Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 8 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

51 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I can't speak for others but that's really not where I'm going for, and I think it's fair to criticise when some of the things we have seen are pretty worrying in some respects in terms of the long term. 

It would be better in some ways if he was truly awful, or truly lights out because you's have a much better idea where this heading. But there is a danger around middle of the road QBs that can land you in continued mediocrity. Probably around the 9-7 to WC and out sort of season consistently. Think Bengals, Chiefs (pre-Mahomes), Texans (the Schuab era) etc etc. 

The worry mainly stems from he should be further along the development road in certain respects having had a season of play, and time to sit and learn from some of the best. Let me put it another way, if a player had knocks on them coming out of college and 3 years later you hadn't seen any improvement would you start to worry if that's just their ceiling? 

As you say we're all Colts fans, of course I'd love him to be the guy, because life is so much better with a good QB. But it's getting old when any discussion about his play that isn't all blue tinted gets labelled as "hate" or "anti Brissett". It's a distraction from the actual football discussion. I get more aggravated by posters who can't substantiate their position, or won't actually have a reasoned conversation. Shouting loudly and often doesn't make you right.  

I think Brissett has all the tools to be a good QB, especially the character, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see progress in key areas after 3 years in the league. 

Side note - Was "Manning up" a pun? If so.... well played.

Getting old?

You dont think the repeated criticisms which noone is really even disagreeing with, get old?

How many times has someone complained about him missing receivers downfield? 

I would guess 500 times, at a bare minimum. In every single thread that bears his name.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Getting old?

You dont think the repeated criticisms which noone is really even disagreeing with, get old?

How many times has someone complained about him missing receivers downfield? 

I would guess 500 times, at a bare minimum. In every single thread that bears his name.

Except people do... 

I'd hope 500 is a purposeful exaggeration. 

11 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Except people do... 

I'd hope 500 is a purposeful exaggeration. 

No it's not,  at all. 

You help derail every single Brissett thread with this nonsense. Which would be fine if you had a new opinion, but you dont. You're trying to justify a hard stance you took before you actually gave the guy a chance to show what he could do. Now he is, and the team is winning, and the discussion hasnt evolved at all. It's just repeating the same things over and over.

We won on Sunday because our QB made a tremendous play in crunch time. And the discussion is about why he isnt a great QB. 

Its mind numbing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Because I can.

Right, so you show up (again) in a thread meant for evaluating Jacoby Brissett to complain (again) about said evaluation. Makes sense.

That's before I mention the completely false characterizations you continue to post about the people who are actually talking football, on a football message board. 

Just now, GoatBeard said:

You help derail every single Brissett thread with this nonsense.

How can a thread meant to discuss JB be derailed by a discussion of JB?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No it's not,  at all. 

You help derail every single Brissett thread with this nonsense. Which would be fine if you had a new opinion, but you dont. You're trying to justify a hard stance you took before you actually gave the guy a chance to show what he could do. Now he is, and the team is winning, and the discussion hasnt evolved at all. It's just repeating the same things over and over.

We won on Sunday because our QB made a tremendous play in crunch time. And the discussion is about why he isnt a great QB. 

Its mind numbing.

what's mind numbing is the fact that most want us to ignore his obvious flaws just cause he has a good game or a good play lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

what's mind numbing is the fact that most want us to ignore his obvious flaws just cause he has a good game or a good play lol

No, I just dont care about his flaws more than the outcome of the game.

We win, I'm good. I'm not a scout. It's not my job to play one online. I'm a fan. My job is to root for the team and relish in their success. 

I just know my role. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No it's not,  at all. 

Its mind numbing.

So clearly stating several times "I want to see where we are at the end of the season" is giving up on a guy. Gotcha.

Discussing Brissett's performance, in a topic about his performance... is derailing it. Gotcha.

Looking a variety of information and discussing it with posters is now classed as a hard stance. Gotcha.

Yet you turning up to everyone Brissett post, to post this very same post and not evolving your position in the slightest... is fine? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Right, so you show up (again) in a thread meant for evaluating Jacoby Brissett to complain (again) about said evaluation. Makes sense.

