Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final guesses

I'd take Simmons at 26.  If healthy, he's top 10.  He may be, we would just have to wait to find out.  If not him, then I think Lawrence or Wilkins would make me pretty happy.  I STILL believe you build via the lines first, and I think Ballard does too.  He took the OL in the first round last year.  I think this year he goes the other side.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I personally think Ballard would take him.

The question becomes will Irsay let Ballard draft him?

Know this. When a team is going to spend millions of dollars on a draft pick, they will also expend all efforts to vet that potential decision.  This goes double for for Character issues, and medical too.  He has both. That means scouts have talked to all family members, everyone at the school, (janitors and lunch ladies as well as coaches and security) Law Enforcement, Doctors, Physical Therapists. etc.

We brought Simmons in for a visit.  I hope that’s a very good sign.   Keeping my fingers crossed.......

Brian Decker evaluation?

On 4/15/2019 at 12:51 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think Irsay would get involved one way or another.

I feel pretty confident that Irsay is paying Ballard to run the team and let's him do his job with no interference.

The second part is certainly true.

Jim don't step in till there is an obvious problem.

Yes, but to Irsay and the Horseshoe, Red Flag players are always an obvious problem.  I've heard Bill Polian say as much.  Bill never tried to 'slide one by' Irsay on such matters.  Because he knows Irsay was a GM of the Colts, knows football, and knows what the team needs/is looking for.  Jim definitely stays out of the way for the most part, but his GM's do keep in constant contact about how they are building things along the way.  That's why Jim can be interviewed and mention things like this off the cuff-

"When free agency hit, we had the lines in the water on several other guys. We didn't get them," Irsay said, via Mike Chappell of FOX 59. "We could have got them. But Chris is very disciplined in his belief on how you build a team and it was great to see him stick to his discipline. Sometimes when we were bidding on someone -- an inside linebacker or whatever in free agency -- once the number exceeded a certain point, he's like 'No, we're going to walk away from this one.

I know he really, really wanted to bring (a certain) player in and when the number got to a certain thing, with the agent he's like, 'I'm out. That's just too much. I can't do it. I can't live with myself if I do it."

On 4/15/2019 at 1:00 AM, CR91 said:

You guys really think Irsay isn't involved with atleast the first pick? Im sure his influence is limited, but Ballard still needs to convince him that X player is worth this pick

I don't think he is, IF, there are no Red Flags (huge medical or character issues). He noted this before-

**Irsay noted that he told Ballard to spend as much as he felt was necessary to build a winner. The GM responded by setting hard baselines in negotiations.**

On 4/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, NewColtsFan said:

As for Simmons....   I guess it’s all about how you evaluate the kids character?  Not trying to be clever here...   but the kid has one bad incident in his life.   And it’s a really bad one.   But does one mistake equal a bad kid?   A problem child?    Doesn’t the fact that he’s been a model person for the last three years mean anything?   He was also said to be a good kid before the incident. 

Along with the investigation due diligence referred to above, Brian Decker would be involved in evaluation of potential 1st round draft pick failure risk.  Of any first round player choice. It is one of the main reasons he was put on the payroll.

If we’re not considering him, then why did we bring him in for a visit and dinner?   I would guess Irsay was at the dinner.   A get to know you evening. 

Certainly considering a top 5 /top 10 talent.  I'd like to point out sometimes teams take a player they never brought in (Quenton Nelson?) and other times might even bring in a guy they never intend to draft as a smokescreen.  The draft is poker, and everyone tries to shield their cards, and sometimes bluff.

Once again, I wonder how Eberflus would use him?  Would Houston's experience at OLB allow some interesting D alignment alterations at times? I see the guy initially (after healthy) as a shade technique NT, and mostly a 2 down largely run stuffing player, with potential bull rush pass attack capability in the future that needs to improve hands and not get tall and let others get into his body. Great talent, but is there a better 'fit' for a different player choice?  Pass rush is a flashing light, and I don't feel Simmons is the answer, even in 2020 I believe. 

I’m all in on the DTs in the 1st, in this order:  Tillery, Simmons, and Wilkins.  One of those three should be there.  In the 2nd, I think we could go a lot of ways.  I don’t really buy Safety or WR as a top need, but there are perfect fits there that would make me happy - Abram, Thornhill, Deebo, et al.  But I keep coming around to Chase Winovich at 34.  I keep hearing about the depth of this DL class, but I don’t like any pass-rushers after Winovich (until the late-round developmental guys, that is).

4 hours ago, Archer said:

I’m all in on the DTs in the 1st, in this order:  Tillery, Simmons, and Wilkins.  One of those three should be there.  In the 2nd, I think we could go a lot of ways.  I don’t really buy Safety or WR as a top need, but there are perfect fits there that would make me happy - Abram, Thornhill, Deebo, et al.  But I keep coming around to Chase Winovich at 34.  I keep hearing about the depth of this DL class, but I don’t like any pass-rushers after Winovich (until the late-round developmental guys, that is).

