Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeffrey Simmons

He's got flags, and an injury that will keep him out at least a year, and likely limit production at minimum in year 2. 

Personally I'd pass at 26 or 34. 

At 59 I'd grab him, but highly doubt he'd be there. On mock slid him to 71st, which I think is crazy. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

What the.....?

Big dudes and lower leg injuries aren't a combination that I like. So no thanks in the 1st round. I think Ballard would agree...but who knows.

And this doesn't even consider the other red flag.

23 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I’d prefer we spend our #26 pick on someone with ZERO injury or off field questions.

I don’t think Ballard will select him.

Yeah, at this point I think a chief priority for the Colts should be minimizing risk with high draft picks. The draft is risky enough without taking guys coming off of major leg injuries. Not to mention the off field stuff.

• Like 4

Odds are Simmons will gone before he reaches pick 26.

I'll take that bet, NCF. I just can't see a pick that valuable used on a guy who may not be all the way back until well into year #2. And...its not an absolute that he will completely recover. Modern medical outcomes suggest he likely will, but that's no guarantee. So its a big risk taking him in the first round. The risk diminishes with the value of the pick. 

I suspect he's plucked mid 2nd round or so. I wouldn't take him at either pick 26 or 34. Those two picks for the Colts are just too critical to roll the dice like that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Oh I know who you are, the person that post for likes.

No idea where you get this from...it's absolutely not true.  

Meaning I don't care about the popular opinion, as the heard is usually lost themselves.

I actually agree with this...though it's "herd".

I speak from a "frank" point of view. The truth is never popular and I could careless for popularity or likes. 

Your point of view and the truth are not necessarily the same thing, and in this case, you expressed your opinion...not truth.  BTW, the phrase is "couldN'T care less".  If you COULD care less, then please do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

What kinda childish game you over there playing? Some of you never seem to surprise me. I mean I could never come up with things like this. If you can't talk football keep the board games in your closet. I'm not interested in playing. That includes memes. I'm a little busy with a career, and I've graduated from college, university, all of which were not paid for by back doors. I'm sorry guys. Not interested.

You really need to relax. Throughout this thread you've jumped down the throat of everyone who says something you disagree with, and now you've decided that the best way to respond is by attacks and personal insults.

My initial response to you was because you flew off the deep end, and here you are still, shouting at the rain. Seriously, relax.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

Odds are Simmons will gone before he reaches pick 26.

I'll take that bet, NCF. I just can't see a pick that valuable used on a guy who may not be all the way back until well into year #2. And...its not an absolute that he will completely recover. Modern medical outcomes suggest he likely will, but that's no guarantee. So its a big risk taking him in the first round. The risk diminishes with the value of the pick. 

I suspect he's plucked mid 2nd round or so. I wouldn't take him at either pick 26 or 34. Those two picks for the Colts are just too critical to roll the dice like that. 

You wouldn’t take a top-10 player with pick 34?!?

Really?

I’d do it in a heart beat.    I’d only use pick 26 on Simmons if all the other players Ballard hoped to take in the first round were already selected.  

But with 34 being a bonus pick, I’d be thrilled to get him there.   Just like Jaylon Smith who went to Dallas near the top of the 2nd and the UCLA LB who went to J’Ville near the top of the 2nd.  

To me,  that’s a gift.

• Like 6

OF Course.... anything can happen

But....

I think that there will be someone who will take Simmons before us at 34

The Raiders have 133 first round picks........  I bet they take him at 22

I dont see him getting by NE either..... The better teams have a great front office.......

They arent going to allow him (top 15 talent) to slide to us... 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You wouldn’t take a top-10 player with pick 34?!?

Really?

I’d do it in a heart beat.    I’d only use pick 26 on Simmons if all the other players Ballard hoped to take in the first round were already selected.  

But with 34 being a bonus pick, I’d be thrilled to get him there.   Just like Jaylon Smith who went to Dallas near the top of the 2nd and the UCLA LB who went to J’Ville near the top of the 2nd.  

To me,  that’s a gift.

Jaylon Smith is a good example. But it's important to remember that the odds were dramatically stacked against him, and his recovery is pretty remarkable. Even still, there are questions about how long he'll be able to play at a high level because of the nerve damage in his leg/foot, but right now, he looks like the top ten prospect everyone expected him to be. 

Myles Jack (from UCLA) is a different situation, IMO. He had a meniscus tear, and he opted for the repair procedure, rather than the partial removal. It was a longer recovery, but it would theoretically be a more complete recovery with less chance for future damage. No nerve damage, kind of routine, just a longer recovery than usual for a meniscus tear. I'm still concerned about it, long term, but no one expected him to miss time as a rookie, and he's been mostly okay through three seasons, health-wise.

Simmons is an ACL, like Smith, and he's not going to play his rookie year, like Smith. Because he's a trench player, his lateral movement isn't as critical as the LBers you mentioned, but then again, his agility and explosiveness are the traits that make him such a highly rated prospect. I don't think he'll be "himself" physically until at least halfway through the 2020 season, and probably not until 2021. Then he's a free agent after 2022. So you have only three years to coach him up, and probably only two years of meaningful evaluation.

