is what the Colts have.  Is he going to be able to put the team on his back when the rest of it is having an off day like Manning or Luck could?  No.  However, this team is set up to not ask him to do that.  He fits this team which is what you want your QB to be.  That’s credit to Ballard for recognizing the backup QB spot wasn’t good enough a couple of years ago and getting a guy with high upside and credit to Reich for molding the team around him on short notice and not panicking when Luck retired and finally credit to Brissett for not just accepting oh I am Luck’s backup I am good but pushing to get better and help the team anyway he can.

Brissett’s biggest asset is the one that you can’t teach, he’s a leader and that counts for a lot when you are talking about a QB.  

Great post and I agree. The JB supporters do not think he is as good as Andrew Luck. That is where the non-supporters get it twisted. I think he is above average/border line good - the stats and 5-2 record back me up. Is he very good or great, no I haven't seen that yet. It is amazing how some just criticize this guy when we are 5-2 and he just threw for 326 yards, 4 TD's. and 0 INT's vs Houston. I guess have at it to those experts lmao . 

Chad Kelly, I can't quit laughing at the people that think he is better than JB, lmao 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great post and I agree. The JB supporters do not think he is as good as Andrew Luck. That is where the non-supporters get it twisted. I think he is above average/border line good - the stats and 5-2 record back me up. Is he very good or great, no I haven't seen that yet. It is amazing how some just criticize this guy when we are 5-2 and he just threw for 326 yards, 4 TD's. and 0 INT's vs Houston. I guess have at it to those experts lmao . 

Chad Kelly, I can't quit laughing at the people that think he is better than JB, lmao 

I said before the year, so maybe I am guilty of this too, that Colts fans were going to have to get used to a QB that they haven’t seen since Harbaugh.  A guy who is a great leader and can win at a high level with the right team but is never going to be elite.  That’s life for most teams in the NFL because there are only so many Peyton Mannings out there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well last week you said you have him at 15 I think you said.  I have him 18-22 which isn’t much lower than you.  That to me is below average.  

I said last week he was good.  This week he was not.  He made a really nice play on that free stunt from Miller but other than that he was bad.  

it seems to me that things have to really work out like they are drawn up or it goes bad for him.  I don’t think you commit to a guy like that.  HaI think he might be playing at a replaceable level.  Last week I’m like maybe this week I’m like maybe not.

I don’t know how the game will turn out tonight, but tonight. Matt Moore a journey man looks pretty good.  Bridgewater won 5 games ina row.  The dude in Carolina has a good record before today.  Journeyman for Chicago moved the ball better than Truby.  I don’t buy into outcome bias.  We won but Brisett was not much of an asset today.  I don’t think any of these teams would or will stand pat with the QBs I have mentioned.  That all colts included I am guessing would be looking to bring in someone to compete for the job.

i would guess that JB is thought of that way by the staff in Indy if we were privy to their secret ideas right now..

That’s all.  No big deal it’s just what I think I’m seeing.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well last week you said you have him at 15 I think you said.  I have him 18-22 which isn’t much lower than you.  That to me is below average.  

I said last week he was good.  This week he was not.  He made a really nice play on that free stunt from Miller but other than that he was bad.  

it seems to me that things have to really work out like they are drawn up or it goes bad for him.  I don’t think you commit to a guy like that.  HaI think he might be playing at a replaceable level.  Last week I’m like maybe this week I’m like maybe not.

I don’t know how the game will turn out tonight, but tonight. Matt Moore a journey man looks pretty good.  Bridgewater won 5 games ina row.  The dude in Carolina has a good record before today.  Journeyman for Chicago moved the ball better than Truby.  I don’t buy into outcome bias.  We won but Brisett was not much of an asset today.  I don’t think any of these teams would or will stand pat with the QBs I have mentioned.  All these teams, colts included, I am guessing would be looking to bring in someone to compete for the job.

i would guess that JB is thought of that way by the staff in Indy if we were privy to their secret ideas right now..

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t know how the game will turn out tonight, but tonight. Matt Moore a journey man looks pretty good.  Bridgewater won 5 games ina row.  The dude in Carolina has a good record before today.  Journeyman for Chicago moved the ball better than Truby.  I don’t buy into outcome bias.  We won but Brisett was not much of an asset today.  I don’t think any of these teams would or will stand pat with the QBs I have mentioned.  That all colts included I am guessing would be looking to bring in someone to compete for the job.

Actually I heard on the radio today there is a good chance the Panthers move on from Cam after the season because of how good the kid has been that’s filling in for him.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

JB is a work in progress right now so I see why people are nervous about it. I thought he played bad today for the most part but he played great at the end. Yeah I still have him at 15th = above average. You still have him at roughly 20th it looks like. I am not going to bash your opinion, that is just what you see. We are all different, no biggy.

38 minutes ago, colt18 said:

There are several advanced stats sites. The best free one is probably playerprofiler.com. It has pretty detailed stats on WRs and matches up well with the pay sites.

Nextgen stats are good for QB figures like TTT and AGG, but all over the place on WR stats. Keep in mind Nextgen is directly from the NFL.... So feel free to doubt what the NFL's own stats are saying lol.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB is a work in progress right now so I see why people are nervous about it. I thought he played bad today for the most part but he played great at the end. Yeah I still have him at 15th = above average. You still have him at roughly 20th it looks like. I am not going to bash your opinion, that is just what you see. We are all different, no biggy.

Cool.  5 up 2 down and we have a pretty favorable next few matchups.

