Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Switching Braeden Smith back to RG

I think Smith is a very solid option at RT, but I do believe he is the weak link on the OL so far this year.

Is it just me that would like to see us move him back inside and draft a tackle to compete with him during TC? I think he would be a top 5-10 guard in the league vs a top 30 RT.

He would obviously need to put on some more weight, but I think his skill set best fits him at guard. 

I would tend to agree overall that his better position may be RG

I also agree that we need to invest early in a OT (one of the first 3 picks) 

Smith is solid on run, but needs some help on the elite DE's

He is STILL better than most at RT though.

When AC does retire, or play elsewhere, we need a LT.... that person is not on the roster today

• Like 1

Smith could be better at RG, but I would much rather address the DT position way before drafting a OT high in the draft next year. Costanzo still has another 3 good years left in him, and our OL is great right now, provided we get some depth players in the later rounds with promise. 

Unless a stud OT is available, gotta keep beefing up this defense.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I think Smith is a very solid option at RT, but I do believe he is the weak link on the OL so far this year.

Is it just me that would like to see us move him back inside and draft a tackle to compete with him during TC? I think he would be a top 5-10 guard in the league vs a top 30 RT.

He would obviously need to put on some more weight, but I think his skill set best fits him at guard. 

perhaps but he blocked 3 defenders all by himself last night and shoved them back.  If hes a weak link, that's still a fairly solid and strong link

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glowinski is the weak link on the OL (and he's not even bad, he's a pretty solid player, it's just he's the weakest of the five imo). 

If we can find an upgrade at RT and move Smith to RG, that would work. But our offensive line is pretty damn good, if Glowinski is your weak link then you're in good shape. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

perhaps but he blocked 3 defenders all by himself last night and shoved them back.  If hes a weak link, that's still a fairly solid and strong link

I'm not saying he is not doing his job by any means, but I just think he would be a GREAT RG rather than a little above average RT.

The pressure has been coming off the edge from the right side the last couple of games when we are getting pressured. Given, part of that is on Brissett for not stepping up in the pocket 

• Like 1

Not sure some here even realize that last night was Smith’s 16th NFL start at RT.   So Smith is literally learning on the fly.    And he’s doing a decent job.  And, because he’s new to the position, he’s going to get better. 

This off-season Reich called Smith the best kept secret in the NFL,  so I’m afraid those hoping for s change are going to be disappointed.    The moment we gave Glowinski the big contract he was set at RG and Smith was set at RT.   Period.   Debate over. 

Sorry...    but this idea that either is a weak link worthy of being replaced is beyond silly.   They’re solid players that the team is happy with, whether some here are satisfied or not. 

• Like 1

No matter where, I think it's in our best interest to continue to add to this OL.  It is obviously helping the rest of the team, and it will help Brissett and the RB's find room to operate and control the clock.  And adding Nelson, who I was in favor of after Chubb, has completely changed the complexion of this unit.  Imagine adding another Nelson (if that player is even out there) to this unit!  I'm ALL IN on adding another kick-* fatty to this already rising group.

• Like 1

Why look to change a good thing? Glow is doing a solid job at RG. Smith is doing very well at RT. I understand the need to find another young Tackle, preferably in the draft next year, but there is no need to replace anyone right now. And for the record, I'm for bringing AC back. He's a rock solid LT. Sign him to top $ for two years. 

The left side is all pro caliber. The right side is the weak link.  However,  how many assets do u  want to continue to invest in the O line?  It's very good so it is the least of our worries.  We need DTs badly....at least 2 more and a wr if Cain and Campbell don't show signs of developing. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 7:37 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure some here even realize that last night was Smith’s 16th NFL start at RT.   So Smith is literally learning on the fly.    And he’s doing a decent job.  And, because he’s new to the position, he’s going to get better. 

This off-season Reich called Smith the best kept secret in the NFL,  so I’m afraid those hoping for s change are going to be disappointed.    The moment we gave Glowinski the big contract he was set at RG and Smith was set at RT.   Period.   Debate over. 

Sorry...    but this idea that either is a weak link worthy of being replaced is beyond silly.   They’re solid players that the team is happy with, whether some here are satisfied or not. 

I would expect that we will draft a T/G as early as rd 3 or higher.
 And that player will be expected to give competition to Glow.
  We will see who is happy then. 

On 10/7/2019 at 12:48 AM, Colts1324 said:

Smith is currently PFF 15th ranked T.
 Glow is 38th G.
  It is a long season of course, and matchups mater.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:37 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Good point, not everyone is instant domination like Big Q

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2019 at 5:34 PM, Hoose said:

Why look to change a good thing? Glow is doing a solid job at RG. Smith is doing very well at RT. I understand the need to find another young Tackle, preferably in the draft next year, but there is no need to replace anyone right now. And for the record, I'm for bringing AC back. He's a rock solid LT. Sign him to top $ for two years. 

If they re-sign AC, it’s going to require at least 3 years and not 2. Now they could just franchise him and draft a LT but at the play he is currently giving the team, I’d go ahead and give him the LT money. Long season ahead so let’s see how he holds up. 

Fair enough. 3 years is not outrageous for a top 25% LT.  AC is one of the best at his position today. If I know Ballard and 3 years is the deal there will be an out after year 2 but AC will get a very fair payday. Everybody wins. AND, if they grab a T with one of their top picks next year, they can groom him. Smith can move to RG when appropriate and the AC apprentice takes over at RT. And waits in the wings for the day when AC isn’t top tier any longer. 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:46 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I think Glow is the weak link but I am starting to agree.  I think we want to try and get Smith inside and get a good tackle to play RT.  Smith can be the backup RT.

This likely would improve both spots on the right side of the line.  

We spent too much money on Glow to make him a backup. 

• Like 1