That's before I mention the completely false characterizations you continue to post about the people who are actually talking football, on a football message board. 

It isnt a false characterization at all.

This is exactly what the anti Jacoby crowd wants to do. You want to argue against Jacoby Brissett and justify a previously stated opinion. That's the agenda.

And I'll post my opinion anywhere anytime I feel the need. And yes, I will continue to call out people when I think they are being ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

It doesn't make any difference right now. I DO NOT want us to change QB right now. Brissett is playing stable enough to give us a chance to win if the rest of the team is performing. We don't have a better solution and if there is even a slight chance that he can elevate his game and show that he's more than a stable game manager I want to see it. I think he deserves every chance to prove himself. 

I feel like I'm repeating myself in every thread - this is not about this season. This season Brissett should get all 16 starts, 1st because he gives us the best chance to win, and 2nd because we need to evaluate him before we have to make a decision on him. This last point is the reason I think it's important to discuss what Brissett is doing and what we can expect of him going forward. The Colts need to know either at the end of this season or at the end of next season whether we should move on from Brissett and draft a new QB or stick with him and give him a franchise QB contract. The answer to this question that Ballard and co will come to will be incredibly important for the short-to-intermediate future of this team. The next 4-5-6 years depend on what we decide Brissett is and whether we think he's good enough to tie ourselves long term to him as our franchise QB. 

I'm not sure JB is the best option.  Hoyer might be.  He played on some bad teams, but also had some good streaks. 

Trubiski is a good example.  It appears that the backup journeyman might move the ball better for the Bears to me despite the fact that Trubisky "won" 12 games last year and would have "won" the playoff game if not for the double doinker.

I definitely think that team needs to look for a new option at QB.

• Haha 1

Man...these threads are bordering on being unreadable because of how defensive people get about another posters opinion of Brissett. Opinions that I rarely ever find hateful, anti-JB, whatever you wanna call it.

It's crazy how this fictional group that "hates" Brissett has been conjured up in these threads. It's a fallacy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

So clearly stating several times "I want to see where we are at the end of the season" is giving up on a guy. Gotcha.

Discussing Brissett's performance, in a topic about his performance... is derailing it. Gotcha.

Looking a variety of information and discussing it with posters is now classed as a hard stance. Gotcha.

Yet you turning up to everyone Brissett post, to post this very same post and not evolving your position in the slightest... is fine? 

I can do that because I didnt take that hard stance to begin with.

My opinions are constantly evolving. I become more impressed with Jacoby Brissett everytime he QBs us to a win. When  and if he stops doing that, I'll evolve some more. 

6 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

We win, I'm good. I'm not a scout. It's not my job to play one online. I'm a fan. My job is to root for the team and relish in their success. 

I just know my role. 

What are you looking for an affirmation group or something?  I'm sure those are out there somewhere.  

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

As you say we're all Colts fans, of course I'd love him to be the guy, because life is so much better with a good QB. But it's getting old when any discussion about his play that isn't all blue tinted gets labelled as "hate" or "anti Brissett". It's a distraction from the actual football discussion. I get more aggravated by posters who can't substantiate their position, or won't actually have a reasoned conversation. Shouting loudly and often doesn't make you right.  

I think Brissett has all the tools to be a good QB, especially the character, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see progress in key areas after 3 years in the league. 

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

This is exactly what the anti Jacoby crowd wants to do. You want to argue against Jacoby Brissett and justify a previously stated opinion. That's the agenda.

And I'll post my opinion anywhere anytime I feel the need. And yes, I will continue to call out people when I think they are being ridiculous. 

Yeah I'm totally dyed in the wall hardcore "Anti-Jacoby" 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Man...these threads are bordering on being unreadable because of how defensive people get about Brissett. Defensive of posts that are genuinely not "hateful" toward Brissett even.

It's absurd how some of you want to make up this fictional group that "hates" Brissett. It's a fallacy.

