Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final guesses

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I mean, we say that every draft and every draft there is a guy with some sort of issue- be it injury or off-the field or drugs or something that drops to the 2nd round. It's not always a DT, but players with immense talent fall in the draft almost every year. IMO Tillery is close to Simmons talent-wise, but I'm not sure he will be there at 26.

U r right, Tillery may not b there because he is viewed as a top 20 pick if not higher.  Simmons maybe because of his off field issue (only one I believe) and his injury. The question is do u take Simmons a possible top 10 pick mayb higher  at 26? I say yes and they maybe even get him at 34. This D needs a young impactful DT.  U usually don't get those guys late in the 1st round or later unless u r lucky or that  player has some issue be it character or injury history.   

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U r right, Tillery may not b there because he is viewed as a top 20 pick if not higher.  Simmons maybe because of his off field issue (only one I believe) and his injury. The question is do u take Simmons a possible top 10 pick mayb higher  at 26? I say yes and they maybe even get him at 34. This D needs a young impactful DT.  U usually don't get those guys late in the 1st round or later unless u r lucky or that  player has some issue be it character or injury history.   

In general I'd rather draft him in the late 1st than in early 2nd... since he's most likely missing the 1st year - get the additional cost-controlled year for evaluation and  potentially high end production at a discount by years 4-5 of the rookie contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Simmons decision isn’t a 1-year decision.    It’s a 10-year decision.

It won’t be often that we get a chance to draft a top-10 pick when we’re picking in the mid-20’s or lower.

I wouldn’t expect Simmons to play for anyone until 2020.   And I’d be fine with that.. 

Thats what you'd be hoping happens, but ACL injuries are very hard for linemen. Thats a lot more weight they push off their knees 

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Thats what you'd be hoping happens, but ACL injuries are very hard for linemen. Thats a lot more weight they push off their knees 

Thats why I don’t want Simmons to be rushed back to play in 2019. 

I dont want him to be doing anthing for approx one more year.   Except rehabbing.   That would be 14-15 months from the injury.   I’ve seen no stories for Simmons and having problems in his rehab from surgery.

Obviously the Colts doctors would have to sign off on this....

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Depending who is there at 26 I would rather wait and see if Simmons is still there at 34. I want a guy at 26 that can play right away.

Just a question. Wasn’t he breaking up a fight that involved his sister. That is a lot different in my opinion then being a bad dude.

Supposedly, Simmons was breaking up a fight between the girl and his sister, but he was punching her after she was on the ground. He would have been OK just pulling her off of his sister, but that's where he really crossed the line. Is he really a good guy who just got caught up in the heat of the moment, or is he one more incident away from a felony assault charge? I have no idea, but between that and the ACL, I'm just not "all in" on him. But I trust that Ballard and Irsay will do their due diligence on him, and it's ultimately their call. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thats why I don’t want Simmons to be rushed back to play in 2019. 

I dont want him to be doing anthing for approx one more year.   Except rehabbing.   That would be 14-15 months from the injury.   I’ve seen no stories for Simmons and having problems in his rehab from surgery.

Obviously the Colts doctors would have to sign off on this....

Thats not happening. First round picks are expected to be impact players not just by the coaches and GM, but also by the owner. They want to see a return on their investment

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Thats not happening. First round picks are expected to be impact players not just by the coaches and GM, but also by the owner. They want to see a return on their investment

Not happening?    Says who?

If Ballard is running the show, and that's what he wants,  then that's what will happen.

Irsay will have a say as to whether we draft Simmons or not.    If it's no, then that's that.

But if Irsay says yes,   then Ballard takes it from there.    If Ballad says he'll sit out the whole season, and he might,   then Irsay will not and certainly should not step in.

Remember,  we have pick 34.    With Ballard's view that there are 14 premium players, and then everyone from roughy 15-75 is roughly the same,  then pick 34 is just as good as pick 26.    Pick 34 will be our first round pick and hopefully give us some value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I don't think Irsay would get involved one way or another.

I feel pretty confident that Irsay is paying Ballard to run the team and let's him do his job with no interference. Jim don't step in till there is an obvious problem.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Ballard is running the show, and that's what he wants,  then that's what will happen.

Irsay will have a say as to whether we draft Simmons or not.    If it's no, then that's that.

But if Irsay says yes,   then Ballard takes it from there.    If Ballad says he'll sit out the whole season, and he might,   then Irsay will not and certainly should not step in.

