Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Daurice Fountain

Scott Pennock

I'm calling my shot right here, Fountain is making the 53 man roster this year.

It was said multiple times last year by Ballard that he would need some time to tap into his raw ability.....listed below are his explosive traits:

4.46 40 yard dash at 6'2" and 210

42.5" Verticle - would have been #1 at combine

134" Broad jump - would have been #1 at combine

It's been mentioned multiple times by Reich and Sirianni how much Fountains routes have been improved and he's playing with his explosive - aka playing with confidence and trusting his technique.

Additionally, it has been covered that each skill position requires certain size, speed, length traits to be draftable - which makes sense based off of who he's drafted/signed/traded for versus who he has signed as UDFA's.

Pre-Ballard:

Hilton 4.34 at 5'10" & 183 

Rogers 4.46 at 6'0" & 184

Ballards Prototype:

Campbell 4.31 at 6'0" & 205 (drafted)

Funchess 4.50 at 6'4" & 224 (free agency)

Cain 4.43 at 6'2" & 202 (drafted)

Fountain 4.46 at 6'2" & 210 (drafted)

Johnson 4.39 at 6'1" & 204 (traded for)

Dulin 4.43 at 6'1" & 215 (udfa - but draftable)

UDFA's:

Ishmael, good size, slow 4.5+ 40

Pascal, good size, slow 4.5+ 40

Hogan, good size, slow 4.5+ 40

Hart, too small and slow 4.5+ 40

Veasy, good size, slow 4.5+ 40

I like Ishmael and Pascal but I think we'll start to see the cream rise to the top this year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It was said multiple times last year by Ballard that he would need some time to tap into his raw ability.....listed below are his explosive traits:

It's been mentioned multiple times by Reich and Sirianni how much Fountains routes have been improved and he's playing with his explosive - aka playing with confidence and trusting his technique.

Additionally, it has been covered that each skill position requires certain size, speed, length traits to be draftable - which makes sense based off of who he's drafted/signed/traded for versus who he has signed as UDFA's.

Pre-Ballard:

Ballards Prototype:

UDFA's:

I like Ishmael and Pascal but I think we'll start to see the cream rise to the top this year!

Regarding Fountain, I agree he'll stick. Read a couple reports about his off season commitment with trainers to improve his routes. He was a one hit/year wonder at N Iowa, and ended up the Offensive MVP at the E-W Shriner Game. Still a head scratcher why he didn't get invited to the combine. He's just got so much athleticism, it's hard to see him not sticking if he 1) has improved his route running, and 2) catches the ball.

On Dulin, I can see him being last year's Fountain (PS guy focusing on refinement and the step up in competition). Dulin was an D1 type talent at Malone. A little surprised he didn't transfer to a bigger school after his Soph or Junior seasons. He had 3 years of great production, but unfortunately did it against very bad competition. Not sure if it will translate, but he's got the athleticism and raw tools. I love the thought of Dulin and Campbell returning balls.

While I'm a fan of both Dulin and Fountain, both will need to prove they can make the step up in competition, combat the improved physicality, and beat the press / get off the line.

I'd be careful trying to define a prototype for a "Ballard WR"... Keep in mind the majority of the guys you list were attempts to solve for a huge whole at "X". TY is an almost perfect Z. Campbell a great prototypical slot. Funch a prototypical big or bully slot or possession X. Takes all shapes and sizes depending on down, distance, and field position. 

One last note. 4.5 is little generous for Funch. He ran 4.7ish at the combine, and pulled better times at Michigan's pro day. We all no Pro Days are very generous and subject to home cooking. Realistically I'd put him in the 4.55-4.65 range.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

it just makes sense to choose fountain over rodgers at this point. potential over marginal talent 

Not if fountain can’t return kicks or play special teams. Now that could change If camlbell can return kicks. Somewhere Rogers or Pascall is almost guaranteed to make it because of kick offs and punt returns.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is going to be almost impossible for him to make it. There is really only one spot maybe two left at WR. Unless Cain starts out on PUP. Reich did say he likes him but he must be able to play ST. I think Rogers takes that 5th spot and I doubt we will carry 6.

My bet....

53 man roster

TY - Z

Rogers - Slot, return, and Z back-up

Campbell - Return and Slot (by most reports he's lining up all over the place)

Funch - Possession X or Big slot

Cain - Prototype X (or PUP with Pascal taking the X spot)

Fountain - Prototype X

Practice Squad / Futures

Dulin 

20 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

it just makes sense to choose fountain over rodgers at this point. potential over marginal talent 

As I've said before, Rogers 1) took a big step forward last year at slot, 2) was TY's only back up, and 3) was very reliable in returns. 