Since you're automatically losing a year to injury, it would probably be better to take him in the first, where you can option the fifth year.

In the Colts situation, I'm thinking it makes sense to be risk-averse right now. Especially toward the top of the draft. I don't see pick #34 as a pick to gamble with, I see it as a pick to get another solid prospect and give the team a bit of a boost with their roster building. Even if that means potentially missing out on a top ten prospect in this year's draft. I'm shying away from Simmons because of the ACL, first and foremost.

If he's there on Day 3, I'm okay with the injury situation. Maybe even in the third round. But at that point, it will be about his character, in light of his past issues off the field. And like you said, that's ultimately up to the top dog to decide, based on what Ballard, Reich and Decker have for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Jaylon Smith is a good example. But it's important to remember that the odds were dramatically stacked against him, and his recovery is pretty remarkable. Even still, there are questions about how long he'll be able to play at a high level because of the nerve damage in his leg/foot, but right now, he looks like the top ten prospect everyone expected him to be. 

Myles Jack (from UCLA) is a different situation, IMO. He had a meniscus tear, and he opted for the repair procedure, rather than the partial removal. It was a longer recovery, but it would theoretically be a more complete recovery with less chance for future damage. No nerve damage, kind of routine, just a longer recovery than usual for a meniscus tear. I'm still concerned about it, long term, but no one expected him to miss time as a rookie, and he's been mostly okay through three seasons, health-wise.

Simmons is an ACL, like Smith, and he's not going to play his rookie year, like Smith. Because he's a trench player, his lateral movement isn't as critical as the LBers you mentioned, but then again, his agility and explosiveness are the traits that make him such a highly rated prospect. I don't think he'll be "himself" physically until at least halfway through the 2020 season, and probably not until 2021. Then he's a free agent after 2022. So you have only three years to coach him up, and probably only two years of meaningful evaluation.

Since you're automatically losing a year to injury, it would probably be better to take him in the first, where you can option the fifth year.

In the Colts situation, I'm thinking it makes sense to be risk-averse right now. Especially toward the top of the draft. I don't see pick #34 as a pick to gamble with, I see it as a pick to get another solid prospect and give the team a bit of a boost with their roster building. Even if that means potentially missing out on a top ten prospect in this year's draft. I'm shying away from Simmons because of the ACL, first and foremost.

If he's there on Day 3, I'm okay with the injury situation. Maybe even in the third round. But at that point, it will be about his character, in light of his past issues off the field. And like you said, that's ultimately up to the top dog to decide, based on what Ballard, Reich and Decker have for him.

Something about Jaylon Smith that not many people know... the doctor who did his surgery is the doctor of the Cowboys. They must have had a pretty strong endorsement from their medical staff and the operating doctor in order to make that call. All the reports were pretty grim at the time, but it seems like they knew better than everybody else. 

On Simmons... I agree that if we are going to be picking him, I prefer we pick him in the 1st at 26 rather than with 34, because of the extra year, even if I knew he would drop to 34. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 10:15 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

doubt it but could definitely see it st 34 if he is there 

That is my take. Let’s see what’s available to us at 26 first and if everhas been picked clean from the defense, take him. If you have a guy who is high enough on your list for defense, take him and hope Simmons is there at 34 but don’t lose sleep if he isn’t. He may never end up being the same guy post injury. Never know. Take the more sure bet first, Houston helps cushion the blow of not having the second guy (Simmons at 34) but we still need more defense whether it’s DL or S or CB. We need better playmakers from that 26 spot. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Something about Jaylon Smith that not many people know... the doctor who did his surgery is the doctor of the Cowboys. They must have had a pretty strong endorsement from their medical staff and the operating doctor in order to make that call. All the reports were pretty grim at the time, but it seems like they knew better than everybody else. 

On Simmons... I agree that if we are going to be picking him, I prefer we pick him in the 1st at 26 rather than with 34, because of the extra year, even if I knew he would drop to 34. 

Why is the 5th year such an important factor to a few guys here? I mean, we red shirt him 2019, takes a half year to heal fully for 2020 and then we get 2021 and 2022 in full. If he is what you wanted from the position, we get that first shot to sign his big deal before FA period hits and who knows what happens with the next NFLPA contract negotiations that are upcoming. Maybe they remove that 5th year option anyway, or they allow a red shirt type year not count at all, we don’t know. I’m against taking him with 26 but if all the CB prospects he wanted are gone, I’d be fine at that point but I’d rather have a participant for the 2019 year to be picked. We should have several options at 26, gamble with Simmons 8 picks later. 