Remember,  we have pick 34.    With Ballard's view that there are 14 premium players, and then everyone from roughy 15-75 is roughly the same,  then pick 34 is just as good as pick 26.    Pick 34 will be our first round pick and hopefully give us some value.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think Irsay would get involved one way or another.

I feel pretty confident that Irsay is paying Ballard to run the team and let's him do his job with no interference. Jim don't step in till there is an obvious problem.

You guys really think Irsay isn't involved with atleast the first pick? Im sure his influence is limited, but Ballard still needs to convince him that X player is worth this pick

3 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Supposedly, Simmons was breaking up a fight between the girl and his sister, but he was punching her after she was on the ground. He would have been OK just pulling her off of his sister, but that's where he really crossed the line. Is he really a good guy who just got caught up in the heat of the moment, or is he one more incident away from a felony assault charge? I have no idea, but between that and the ACL, I'm just not "all in" on him. But I trust that Ballard and Irsay will do their due diligence on him, and it's ultimately their call. 

I guess when there is a family member involved it's a lot easier to lose your cool and do something reckless. I'd take Simmons at 26 as well if he is available. Even if he is out for the season, as others have said as well, I think it's worth taking him in. 

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You guys really think Irsay isn't involved with atleast the first pick? Im sure his influence is limited, but Ballard still needs to convince him that X player is worth this pick

I think Irsay will trust Ballard with the pick.

Ballard don't have to convince Irsay of anything.

Irsay pays the whole staff to do their job. When it shows someone is not doing their job then it will be time to hear from Irsay. Till then you wont hear much from Irsay as far as the team is run.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yes,  Ballard will have to convince Irsay of everything.     That the terrible incident was a one-time deal.    That his record shows he was a good before the incident and a model citizen after the incident. 

Ballard will have to have positive doctor reports on the rehab.   

And Ballard will have to convince Irsay tha Simmons is SO GOOD, that he's worth any PR trouble and he's worth the one year wait while the kid rehabs.    All of these are issues that Irsay is going to face as he lives his life in Indianapolis.    He has to deal with the local politicians,  the folks at the Country Club.    Alll the community charity work.   All the civic and religious leaders that will press Irsay on the issue of the incident.    All of it.

But once all of that is done,  and if we're lucky enough to have Simmons fall all the way to us,   then it's Ballard's show after that.     And my hope is that Ballard is saying don't rush back.   Take your time.    But be ready by next spring.    Because we want him ready when April practices start like they do this week.    Isn't it tomorrow?    Monday, the 15th.   Hopefully a year from now,  Simmons is stepping on a Colts practice field and the pick pays off.

Of course,  if he's picked before us,  or if Irsay doesn't sign off,  then all this was just an intellectual exercise.      And there it is....

10 hours ago, stitches said:

I mean, we say that every draft and every draft there is a guy with some sort of issue- be it injury or off-the field or drugs or something that drops to the 2nd round. It's not always a DT, but players with immense talent fall in the draft almost every year. IMO Tillery is close to Simmons talent-wise, but I'm not sure he will be there at 26.

I don't think it happens every year.

Off the top of my head,  without going year by year to double check,  off the top of my head I can remember two guys coming off serious injuries.     Jaylon Smith from Notre Dame who went to Dallas near the top of the 2nd.     And Myles Jack who went to UCLA and went to J'Ville near the top of the 2nd.     

I'm sure there are others.

I just don't think they happen every year.     And not like Simmons.    I don't think those type of players come along that often.     I could be wrong.    But you'll have to post some new names to convince me.     I'm only talking about taking advantage of injuries.    Not talking about violence that makes a player drop.    That's a separate issue.    This kid happens to have both.   Most unfortunate.

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think it happens every year.

Off the top of my head,  without going year by year to double check,  off the top of my head I can remember two guys coming off serious injuries.     Jaylon Smith from Notre Dame who went to Dallas near the top of the 2nd.     And Myles Jack who went to UCLA and went to J'Ville near the top of the 2nd.     

I'm sure there are others.

I just don't think they happen every year.     And not like Simmons.    I don't think those type of players come along that often.     I could be wrong.    But you'll have to post some new names to convince me.     I'm only talking about taking advantage of injuries.    Not talking about violence that makes a player drop.    That's a separate issue.    This kid happens to have both.   Most unfortunate.

Reuben Foster fell to 31 or something... He had top 5 talent. 

Dez Bryant was considered a top 5 talent and dropped to 24 again because of character concerns.