While I think Campbell will take over slot eventually, I doubt they will get rid of a guy (Rogers) who did so much last year, and was the only one that could sub for TY. I doubt they'd ask Campbell to do that year one. Now next year, I can absolutely see Rogers not making the cut. But that's after we have confidence in a rookie slot, a new return guy, and a capable Z sub or understudy. 

And, I think this is a year you keep 6 WRs on the 53 man roster. With Cain coming back, TY's injury history last year, a rookie drafted early, and a first year guy (Funch) learning the O. 

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is going to be almost impossible for him to make it. There is really only one spot maybe two left at WR. Unless Cain starts out on PUP. Reich did say he likes him but he must be able to play ST. I think Rogers takes that 5th spot and I doubt we will carry 6.

He'll make it if reports are even half accurate. One of the following ... Cain starts on PUP , Rogers is traded or they keep 6. 

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not if fountain can’t return kicks or play special teams. Now that could change If camlbell can return kicks. Somewhere Rogers or Pascall is almost guaranteed to make it because of kick offs and punt returns.

chesters not even a difference maker on returns... if fountain let alone anyone can catch a punt or kickoff they can fill the role 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Regarding Fountain, I agree he'll stick. Read a couple reports about his off season commitment with trainers to improve his routes. He was a one hit/year wonder at N Iowa, and ended up the Offensive MVP at the E-W Shriner Game. Still a head scratcher why he didn't get invited to the combine. He's just got so much athleticism, it's hard to see him not sticking if he 1) has improved his route running, and 2) catches the ball.

On Dulin, I can see him being last year's Fountain (PS guy focusing on refinement and the step up in competition). Dulin was an D1 type talent at Malone. A little surprised he didn't transfer to a bigger school after his Soph or Junior seasons. He had 3 years of great production, but unfortunately did it against very bad competition. Not sure if it will translate, but he's got the athleticism and raw tools. I love the thought of Dulin and Campbell returning balls.

While I'm a fan of both Dulin and Fountain, both will need to prove they can make the step up in competition, combat the improved physicality, and beat the press / get off the line.

I'd be careful trying to define a prototype for a "Ballard WR"... Keep in mind the majority of the guys you list were attempts to solve for a huge whole at "X". TY is an almost perfect Z. Campbell a great prototypical slot. Funch a prototypical big or bully slot or possession X. Takes all shapes and sizes depending on down, distance, and field position. 

One last note. 4.5 is little generous for Funch. He ran 4.7ish at the combine, and pulled better times at Michigan's pro day. We all no Pro Days are very generous and subject to home cooking. Realistically I'd put him in the 4.55-4.65 range.

I agree on Fountain and Dulin!

Hilton's replacement is not on the roster, spot starter COULD be Rogers, but I just don't see him sticking unless they keep 6 receivers.

Funchess is tough.... 4.70, 4.46, 4.50, 4.53....his timed speeds are all over the place.

He looks 4.5ish to me on film.

1 hour ago, MFT5 said:

I agree, at some point you have to gamble a bit with your potential vs the now and Fountain vs Rogers May play out this preseason. If Fountain is truly able to show on film against other teams what is being reported in no pads play, Fountain will trump Rogers UNLESS Rogers also shows some significant increase in his previous abilities. It’s not like Rogers is garbage, it’s just Fountain has the measurements that Ballard likes, CB drafted Fountain and he has more team control than does Rogers. Heck, it’s not a given either make it, there are tons of wr talent fighting for this last spot. 

49 minutes ago, dw49 said:

He'll make it if reports are even half accurate. One of the following ... Cain starts on PUP , Rogers is traded or they keep 6. 

I think it’s a very good chance that this team makes a trade with a solid talent. I’d rather get a 5th or 6th round in trade as opposed to a cut and hope we can recover to the PS. I think us keeping 6 wr’s is dependent on do we keep 4 TE’s and do we keep 6 CB’s. 

One thing that can be said this year (on paper) is we can say we have some solid talent fighting for positions. 

You just never know what's going to happen with injuries before the final cuts to open up room in places where there was no room. Hopefully Campbell can win the punt return job and maybe they let Fountain return kicks. I dont think he could be any worse than Pascal at it.

I'd like to see Fountain make the squad.

Hilton

Campbell

Funchess

Cain

Fountain

We plan on running the ball more consistently this year so we need those big bodies to block at WR.

