Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: OLB Aaron Lynch visiting Colts tomorrow

5 minutes ago, MTC said:

Now THIS is solid news and the type of signing I would expect of Ballard.

A 26 yr old above average edge player who hopefully will come in at a solid contract value and still has upside to outplay what he signs for.

Would be a nice signing and smart to bring him in for a visit and kick the tires

Lynch has potential, but sort of an enigma to me. He was head case at ND before he left. Went to SF and had two decent years, then for whatever reason saw decreased play and performance in his final two years there. Chicago picked him up and he was a decent depth player. 

Chicago paid 3M for him last year. I'd have no problem paying that for one year if his head is on straight. At minimum he would be solid depth with a chance to do more. 

• Like 3

As others in this thread have noted...   this would appear to be a very Ballard type of signing.   And as long as Lynch has grown up and matured I’d be fine with signing him.

Another name I’ve expecting to see is Benson Mayawa.   Formerly with Dallas, so ME knows him, we were linked with him last year but he ultimately signed with Arizona.   I keep waiting for a tweet connecting him with us this year. 

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Lynch has potential, but sort of an enigma to me. He was head case at ND before he left. Went to SF and had two decent years, then for whatever reason saw decreased play and performance in his final two years there. Chicago picked him up and he was a decent depth player. 

Chicago paid him 3M last year. I'd have no problem paying that for one year if his head is on straight. At minimum he would be solid depth with a chance to do more. 

I could be wrong and it is small differences, but didn't he make around $4M in Chicago last year?

I only ask because with him having visited the Raiders and Seahawks this week before us, I imagine he is either not happy with offers or trying to drum up interest and get the best contract or leverage he can.

As such, I imagine it would take at least what he made last year to get him to sign.

I would have no problem paying him what Shaq Barrett got in TB (and what he netted last year) to see what he's got. So around 1 year and $4M or so.

What I will be super curious about is if we do offer him a contract, what we see in Lynch (outside of talent and potential) that makes him a guy we want to add to the locker room and the "Colture".

The two big knocks on him I have seen were related to his PED suspension and then to his conditioning where he let himself get to 300lbs one off-season.

Either way, I'd be happy to have him and see what he can do. He definitely profiles as a guy that would likely be the strong side DE where Sheard is. So some depth there would be nice to have.

• Like 3

I really liked Lynch coming into the league. Like others have said, he dealt with maturity/discipline issues until he played under Fangio who seemed to really help. I'd be all for it...Eberflus seems to run a really tight ship when it comes to discipline/effort, so hopefully it'd work out if we got him.

• Like 1

When he showed up to camp overweight - man, he looks huge in those highlights.  

Drug suspension.  Missed time due to injuries.  

He's shown he can play, apparently, if he keeps his weight down and stays on the field.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

When he showed up to camp overweight - man, he looks huge in those highlights.  

Drug suspension.  Missed time due to injuries.  

He's shown he can play, apparently, if he keeps his weight down and stays on the field.

Wow. Well if we signed him nobody would be able to say ballard doesn’t sign questionable guys.

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

I could be wrong and it is small differences, but didn't he make around $4M in Chicago last year?

I only ask because with him having visited the Raiders and Seahawks this week before us, I imagine he is either not happy with offers or trying to drum up interest and get the best contract or leverage he can.

As such, I imagine it would take at least what he made last year to get him to sign.

I would have no problem paying him what Shaq Barrett got in TB (and what he netted last year) to see what he's got. So around 1 year and $4M or so.

What I will be super curious about is if we do offer him a contract, what we see in Lynch (outside of talent and potential) that makes him a guy we want to add to the locker room and the "Colture".

The two big knocks on him I have seen were related to his PED suspension and then to his conditioning where he let himself get to 300lbs one off-season.

Either way, I'd be happy to have him and see what he can do. He definitely profiles as a guy that would likely be the strong side DE where Sheard is. So some depth there would be nice to have.

yup you're right. i just looked it up and it was 3.9M. my cousin who is a Bears fan call him the 3M Dollar Man for some reason (likely to give me hell since I'm a ND fan). 

not sure he'd be worth more this year since last year was a "prove it" deal, and he really didn't prove a lot. he was injured early in Chicago (who chose to let him go) and already had Qs about his ability to stay healthy and fit. 

