Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Boo [Merge]

Knuckles79

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

those that did had the right and were justified.

I think justified is the wrong word.  I don't think there is every a valid reason for venting anger in a way that's intended to hurt someone.

I think the booing was understandable and predictable though.

• Like 1

The booing was a knee-jerk reaction to people being upset. This was a gut-punch for all the fans and the last thing anyone expected. 

No one in the organization will ever say anything bad about it, but the timing does set things back an extra year. Knowing this in March would have been better.

Do I think Andrew will regret this? Yes, I do. In a month when the team is struggling under Jacoby Brissett, in a year (or less) when his body feels "fine", and in 10 years when those who played with and against him are being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Certain things can only be done when you are young physically, mentally, and psychologically.   

All that being said, the decision was always Andrew's and none of us have to live with the consequences in any way. 

19 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

All that being said, the decision was always Andrew's and none of us have to live with the consequences in any way. 

The decision was Luck's to make.  He can do whatever he wants.   I wish him well.

However, the fans do have to live with the consequences.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't blame any fans for booing.  They didn't like the decision.  They should boo.  

It was also blown way out of proportion.   Not much booing happened.

https://youtu.be/d3rEy5sbb_w

Luck deserved better than that. The fans look like entitled jerks.  Just a bad look for colts fans and honestly I'm kinda embarrassed to be one right now.  You dont boo a man for retiring. That's his decision to make.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SJG1885 said:

Luck deserved better than that. The fans look like entitled jerks.  Just a bad look for colts fans and honestly I'm kinda embarrassed to be one right now.  You dont boo a man for retiring. That's his decision to make.

If you’re sitting there telling me that two weeks before a season, after telling fans you’re gonna be ready to go, doing exercises showing off your injured ankle isn’t stopping you (at least appearing so), talking about how much you love the game, your franchise quarterback up and retires in the middle of a game with no forewarning, you can’t understand how fans would be frustrated? Even remotely? 

This is entire scenario reminds me of mcdaniels last year who did us dirty in a similar fashion but at least had the decency to let us know in advance.

For Ballard to criticize is hypocritical.

And quit being so dramatic. It was probably less than 1 percent of the attendees that boo’d. Hardly something to be ashamed of as a base.

1 hour ago, bluebombers87 said:

If you’re sitting there telling me that two weeks before a season, after telling fans you’re gonna be ready to go, doing exercises showing off your injured ankle isn’t stopping you (at least appearing so), talking about how much you love the game, your franchise quarterback up and retires in the middle of a game with no forewarning, you can’t understand how fans would be frustrated? Even remotely? 

This is entire scenario reminds me of mcdaniels last year who did us dirty in a similar fashion but at least had the decency to let us know in advance.

For Ballard to criticize is hypocritical.

And quit being so dramatic. It was probably less than 1 percent of the attendees that boo’d. Hardly something to be ashamed of as a base.

I know our players were * about the reaction and so were a lot of players around the league.  It is definitely a bad look for us. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SJG1885 said:

I know our players were * about the reaction and so were a lot of players around the league.  It is definitely a bad look for us. 

They should probably grow a spine.  

If they were offended by fans booing, then we are in huge trouble this season.  

To me it seems the few fans that were there were booing because they were shocked, left out in the dark, and had the rug pulled right from underneath them.  

I've already grown a bit tired of the NFL and usually side with the players, but they are getting so out of touch it's tougher and tougher to cheer these guys on.  

Also Luck and the Colts deserve plenty of blame after that pregame on-field, very public workout last week.

1 hour ago, SJG1885 said:

The Colts look like entitled jerks.  

Not the fans.  

Don't let the suck up sports writers tell you different.  

It's not like a bunch of fans rushed the field and beat him.  

A few hundred booed. Big deal.  

The players need to grow up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJG1885 said:

And why should I care about that? Honestly nothing changes for them. They likely had more notice then the fans.

Luck wants to retire for his health, all for it. Do the decent thing and don’t put on a show a week before showing how recovered he is. Don’t tel fans you’ve been in constant pain for four years (which would mean he lied to us last year when he said he was pain free) as your excuse when players would go through that and worse just to have half of his abilities.

He talked about his shoulder recovery, how’d he injure that again? Snowboarding. The more I think about it, the less honorable he’s becoming.