Or maybe we can go with the idea of putting Cain on PUP for the first half of the season.  In that case:

Hilton

Campbell 

Funchess 

Rogers

Fountain

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree on Fountain and Dulin!

Hilton's replacement is not on the roster, spot starter COULD be Rogers, but I just don't see him sticking unless they keep 6 receivers.

Funchess is tough.... 4.70, 4.46, 4.50, 4.53....his timed speeds are all over the place.

He looks 4.5ish to me on film.

Too early to think of TY's replacement IMO. You have to have a back up though, and Rogers is the only guy with any experience doing it. 

The only guy I could see taking over the Z (full time) is Campbell down the line. I don't want to think about not having TY lol at this point. TY could easily extend his career by moving to slot once he loses a step. He could swap with Campbell in 2-4 years and we'd still have a great tandem. 

Funch is a long strider. He's got better build up speed than burst off the line. With his size though, doesn't matter as he's a mismatch. As long as he's 4.55-4.6ish he'll be more than fine as a big-slot/possession-X/TE-lite. I think his sweet spot will be challenging LBs and strong Ss over the middle. With his size and PC's speed, we should scare the hell out of LB units this year.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

You just never know what's going to happen with injuries before the final cuts to open up room in places where there was no room. Hopefully Campbell can win the punt return job and maybe they let Fountain return kicks. I dont think he could be any worse than Pascal at it.

I'd like to see Fountain make the squad.

Hilton

Campbell

Funchess

Cain

Fountain

We plan on running the ball more consistently this year so we need those big bodies to block at WR.

Or maybe we can go with the idea of putting Cain on PUP for the first half of the season.  In that case:

Hilton

Campbell 

Funchess 

Rogers

Fountain

Cain on the pup come back completely healthy i like it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MFT5 said:

chesters not even a difference maker on returns... if fountain let alone anyone can catch a punt or kickoff they can fill the role 

Rogers was a top 10 PR last season, as well as our #2 WR.  He’s a pretty good blocker (not as good as Pascal).  He was also given a second round tender.  

He may may well get beat out, but it’s not like he’s JAG.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MFT5 said:

Cain on the pup come back completely healthy i like it

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they started Cain on Pup it could be a way to see what fountain has. Every indication though is he will be ready.  I heard today Reich is only expected to keep 4 or 5.  We will have to see what the injury situation ends up being.

4. Now that is special.

11 hours ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

I'm guessing the Colts will carry 6 WR's on the roster after they make their final cuts. Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Pascal, Fountain is my guess.

If we keep a 6th wr, I’d suspect it’s going to be either Rogers or Marcus Johnson well before the chance of Pascal gets it (all based on last year and future potential). Anything can happen and every player has the potential to ball out or get injured, but based on last year, Pascal had one or two really descent games that opened a few eyes but we know that the team likes Rogers since they gave him a 2nd round tender. I just won’t be shocked to see the team have the chance to trade a really talented guy to a wr needy team near the end of camp. It’s just going to be a tough bunch of decisions for this team at the end of camp for a few guys that several of us like and hope to keep in some way. Let’s just hope we keep the right guys and if we have to part ways, hope we can get someone to give a draft pick up for them. 

I like it. Honestly, I don't see why we would assume Cain makes it over Fountain. Fountain was actually picked before Cain...and neither has been able to prove it in NFL games. So Fountain could tear it up in TC and preseason...and make it over Cain. We just don't really know.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

But Funchess as a 4.5 guy...haha.

I actually think Funchess fits the TE mold they like...moreso than the WR type. 

It’s going to be fun to see both him and Ebron on the field at the same time in the red zone. Can’t cover both. Then you have speed with TY and Campbell. Good luck to the defense. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I like it. Honestly, I don't see why we would assume Cain makes it over Fountain. Fountain was actually picked before Cain...and neither has been able to prove it in NFL games. So Fountain could tear it up in TC and preseason...and make it over Cain. We just don't really know.

They aren’t going to cut Cain because of his injury. They will let him get back to playing 100% before any decisions they make on him.  Now whether he starts the season Pup is a different story. They are way to high on Cain.

I see 6 WRs taken with all of the unknowns. TY aging slightly and getting banged up more than in the past.  Cain’s recovery an unknown. Funchess new and learning. Campbell a rookie. Because of all this, Rogers makes the team whether Cain goes on PUP or not. He’s a very reliable punt returner and special teamer.  If Cain makes the 53 man roster, I see the fight between Pascal and Fountain, with Pascal having the edge at this point. If Cain is on PUP, they both make it. 