Raiders talk/interest if true would be a horrible place for him IMO. Seattle might not be all that bad, but all the Russell Wilson talk might be a difference maker all other things equal. Indy would be a great place for him to rebound. He's got a young kid, and I think has tried to keep focused since the birth and losing the weight. 

i'm a little sentimental as 1) he spent time at ND, and 2) i love seeing a good comeback, so not sure my optimism about him is warranted. i also love his mom, who was big time pro-ND, and IIRC, tried to keep him on the straight and narrow. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wow. Well if we signed him nobody would be able to say ballard doesn’t sign questionable guys.

he's not all that bad. pretty sure it (suspension) was weed (shocker in Cali...).

in college, he wasn't like a thug getting arrested for brawling, stealing, or guns stuff. it was just bone headed stuff (might have been weed then too) and effort. 

to me, it's all about where his head is at now, and the last 2 years (since he had the kid, and lost the weight). if Chicago coaches tell us his head and effort are good, i'm thumbs up. when the Bears got Mack, most thought Lynch would be a casualty anyway. 

As a poster above said, he was a head case at Notre Dame and he’s had his share of issues since entering the league. I actually mocked him coming to us last year in the offseason on a cheap deal so I have no problems with it for this year either. He’s not anyone you want to rely on to play starter snaps but as a rotational lineman the potential has always been there just never realized. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MTC said:

College defensive end at Notre Dame then transferred to South Florida.

49ers drafted him as a 3-4 OLB and is a classic case of being miscast - in my opinion.

Played pretty solid for the Bears last year, set the edge pretty well and generated a bit of pass rush too. 

Would be a younger version of Sheard and could battle Lewis for that starting left defensive end spot in 2020.

All it takes is the "right" voice in his head and he could click and put the mental and physical game together. Could be a teammate (ala Mike Mitchell and Wilson) or a coach.

Worth the gamble in my eyes because we're primarily signing him as depth - but if he earns starters reps he'll be given starters reps. That much our staff has shown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

49ers drafted him as a 3-4 OLB and is a classic case of being miscast - in my opinion.

Played pretty solid for the Bears last year, set the edge pretty well and generated a bit of pass rush too. 

Would be a younger version of Sheard and could battle Lewis for that starting left defensive end spot in 2020.

All it takes is the "right" voice in his head and he could click and put the mental and physical game together. Could be a teammate (ala Mike Mitchell and Wilson) or a coach.

Worth the gamble in my eyes because we're primarily signing him as depth - but if he earns starters reps he'll be given starters reps. That much our staff has shown.

Not sure I'd say he was miscast by SF.

He had two good years in SF before losing favor. And he lost that on his own. Likely weed suspension, and then showing up 50lbs over weight. 

I agree though about the right voice in his head. The big question is, can he quiet the other voices that have been present for so long.

If he's got his head on straight, I think he's definitely worth the risk. That's a decent size IF though. Would love to know what the Chicago coaches though of his effort and focus.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

If we added Tillery to that line we'd be some long arm ball batting fools

Yeah, I really like the 6'7" Tillery for our line to add to a base rotation of 6'8" Margus Hunt and 6'5" Denico Autry. Length to run stunts and long arms to bat down balls. Plus, like the fact that Tillery has been lined at DE as well at ND, so he has experience being moved around the line plenty.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Still in favor of Ansah. Especially over Lynch.

i worry about Ansah's shoulder/health as much as I worry about Lynch's behavioral issues. Ansah is 30 while Lynch is 26, so there's a bit of an advantage for Lynch. if Ansah is healthy though, i agree if the $ are similar. if lynch is much cheaper, i'd go that way assuming we are planning to draft DL early anyway.

Lynch could be a sneaky good signing on a one year prove it deal. He has a lot of talent; he's also been his own worst enemy in the past. Clearly Ballard is curious, and must have made a few calls to even bring him in. 

