Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 8 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

This was the worst, most terrible, most incompetent, most absolutely insanely ugly good game I've ever seen out of a quarterback.

The man was dead.  He.  Was.  Dead.  Backed up inside his own 20 and limping from an earlier hit on his knee, hadn't gotten any real yardage or gotten anything going at all againsst Denver's D, he looked completely lost.

And then that final drive happened.  Starting with an absolute Houdini act that got us into midfield and then some superb management to put the team in FG range.  AV comes through in the clutch after he was potentially one of the game's dogs.

Let me be clear, brissett didn't just look overmatched.  He WAS overmatched.  Until the very moment when he suddenly wasn't and led a brilliant drive to take the game away from Denver.

We'll be arguing about this one all week, but the guy just pulled magic out of literally nowhere to somehow salvage a game when he had nothing working.  That's impressive.  It's beyond impressive.  It's the kind of thing that wins playoff games

Wow

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

This was the worst, most terrible, most incompetent, most absolutely insanely ugly good game I've ever seen out of a quarterback.

The man was dead.  He.  Was.  Dead.  Backed up inside his own 20 and limping from an earlier hit on his knee, hadn't gotten any real yardage or gotten anything going at all againsst Denver's D, he looked completely lost.

And then that final drive happened.  Starting with an absolute Houdini act that got us into midfield and then some superb management to put the team in FG range.  AV comes through in the clutch after he was potentially one of the game's dogs.

Let me be clear, brissett didn't just look overmatched.  He WAS overmatched.  Until the very moment when he suddenly wasn't and led a brilliant drive to take the game away from Denver.

We'll be arguing about this one all week, but the guy just pulled magic out of literally nowhere to somehow salvage a game when he had nothing working.  That's impressive.  It's beyond impressive.  It's the kind of thing that wins playoff games

Wow

No impressions. ugly game,but we won

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Wow

The O line was over matched.    Any qb would have struggled .   He made a monster play when they needed it

Very few QBs in the league escape that situation on the goalline and even fewer make that throw. Huge props to Brissett for the play he made especially with the background of the entire game he and the entire offense had(including Frank). The OLine was outplayed, Frank IMO was outcoached by Fangio O vs D. The receivers had trouble getting open. 

This was way too close for comfort. Props to the defense for keeping it close so we can rely on that miracle play from Brissett and a couple of extra lucky breaks(horsecollar tackle) on that final drive. 

Phew! :thmdown:

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The O line was over matched.    Any qb would have struggled .   He made a monster play when they needed it

Hopefully our young OL learned something.  They were facing  one of the league's best front 7s, so they were fighting uphill a bit from the getgo, but that's also where some of the best learning happens

they managed to get it going in the closing minutes.  I think that speaks to good physical conditioning and the leadership's ability to keep their young OL confident

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

Hopefully our young OL learned something.  They were facing  one of the league's best front 7s, so they were fighting uphill a bit from the getgo, but that's also where some of the best learning happens

they managed to get it going in the closing minutes.  I think that speaks to good physical conditioning and the leadership's ability to keep their young OL confident

I don't think they got it together in the closing minutes.     Jacoby pulled a Houdini act after nearly getting sacked.     If not for that we lose

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In chat I compared this to Tom Brady's game winning drive in Superbowl 36, the one that jumpstarted his career.  All of a sudden, nothing to suggest anything had changed, Brissett starts executing at the last minute and hauls his team bodily to a win.

The difference is that that young Tom Brady probably gets pancaked in the endzone during the Houdini play.

• Like 1

I think this is just a sign we have a really good team. We won a game today where we played pretty poorly.

I put the offensive performance squarely on Frank. He normally calls a good game, but his play calling in the first half was atrocious. Jacoby was coming off his best performance and it was like he didnt trust him at all. 

The defense played ok. Not great, not poorly, just ok. Rock had a horrible game even though I felt at least 3 of those calls were nonsense. But we only gave up 13 points, and allowed our offense a chance to steal it in the closing seconds. 

Jacoby isnt a top tier QB. But he is not incapable of making big plays when we need him to, and he proved it once again today. Not a great performance, but how can you be too critical when he basically won us the game with his Houdini act on the final drive? 

We should be 6-1. And this game shouldn't have been this close. He is steering the ship. Sometimes it's boring, but all that matters is we get to our destination, and we are on our way. What a great start to the season. So many people just wrote us off when Luck stepped away. And here we are, in perfect position to get a division title and another trip to the playoffs. 

• Like 3

It wasn't a great game by Brissett, but when it mattered he made one of the best plays I've seen from a QB in recent memory. Absolutely insane he got away from Miller and threw a PERFECT pass on a rope to Hilton 40 yards down the field. He got the ball with less than two minutes to go and got us into field goal position for the win. That's clutch and it was a hell of a play by him. 

Brissett is what he is, I don't think he's an elite quarterback ala a Brady or a Rodgers, but he's a really damn good QB.

Another guy who played great today was Banogu.

He had a sack wiped out by penalty, but he iced the game for us and was getting pressure all day. Not sure how many snaps he got but I hope he gets more moving forward.

That could be huge for us with Turay out. We need him to step it up and he did today. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

We should be 6-1. And this game shouldn't have been this close. He is steering the ship. Sometimes it's boring, but all that matters is we get to our destination, and we are on our way. What a great start to the season. So many people just wrote us off when Luck stepped away. And here we are, in perfect position to get a division title and another trip to the playoffs. 

will ferrell agree GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Denver has a legit SB defense. If they only had a offense. JB has balls hitting that pass to Hilton. It takes a very tough player to do that. That is what makes players great. When things aren’t working you come up at the end. That took guts. Oline was just bad.

LOL, they just lost 30-6 last week. They're passing D is very good, their run D is bad to mediocre. Fournette ran for 200+ yards against them, with Minshew putting up 200+ and 2 TDs (and that was in Denver). It's not a SB D.... 

Denver just did to us what most teams have done and will continue to do (focus on stopping the run and TY). JB had fantastic play, but a bad game. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, they just lost 30-6 last week. They're passing D is very good, their run D is bad to mediocre. Fournette ran for 200+ yards against them, with Minshew putting up 200+ and TDs (and that was in Denver).

Denver just did to us what most teams have done and will continue to do (focus on stopping the run and TY). JB had fantastic play, but a bad game. 

I believe KC only scored one offensive TD. The other one was on defense and the rest were FG I believe.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I believe KC only scored one offensive TD. The other one was on defense and the rest were FG I believe.

Both Matt Moore and Mahomes had TD passes for KC. Matt Moore....... 

What about the Jags game?? Minshew 2 TDs. Fournette 225 yards rushing. In Denver.

45 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

When you do enough to win in your bad games, you're a good QB.

Alright I'll chime in. How is this comment liked so much? There's literally juggernaut defenses that have carried bad QBs throughout the years. That does not make those QBs good because they got a W on a bad day. This is just a silly take.. 

Brisset played subpar. He's still a good QB and that last drive was top notch. But lets give credit to our D for stiffening up and that lucky horsecollar call. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1