Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Riding the Brissett Train

Scott Pennock

2 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

You mean the #7 one he stole from Bert Jones?

Number 7 should be retired for Bert Jones.

Jacoby should be assigned a different number.

I cant even see the colts retiring 12 so thats not happening

• Like 3

I'll support JB for as long as he is a Colt, same as any player.

If he is not performing and the team don't move him on then he won't be to blame, the organisation will be.

I will never get over losing Luck but i love the team organisation and hope for better days ahead now that all the uncertainty is out of the way!!

Ok, as far as Andrew's retirement, I say good for him....he knows his body...he knows what's good for his body....and like he said, he's not having fun....Now let be real moving forward with  Jacoby Brisset, this is where Chris Ballard is really going to earning his money...and now he has to dip into his bag of tricks and find a quarterback....Brisset is not going to do it...he is not an elite quarterback... and you are asking him to compete with the top league quarterbacks of the NFL...that not going to happen....the best thing that would happen to Jacoby is if he trips coming out of the tunnel and brakes his ankle in 15 places... one thing is for sure we are going to need a quarterback....or this is going to be another rebuilding year.... Now I do like what I've seen out of Kelly....I would start Kelly over Brisset anyday...

I appreciate how hard it is to get a QB in this league if you don’t already have one.  Drafting a franchise QB in the Top 10 has become less than a 50-50 proposition.  It seems that many here have judged JB on the slimmest amount of info - on his performance two years ago, as a 2nd year player, with a terrible OL, and a bad defense, and coaching and a system that didn’t involve Reich or Siriani.  Oh, and he was starting regular season games days after arrival.

I’m going to wait and see how he looks.    If he looks like at least a league average QB (which I suspect he will), I’d extend him and just think about fostering some depth and competition in that QB room...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nor should it be. They set the bar with Manning but not retiring guys like Freeney, Wayne, Harrison, Saturday, or Mathis.  You have to be franchise changing.

they have a lot of retired numbers from Baltimore, we dont have room to do it for many more

i dont think luck would have been in the discussion yet anyway 

27 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they have a lot of retired numbers from Baltimore, we dont have room to do it for many more

i dont think luck would have been in the discussion yet anyway 

They do but if they felt someone deserved it they would.  Jim Irsay has raised the bar slightly from the Baltimore days and that is not a shot at those players.  They were great but had Jim Irsay owned the team then I don’t think as many of those numbers would be retired.  

3 hours ago, MAv said:

Ok, as far as Andrew's retirement, I say good for him....he knows his body...he knows what's good for his body....and like he said, he's not having fun....Now let be real moving forward with  Jacoby Brisset, this is where Chris Ballard is really going to earning his money...and now he has to dip into his bag of tricks and find a quarterback....Brisset is not going to do it...he is not an elite quarterback... and you are asking him to compete with the top league quarterbacks of the NFL...that not going to happen....the best thing that would happen to Jacoby is if he trips coming out of the tunnel and brakes his ankle in 15 places... one thing is for sure we are going to need a quarterback....or this is going to be another rebuilding year.... Now I do like what I've seen out of Kelly....I would start Kelly over Brisset anyday...

Now I like Kelly too but let us all remember when Brissett first got here and his first couple games went ok there was more than 1 member of this forum actually saying he was better than Luck.  I'm saying this to say we still haven't seen what Kelly would look like after a couple games when the opposing DCs start to hone in on his weaknesses and attack them like they did to expose Brissett. Heck we haven't even seen him play against starting level defenders for that matter. We don't quite know just yet if Kelly truly is better than Brissett. Many of us believe that off of a small sample size.  I do want to see the kid play. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think there is a huge overreaction by fans and the media concerning how far this team falls with Brissett as our QB.   It's like the season and our playoff chances are lost.  He is not Luck of course but he is very capable of leading us into the playoffs and beyond.  If he was a rookie I would be worried but he's far from that.  In my mind the only question is can he bring us from behind in the 4th. qtr. like Luck and win us a close game.  If he can do it then we should be fine.  And I'm sure we will get a chance to find out.  That unknown is why I've lowered my expectations slightly for this year.  We do have a very good team around him though unlike the last time he started.  So we shall see.  I think he has the talent to lead us back into the playoffs.  And I think he will.  All you have to do is get there and anything can happen.  The sky is not falling IMO.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This was from today.  JB and TY have looked good all camp.