Again, it’s his call to do what he needs to do. Don’t expect all fans to be happy about it.

Ebron. Leonard. Just a couple of the Colts who have posted media content shaming the fanbase for booing Luck. 

I’m going to have to take a break. It’s aggravating this is getting so much attention. Especially from our own players. 

:facepalm:

10 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Ebron. Leonard. Just a couple of the Colts who have posted media content shaming the fanbase for booing Luck. 

I’m going to have to take a break. It’s aggravating this is getting so much attention. Especially from our own players. 

:facepalm:

Don't forget Nelson 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, Iron Colt said:

Because he absolutely screwed this team by retiring at 29.....2 weeks before the start of the season.

Because he's mentally tired. Are you * kidding me? Tony Romo played in his mid thirties with broken ribs and colar bones. * him. He's a * 

tom hiddleston idiot GIF

• Like 1

Fans are fanatics and some don't care what pain Andrew Luck is going though as long as he wins a Superbowl or two for them. Andew Luck does not owe you anything but should have announce his retirement in the off season. He lost $60 million in future money to retire but all players need bodies after the retire. Junior Seau chased rings but the injuries ultimately cost him his life. Joe Montana is greatest of all time but can't do the same thing normal people do due to injuries. The money whether it being $1 million or $500 million is not worth having a bad quality of life (not being able to walk or brain damage). Luck needed to retire because his bad offensive line could not protect him in more than half his career. 

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

It's a free country, people can boo whatever they want. 

Fans get to boo or cheer.  They paid lots of money for the privilege.   

Luck did what he felt he had to do.  That is up to him.   But his decision hurt some fans, so they can boo if they feel the need.  

Besides, very few actually boo'd.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:40 PM, SJG1885 said:

Agreed, absolutely a bad look.  We owe Luck more than that.

The people who booed may have been within their rights,but they didn't do the image of this franchise any favors at all.

I think Colin Cowherd has had some excellent takes on this.

The people there are in the 4th quarter of a pre-season game.  They've probably had a few to drink, they are diehard fans, many season ticket holders, expecting to watch a superbowl team.  Then with no reasoning or notice they look on their phones and it says their quarterback is quitting 2 weeks before the season.  With no time to process the emotions they became upset.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

It's a free country, people can boo whatever they want. 

Ever heard a Philly crowd?? 

It's a free country.  I can stand on a street corner in downtown Indy yelling racial slurs at people passing by.  Does that mean that I should or that it was right?

24 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Agreed, absolutely a bad look.  We owe Luck more than that.

The people who booed may have been within their rights,but they didn't do the image of this franchise any favors at all.

See the video above, very few boo'd him.   This is ESPN creating a story again.  

Perhaps if Luck hadn't been tweeting and saying he will be ready for game 1.  

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

See the video above, very few boo'd him.   This is ESPN creating a story again.  

Perhaps if Luck hadn't been tweeting and saying he will be ready for game 1.  

Luck doesn't tweet but I did think in interviews he gave the impression he was going to play week 1.  

I think there needs to be a good look inside the organization to find out what the heck is going on with QB injuries.  Because whenever the starting QB is hurt the Colts always seem vague about the injury, give overly rosy projection of recovery, and they seem to always be much worse than they say.  

Are they not detecting deeper issues faster?  

Remember that Luck played for at least a full season with the torn labrum and I thought I had heard that it went back to 2014.  

And then this.  The Calf Strain that went on for 5 or 6 months.  They should have looked deeper into that a long time ago.  

It really feels like they mishandled his injuries a lot which probably made the pain and the rehab a lot worse.  

On 8/26/2019 at 2:20 PM, Myles said:

The decision was Luck's to make.  He can do whatever he wants.   I wish him well.

However, the fans do have to live with the consequences.  

Many of those fans wanted and expected that Luck should have played out this season and then retired.  Who knows what that would have done to his already beaten body.  Those are consequences the fans wouldn't have had to deal with. 

Look folks, what many are saying is correct.  Luck did give up.  He quit.  He said himself he was mentally worn down so those saying that he "wasn't mentally tough enough" are actually correct.  What I don't get is why he's being vilified for it.

Luck wasn't a firefighter that went through all the training, got to his first fire, watched his fellow firefighters go into the burning building and then said, "Nope" and walked away.

Luck wasn't a soldier in the army who went through boot camp, got to his first deployment and walked away from the battlefield leaving his fellow soldiers to potentially die.

