Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 8 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

5 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Alright I'll chime in. How is this comment liked so much? There's literally juggernaut defenses that have carried bad QBs throughout the years. That does not make those QBs good because they got a W on a bad day. This is just a silly take.. 

Are you willing to claim that we have a juggernaut defense?

Brissett arguably carried the team to its last 2 wins.  The D was only really dominant against KC missing 2 WRs.

We have a good defense.  Don't get me wrong,  But we by no means have a "carry a complete nobody into the playoffs" caliber D. Brissett has had to carry his weight.  And for the most part he's done it even when it wasn't gorgeous.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

The one thing I am missing without this offense is someone in the slot . I don’t understand how Campbell is barely being used.

I'm thinking it's got to be a combo of the missed time in camp with the hammy and his abdomen injury.

Looks to be stumbling out of the gate so to speak.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, they just lost 30-6 last week. They're passing D is very good, their run D is bad to mediocre. Fournette ran for 200+ yards against them, with Minshew putting up 200+ and 2 TDs (and that was in Denver). It's not a SB D.... 

Denver just did to us what most teams have done and will continue to do (focus on stopping the run and TY). JB had fantastic play, but a bad game. 

I don't think u can judge the Broncos D and how they played against the Jags.  One bad performance does not define a D. Their D played  lights out today.  They have a lot of pride and have heard the trade rumours all week. Fangio  is probably one of the greatest D coordinators of all time. Plus, Mahommes is injured and the rest of their division sucks.  They probably saw this as their make or break game of the season.

Jacoby has beat two of the better defenses in the league in Denver and the titans. Broncos allow 19.4 pts per game. If we hadn’t missed field goals we would of got that. Playing these defenses will help in the playoffs if we end up playing teams like NE. Not every game is going to be great. It’s about winning the game when everything is on the line. He did that.

14 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Are you willing to claim that we have a juggernaut defense?

Brissett arguably carried the team to its last 2 wins.  The D was only really dominant against KC missing 2 WRs.

We have a good defense.  Don't get me wrong,  But we by no means have a "carry a complete nobody into the playoffs" caliber D. Brissett has had to carry his weight.  And for the most part he's done it even when it wasn't gorgeous.

we held the broncos to 13 points though and kc to 13  most of the wins came when the defense played well against the titans too . at least 3 games were won by defense and run game. 

even the texans game without the turnovers colts would of held them to under 20 points .   jacoby had two good games out of 7  really .   he is solid not bad but not good . he is middle of the pack right now and prob will get better but i dont see a top 10 QB in the future .   he will be in the 10 to 12 range unless he improves .

26 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Alright I'll chime in. How is this comment liked so much? There's literally juggernaut defenses that have carried bad QBs throughout the years. That does not make those QBs good because they got a W on a bad day. This is just a silly take.. 

Brisset played subpar. He's still a good QB and that last drive was top notch. But lets give credit to our D for stiffening up and that lucky horsecollar call. 

Yeah...you won't find a lot of objectivity in this thread. But they got the win...and they move on.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

we held the broncos to 13 points though and kc to 13  most of the wins came when the defense played well against the titans too . at least 3 games were won by defense and run game. 

even the texans game without the turnovers colts would of held them to under 20 points .   jacoby had two good games out of 7  really .   he is solid not bad but not good . he is middle of the pack right now and prob will get better but i dont see a top 10 QB in the future .   he will be in the 10 to 12 range unless he improves .

Nothing wrong with that. We aren't going to have the best QB every year anymore. 20 years of it is more then most fanbases get in their lifetime.

Just now, shastamasta said:

Yeah...you won't find a lot of objectivity in this thread. But they got the win...and they move on.

Wow, fans happy their team won. Madness.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Nothing wrong with that. We aren't going to have the best QB every year anymore. 20 years of it is more then most fanbases get in their lifetime.

Wow, fans happy their team won. Madness.

Exactly...and after that last drive...there isn't going to be much bad things to say. I have always thought this thread should be posted the next day.

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

Brissett keeps making % happen, week after week. He hasnt been perfect, but he’s been decisive, hard working and ballsy. This man has been leading this team to wins. I had my doubts but I think he’s the one for this team.

Decisive? No, just no he isn’t. He is holding the ball too long. Decisive would be 123 throw or even 12345 steps and fire. He is just holding too long. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

The O line was over matched.    Any qb would have struggled .   He made a monster play when they needed it

The oline wasn’t dominate today for sure but the Denver defense isn’t a slouch. The refs didn’t play well today and JB isn’t getting the ball out quick enough. I miss Manning and his decisiveness. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Im sure he never thought of that.    Hard to get rid of it if nobody is. open

He either isn’t seeing open receivers, the defense is holding and not getting called (we sure were) the receivers aren’t running good routes or the coaching plans and adjustments aren’t good. Something isn’t right. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Its obvious we need some real receivers.

Do we? Not one person can get open but TY out of all the guys we’ve had in and out of the team? Is it the players or is it the schemes? I’m questioning some of these routes and play calls. Offense was out coached today by a DC we fired and is now a head coach. 