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's very good and would hate to see a committment to him at this point.  He's like Osweiller or the dude who QB'd NE after Brady went down to 10 wins to me.  Not very good.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nickster said:

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's very good and would hate to see a committment to him at this point.  He's like Osweiller or the dude who QB'd NE after Brady went down to 10 wins to me.  Not very good.

That's exactly what I mean...I very rarely ever see people hating on Brissett. But people come in here with this attitude that anything less than 1000% support for JB is hate/anti-JB/etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Man...these threads are bordering on being unreadable because of how defensive people get. Defensive of posts that are genuinely not "hateful" toward Brissett even.

It's crazy how this fictional group that "hates" Brissett has been conjured up in these threads. It's a fallacy.

Yeah the constant repeating of how Jacpby cant throw the ball downfield is soooooo interesting. We sure need more of that!

• Like 1

Just now, GoatBeard said:

Yeah the constant repeating of how Jacpby cant throw the ball downfield is soooooo interesting. We sure need more of that!

I'll have to check, but I'm sure we don't put a gun to your head when you sign up saying you have to read stuff. I mean you know this is a discussion forum, not an echo chamber right?

Besides, keep up, it's not he can't, it's why he doesn't we wonder about. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No. I'm looking for people who want to actually root for the Colts. Not crap on every win. 

Like a rah rah site or someting?  So you want to come on line and say like Yeah Colts!  Yeah JB!  Year Irsay!  and then you want responses of Yeah Colts!  Yeah JB!  Year Irsay!

How many times do you want that to happen?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not a discussion though.  It's a sharing of a judgment clearly already reached.  I'm not entirely with GoatBeard  here but he has a valid point. 

Opinions aren't changing based on what the man does on the field.  Only the excuses for the predetermined skepticism shift

"can he have a big day for 300+ yards and multiple touchdowns?" 

And then he did that.

"Oh well, can he be good enough to beat quality teams that are over .500 to help us compete for a good playoff seeding."

And then he did that.

"Oh but... but he hasn't had that clutch drive where he took over the game."

And then he did THAT.

"  He stares down receivers, he's a backup, he holds the ball, he didn't do that great in college!  I dunno, shut up!"

At some point people need to start realizing that the minutae of HOW the games are won is beside the point.  A win is a win. 

Jacoby Brissett hasn't cost us a game yet.  He's stolen at least one game, last week against the Broncos.  He's thrown for big yardage against bad secondaries and executed well enough to win against good defenses.

The excuse making for why NOT to accept Brissett is becoming tired, old and ridiculous. At some point you have to stop drawing new lines in the sand and saying "if he crosses THAT line he's my QB" and then responding to him doing it by drawing another line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I just know my role. 

you have to think about more than just the win we are struggling to beat garbage can teams that isnt a good sign when your goal is to be in the playoffs cause there wont be any garbage teams then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That's exactly what I mean...I very rarely ever see people hating on Brissett. But people come in here with this attitude that anything less than 1000% support for JB is hate/anti-JB/etc.

I don't think this is specific to Brissett. Natural cycle on the forums, something polarises, and you get posters you get very loud, then vanish. 

The ones who have stuck around for a lot longer tend to be more middle of the road about things on the whole. Besides you get to "know" people and things like respect get built up so you can have conversations without some of the theatrics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

It's not a discussion though.  It's a sharing of a judgment clearly already reached.  I'm not entirely with GoatBeard  here but he has a valid point. 

Opinions aren't changing based on what the man does on the field.  Only the excuses for the predetermined skepticism shift

And then he did that.

"Oh well, can he be good enough to beat quality teams that are over .500 to help us compete for a good playoff seeding."

And then he did that.

And then he did THAT.

"  He stares down receivers, he's a backup, he holds the ball, he didn't do that great in college!  I dunno, shut up!"

At some point people need to start realizing that the minutae of HOW the games are won is beside the point.  A win is a win. 

Jacoby Brissett hasn't cost us a game yet.  He's stolen at least one game, last week against the Broncos.  He's thrown for big yardage against bad secondaries and executed well enough to win against good defenses.

The excuse making for why NOT to accept Brissett is becoming tired, old and ridiculous. At some point you have to stop drawing new lines in the sand and saying "if he crosses THAT line he's my QB" and then responding to him doing it by drawing another line.