I would call that a nice "touch" pass.  Didn't need to see that to say I think JB will be just fine as our #1 this year.  It just may take a series or two to get his feet under him.

I think this is going to be a tough year on this board.  It's clear to see that it's already split into JB vs CK supportets.  Just want to say this early: "we're all Colts fans"!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think in my mind the only question is can he bring us from behind in the 4th. qtr. like Luck and win us a close game.  

Or better yet....can he keep us ahead the whole game and not fall behind and necessitate a comeback? Let’s face it, Luck sometimes made some bonehead passes that lead to interceptions that would cause them to fall behind. Not trying to bash him too much, I love the guy, just keeping it real. I definitely called him out before when he made those passes, drove me crazy!!!!:hairout:

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think there is a huge overreaction by fans and the media concerning how far this team falls with Brissett as our QB.   It's like the season and our playoff chances are lost.  He is not Luck of course but he is very capable of leading us into the playoffs and beyond.  If he was a rookie I would be worried but he's far from that.  In my mind the only question is can he bring us from behind in the 4th. qtr. like Luck and win us a close game.  If he can do it then we should be fine.  And I'm sure we will get a chance to find out.  That unknown is why I've lowered my expectations slightly for this year.  We do have a very good team around him though unlike the last time he started.  So we shall see.  I think he has the talent to lead us back into the playoffs.  And I think he will.  All you have to do is get there and anything can happen.  The sky is not falling IMO.  

In all fairness, coming from behind was not a strength he showed in 2017, so there is some cause for concern there, but he has a better OC and a better system this year.  Hopefully they give him the guidance to succeed.  He does have ability in my opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

In all fairness, coming from behind was not a strength he showed in 2017, so there is some cause for concern there, but he has a better OC and a better system this year.  Hopefully they give him the guidance to succeed.  He does have ability in my opinion.

In all fairness it's pretty tough for any QB to come from behind when he was the most hit and sacked QB in the league at the time.

He has a totally different team and coaching staff around him now.

I agree with you that Brissett has the ability.

Now we just wait.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They do but if they felt someone deserved it they would.  Jim Irsay has raised the bar slightly from the Baltimore days and that is not a shot at those players.  They were great but had Jim Irsay owned the team then I don’t think as many of those numbers would be retired.  

I totally disagree. Every one of those Baltimore Colt players who had their jersey retired deserved it. And more did, such as John Mackey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MAv said:

.the best thing that would happen to Jacoby is if he trips coming out of the tunnel and brakes his ankle in 15 places... 

You posted this exact same crap in the other Brissett thread, and it’s absolute crap. Saying the best thing that can happen to the starting Colts QB is for him to get injured is ridiculous....unreal. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Actually laughing that a guy who we debated as worth a 3rd - 7th round pick a couple of months ago, with stats comparable to Mike Glennon is now being talked up as a replacement for a top 10 quarterback. 

Come on guys. Realism here please.

OK let's be realistic.

Until we give Brissett a chance to fail we don't really know what he is. 

Or would you actually say with your hand on your heart that at any point in the past Brissett has been given the keys to a franchise and a real chance to find out what he is?

The fact is that we don't know what his ceiling is. Not at all.  All we have is what for all intents and purposes was his rookie year, and despite some issues he showed flashes of promise.  Unless your name is Luck or Mahomes, that's all that should be expected of a rookie QB

Brissett's QBR in 2017 was solidly in the middle 15 of NFL quarterbacks, despite the fact that he was getting the crap beat out of him, constant stacks stalling out his attempts to get drives going, and he had very little support from either the O-Line, or the defense, or the run game, and he was, again, effectively a rookie. 