Not his best game but you will have that against good defense.  In the end he did what good QBs do.  He found a way to win when he was given the ball with two minutes to go.  Also that escape and throw to TY might be the best play he’s ever made.  Not many QBs have the ability to escape the sack first of all and then the pose not to run on what became a busted play and kept looking downfield and hit TY for a huge gain.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The one thing I am missing with this offense is someone in the slot . I don’t understand how Campbell is barely being used.

I was at the game up high so I had a nice view of the WRs.  The Colts WRs as a group don’t get very much separation.  Honestly Doyle got the best separation most of the day.  A lot of that credit goes a very good Broncos defense but I do sometimes think it’s not always how they are being used as much as it is they just don’t get open.  Add in the fact Jacoby isn’t going to force it (he only did that once today) and that explains a lot.

13 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Decisive? No, just no he isn’t. He is holding the ball too long. Decisive would be 123 throw or even 12345 steps and fire. He is just holding too long. 

The oline wasn’t dominate today for sure but the Denver defense isn’t a slouch. The refs didn’t play well today and JB isn’t getting the ball out quick enough. I miss Manning and his decisiveness. 

He either isn’t seeing open receivers, the defense is holding and not getting called (we sure were) the receivers aren’t running good routes or the coaching plans and adjustments aren’t good. Something isn’t right. 

Do we? Not one person can get open but TY out of all the guys we’ve had in and out of the team? Is it the players or is it the schemes? I’m questioning some of these routes and play calls. Offense was out coached today by a DC we fired and is now a head coach. 

Why would he throw the ball if no one is open? You want him to throw picks like against Oakland?

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't think u can judge the Broncos D and how they played against the Jags.  One bad performance does not define a D. Their D played  lights out today.  They have a lot of pride and have heard the trade rumours all week. Fangio  is probably one of the greatest D coordinators of all time. Plus, Mahommes is injured and the rest of their division sucks.  They probably saw this as their make or break game of the season.

Denver's D is good no doubt. I wouldn't call them "SB" level great. I agree Fangio is awesome, and he does a very good job in terms of game plans and mixing up looks and disguising. He did today, what teams have done vs us, and will continue to do, so I don't see their effort today as out of the ordinary. It was actually pretty predictable. 

I'm glad we goy the W, but a lot today was mediocre to bad, and honestly concerning. In no particular order....

1) AV's demons are back and almost cost us the game

2) Too many penalties. RYS good lord. 10-103, thank goodness Denver had 10 too.

3) O playcalling was extremely predictable

4) 3rd down efficiency 4-12... 

5) JB's TTT seemed much worse today (holding on to the ball to long)

6) Missing open receivers, especially over the top. Several times Denver was playing shallow and we had guys quickly behind the D. An easy pop pass would have went for big yards. The worst was the play immediately after JB got knocked to the ground. 2 different guys had beat their guys (quickly) and were open straight up the seam. 

7) Trying not to overreact, but JB's put it on the turf twice now in pivotal situations (close games).

8) We have yet to win a game by more than 7pts. And that's against opponents witch are like 23-30 (W/L). And 4 of our 7 opponents are in the bottom half in terms of D ypg.

So happy for JB's miraculous play and for that horse collar penalty. Incredible ending to a very frustrating game. 5-2... I'll take it.

Go Raiders, Browns, and Greenbay!

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I was at the game up high so I had a nice view of the WRs.  The Colts WRs as a group don’t get very much separation.  Honestly Doyle got the best separation most of the day.  A lot of that credit goes a very good Broncos defense but I do sometimes think it’s not always how they are being used as much as it is they just don’t get open.  Add in the fact Jacoby isn’t going to force it (he only did that once today) and that explains a lot.

Shouldn’t Campbell be used to the slot. We need to use his speed more. Maybe it’s just because he isn’t fully back from the injury.

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

Lol... Yes I think we will always miss arguably the best QB ever.

How dare Jacoby not be as good as Peyton.. Lol

Dear lord,  nobody is comparing those two at all but if you didn’t see JB as a statue holding the ball all day, you aren’t watching objectively 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Brissett is what he is, I don't think he's an elite quarterback ala a Brady or a Rodgers, but he's a really damn good QB.

I wouldn't say Brady is Elite. He might be "Elite" in that system but so would almost any decent qb. Remember how well Cassel did when Brady went down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Was he a statue on the 35 yarder to TY?

Seriously, that’s your lame argument for him today? It was 58:20 seconds of non quality offense. It’s on every member of it from JB to Frank   Everyone is so sensitive to lay any poor play on JB. He didn’t play well. He held the ball too long. Was it 100% on him? Don’t know but he had the ball in his hand too long and if we expect to win games over tough defenses moving forward, our game plans better scheme quicker reads for JB. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jdubu said:

Seriously, that’s your lame argument for him today? It was 58:20 seconds of non quality offense. It’s on every member of it from JB to Frank   Everyone is so sensitive to lay any poor play on JB. He didn’t play well. He held the ball too long. Was it 100% on him? Don’t know but he had the ball in his hand too long and if we expect to win games over tough defenses moving forward, our game plans better scheme quicker reads for JB. 

We just won one over a very good defense.