Yeah man I have him rated on the edge of replaceable.  I tend to be pessimistic.  Over 40 years of being a Cub fan tends to do that I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There are several advanced stats sites. The best free one is probably playerprofiler.com. It has pretty detailed stats on WRs and matches up well with the pay sites.

Nextgen stats are good for QB figures like TTT and AGG, but all over the place on WR stats. Keep in mind Nextgen is directly from the NFL.... So feel free to doubt what the NFL's own stats are saying lol.

You are all over this stuff, credit to you. I use my eye test more than anything anymore but I know the overall stats of players too when I debate.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Cool.  5 up 2 down and we have a pretty favorable next few matchups.

Yeah man I have him rated on the edge of replaceable.  I tend to be pessimistic.  Over 40 years of being a Cub fan tends to do that I think.

I have been a Cubs fan since 1984 when I became a Colts fan too so I hear ya. I remember Ryne Sandberg, Harry Caray like it was yesterday. The Cubs 84 team was awesome. When we won in 2016 I celebrated for a week lmao . 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are all over this stuff, credit to you. I use my eye test more than anything anymore but I know the overall stats of players too when I debate.

Thanks CBE. I'm a data guy, but most of my opinions begin with the eye test. I think most of the talking heads are simply parroting what they hear from others, and rarely do they actually watch the film, or look deep at the stats. And most of the Colts-centric tweeters steer away from most things that are critical, and focus on things that get them clicks and re-tweets. Anyway, I prefer to have as much data as possible, instead of being a "re-tweeter".

I also have a buddy who's very into the all22 although he's a fan of another team. He will on occasion look at certain games/plays for me. I hate to ask.... I'm close to ordering it myself. I have too many other subscriptions, and was trying not to spend another 100 bucks lol.... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hes one of the greatest D coordinators ever.  He is up there with Bill maybe even a better as a coordinator 

He’s also the guy that got Jim Mora fired here lol.  

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been a Cubs fan since 1984 when I became a Colts fan too so I hear ya. I remember Ryne Sandberg, Harry Caray like it was yesterday. The Cubs 84 team was awesome. When we won in 2016 I celebrated for a week lmao . 

As someone else who also likes the Cub when did we stop celebrsting?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I was at the game too & I'm a JB fan.  I'll admit he missed some throws. Threw behind Doyle on a deep cross. Also missed Pascal early when he broke open late in the play on our first drive.  Looked like JB's clock probably sped up on that play because he knew he had the ball for a long time & the rush was coming.  But please tell me all these examples of plays where you saw receivers open all day????  

I sure didn't see receivers open all day.  I assure you if receivers were open all day we would have scored more than 15 points. JB deserves to be critiqued but the criticism he gets on this board from some is a joke.  He plays well & wins & he gets backhanded compliments.  "Yeah but..."

When Luck threw it 50 times last year but we got shut out by Jacksonville, did you same people criticize Luck just as hard?  Or were there excuses made because he's "elite" & therefore it couldn't have been his fault right?  Same with Manning when he wet the bed in the playoffs. Excuses...  Never any for JB though...  I see people saying JB isn't & will never be elite like a Brady or Luck...  JB is in his 2nd season of playing. Brady wasn't elite in his 2nd year of playing either...

Lastly, people say JB holds the ball too long & is slow through his progressions.  Would you be happier if JB forced more dangerous throws to guys that aren't open so we can get more tip drill interceptions?  Sure he has to improve but I like the way he's learning on the job & still getting us wins in the process. It's clear right now that JB truly only trusts TY & Doyle (I almost don't blame him).  He has to get better chemistry with some others (we really need Funchess back) but they've got go do better at getting open quicker too.

From what I've seen the players believe in him.  The coaching staff and management believe in him.  So I'm gonna believe in him too.  As long as he keeps progressing & we keep winning, he's alright in my book. 

Got the Chiefs/Packers on. I know Mahomes is out but it really didn’t matter. Moore played great. The Chiefs might still pull this out but they won’t against a Bill Belichik coached team. Typical bad clock management by Reid at the end. Should have ran the ball down their throats when they were ahead and should have went for it on the last 3rd down. Get good Colts because the Chiefs aren’t beating the Pats lol!

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't watch TV for like a week or two after 2003.

THe 2016 run was exhausting. Staying up late,eating pizza and wings, drinking way too much during the work week.  I joked with cardinal fans that I wasn't used to it.  How did they deal with long playoff runs? I screamed so loud from the bottom of my gut so hard and jumped up so quickly on the Montero HR in game one of the ALDS in my parents living room with my brother and a couple of other friends that year I literally almost passed out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I was at the game up high and more times than not I saw Jacoby looking and looking and no one was open.  He’s not Luck he’s not going to force it which is why he has fewer turnovers.  It also means he’s going to have less completions down field.  

I think this team’s biggest need is another WR to go with TY.

I was at the game today also with a couple buddies and we were specifically watching receiver and they were getting open on their breaks. if you don't hit them quick coming out of their breaks it gives the DB time to recover. I will be the first to admit we don't have great route runner but Doyle was open more times then not as was TY and Pascal. He missed Hines once bad. I too didn't think much of the play calling and the oline was terrible but JB was not good either.  

The play on the last drive was spectacular, the horse collar was deserved due to the bad calls we had against us and Vinnie had a great kick. I'm very happy we won. But I was under the impression that this thread was intended to be a critique of JB's play but it seems to end up in arguments. Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the thread.