Brissett did rather well in 2017 IMHO.  He put the team in position to win more than half of their games only to run into a defensive breakdowns and not be able to pad the lead due to a combination of porous defense, no ability to establish a supporting run game, and the ever present drive-breaking sacks.

Put the same guy on a team with better rushing, better O-line and a much better defense, and I'd expect him to do exactly what he did in 2017.  Which is, put the team in a position to win a team effort.  Only this time, the team might actually put that effort in.

9 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Actually laughing that a guy who we debated as worth a 3rd - 7th round pick a couple of months ago, with stats comparable to Mike Glennon is now being talked up as a replacement for a top 10 quarterback. 

Come on guys. Realism here please.

No one is saying he is luck. But you don’t need a luck to win a SB. Yes it makes it easier but that is a luxury. How in the heck did the eagles win a SB with Nick Foles. That’s right they had a great team around him. Fact is this offense doesn’t have to change with JB.

• Like 1

Kelly appears to have a much higher ceiling than JB, so if I was King if the Colts I think I’d ride with him at some point. 

I do wonder if we’d have had a legit competition for game 1 starter if it wasn’t for Swag’s suspension. Would have made the final preseason game a lot more exciting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Kelly appears to have a much higher ceiling than JB so if I was King if the Colts I think I’d ride with him at some point. 

I do wonder if we’d have had a legit competition for game 1 starter if it wasn’t for Swag’s suspension. Would have made the final preseason game a lot more exciting. 

Let’s face it if Kelly had not  got in trouble he wouldn’t even be here. He would be somewhere else. The Kelly hype is ridiculous. He hasn’t even played against the ones.

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Kelly appears to have a much higher ceiling than JB, 

I'd love to know what you're basing that on.  Kelly is the kind of preseason quarterback that's a literal dime a dozen, shows flashes in the pan enough to squeak onto the roster as a QB2 or QB3 but if you think for one second he's going to be anything other than a Nathan Peterman redux, odds are you're fooling yourself.

Guys like Kelly come and go, come and go, every year some flash in the pan in the preseason turns into exactly nothing in the long run.  This one happens to have a familiar name.  That's the extent of his relevance.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This might sound crazy so you can laugh at me. I think it is possible to be better without luck. Now here me out. The team as a whole will have to step up and not rely on luck like before.

You? Crazy? :puhleeze:

JK, anything is possible. As we have found out in the last week. Guess you should have stuck with your gut about Luck...who’d a known.:pokerface:

4 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I would call that a nice "touch" pass.  Didn't need to see that to say I think JB will be just fine as our #1 this year.  It just may take a series or two to get his feet under him.

I think this is going to be a tough year on this board.  It's clear to see that it's already split into JB vs CK supportets.  Just want to say this early: "we're all Colts fans"!

I don't really understand the rush to proverbially fall into bed with Chad Kelly.  Kelly hasn't done what he did against first string opponents.  Brissett has several orders of magnitude more experience than Kelly is ever likely to have.

I can only come to the conclusion that people are afraid of what Brissett's going to do, they don't trust him, and so are irrationally clinging to an illusionary alternative.

Because if you realy look at what Kelly is, it's not that easy to tell him apart from 2017 Nathan Peterman or 2011 Curtis Painter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'd love to know what you're basing that on.  Kelly is the kind of preseason quarterback that's a literal dime a dozen, shows flashes in the pan enough to squeak onto the roster as a QB2 or QB3 but if you think for one second he's going to be anything other than a Nathan Peterman redux, odds are you're fooling yourself.

Guys like Kelly come and go, come and go, every year some flash in the pan in the preseason turns into exactly nothing in the long run.  This one happens to have a familiar name.  That's the extent of his relevance.

