Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Boo [Merge]

Knuckles79

Booing is completely understandable considering the circumstances (Luck messaging and signaling for months he was playing, warming up and laughing just last week, this coming out mid game with him on the sidelines chilling....).  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nadine said:

my daughter was at the game and we texting me when this came out.  She's a huge fan and very level headed but, she came unhinged for a while.  Didn't boo but she was angry and sympathized with the fans that we leaving their luck jerseys and exiting the stadium.

In the end though, the last thing she said to me was "Imagine quitting your job like this on a national stage.....unreal"

It was

Agreed.  Fans there saw him hanging out on the sidelines  - laughing, smiling and moving around with no apparent difficulty or pain.  Of course they were upset, the vast majority are emotionally invested in the team and its enigmatic (goofy?) former QB.   This is reminiscent of another enigmatic (goofy?) player who "retired" to smoke weed and travel the world.  It's so much easier to be enigmatic (goofy?) with millions in the bank.

Well guys slow down a little bit. I understand the booing as an immediate and EMOTIONAL reaction to shocking news. Especially if you get that during a game, probably as a season ticket holder with huge expectations to the new season. So I don't judge the guys in the stand who booed, I understand it, I don't like the retirement either but I also understand it. Luck is 29years old, for the last years he was the most hit QB every season. He went through some serious injuries while carrying the whole franchise on his back. It's a lot even if you get paid a ton of money and he want's to have a quality life in 10-20 years from now. Don't boo him but thank him for some great years and especially the first years were just amazing with all of that comeback wins. Thank him and keep him in good memories, accept his decisions and move on. No reason to think bad about him. I just hope he stays retired and isn't coming back in a few years like other players. Thank you Andrew!

Fans naturally are, and are encouraged to be, as much of a PART of the team as possible.  NFL wants their fans involved, wants the fans engaged, wants them to make noise when the other team has the ball, wants them to be the 12th man.

Andrew Luck lead the team.

Which means he led the part of the team that consists of fan contribution.

In that respect, he quit right before the entire team, including the fans, was heading into a long battle.

In time, we'll understand his personal decision, and probably both agree and sympathize.

But right now, he let them down, and the fans who thought they were a small part of the team are angry about it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Luck isn't a top 5 Colts.  This franchise has had many great players. There are several Baltimore Colts who were greater Colts than Luck was.  Just because Luck played QB doesn't put him automatically into the top 5.  Luck is 'Indiana Jones' aka the Indy version of Bert Jones.  Lots of potential and a ringless, Super Bowl-less career cut short by injury.  That's the level he is at.

I wonder if he is a ring of honor guy in 5 years. 

39 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

In the heat of the moment, I wanna say I hope not. But in time, I will like to say, he just might. While I absolutely lost it last night, I do understand his decision and can respect him for the decision. Just not the timing

• Like 3

We will see how the fans who are boo hoping over poor Andrew feel when the Colts become the next Brown's.  finishing 8-8 will not.out you in a position to get a franchise quarterback and FA don't come to Indy now, let alone after this.  Luck will take his money and ride I to the sunset.  Everyone says he has done so much, all he did was his job and he got paid well to do it..

S

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

That was simply not the way to break news of this magnitude to a fan base.  The Colts front office and Andrew Luck handled this horribly.  How did they expect some fans would react?  I don't condone it but I get it.  

This is exactly the reason fans booed. It was so raw, so unprofessional in its reporting it this way and fans are an invested group to any team. I’m not upset that Luck decided to hang them up but to expect this kind of team altering news to come out during a game where he is on the sidelines and nobody be upset, that’s unreasonable. 

Whoever let this info out needs fired fires and possibly beaten pretty good. That’s unprofessional in the biggest sense and that person is the reason Luck will be tarnished as a Colt. In a perfect world, Luck would have played out this season and stated this info at the end of the year. I think fans could have accepted this news in a press conference at the end of a season much much better than during the end of preseason game number 3. 

I truly hope Luck has a great and fun life going forward, I think in the end, this will haunt him. I’m glad for anyone to get to spend more time with family and watch their kids grow up, he couldn’t do both as an NFL QB. He chose family over 58 million dollars, that’s a manly thing to do. Now he still holds millions of dollars in his banking account and that helps but still, I can give kudos to him for saying here is 58 million dollars, I’m taking my ball and heading home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I just can’t see him in the ROH now. I don’t think you can quit at the beginning of a season and have no rings and expect to be recognized as a ROH type guy. Unfortunately, his legacy is going to be Bert Jones level. Sadly 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t have booed. He did go through somewhat of a meat grinder for us with all those injuries. Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part that he reconsiders a year or two into it after realizing how much he misses the game.