That's a bit of a generalisation which is somewhat unfair. 

From my own personal point of view, the line hasn't moved, it's too early to make that judgement as you say. I've said from the outset, it's at least this whole season. Is that not a fair place to start from and finish? 

While you can say yes, a win is a win, over a small sample size teams can win in many ways. That doesn't always make them good teams as such. I'm thinking more about the longevity of past this season. Consistently good teams tend to have a few things in common, a franchise QB being one of them.

You can enjoy the Colts winning, and want them to win, while still discuss them objectively. It's not an either/or and that's how this seems to being now painted. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

That's the biggest pile of horse dung I've seen on this board all day. Post it all you want but it will continue to be horse dung.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

you have to think about more than just the win we are struggling to beat garbage can teams that isnt a good sign when your goal is to be in the playoffs cause there wont be any garbage teams then.

We are struggling to pull wins out of every game to be honest.  They've all been close. I'm not sure how much that sign is worth at this point because I've seen better quarterbacks lose to lesser competition. I've certainly seen Andrew and others do it before.  I'm not sure how much of an indictment this is against Jacoby yet.  Denvers been the worst team to be honest.  I thought we should have had a pretty good victory against them, but I didn't realize how good they were on the defensive end of things.  I mean you can say Atlanta but they have some offensive weaponry and they hit us at a time when our own D wasn't playing very well.   I want to see what this thing looks like when Funchess gets back and we finally start making optimal use of Campbell and Cain.  If the offense is still kind of so so after that then that's when my antennas are going to start raising up a bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

We are struggling to pull wins out of every game to be honest.  They've all been close. I'm not sure how much that sign is worth at this point because I've seen better quarterbacks lose to lesser competition. I've certainly seen Andrew and others do it before.  I'm not sure how much of an indictment this is against Jacoby yet.  Denvers been the worst team to be honest.  I mean you can say Atlanta but they have some offensive weaponry and they hit us at a time when our own D wasn't playing very well. 

Yup, all of our games have been decided by a score or less. To me, that's hard to sustain in a general sense.

The Steelers (who I still respect defensively and we'll be on the road) and Dolphins games could be very telling about the team as a whole. Because right now we seem to play to our opponents level, although that's kind of a broad generalization.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

And then he did that.

And then he did that.

And then he did THAT.

This is also a false characterization. And I'm speaking for myself personally (and mostly), but I think what I'm saying here applies to other posters on this topic as well. This false characterization is junk.

First, evaluating the play of the QB is part of evaluating the team. As someone else said already, if the evaluation of the QB was going to begin and end with whether the team won or not, then this thread would be one post every week. That's not real evaluation, and we all know it. That's the big thing. The Colts winning and the quality of the QBing are two different topics.

Second, I don't know where you get this whole 'changing arguments' stuff from. That's not what's happening. The questions about JB's play have been the same all season long. Just because he had 300 yards against the Falcons doesn't mean all those questions go away. Just because we beat the Chiefs doesn't mean JB is great.

Lastly, evaluating JB isn't an indication that anyone is refusing to "accept" JB. Saying 'I think for JB to be successful long term, he needs to do better at X, Y and Z' isn't railroading him or asking for him to be cut from the team. With as defensive as the Stop Picking on JB! brigade has been, you'd think people are picketing him outside the stadium. No one is. Your characterization of the JB evaluation is false, top to bottom.

I've said since 2017 that I really like JB. I've said since 2017 that I think some fans overrate JB, and I've said since 2017 that there are specific things I think he needs to do to get better as a QB. And now that he's our starter, those specific things are very important to me, because for the Colts to get to where we all hope they can, I think we need JB to play QB better than he has so far.

And if you think that makes me anti-JB, or if you think that's me not accepting JB, then bottom line, full stop, you're absolutely 100% wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, all of our games have been decided by a score or less. To me, that's not really quite sustainable in a general sense.

The Steelers and Dolphins games could be very telling about the team as a whole. Because right now, we seem to very much play to our opponents level, good or bad.

