Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 8 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Maybe we can get one of the All 22 folks here to do a film check.  I'd get the All 22, I do not have the time to do it with any sort of regularity.  But you found 18 and so far, and the one Sunday and the one you found, indicate that might the case.

I just added film of 2 more games(4 more throws), it seems more of a mixed bag in those. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just added film of 2 more games(4 more throws), it seems more of a mixed bag in those. 

I just saw those.  It doesn't matter to me what the answer is end of the day.  It could even be a recency bias (as in, "the last long throw I saw from Brissett he was running for his life, therefore, that's usually the case").  It's just kind of fun to look into those things.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

To clarify Brissett drops off the least on Y/A when pressured?

Well... the least in that list. He ranks 14th. So I would guess about middle of the road with the rest(that are not on the list) dropping off even less than him. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well... the least in that list. He ranks 14th. So I would guess about middle of the road with the rest(that are not on the list) dropping off even less than him. 

That is interesting, but I’d liked to have seen the splits themselves. Like going from 8 YPA to 4 YPA is less worrying then 6 to 4 if you get me.

One thing I think everyone will agree on, it is good to have these discussions/threads while we are at least winning. Losing is no fun. Fwiw, I don't consider anyone being a hater, it is just my opinion that JB is better than some think. @Superman had some great posts of film on JB. We all have our opinions, it would be boring if everyone thought a like lmao .

• Like 2

Also I think there are 2 reasons why JB isn't throwing deep very often. 1 - Frank's playcalling, it is very conservative at times. 2 - We do not have a good #2 WR we can count on. JB is the type of QB that will not force a throw deep if he doesn't have too. That approach is fine because he rarely throws a dumb INT. When Frank opened up the playbook, JB was great vs Houston.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing I think everyone will agree on, it is good to have these discussions/threads while we are at least winning. Losing is no fun. Fwiw, I don't consider anyone being a hater, it is just my opinion that JB is better than some think. @Superman had some great posts of film on JB. We all have our opinions, it would be boring if everyone thought a like lmao .

Nope.. not everyone agrees it's good to have these discussions lmao

Appreciate this post though :thmup:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Let's take a look at least year by team for Y/Play and there is a fair correlation that the better teams have better Y/P. Makes logical sense, although you have oddities such as the Bucs & Ravens  in there, a product as Reich alludes to of on the day match ups going your way..

The context is pretty obvious here, though. The Bucs led the NFL in turnovers with 35, and had the second worst TO differential at -18. The idea is that yards/play is an indication of efficient offense, but turnovers undermine efficiency. 

And the Ravens had a run heavy offense and a limited QB, and they were a top two defense by pretty much any relevant metric. So it also goes without saying that a below average offense can be strongly complemented by a great defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also I think there are 2 reasons why JB isn't throwing deep very often. 1 - Frank's playcalling, it is very conservative at times. 2 - We do not have a good #2 WR we can count on. JB is the type of QB that will not force a throw deep if he doesn't have too. That approach is fine because he rarely throws a dumb INT. When Frank opened up the playbook, JB was great vs Houston.

I think there is a third and fourth reason: JB is very conservative, and JB doesn't see/anticipate open receivers as well as I would like. 

I think the #2 receiver consideration is overblown. I think there are plenty of plays where receivers are open or in good enough position to be targeted, but don't get the opportunity because JB checks down, scrambles, or throws to a covered TY.

And I think the trade-off to having so few dumb INTs is that you'll also have precious few big plays down the field.

And for all the 'opened up the playbook' talk about Houston, JB still only threw five passes at least 20 yards downfield, out of 45 called pass plays. 

My theory is that JB is the primary reason we're not seeing deeper passes, not the play calling, and not the quality of the #2 receiver.

Whether it's important to have deeper attempts is another topic, one that we might disagree on.

• Like 2