13 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Why is the 5th year such an important factor to a few guys here? I mean, we red shirt him 2019, takes a half year to heal fully for 2020 and then we get 2021 and 2022 in full. If he is what you wanted from the position, we get that first shot to sign his big deal before FA period hits and who knows what happens with the next NFLPA contract negotiations that are upcoming. Maybe they remove that 5th year option anyway, or they allow a red shirt type year not count at all, we don’t know. I’m against taking him with 26 but if all the CB prospects he wanted are gone, I’d be fine at that point but I’d rather have a participant for the 2019 year to be picked. We should have several options at 26, gamble with Simmons 8 picks later. 

Because it gives you an extra year of control. Another year you won't need to worry about whether to give him long-term contract or not. It's important precisely because it's a serious injury and every year extra of cost controlled contract gives you value... and this is especially true if he becomes a great player by lets say year 3. 

Even if the new CBA removes the 5th year, this won't affect players drafted this year... because they will be drafted under the current CBA not under the next one. 

edit: also, my argument wasn't about Simmons vs another player. I can absolutely see why people would rather draft another player. My argument was about Simmons at 26(or lets say late 1st in general) or Simmons at 34. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

For me, the fifth year option isn't usually a major consideration. In this case, I'm assuming Simmons misses 2019 and isn't physically 100% for 2020. So without the fifth year option, you only get two seasons to truly evaluate his ability to play in the NFL before you have to make a decision on his next contract. 

More big picture, I'm all for players hitting free agency sooner, but I dislike the four year rookie contracts. I think it's too short of a window to allow a player to hit their stride and be properly evaluated.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 9:10 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

NO WAY!!!

The percentage in this Forum was very high against drafting Mixon.

So it would be hypocritical to say yay to Simmons because he's a DT instead of a RB.

Plus he has a serious knee injury and probably be Red Shirted in 2019.

I don't think the Colts would draft him in the first, not because of the video but because of the knee injury.  And you cannot compare Simmons' situation with Mixon's.  1.) Simmons was protecting his sister, One of Mixon's friends propositioned a girl to have sex with Mixon because it was his birthday when she refused they argued and then he hit her 2.) Simmons' incident happened when he was in high school and, by all reports, he has been a team leader and upstanding citizen his entire college career.

And as strong as my feelings are against guys hitting girls... I feel more strongly about protecting family.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

For me, the fifth year option isn't usually a major consideration. In this case, I'm assuming Simmons misses 2019 and isn't physically 100% for 2020. So without the fifth year option, you only get two seasons to truly evaluate his ability to play in the NFL before you have to make a decision on his next contract. 

More big picture, I'm all for players hitting free agency sooner, but I dislike the four year rookie contracts. I think it's too short of a window to allow a player to hit their stride and be properly evaluated.

Not sure where you're getting your timeline from. He could easily start to get reps at the end of this coming season. You don't see him being 100% healthy 20 months after an ACL?

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

My point was if he shows what you’re looking for in year 3-4, just sign the long term deal as you know now what you have generally speaking. Both sides though have valid merit to the argument which is a breath of fresh air instead of the only my way is right, not yours type we see too often. 

17 minutes ago, wig said:

Not sure where you're getting your timeline from. He could easily start to get reps at the end of this coming season. You don't see him being 100% healthy 20 months after an ACL?

He tore his ACL in February of 2019. I don't see him playing in 2019 at all.

As for being 100% healthy in 2020, I think his knee can be cleared and fully rehabbed and all that good stuff, and there be no significant concerns about a setback or subsequent injury.

But I'm talking about being fully ready to play football. I think it's typical for even established pros to need a season to get back out on the field and play, and then after a couple months, or maybe even a season later, they really start to feel like they're back. I think a player needs that first year back to get his legs back under him, so to speak.

16 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

My point was if he shows what you’re looking for in year 3-4, just sign the long term deal as you know now what you have generally speaking. Both sides though have valid merit to the argument which is a breath of fresh air instead of the only my way is right, not yours type we see too often. 

So what I'm saying is, with the injury risk and the lost year, having the fifth year option kind of makes up for it. At least, partially. It's not a HUGE deal, but it is a consideration, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

He tore his ACL in February of 2019. I don't see him playing in 2019 at all.

As for being 100% healthy in 2020, I think his knee can be cleared and fully rehabbed and all that good stuff, and there be no significant concerns about a setback or subsequent injury.

But I'm talking about being fully ready to play football. I think it's typical for even established pros to need a season to get back out on the field and play, and then after a couple months, or maybe even a season later, they really start to feel like they're back. I think a player needs that first year back to get his legs back under him, so to speak.

That's fair. And I agree playing at all next year would be a rare case. 

I don't think he'd need the whole 2020 season to be back though, personally (based on what I've typically observed).  He should be good for all the off season work. I'd think that after the pre season he'd have confidence. 

I saw the confidence issue a lot more when ACLs were legitimate career threatening injuries. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

1.) Simmons was protecting his sister

This is not true.  The video shows a woman (his sister?) knocking another woman to the ground.  Then he pummels that woman, while she is on the ground, several times in the head.

The rest of what you say may be true but that is not.  

• Like 1