Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final guesses

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The draft is less then two weeks away. What are your final guesses?

If we trade up, ill go with Brian Burns

If we stay at 26, ill go with Darnell Savage

Trade up, Brian Burns.

Pick at 26, Jerry Tillery

Darnell Savage at 26 would make me mad.

• Like 4

I am starting to believe that Marquise Brown is the WR the Colts will target, either at 26 or 34.  With Funchess and Ebron, we've got ample possession/red zone presence.  Having another guy like T.Y. can instantly remove the dreaded doubles.  What can Brown do for you?  Draw coverage and blow the top off on any snap.  Problem solved.

I think Ballard is so disciplined that the board and draft flow will dictate every pick, making it very difficult to predict what number we will land a guy at.  If there are a lot of safeties available at 34, might as well go BPA (passing over Abram) and see what's happening at 59 (Rapp, Savage, Hooker).  I can't wait to see it unfold.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Why? Savage imo is a first round talent. Im not sure he'll get to 34

I would be fine with Savage at 34. The safeties are pretty lumped together in the late 1st/early 2nd (in the same tier). It would be a huge waste of value to take him there IMO. I'd rather grab a solid O-Line/D-Line guy that will definitely be gone by 34. If by chance Savage is gone, you can grab a Safety in the same tier that's still there. JMO anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would be fine with Savage at 34. The safeties are pretty lumped together in the late 1st/early 2nd (in the same tier). It would be a huge waste of value to take him there IMO. I'd rather grab a solid O-Line/D-Line guy that will definitely be gone by 34. If by chance Savage is gone, you can grab a Safety in the same tier that's still there. JMO anyway.

Im not a fan of Tillery. I question his motor and he doesnt get a lot of sacks

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Contrary to that, I think he has a great motor and that’s one of the best parts of his game. Check out my Scouting Report on him if you want, might change your mind a bit. 

12 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Contrary to that, I think he has a great motor and that’s one of the best parts of his game. Check out my Scouting Report on him if you want, might change your mind a bit. 

Ive seen a few of his tapes and he scares me because you get a mixed bag. You get what at times looks like a top 5 talent and then I see a play he takes off

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Doesn't have to be Tillery specifically, but there are a lot of O-Line/D-Lineman that are better options than Savage at 26.

Imo, our options at 26 will be Tillery, Lawrence, or Simmons. I think talent wise, Savage is better

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He had 8 sacks last year which is more than any of the other first round DT's other than Williams who also had 8. He was also rated extremely high by PFF in regards to pass rushing. I don't know about the motor though as I don't ever watch ND because I hate them lol.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

The draft is less then two weeks away. What are your final guesses?

If we trade up, ill go with Brian Burns

If we stay at 26, ill go with Darnell Savage

Darnell Savage at 26 would be a huge reach.

I agree with you on the trade up possibility for Burns though.

If we stay put at 26, I’m picking Simmons at DT for Indy. 

59 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He had 8 sacks last year which is more than any of the other first round DT's other than Williams who also had 8. He was also rated extremely high by PFF in regards to pass rushing. I don't know about the motor though as I don't ever watch ND because I hate them lol.

My bad. I was thinking of someone else

24 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Darnell Savage at 26 would be a huge reach.

I agree with you on the trade up possibility for Burns though.

If we stay put at 26, I’m picking Simmons at DT for Indy. 

People thought Leonard was a reach. Ballard will take any player he wants regardless if the consensus thinks its a reach

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it’s Abram. Colts seem to have shown him the most interest and he is the best fit in terms of what Ballard wants. 

Remember...    we hadn’t shown Nelson much love at all when we picked him last year.

And we hadn’t shown Hooker much (any?) love the year before when we took him.

We might indeed pick Abrams.   I only caution reading too much into what leaks out about visits.    

• Like 3

I really believe the Colts want that game changing DT that this defence needs.  This might b the only year that one might b available based on the depth at that position in the draft.  They have an extra 2nd round pick .  I wouldn't b surprised if they make a move.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

Imo, our options at 26 will be Tillery, Lawrence, or Simmons. I think talent wise, Savage is better

Ultimately, you may end up being right, but

Savage should probably still be on the board at 34.

Almost ALL NFL "Experts" have Tillary, Lawrence, and Simmons well above Savage

Savage is listed by NFL.com (My go to) as the 46th best prospect

Simmons is top 5

Lawrence is 21

Tillary is 30

I would like us to pick ONE of the three DL mentioned, and then go S with 34.

There will be some EXCELLENT SS's or a WR at 34 and at 59

I can imagine a draft of

26 - Simmons

34 - Lawrence

59 - Thornhill 

We would be a top 5 defense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm still not ready for my final guesses. That's why I still haven't posted my predictions in @Dr. T 's contest. But... what I think is that... Ballard likes the secondary and the OLine in addition to the DLine in this draft(those are direct quotes from Ballard). So my preliminary guess would be that we spend

- at least 1 pick on OLine ...

- and at least 2 picks on the secondary(I would even guess relatively early - he said that he likes the 2nd-3d round depth in the secondary in this draft). Picking both a CB and a S in day 2 IMO is very possible. 