Luck was a football player.  He played a game.  A game that is played for entertainment.  A game that he once loved but doesn't any more.  He decided that it wasn't worth it to him to be in constant physical pain so he chose to walk away leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table. 

I get that people are upset.  But for the love of god just put things into perspective.  He's a real man with a real family and he chose his family and quality of life over a GAME.  That's his choice.  Be upset about it, be disappointed...that's understandable.  However painting Luck out to be some sort of loser or a bad person for doing so is just messed up imo.

16 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

giphy.gif

I agree

29 minutes ago, J@son said:

It's a free country.  I can stand on a street corner in downtown Indy yelling racial slurs at people passing by.  Does that mean that I should or that it was right?

I don't think it was right but I think the reaction was an emotional one that came without the benefit of an explanation.  

When Luck says he's in a lot of pain I believe him but the Colts spent so much time downplaying this injury that no one thought that this was something that would lead him to quit football.  

Instead of focusing on a smattering of fans booing a professional athlete, maybe the media should focus on the resulting vile and disgusting rants on social media directed not only at Colts fans, but the entire state of Indiana.  It’s a bit ironic for them to use profanity laced language while calling an entire state stupid, mean, and insensitive.  I’m not aware of booing causing any ongoing social issues, and right or wrong, it’s been around for centuries.  I’m a little more concerned about the intelligence and state of mind of the people on Twitter.

• Like 1

It came out of nowhere after months and months of being told he would be ready to play week 1. Even Luck himself had said he expected to be ready to play when the time came. It came out in a third party tweet IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME with absolutely ZERO context or additional clarifying information. Again, after being told for months that we were just 15 days away from him being ready to go, in a season where we had legitimate championship aspirations. In the middle of a game while he stood down on the sidelines smiling and acting like nothing was amiss.

There isn’t any player in any sport in the world who means to their team what Luck meant to us that WOULDN’T get booed in that exact same situation. Not one. 

The people who are slamming the fans who booed like they are bad fans, and casting a negative light on this are spin doctoring this whole situation to play the good guy and drum up some cheap support with the benefit of 100% HINDSIGHT. 

They need to bend over and blow that line of crap out their butt because that’s what it is: crap. 

We’ve all been mad or upset with someone at one point or other in our lives and gotten over it after the heat of the moment has passed. Most of the people booing don’t hate Andrew Luck. They don’t wish ill on Andrew Luck. They were mad at him in a situation they had every right to be mad at him in. 

Context is king. Put down the spin. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It came out of nowhere after months and months of being told he would be ready to play week 1. Even Luck himself had said he expected to be ready to play when the time came.

And Luck probably meant that when he said it.  Things changed.

It came out in a third party tweet IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME with absolutely ZERO context or additional clarifying information. Again, after being told for months that we were just 15 days away from him being ready to go, in a season where we had legitimate championship aspirations. In the middle of a game while he stood down on the sidelines smiling and acting like nothing was amiss.

You're right...there was no context.  So people just reacted.  This is a guy we've all supported for the past 7 years.  Why not wait until we actually have some context?  How about giving him just the slightest benefit of the doubt?

This is one of my biggest pet peeves....when someone is told something I said, or maybe they even simply misheard what I said and then they get all angry and act out without finding out the truth or even bothering to clarify.  Anytime that happens I tell those people, talk to ME first..before reacting.  If you come at me angry over something that you misunderstood then it's not going to go well. 

The people who are slamming the fans who booed like they are bad fans, and casting a negative light on this are spin doctoring this whole situation to play the good guy

Not even close...I'm not calling anyone a bad fan.  In fact the booing at the stadiums was at least somewhat understandable but still uncalled for imo.  It's some of the comments that have been made on here and other social media platforms that shows some people for what they are...not bad fans, but entirely and inexplicably entitled as people.

They need to bend over and blow that line of crap out their butt because that’s what it is: crap. 

I'd be happy to if you'll promise to stand directly behind me.

Context is king.

This is exactly right...and the people in the stadium had no context, so why react until you find out that context, that clarifying information you mentioned above? 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It came out of nowhere after months and months of being told he would be ready to play week 1. Even Luck himself had said he expected to be ready to play when the time came. It came out in a third party tweet IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME with absolutely ZERO context or additional clarifying information. Again, after being told for months that we were just 15 days away from him being ready to go, in a season where we had legitimate championship aspirations. In the middle of a game while he stood down on the sidelines smiling and acting like nothing was amiss.