I’m basing it on my eyeballs, as are everyone else on the Kelly train. Your psychoanalysis about people not trusting Brissett and therefore seeking some alternative savior is goofy. It’s just football. People know what they see. 

Kelly is electric and he’s been electric everywhere he’s ever played. If he hadn’t been a bit immature and hadn’t torn his ACL, he’d have been a first round pick. He had a higher college QBR than Mahomes, Goff, Watson, Prescott, Mayfield, and a slew of other NFL starters. He has the third most offensive yards in a single season in SEC history. He’s not just some scrub who is showing out in the preseason. He has a history of being an elite QB at every level he’s ever played at. It’s not that far fetched he’d do the same if given the opportunity in the NFL.

I seriously have to ask people like yourself if you have actually watched the preseason games? It doesn’t matter if he’s with the 3’s or the 2’s, the offense flows so much better with him out there. It just “looks” right.

Back in 2017, Bill Polian, a man who has forgotten more about football than this entire message board knows, said this about Kelly:

”By the way, the most talented quarterback in the draft is probably Chad Kelly, but he has a ton of baggage”

But of course he was only praising Kelly’s ceiling at the time because he knew that eventually he’d have distrust in Jacoby Brissett and would therefore have to crown Kelly as an alternative to that distrust.

cmon man

• Like 2

Ahh the good old mark 1 eyeball.

personally I don't put a ton of stock in analysis of a guy against third string backups and practice squad players.  if he was doing this against first string NFL caliber competition that would be another thing.

Lots of second and third string career practice squad guys have tons of talent.  Every year one of those guys gets thrown into the fire because someone's best laid plans fall apart and it almost never ends well. Kelly is one of these.  We've all seen guys like this before and most of us know how the script plays out.

As for Polian, you know who spent a lot of time really talking up another of our quarterbacks?  Bill Parcells.  I think the Tuna knows a thing or two about football.

Oh and he wasn't raving about Kelly. He was raving about Jacoby Brissett and comparing him to some of the best character guys he ever coached.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-parcells-is-gushing-over-patriots-rookie-qb-jacoby-brissett/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ahh the good old mark 1 eyeball.

personally I don't put a ton of stock in analysis of a guy against third string backups and practice squad players.  if he was doing this against first string NFL caliber competition that would be another thing.

Lots of second and third string career practice squad guys have tons of talent.  Every year one of those guys gets thrown into the fire because someone's best laid plans fall apart and it almost never ends well. Kelly is one of these.  We've all seen guys like this before and most of us know how the script plays out.

As for Polian, you know who spent a lot of time really talking up another of our quarterbacks?  Bill Parcells.  I think the Tuna knows a thing or two about football.

Oh and he wasn't raving about Kelly. He was raving about Jacoby Brissett and comparing him to some of the best character guys he ever coached.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-parcells-is-gushing-over-patriots-rookie-qb-jacoby-brissett/

Cool quote by Parcells:

“You never really know for sure until you see a player under the gun, so to speak, at the top level,” Parcells continued. “But, that being said. I have a very high regard for this young man. He’s an awesome kid. He’s very bright. He has zero personal issues. He’s a very dedicated, committed guy and I think he’s going to the absolute perfect place for him. They’ve got a great coach, a great organization, and they’ve got a great role model playing that he’ll be able to observe and learn from. It just doesn’t get any better than that. Because of what I think he has, his career is going to develop well.”

Cool quote, but conspicuous in its absence is anything about having elite talent or being an exceptional football player, however.

Nevertheless, I’d rather have high talent than high character if I had to choose a QB. We’d all obviously like a guy with oodles of both, such as our late Mr. Luck or Drew Brees. But those are few and far between. I’d rather have a gunslinger than a game manager.

It’s all academic anyways, because the fact of the matter is that Swag is suspended for two weeks and barring JB crapping the bed or being injured, two things I’d prefer not to see happen, Kelly will be riding the pine with no one to blame but himself.