Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who else had a Good Draft?

I think the Titans had a good draft too - Jeffrey Simmons, A J Brown, Amani Hooker, Nate Davis, D'Andre Walker. 

But then you never know, because an elite QB and OL can always give a team a chance in this offense driven league. Talent on paper only goes so far. 

• Like 2

I think Tennessee had the best draft in our division. All their players were guys they drafted at value spots, and they all address positional needs. 

Getting Jeffery Simmons, AJ Brown, Nate Davis, Amani Hooker, and D'Andre Walker worries me a bit for the Colts sake. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think Tennessee had the best draft in our division. All their players were guys they drafted at value spots, and they all address positional needs. 

Getting Jeffery Simmons, AJ Brown, Nate Davis, Amani Hooker, and D'Andre Walker worries me a bit for the Colts sake. 

Tennessee is going to be a long term competitor to the Colts......... (If they upgrade at QB)

They need to make a hard choice.... Mariotta is a good guy, but not a franchise QB...... 

When they finally realize this, then they can truly step to the next level

• Like 3

The Jags will be better on offense AND defense this year.......

The kid from KY they drafted is legit.......

It will be a slugfest with them

I do think that Cambell may be that X factor to help us win this game

HOPEFULLY, we have home field established before the Jags game in late DEC

14 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I think the Browns did some good things. The Raiders and Giants IMO also did pretty well this weekend 

I really don't like what the Raiders did at the top of their draft.  Many people say Ferrell was a reach with the 4th overall pick, and they took a RB with a first round pick, which I always say is a bad idea.  With that said, we as Colt fans know all about a GM taking a player many consider to be a reach and we know how that turns out.  I think they could have added better talent at the top of their draft.

As for the Giants, the Jones selection is what this draft was all about.  I don't like the pick, and using a high first rounder on a QB that doesn't pan out could set your franchise back a few years.

Of course, we have to wait a few years to get a real idea of how these picks turn out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

As for the Giants, the Jones selection is what this draft was all about.  I don't like the pick, and using a high first rounder on a QB that doesn't pan out could set your franchise back a few years.

Jones PROBABLY could have been had at least 10 picks later.......  If I am the Giants fans, I am angry this morning

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I really don't like what the Raiders did at the top of their draft.  Many people say Ferrell was a reach with the 4th overall pick, and they took a RB with a first round pick, which I always say is a bad idea.  With that said, we as Colt fans know all about a GM taking a player many consider to be a reach and we know how that turns out.  I think they could have added better talent at the top of their draft.

Of course, we have to wait a few years to get a real idea of how these picks turn out

I think the Raiders did well with the later picks.

Baltimore is another that did well.

Jones has the skills and comes from good coaching. I think thats why’s NY took him. The Cutcliff connection 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

both of last years super bowl teams would disagree.  lots of teams have done it recently 

I think it's better to invest in a strong OL than a first round RB.  If you look at the top yards per carry RBs last year with at least 100 carries, the top 10 only includes 3 1st round picks and includes just as many undrafted players.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Tennessee is going to be a long term competitor to the Colts......... (If they upgrade at QB)

They need to make a hard choice.... Mariotta is a good guy, but not a franchise QB...... 

Plenty of teams have won it all without an elite QB.  And plenty of elite QBs have never won a Super Bowl.

The Titans had a good, albeit top-heavy draft class in terms of quality/potential.

The Texans want a Mulligan.

The Jags had swag and I thought their best pick was Jawaan Taylor at the top of the 2nd to keep Foles upright after what they invested in him. 

No comment on the rest of the league.  I'm dialed in to our division right now.  There's a lot of new blood from this 2019 draft class that will make the division intensely competitive in the years to come.  The South will rise again!

4 hours ago, Roger said:

Plenty of teams have won it all without an elite QB.  And plenty of elite QBs have never won a Super Bowl.

Thats is true, but it makes your odds substancially better

THIS Tennessee team...... isnt close to a SB, IMHO

I hadnt looked in awhile But since 2000...in 16 of 18 of the SB winners had an elite QB

Most are, or will be in HOF

2 Mannings

Warner

Ben R.

Brady

Wilson (Probable HOF)

These guys are elite...... doesnt guarantee a SB win (Marino)

But it surely helps.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hadnt looked in awhile But since 2000...in 16 of 18 of the SB winners had an elite QB

2 Mannings

Warner

Ben R.

Brady

Wilson (Probable HOF)

But it surely helps.....