There isn’t any player in any sport in the world who means to their team what Luck meant to us that WOULDN’T get booed in that exact same situation. Not one. 

The people who are slamming the fans who booed like they are bad fans, and casting a negative light on this are spin doctoring this whole situation to play the good guy and drum up some cheap support with the benefit of 100% HINDSIGHT. 

We’ve all been mad or upset with someone at one point or other in our lives and gotten over it after the heat of the moment has passed. Most of the people booing don’t hate Andrew Luck. They don’t wish ill on Andrew Luck. They were mad at him in a situation they had every right to be mad at him in. 

Context is king. Put down the spin. 

Great post.   A few fans boo'd the guy who quit on them.   They had a few beers and were in the heat of the moment.   It's no big deal.   It is an ESPN created story for them to run with for a couple days.  Actual video proves quite the opposite.  

1 hour ago, J@son said:

And Luck probably meant that when he said it.  Things changed.

You're right...there was no context.  So people just reacted.  This is a guy we've all supported for the past 7 years.  Why not wait until we actually have some context?  How about giving him just the slightest benefit of the doubt?

This is one of my biggest pet peeves....when someone is told something I said, or maybe they even simply misheard what I said and then they get all angry and act out without finding out the truth or even bothering to clarify.  Anytime that happens I tell those people, talk to ME first..before reacting.  If you come at me angry over something that you misunderstood then it's not going to go well. 

Not even close...I'm not calling anyone a bad fan.  In fact the booing at the stadiums was at least somewhat understandable but still uncalled for imo.  It's some of the comments that have been made on here and other social media platforms that shows some people for what they are...not bad fans, but entirely and inexplicably entitled as people.

I'd be happy to if you'll promise to stand directly behind me.

This is exactly right...and the people in the stadium had no context, so why react until you find out that context, that clarifying information you mentioned above? 

Obviously things changed. But no one knew that. In that stadium no one knew that. 

You cant actually be surprised that people reacted emotionally without knowing or understanding the whole situation. Maybe you’re new to this galaxy or something but that is what is known on this planet as “human behavior”. It’s beeb going on from the dawn of humanity and will continue to happen with a staggering regularity until the human race goes extinct. Save your unrealistic holier than thou expectations for another species because you’re fishing a dry hole here. 

Are there some fans who are genuinely bad fans who will say stupid things either for the sake of saying stupid things or because they just aren’t smart enough not to? 

Yes. Again, this is human nature. There have always been numbers among us who say, think, and believe the dumbest of things. They make up the extremist minority. Just because Jeffery Dahmer thought it was a good time to have his way with people and then cut them up doesn’t mean the rest of us do. The few do not represent the mass populace. 

Welcome to Earth and humanity. Hopefully this crash course will teach you something. 

On 8/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Jordan retired a month before the season in 1993...  :thinking:

And Vontae Davis retired at halftime of a game. 

Of course that’s just useless conjecture as well, because none of these scenarios are anything alike, but it was a nice effort on your part. 

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Obviously things changed. But no one knew that. In that stadium no one knew that. 

That's my point.  People didn't know but went all about reacting anyway. 

You cant actually be surprised that people reacted emotionally without knowing or understanding the whole situation. Maybe you’re new to this galaxy or something but that is what is known on this planet as “human behavior”. It’s beeb going on from the dawn of humanity and will continue to happen with a staggering regularity until the human race goes extinct. 

Sadly I was not surprised.  I expected it.  Doesn't make those people any more right or give any more legitimacy to their actions.  And I wouldn't call it "human behavior" as in that's the way any human would react.  Some people do have a modicum of self control and can hold in those emotions until further information is gathered instead of making a knee-jerk reaction with only partial facts.  Justify it any way you see fit, but knee jerk reactions like those   Just because it's been going on since the dawn of humanity doesn't make it right. 

Save your unrealistic holier than thou expectations for another species because you’re fishing a dry hole here.

How is it "holier than thou" to expect people to exhibit just a twinge of self control?

Welcome to Earth and humanity. Hopefully this crash course will teach you something. 

You've taught me nothing I didn't already know, but thanks for trying I guess.