I agree with a D-linemen with the first pick.

My reasoning is the average age of our starters on the D-line. We are a young team till you look at the ages of the starters on our D-line.

Sheard is 29, Hunt is 31 and Autry is 28. Lewis is 24 so he is fine for a while.

Unless Burns is at 20-21

Stay put, or trade down

I am feeling more and more that Simmons should be pick numero uno. (If he is still there)

Tillary is my second choice

Having Lawrence with 34 would be an excellent choice

Can you imagine a DL with Simmons and Lawrence in the middle?

ALL of the runs would be to the outside. 

The Great Wall of CHINA INDY

Beef in the middle... speed on the sides

Savage would be my second choice

There should be plenty of very good WRs/SS/CBs still available at later 2nd and 3rd pick

Possible picks

Trayvon Mullens

Boyken

Isabella

Thornton

Hooker

I would go OL development with the 2 4th round picks 

• Like 2

Summons and Lawrence would be my ultimate scenario. Heck I wouldn't even mind Tillery & Lawrence depending on where his heart is. Simmons would be best case scenario cause we don't desperately need him this year. We have some UT's that could get it done beside Lawrence. Then next year....look out

After participating in two mock drafts on these boards, hearing tons of opinions on the players, and reviewing and re-reviewing prospects, I find myself back where I started, with the mock I posted a month ago.

1/26 - A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi

2/34 - Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

2/59 - Joe Jackson, DE, Miami

3/89 - David Edwards, T, Wisconsin

4/129 - Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

4/135 - Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

After participating in two mock drafts on these boards, hearing tons of opinions on the players, and reviewing and re-reviewing prospects, I find myself back where I started, with the mock I posted a month ago.

1/26 - A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi

2/34 - Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

2/59 - Joe Jackson, DE, Miami

3/89 - David Edwards, T, Wisconsin

4/129 - Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

4/135 - Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

I think there's a very good chance that neither Edwards or Hooker or Bunting will be available when we pick in those rounds.

I believe Hooker and Bunting will be Day 2 draft picks, and I suspect Edwards might go in the 3rd,  but before pick 89.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think there's a very good chance that neither Edwards or Hooker or Bunting will be available when we pick in those rounds.

I believe Hooker and Bunting will be Day 2 draft picks, and I suspect Edwards might go in the 3rd,  but before pick 89.

You could very well be right.  In our two mocks, David Edwards was the closest to my pick (92nd in the first mock, 78th in the second mock).  The other two were taken far earlier than my slots above.  Amani Hooker 70th in the first, 52nd in the second.  Sean Bunting 85th in the first, 94th in the second.

• Thanks 1

If we trade up I don't think it will be far up.  Maybe to the Steelers or Seahawks for Burns, Bush or possibly Jacobs.  If we trade up I think it will be for a player who can play this year.  We also have paid a lot of attention to Burns and Jacobs.  If we stay put Burns and Bush will definitely be gone.  So that leaves Jacobs who "I think" will be BPA on Ballards board along with Simmons.  Jacobs will probably be gone as well to the Eagles or Raiders who draft before us.  Then I think it's Simmons, Tillery or a safety.  Nothing but a hunch.  

On 4/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, NewEra said:

I would literally run down the street screaming for joy if we could snag Simmons and Lawrence. Or Lawrence and Tillery. I just don't see Lawrence getting past NE. Looks like he could be the second coming of Wilfork. I'm not 100% sold. I've read that they haven't seen much improvement from junior I senior year. So hope that's not a case of peaked out. Where on the other hand Tillery has seen constant improvement. Love Tillery size as well. He can still add some weight to that 6'6 frame

I really find this an interesting take. I think I prefer Lawrence to Tillery, and Simmons seems like a potential steal...

Does anyone see Lawrence as pick 26, and Simmons lasting to 34? Then a safety (Thornhill was proposed) at 59 seems like a really solid start to the draft. WR, CB, OL and Edge can be added in later rounds...

• Thanks 1

What about Ben Benaguo TCU Edge Rusher......probably didn't spell it right, but hopefully I got close lol..... fast and slippery with a good motor, the highlights I saw were impressive but he seemed a bit thin for an NFL end....maybe that's the knock

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, Crunked said:

What about Ben Benaguo TCU Edge Rusher......probably didn't spell it right, but hopefully I got close lol..... fast and slippery with a good motor, the highlights I saw were impressive but he seemed a bit thin for an NFL end....maybe that's the knock

So rare to be right....so I am pimpin' it lol.....enjoy the draft.......as you were.....etc...etc....