It's 19 Super Bowls over that period.  Peyton was only elite for 1, and was not the reason Denver won. Eli is questionable.  Warner is not head and shoulders above Mariota.  Try listing some of the b-list QBs who have won. You'll see plenty in Mariota's pedigree.

49 minutes ago, Roger said:

It's 19 Super Bowls over that period.  Peyton was only elite for 1, and was not the reason Denver won. Eli is questionable.  Warner is not head and shoulders above Mariota.  Try listing some of the b-list QBs who have won. You'll see plenty in Mariota's pedigree.

Eli Manning- 2 super bowl MVPs and 4 pro bowls.

Kurt Warner- 2 league MVPs, 4 pro bowls and a super bowl MVP

Mariota-zero anything

I thought the Patriots had a good draft. They got a big target for TB to throw to, another talented CB, Winovich seems like the perfect defensive end for them, and another RB and offensive linemen to help their run game even more. (which is important when your QB is 40+)

The Saints didn't have many draft picks but I thought they did well to come out of the draft with what should be a good starting center and one of the better safety prospects in CGJ.

I thought the Falcons did well in round 1 to really improve their offensive line.

12 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

2 Mannings

Warner

Ben R.

Brady

Wilson (Probable HOF)

But it surely helps.....

You can certainly say that again.

In the last 48 years, almost a half century, we've only won 1 Super Bowl. And in that time period our QB's have included the Great Bert Jones, the G.O.A.T Peyton Manning, and so far 7 seasons of Andrew Luck.

Obviously winning SB's is not easy when you don't cheat regardless of having elite QB's. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roger said:

Sorry I missed the total of SBs by one.  Sometimes my math is off.

We will have to agree to disagree about the comparison of Mariota to Warner.

I view Warner as significantly better than Mariota. 

(Yellow Jacket guy, vs. an always injured guy)

Either way, I THINK that you would say that a franchise QB at least improve a teams chances to win a SB  (My point)

Take care

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Running backs are fine in the first round if your a SB team or close. The giants taking Barkley was dumb. But the patriots taking Michele was fine.

I am really scared at what the jags did. Especially since they have foles. He is the kind of qb that won’t lose you games. But the colts got a ton better so we will see.

I don't think having Barkley on your team is dumb, but, Taking  a QB first this year if you are not sure that he will be your franchise QB is, with all of the other needs you have to address might be. As long as Eli is their QB, they need to build the team around him, if they fall flat on their face this year, then they will have a high draft choice that they can choose the franchise QB they want to build around, and have less spots to fill to help him succeed. 

On 4/28/2019 at 12:17 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I think it's better to invest in a strong OL than a first round RB.  If you look at the top yards per carry RBs last year with at least 100 carries, the top 10 only includes 3 1st round picks and includes just as many undrafted players.

i dont think ypc is the best number to go by.  ive had this conversation before and apparently a lot of people disagree.  i think total yards say more about a running back.  lots of guys hit 4 ypc, but not many get 1100+

the best backs are also good receivers these days 

16 hours ago, Roger said:

Seriously?   

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think ypc is the best number to go by.  ive had this conversation before and apparently a lot of people disagree.  i think total yards say more about a running back.  lots of guys hit 4 ypc, but not many get 1100+

the best backs are also good receivers these days 

I disagree with you on this.  I think total rush yards won't give you the best predictor of a RB's performance.  You want a RB to get 4-5 yards per carry to keep defenses honest, make your play-action potent, etc.  Trent Richardson had 950 yards as a rookie, but less than 4 yards per carry.  Simply giving a guy enough carries will eventually get him to 1000+ or 1100+ yards.  But the guys who get 4-5 yards per carry each time are the ones who really make your offense that much more dangerous.

54 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I disagree with you on this.  I think total rush yards won't give you the best predictor of a RB's performance.  You want a RB to get 4-5 yards per carry to keep defenses honest, make your play-action potent, etc.  Trent Richardson had 950 yards as a rookie, but less than 4 yards per carry.  Simply giving a guy enough carries will eventually get him to 1000+ or 1100+ yards.  But the guys who get 4-5 yards per carry each time are the ones who really make your offense that much more dangerous.

i dont think an average back  can hold up long enough and be consistent enough to get 1000+ and do it year after year

guys like wilkins have similar ypc to some of the best backs to ever play, i think its a pretty misleading stat

On 4/28/2019 at 4:47 PM, MikeCurtis said:

My worry is Mariota gets injured and they have to play Tennehill. I am more worried about him than Mariota. 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2019 at 4:54 AM, Roger said:

Warner isn't much better than Mariota?? LOL wut?

• Like 1