I think we are scoring a decent amount of points in most of our games.  It's just kind of been a mix of different factors.  In multiple occasions the D gave up too many points.  In other occasions like Tenn and Denver Jacoby couldn't really muster any drives.  Our games kind of go like the old Patriots squads in Bradys early years where they would consistently eek out a cluster of wins, while on the outside they were envying and wondering how they could put up points like the Colts. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, all of our games have been decided by a score or less. To me, that's hard to sustain in a general sense.

The Steelers (who I still respect defensively and we'll be on the road) and Dolphins games could be very telling about the team as a whole. Because right now we seem to play to our opponents level, although that's kind of a broad generalization.

I fully expect the Steelers game to be a battle.  That's just how it is with the Steelers.  We'll probably lose or eek out a win most likely.  I don't expect a convincing win.   I will say it should be more interesting this time around now that Pagano isn't here to take us into that game unprepared. 

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we are scoring a decent amount of points in most of our games.  It's just kind of been a mix of different factors.  In multiple occasions the D gave up too many points.  In other occasions like Tenn and Denver Jacoby couldn't really muster any drives.  Our games kind of go like the old Patriots squads in Bradys early years where they would consistently eek out a cluster of wins, while on the outside they were envying and wondering how they could put up points like the Colts. 

Spot-on comparison. This team constantly reminds me of those old Pats squads.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

We're 16th in scoring (22.6), 15th in point differential (+7).

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 4:19 PM, Imgrandojji said:

This was the worst, most terrible, most incompetent, most absolutely insanely ugly good game I've ever seen out of a quarterback.

The man was dead.  He.  Was.  Dead.  Backed up inside his own 20 and limping from an earlier hit on his knee, hadn't gotten any real yardage or gotten anything going at all againsst Denver's D, he looked completely lost.

And then that final drive happened.  Starting with an absolute Houdini act that got us into midfield and then some superb management to put the team in FG range.  AV comes through in the clutch after he was potentially one of the game's dogs.

Let me be clear, brissett didn't just look overmatched.  He WAS overmatched.  Until the very moment when he suddenly wasn't and led a brilliant drive to take the game away from Denver.

We'll be arguing about this one all week, but the guy just pulled magic out of literally nowhere to somehow salvage a game when he had nothing working.  That's impressive.  It's beyond impressive.  It's the kind of thing that wins playoff games

Wow

I've appreciated the thought you put into these threads.  They've had a lot of great post game discussion around more than just Jacoby Brissett.

However, there are some issues with the discussion that make us think that it's time for some parameters around this topic.

Moving forward, all posting about Jacoby Brissett will be in one thread.  It is here: 

If you want to continue creating a weekly thread about the game, you are welcome to do so.  

All threads about Jacoby Brissett will be merged into the perma merge thread.

13 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wrote this earlier - IMO this is not us "playing to the level of the competition". This is just a signifier of how good this team is - namely good not great. IMO one of the biggest reasons we don't blow out teams is that our offense lacks explosive element. This is the easiest way to rack up points and rack up point differential(aka blow teams out)... we just lack that aspect right now because whether people here think Brissett can make all the throws or not, whether you put the blame on the receivers or the QB, the reality is we don't throw the ball downfield. We are a slow offense(I think the stat was us being bottom 3 in pace in game-neutral situation for the first 5 weeks or so), we run a lot, we lack deep passing game. All of those things contribute lowering the variance of our offensive output and lowering the chance of us blowing teams out. At the same time we are good/solid enough to hang with most teams so we are not getting blown out either. We are a good, not great team that can beat almost anyone, but can also lose to almost anyone too. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Let’s take a look back. Chargers game was not because of pts. We were in scoring position I believe on almost every drive. The defense was not great. Atlanta game was again on the defense. Offense scored on all but one drive. Oakland was a mixture of both defense and offense. TN and Denver have very good defenses and we won both. We were in complete control of that Texans game and it wasn’t as close as it ended up. So the close games weren’t all on the offense. The KC game we drove the field also but we did kind of struggle in the res zone.