Booing doesn’t help his fond memories for us, to be honest.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I just can’t see him in the ROH now. I don’t think you can quit at the beginning of a season and have no rings and expect to be recognized as a ROH type guy. Unfortunately, his legacy is going to be Bert Jones level. Sadly 

Bert played through a great many injuries and finally retired as a result of a broken neck! Luck's last straw was a sore ankle or some damned thing.. I could understand this if he had to go through something similar to his shoulder injury.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

You guys are not Philly for booing. I think it was just the shock of learning about this from a reporter’s tweet in the middle of the game. 

We felt bad booing Chris Davis of the Baltimore Orioles , but after all, he was on a 0-54 hitless streak ! 

Sorry...as a fellow suffering O’s fan...Chris Davis deserved to be boo’d and his now long overdue seat on the bench.  That guy has been a financial and on the field disaster. The O’s wasted so much money on this guy and to me he is the poster boy for the mismanagement of that franchise.  

Chris Ballard should have kept quiet about criticizing those fans.  If the organization had handled this better and been more upfront with the fan base about what was really up with Luck this would not have happened.  Letting Colts fans find out in this way was disrespectful.  The booing was showing frustration with the way this was handled.  You got raw emotion from a fan base that was blindsided by the organization they are supposed to trust.  The Colts handled this horribly.  No way around it.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Sorry...as a fellow suffering O’s fan...Chris Davis deserved to be boo’d and his now long overdue seat on the bench.  That guy has been a financial and on the field disaster. The O’s wasted so much money on this guy and to me he is the poster boy for the mismanagement of that franchise.  

You are probably right, especially after going after the manager, who was totally justified pulling him, for continually horrible play. 

Can you imagine if Davis retired like Luck, how much better off the Orioles would be ? They could pay a lot of what they owe the Nationals from the MASN settlement. It would also open things up for Mancini and Mountcastle. 

The main thing I look at is that Davis is stealing money and won’t retire, while Luck left all that money on the table , and retired. Luck’s retirement hurts the Colts short term, but the Davis contract is a mill stone around the Oriole’s necks. Davis should do the right thing, get a small settlement, and retire. That was Peter Angelo’s final folly, and it was a doozy ! 

• Like 1

He left a franchise high and dry 2 weeks before the season starts. 

Did it even though the owner is wondering if it is between his ears and not so much the physical body issues.

He is getting paid $25 M this year to sit on the couch, and will be paid close to $100 M since he signed his new contract to play......ONE SEASON.

Think about that dollar amount.

So yeah, I think Luck can handle a little booing from fans who paid that $100 M.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

One of the top 5 greats we’ve ever had and he gets treated like this it makes me sick! 

Top 5 greats?????

He might not have even been top 5 this year.  Let alone of all time.

What has he ever won?

He led the league in passing I think one year?

Top 5 greats???!!!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Top 5 greats?????

He might not have even been top 5 this year.  Let alone of all time.

What has he ever won?

He led the league in passing I think one year?

Top 5 greats???!!!

He had just moved passed Marty Domres to #21 before the retirement announcement. 

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Bert played through a great many injuries and finally retired as a result of a broken neck! Luck's last straw was a sore ankle or some damned thing.. I could understand this if he had to go through something similar to his shoulder injury.

You know good and well that it’s hyperbole to think he is retiring over a sore ankle. It’s an accumulation of several injuries, however, some of those injuries are from his own doing and some is because the team didn’t initially protect him and he played a bit more reckless as a young QB than he should have. He played like he was a lb’er at times. He shouldn’t have but he was playing like a kid in high school, that’s why so many people loved him. He brought enthusiasm for the game that I wished more did instead of making this their multi million dollar jobs. 

• Like 1

Hate the booing but I’ll give the fans a ‘pass’ on this one.  We’re emotionally invested in our teams and athletes, so when one them abruptly leaves just as things seem to be coming together, it hurts.  If my wife abruptly left me, stating she’s emotionally exhausted, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be thanking her for her sacrifice as she walked out the door, especially if I found out about it on social media.  

What really irks me is all the media and other fan bases, who aren’t emotionally invested in the Colts, piling on and acting as if they’d take the high road if something like this happened to them.  

Certainly not a good look for our fan base, but certainly not outside the bounds of human nature.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You know good and well that it’s hyperbole to think he is retiring over a sore ankle. It’s an accumulation of several injuries, however, some of those injuries are from his own doing and some is because the team didn’t initially protect him and he played a bit more reckless as a young QB than he should have. He played like he was a lb’er at times. He shouldn’t have but he was playing like a kid in high school, that’s why so many people loved him. He brought enthusiasm for the game that I wished more did instead of making this their multi million dollar jobs. 