Mixon was extremely talented too and a lot of people had him as the best RB and top 10 player in his draft too. Randy Gregory is another one... La'el Collins. Sidney Jones was considered a top CB in his draft and he fell to the 2nd after he tore his Achilles. This is just off the top of my head... I bet there are others I'm forgetting in addition to the two LBs you pointed out. 

I agree Simmons is a great talent though. He might be better value than any of the ones we've mentioned so far. Again... I would love for us to draft him and I don't even mind if we use the 26th pick on him. 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  Ballard will have to convince Irsay of everything.     That the terrible incident was a one-time deal.    That his record shows he was a good before the incident and a model citizen after the incident. 

Ballard will have to have positive doctor reports on the rehab.   

And Ballard will have to convince Irsay tha Simmons is SO GOOD, that he's worth any PR trouble and he's worth the one year wait while the kid rehabs.    All of these are issues that Irsay is going to face as he lives his life in Indianapolis.    He has to deal with the local politicians,  the folks at the Country Club.    Alll the community charity work.   All the civic and religious leaders that will press Irsay on the issue of the incident.    All of it.

But once all of that is done,  and if we're lucky enough to have Simmons fall all the way to us,   then it's Ballard's show after that.     And my hope is that Ballard is saying don't rush back.   Take your time.    But be ready by next spring.    Because we want him ready when April practices start like they do this week.    Isn't it tomorrow?    Monday, the 15th.   Hopefully a year from now,  Simmons is stepping on a Colts practice field and the pick pays off.

Of course,  if he's picked before us,  or if Irsay doesn't sign off,  then all this was just an intellectual exercise.      And there it is....

I can respect that

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Irsay will trust Ballard with the pick.

Ballard don't have to convince Irsay of anything.

Irsay pays the whole staff to do their job. When it shows someone is not doing their job then it will be time to hear from Irsay. Till then you wont hear much from Irsay as far as the team is run.

Not sure its that cut and dry. Sure Irsay isnt going to undermine Ballard's decisions, but he is going to ask questions and explain what Ballard sees in this prospect.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Reuben Foster fell to 31 or something... He had top 5 talent. 

Dez Bryant was considered a top 5 talent and dropped to 24 again because of character concerns.

Mixon was extremely talented too and a lot of people had him as the best RB and top 10 player in his draft too. Randy Gregory is another one... La'el Collins. This is just off the top of my head... I bet there are others I'm forgetting in addition to the two LBs you pointed out. 

I agree Simmons is a great talent though. He might be better value than any of the ones we've mentioned so far. Again... I would love for us to draft him and I don't even mind if we use the 26th pick on him. 

Apparently you didn't read my post...

I specifically said I'm talking about injuries only.    Not all the other stuff.   Those happen every year.    But I'm talking about injuries because the discussion was about whether Simmons might play in 19, or not until 20.    That's why I gave the two examples I did.    Injuries,  not the character stuff?

The other stuff has to get signed off by Irsay.    He either says yes or no.   I'm hoping Ballard can convince Irsay to say yes.  The fact that we've brought Simmons to Indy for a dinner is hopefully a good sign.

Just want to make sure you and I are at least on the same page and discussing the same thing....

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I specifically said I'm talking about injuries only.    Not all the other stuff.   Those happen every year.    But I'm talking about injuries because the discussion was about whether Simmons might play in 19, or not until 20.    That's why I gave the two examples I did.    Injuries,  not the character stuff?

The other stuff has to get signed off by Irsay.    He either says yes or no.   I'm hoping Ballard can convince Irsay to say yes.  The fact that we've brought Simmons to Indy for a dinner is hopefully a good sign.

Just want to make sure you and I are at least on the same page and discussing the same thing....

Oh I didn't catch that, I'm sorry. You quoted my reply in which I was talking about players falling for all kinds of different reasons, so I assumed you were asking about players falling in general, not just due to injuries. My bad. Here's one that fell to the second due to injury - Sidney Jones to the middle of the second. He was considered one of the top CBs in his draft class. I don't know if you consider Hurst an injury, but it was again health related fall. 

I wonder with Simmons... I wouldn't push him necessarily, but different players recover in different time frames. 9 months recovery is somewhat of a standard for torn ACLs nowadays. This means he will probably be about ready for December games and playoffs. It's possible a team will bring him back from IR for a SB push. He might be a wild card not just for the long-term but for the short term too. Of course this only happens if he's 100% ready and cleared to play. I wouldn't push him to play earlier than his recovery requires. 