-I love the WR group in the first 3 rounds of the draft, especially where we are picking... BUT... I cannot help but notice that there is very little noise about the Colts paying any attention to the WRs in this draft. Maybe they are doing a stealth job of hiding it and will surprise us, but I'm actually not so sure we pick a WR high(even though I personally would if I were picking)... 

I will formalize those in some way in Dr.T's game after I hear his and Reich's pre-draft press-conference. Anyone knows when that will be? It usually is the week before the draft but who knows? 

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

26 - Simmons

34 - Lawrence

59 - Thornhill 

We would be a top 5 defense

I would literally run down the street screaming for joy if we could snag Simmons and Lawrence. Or Lawrence and Tillery. I just don't see Lawrence getting past NE. Looks like he could be the second coming of Wilfork. I'm not 100% sold. I've read that they haven't seen much improvement from junior I senior year. So hope that's not a case of peaked out. Where on the other hand Tillery has seen constant improvement. Love Tillery size as well. He can still add some weight to that 6'6 frame

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I think if we get Simmons, he becomes the difference maker our Dline needs to become dominant.  He’s a   top 10 talent falling to us.  That’s what you have to do when picking at the end of the round

I think Simmons becomes a difference maker, but not until the 2020 season. Realistically, while you might get him on the field for a few games in 2019, it's going to take a year or so to come back from that ACL tear. If you take him, I think you have to look at it as trading your 2019 first round pick for a Top Five pick in 2020. Will he fall as far as #26? Will Ballard take him if he's there? Guess we'll all have to wait another eleven days to find out!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I think Simmons becomes a difference maker, but not until the 2020 season. Realistically, while you might get him on the field for a few games in 2019, it's going to take a year or so to come back from that ACL tear. If you take him, I think you have to look at it as trading your 2019 first round pick for a Top Five pick in 2020. Will he fall as far as #26? Will Ballard take him if he's there? Guess we'll all have to wait another eleven days to find out!

I personally think Ballard would take him.

The question becomes will Irsay let Ballard draft him?   Typically the owner wants input to a controversial player, because the owner and GM have to sell the decision to a fan base.   Some fans will not be happy no matter what we say.    But I think we can sell Simmons.   He’s got a very compelling story, that I think most fans will accept.

We brought Simmons in for a visit.  I hope that’s a very good sign.   Keeping my fingers crossed.......

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I personally think Ballard would take him.

The question becomes will Irsay let Ballard draft him?   Typically the owner wants input to a controversial player, because the owner and GM have to sell the decision to a fan base.   Some fans will not be happy no matter what we say.    But I think we can sell Simmons.   He’s got a very compelling story, that I think most fans will accept.

We brought Simmons in for a visit.  I hope that’s a very good sign.   Keeping my fingers crossed.......

The thing with Ballard is... so far he has not taken a chance in the draft on either an injured player(that will likely miss the full season) or on a player with red flags high. And Simmons has both. The sample is small and it very well might just be random happenstance so far. I personally would love to have Simmons if Ballard clears him for his off-field thing... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Simmons would be nice, but is he worth risking a first round pick for a guy who might not play until the playoffs if we even get that far?

The Simmons decision isn’t a 1-year decision.    It’s a 10-year decision.

It won’t be often that we get a chance to draft a top-10 pick when we’re picking in the mid-20’s or lower.

I wouldn’t expect Simmons to play for anyone until 2020.   And I’d be fine with that.. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Simmons decision isn’t a 1-year decision.    It’s a 10-year decision.

It won’t be often that we get a chance to draft a top-10 pick when we’re picking in the mid-20’s or lower.

I wouldn’t expect Simmons to play for anyone until 2020.   And I’d be fine with that.. 

I was reading up on him and nfl comparison was Suh. Now that's very intriguing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

The thing with Ballard is... so far he has not taken a chance in the draft on either an injured player(that will likely miss the full season) or on a player with red flags high. And Simmons has both. The sample is small and it very well might just be random happenstance so far. I personally would love to have Simmons if Ballard clears him for his off-field thing... 

I agree, Ballard has brought in clean players with his early picks.  Let's b honest though, the Colts won't get an opportunity to pick  a DT with Simmons talent at 26 in this or future drafts.  He mayb available at 26 mostly because of his ACL tear. This D needs a game changing DT.  Can u think of anyone else who may equal Simmons talent at 26? Sure, u can get lucky, but great DT's and edge rushers r picked early in the 1st round.  I think we go D line with 2 of our 1st 3 picks and then safety with the other pick. Just a hunch

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree, Ballard has brought in clean players with his early picks.  Let's b honest though, the Colts won't get an opportunity to pick  a DT with Simmons talent at 26 in this or future drafts.  He mayb available at 26 mostly because of his ACL tear. This D needs a game changing DT.  Can u think of anyone else who may equal Simmons talent at 26? Sure, u can get lucky, but great DT's and edge rushers r picked early in the 1st round.  I think we go D line with 2 of our 1st 3 picks and then safety with the other pick. Just a hunch

I mean, we say that every draft and every draft there is a guy with some sort of issue- be it injury or off-the field or drugs or something that drops to the 2nd round. It's not always a DT, but players with immense talent fall in the draft almost every year. IMO Tillery is close to Simmons talent-wise, but I'm not sure he will be there at 26.