I agree but I do believe I said; "last straw."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Hate the booing but I’ll give the fans a ‘pass’ on this one.  We’re emotionally invested in our teams and athletes, so when one them abruptly leaves just as things seem to be coming together, it hurts.  If my wife abruptly left me, stating she’s emotionally exhausted, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be thanking her for her sacrifice as she walked out the door, especially if I found out about it on social media.  

What really irks me is all the media and other fan bases, who aren’t emotionally invested in the Colts, piling on and acting as if they’d take the high road if something like this happened to them.  

Certainly not a good look for our fan base, but certainly not outside the bounds of human nature.

Great points.  People always want others to be PC and nice these days.

Uhhhh no.  The guy just screwed over the franchise and the fan base.

Retired 2 weeks before the season

Got paid in full

Played one year out of 5 on his new contract

Got hurt twice doing things off season that have nothing to do with football

No thanks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Great points.  People always want others to be PC and nice these days.

Uhhhh no.  The guy just screwed over the franchise and the fan base.

Retired 2 weeks before the season

Got paid in full

Played one year out of 5 on his new contract

Got hurt twice doing things off season that have nothing to do with football

No thanks.

You were right all along, and I’m man enough to admit it. I still don’t agree with some of the crazy comparisons you made(like bowling.....bruh:lol:), but at the end of the day it was not there anymore between his ears like you and a few others said. I am forever an optimist, and never in a million years would have believed that he would walk away like this, unreal. Yesterday we woke wondering if he’d start game one, and now here we are today.......damn.

I was at the game last night. Yes, there were some boos, but it was a small majority of people. I get there frustration, and I also think it was more towards how this has been handled. After the game I saw many #12 jerseys being burned out on the streets, it was surreal. I was wearing mine, and was told many times to take it off and burn it, but I declined. I’m angry, heartbroken, shocked, etc, but am not going to burn anything over it, life goes on. Oh yeah, and I paid $80 for it 5 years ago, not a fan of throwing money away. The atmosphere walking out of Lucas was sad, dark, shocking. A lot of people kept asking if it was true. I even thought for a small while that we were being trolled, until I watched the presser while walking back to my tailgate. Taking my #12 jersey off last night for the last time was a sad moment. C’est la vie:dunno:

• Like 3

I don’t believe I would have booed Luck, but I understand the emotions that go into being committed to the team as a fan, so I can forgive those who did.  I’m not at all happy with how this was handled by the team or media....who leaked it anyway?

i hope Andrew finds what he is looking for, and hope the damage done to the team is minimal, but it is a bad deal all around. 

• Like 1

Because it’s perfectly normal to be * off at someone. I guarantee you there isn’t a player in the world who means to their team what Luck means to us that wouldn’t get booed in that same spot. Not one single player. We’ve been told for MONTHS he would be ready to go in two weeks. Out of the blue we find out DURING A GAME that he’s quitting. 

Just because fans were * off and booing doesn’t mean they wish ill on him or hate him. I know each and every one of you reading this have, at one time or another, gotten * off at someone and then gotten over it when the heat of the moment has passed.  

• Like 3

I am a big believer in Chad Kelly's talent.  IMO he has a better arm, a quicker release, and is much faster than Luck.

Will he be able to keep his head together?

I sure hope so, because in the long run, with Luck's heart not in it?  This could be the best thing that ever happened to the Colts with Kelly getting a chance.

• Like 1

For those people that booed him and called him names, you guys are not true fans.  No excuses.  You cheer and support your team and players through thick and thin no matter what. Like someone on here mentioned, there are other 31 teams in the league. 

• Like 1

I can’t help but wonder if the people who booed Andrew — and/or continue to give him grief here or elsewhere — would’ve done much the same thing on May 2, 1939....

....that was the day that Lou Gehrig informed Yankee skipper Joe McCarthy that, for the good of the team, he was benching himself due to a then unidentified physical ailment that was making it difficult for him to play at the level he had for 2,130 consecutive games prior to that.

I’m sure there were some Yankee fans who felt a range of negative emotions towards Gehrig.  But nobody, including him, knew at that moment that he would only live for two more years.

Yes, I realize the situations are very different.  My point is not to compare Andrew’s health situation to Gehrig’s.  My point is that we’re not entitled to having our sports heroes perform for us.

Sometimes, no matter how badly they may want to, they simply cannot.  And the truth is that we probably don’t know the whole story about Luck’s health status.  This clearly isn’t a calf strain.