Yeah... Ballard doing his due diligence is a good sign but I'm still not sure he or Irsay will pull the trigger. I guess we'll see in due time... 10 more days, can't pass fast enough. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not sure its that cut and dry. Sure Irsay isnt going to undermine Ballard's decisions, but he is going to ask questions and explain what Ballard sees in this prospect.

Irsay asking questions and getting an explanation is not what you were insinuating in your earlier comments.

Naturally Irsay has the last word if he took that position but there is no reason for him to take that position.

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree, Ballard has brought in clean players with his early picks.  Let's b honest though, the Colts won't get an opportunity to pick  a DT with Simmons talent at 26 in this or future drafts.  He mayb available at 26 mostly because of his ACL tear. This D needs a game changing DT.  Can u think of anyone else who may equal Simmons talent at 26? Sure, u can get lucky, but great DT's and edge rushers r picked early in the 1st round.  I think we go D line with 2 of our 1st 3 picks and then safety with the other pick. Just a hunch

Two things: 

1. You will not know if Simmons retains his explosive traits until he’s fully healed. You are assuming modern medicine brings him back to 100% but it’s still a genuine risk that he won’t be. I wouldn’t roll the dice on him with the first pick. 

2. There is a very real chance that if he gets by the Colts at 26, he lasts until pick 34. At that point you can take the risk, IMO. Hopefully you’ve  snagged someone like Lawrence or Tillery with your first pick so the goal of improving the D line is met. Now, you go for the home run. 

And all this assumes Simmons passes the character test. From what I’ve read, I think he will. 

On 4/13/2019 at 6:48 PM, CR91 said:

The draft is less then two weeks away. What are your final guesses?

If we trade up, ill go with Brian Burns

If we stay at 26, ill go with Darnell Savage

I'm not sure who we will go with, or what trade we may or may not do, but I really think Ballard is gonna look at the trenches in round 1 heavily, DT,DE and OT are my guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

After Mentoring Grigson into oblivion, i expect he still enjoys listening to the discussions but then joins in agreeing to the final board with great enthusiasm.

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

After Mentoring Grigson into oblivion, i expect he still enjoys listening to the discussions but then joins in agreeing to the final board with great enthusiasm.

Irsay, this time around, feels like he has a Polian like guy in Ballard that believes in building through the draft primarily. Plus, given Ballard's credentials coming in compared to Grigson's, and the last year's turnaround with primarily draft picks, Irsay is just going to be there to bless everything as he has witnessed Ballard is pretty guarded with the money he has at his disposal to spend. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hasn't Ballard said he would not touch a player with negative character issues in the first 3 or 4 rounds?  I am pretty sure I have heard him say that.

Now we will just wait and see I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay asking questions and getting an explanation is not what you were insinuating in your earlier comments.

Naturally Irsay has the last word if he took that position but there is no reason for him to take that position.

Thats kinda the same thing. Irsay is still gonna want an explanation as to what Ballard sees in this player. All im saying is Simmons might be a tough sell for Ballard 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Thats kinda the same thing. Irsay is still gonna want an explanation as to what Ballard sees in this player. All im saying is Simmons might be a tough sell for Ballard 

I do agree with that.

Like I said earlier Ballard said he wouldn't draft a player with negative character issues with early round picks. We will see I guess.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I do agree with that.

Like I said earlier Ballard said he wouldn't draft a player with negative character issues with early round picks. We will see I guess.

It should be noted that the Colts had Simmons at their facility for a visit a week or two ago so the interest there is real.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hasn't Ballard said he would not touch a player with negative character issues in the first 3 or 4 rounds?  I am pretty sure I have heard him say that.

I think it’s 4 rounds, but it could be 5.   After all,  Cain wasn’t taken until the 6th round.

As for Simmons....   I guess it’s all about how you evaluate the kids character?  Not trying to be clever here...   but the kid has one bad incident in his life.   And it’s a really bad one.   But does one mistake equal a bad kid?   A problem child?    Doesn’t the fact that he’s been a model person for the last three years mean anything?   He was also said to be a good kid before the incident. 

If we’re not considering him, then why did we bring him in for a visit and dinner?   I would guess Irsay was at the dinner.   A get to know you evening.  

Ballard also likes to say that kids who are 21, 22, 23 make mistakes and you have to let them learn from them and grow...    