9 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I see 6 WRs taken with all of the unknowns. TY aging slightly and getting banged up more than in the past.  Cain’s recovery an unknown. Funchess new and learning. Campbell a rookie. Because of all this, Rogers makes the team whether Cain goes on PUP or not. He’s a very reliable punt returner and special teamer.  If Cain makes the 53 man roster, I see the fight between Pascal and Fountain, with Pascal having the edge at this point. If Cain is on PUP, they both make it. 

I think you might be right with TY getting older. Next year though the receiver class is supposed to be very good. 

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This attitude is pervasive around here, and I disagree.  Cain’s resume consists of about ten good days of TC and an ACL tear.  Coming off such a major injury and not having much time for development last year/this off-season, Cain is way behind Fountain and Rogers.  Those two have to be considered much more likely to make the roster than Cain...particularly with the great off-seasons they’ve had.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

This attitude is pervasive around here, and I disagree.  Cain’s resume consists of about ten good days of TC and an ACL tear.  Coming off such a major injury and not having much time for development last year/this off-season, Cain is way behind Fountain and Rogers.  Those two have to be considered much more likely to make the roster than Cain...particularly with the great off-seasons they’ve had.

Cain was impressive through ota's, mini camp and training camp.....he blew out his knee in the first preseason game after having caught 2-3 passes already.

That's QUITE a bit more than 10 days.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s going to be fun to see both him and Ebron on the field at the same time in the red zone. Can’t cover both. Then you have speed with TY and Campbell. Good luck to the defense. 

Can you imagine, Mack, Ebron, Doyle, Funchess, TY on the field at the same time? Who gets left uncovered? Heck, take out Doyle and insert Campbell and wow!! It’s gonna be a great offensive campaign this season. 

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

They aren’t going to cut Cain because of his injury. They will let him get back to playing 100% before any decisions they make on him.  Now whether he starts the season Pup is a different story. They are way to high on Cain.

I don’t see 1% of a chance that Cain doesn’t make this roster unless he just loafs it in every chance he sees this preseason. Cain only dropped so far because of “issue” but by all accounts, hasn’t had one hiccup so far. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maniac said:

Who will take over as PR if Chester isn't making the roster?

Everybody is forgetting about Hines.  Granted he started out bad last year but admitted he was nervous.  Let’s see if he has improved.

5 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

Everybody is forgetting about Hines.  Granted he started out bad last year but admitted he was nervous.  Let’s see if he has improved.

Rogers and  Campbell have both been doing returns in OTA. Haven’t heard if Hines is. I know he said he wanted to try again. He had a bad preseason then had a great season so he could get the hang of it. The kid is a fast learner.

Reich did say he doesn’t like putting PR pressure on a rookie.

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Rogers yes, Fountain, not really. I'm a big Fountain fan, but he played at N Iowa, and was a very raw one year wonder. Outside of health, how is Fountain way ahead of Cain?

Cain played at a top 5 D1 against major competition and had 500+ yards/year (for 3 straight years) beginning his FR year, skipping his SR year for the draft. Cain has it big over Fountain in terms of 1) polish, 2) competition played against, 3) college coaching received, and 4) overall production.

In terms of Pro production, neither have done anything. Cain by all reports had locked up starting X easily, while Fountain struggled running routes and didn't make the team even with Cain's injury (was cut and later resigned to the PS after clearing waivers IIRC). When he did get called up, he dropped a TD in mop up duty.

To me, it's going to be all about what position they see Fountain playing. IIRC he's been in a grey area. Has the size to play X, but was also running slot reps and was listed in the Z/Slot grouping on the depth chart when he was activated. If they see him as a long term X, he's competing with Cain and Pascal. If Z/Slot, competing with Campbell and Rogers. 

Personally, If Fountain has taken a good step forward in terms of polish, I'd rather he play in the X space, with Pascal not making the cut. Pascal probably has the lowest ceiling out of front group.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:21 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Pre-Ballard:

Ballards Prototype:

UDFA's:

42.5 in vert jump that's similar to moncrief.

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

42.5 in vert jump that's similar to moncrief.

I still think it all came down to want for Moncreif. I was a huge advocate for him and even though his social media said it I dont think he was motivated enough

I think Fountain has a good chance to make it if Cain isn't quite ready. If they opt to use the PUP and allow Cain a couple more months of rehab then Fountain should make it if he's improved as much as indicated. Will be harder to make it if Cain is ready. Unless we carry 6 WR which currently sounds unlikely. Would love to see us carry 6 though.

Hilton

Campbell 

Funchess 

Cain

Fountain

Rogers