I don’t pretend to know what we’re going to do?   I’m mostly just thinking out loud.   Sorry this response is so long. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He did.  I believe it was 5 rounds.  I agree with him on that.  If you keep taking riskier players you will eventually get burned.  And missing out on early picks can really set a team back.  

If he takes Simmons I will be surprised but expect he had done all due diligence on the injury and background.   I will be cautiously optimistic.  

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it’s 4 rounds, but it could be 5.   After all,  Cain wasn’t taken until the 6th round.

As for Simmons....   I guess it’s all about how you evaluate the kids character?  Not trying to be clever here...   but the kid has one bad incident in his life.   And it’s a really bad one.   But does one mistake equal a bad kid?   A problem child?    Doesn’t the fact that he’s been a model person for the last three years mean anything?   He was also said to be a good kid before the incident. 

If we’re not considering him, then why did we bring him in for a visit and dinner?   I would guess Irsay was at the dinner.   A get to know you evening.  

Ballard also likes to say that kids who are 21, 22, 23 make mistakes and you have to let them learn from them and grow...    

I don’t pretend to know what we’re going to do?   I’m mostly just thinking out loud.   Sorry this response is so long. 

Everyone gets to make one big mistake.  And if you’re waiting on me well I guess you’re gonna have to weight.  - Tim Fite

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Usually when people say character issues, they mean possible drug issues and maybe a domestic violence charge like tyreek Hill's. Jeffrey Simmons hasn't done enough in my opinion to label him as a player with character issues. Is there a little concern? Maybe. But not much

Usually, a bad apple is easily shown by a PATTERN of mistakes and poor judgement

That means multiple infractions.........

I don't see a pattern

I see a kid who made a STUPID single mistake.

He SUPPOSEDLY has been a model citizen as well as a leader in the locker-room since

Usually a player that has a pattern of mistakes and wrong thinking has a diva approach

The one on one interviews are key to this discovery

On the Colts "with the next pick" series, the Colts player evaluator, has learned a skill of catching "fakers"

These kids are just that..........  easily fooled

Thats why they ask obscure questions...... to see how someone reacts when pinned

When I was searching for a new employee, I ALWAYS asked a question or two, that the candidate would have no idea how to prepare for........

As I cant see how this kid responds...... I have to trust the CB approach

• Like 2

My predictions:

I don't think he stays at #26...and that it's possible that #34 actually becomes the first pick. In that case, I think it becomes a S. My guess would be Adderley. 

In the event that he does stay at #26, I think it means that one of his "top 14" makes it. The most likely of that speculative group is Burns or Bush IMO...or possibly a DT like Wilkins.

I also think he definitely drafts a WR early. When he was in CHI...they drafted multiple Day Two WRs in a course of a few years...including Alshon...who Ballard wanted to sign (and who signed with PHI when Reich was there). I think there's a very good chance that both of those men look at this WR group and see at least one WR of that impact. 

As for who that WR will be...my money is on AJ Brown and Harry.  

26) Wilkins, Tillery, Lawrence (whichever is available) 

34) AJ Brown, Nkeal Harry (future of the WR corps)

59) Deionte Thompson, Juan Thornhill, Taylor Rapp

Sorry lol, kinda picked a few guys for each selection, but they're all in the same position group. Picks will be along these lines imo, depending on player availability. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

My predictions:

I don't think he stays at #26...and that it's possible that #34 actually becomes the first pick. In that case, I think it becomes a S. My guess would be Adderley. 

In the event that he does stay at #26, I think it means that one of his "top 14" makes it. The most likely of that speculative group is Burns or Bush IMO...or possibly a DT like Wilkins.

I also think he definitely drafts a WR early. When he was in CHI...they drafted multiple Day Two WRs in a course of a few years...including Alshon...who Ballard wanted to sign (and who signed with PHI when Reich was there). I think there's a very good chance that both of those men look at this WR group and see at least one WR of that impact. 

As for who that WR will be...my money is on AJ Brown and Harry.  

Those are the 2 I'm banking on as well, seem to be the 2 most complete WR's in the draft. I especially like Harry, I think he ends up the best WR from this draft, reminds me a lot of DeAndre Hopkins, except Harry actually measured a lot more athletically at the Combine. The way Harry makes catches in traffic reminds me a lot of Nuk. 

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

Jimmy knows a lot more about football than people give credit for.   Yes he will have input but he’s smart and I assume he’s in the same page with Ballard and Frank.  

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post.  Especially last paragraph 

• Thanks 1