Lets face it: the Colts are very, very needy in the pass rush department. Getting a diamond in the rough at this point in Free Agency would be outstanding. I'm not holding my breath, but if Ballard thinks the guy has turned things around enough to sign him, Lynch has the potential to solve some large problems for the Colts next year. 

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I like Lynch as depth...but I expect the LDE position to be locked down by someone who isn't on the team by then.

33 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Lynch could be a sneaky good signing on a one year prove it deal. He has a lot of talent; he's also been his own worst enemy in the past. Clearly Ballard is curious, and must have made a few calls to even bring him in. 

Lets face it: the Colts are very, very needy in the pass rush department. Getting a diamond in the rough at this point in Free Agency would be outstanding. I'm not holding my breath, but if Ballard thinks the guy has turned things around enough to sign him, Lynch has the potential to solve some large problems for the Colts next year. 

Lynch has pro bowl ceiling, and a bone head bust floor lol. 

Would love to see him turn it around and succeed. 

21 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Now THIS is solid news and the type of signing I would expect of Ballard.

A 26 yr old above average edge player who hopefully will come in at a solid contract value and still has upside to outplay what he signs for.

Would be a nice signing and smart to bring him in for a visit and kick the tires

Why do you say he is above average?  Nothing about his stats would imply that.  I think he had 3 sacks last year.  Nothing too special there. Am I missing something?  

34 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Why do you say he is above average?  Nothing about his stats would imply that.  I think he had 3 sacks last year.  Nothing too special there. Am I missing something?  

he played behind Khalil Mack. 3 sacks in only 3 starts, and total 13 games. only played about 1/3 of snaps.

aside from the above suggesting quality depth, many feel he might excel in the right system IF he has gotten past his maturity issues.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Im also one who subscribes to the theory that sacks don’t tell everything. He also had 8 QB hits on top of his sacks. He generates pressure at a solid rate for a backup guy. 

Im pretty sure before Autry came here he “only” had 5 sacks the previous year and 10.5 in a four year career as a spot player. Lynch has 18 or so in 5 years. He has the potential to shine w more time like Autry did. 

Also, he generally gets solid or above average run defense grades. Sets the edge fairly well. 

Im not saying he’s a world beater. But if he comes in at $5M or less on a short deal then he is well worth being part of the rotation and would be an above average depth signing. Just my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A reminder.....

Under Chris Ballard we will ALWAYS be looking for more pass rush.    We will never have enough.

We want 10 on the 53-man roster.   8 on the Game Day 46.   That's a lot.

They won't all be starters or stars.   Some will be depth,  but if we can,  we want to make it quality depth.    Remember,  fans see what a player IS....    personnel people try to see what a player CAN BE.    Two different concepts.

Lynch might never start,  might he might be a quality rotational piece as some here have noted.

If we sign him,  it'll likely be on a short deal....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

Under Chris Ballard we will ALWAYS be looking for more pass rush.    We will never have enough.

They won't all be starters or stars.   Some will be depth,  but if we can,  we want to make it quality depth.    Remember,  fans see what a player IS....    personnel people try to see what a player CAN BE.    Two different concepts.

Lynch might never start,  might he might be a quality rotational piece as some here have noted.

If we sign him,  it'll likely be on a short deal....

Yep.  And I'd even be OK with signing Houston to a short, incentive-laden deal as well.  Just not for several years and crazy guaranteed money.

• Like 1

Ballard might want to shy away from signing guys like Houston and Ansah due to injury concerns and age. They’re probably looking for multi-year deals as well. I wouldn’t look too much into Lynch had only 3 sacks last year.

How many sacks did Autry have with the Raiders? When he came here he got 9 could’ve gotten 10. Eberflus knows how to get a lot from his defensive linemen. He comes from that Dallas system. 

On 3/19/2019 at 9:19 PM, Irish YJ said:

Chicago paid 3M for him last year. I'd have no problem paying that for one year if his head is on straight. At minimum he would be solid depth with a chance to do more. 

Yeah, he screwed ND...F that guy lol

10 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, he screwed ND...F that guy lol

I'm a huge ND homer, but honestly he should have never come to ND. I was pumped when he committed but it was pretty obvious he wasn't a good fit. His mom was so pro-ND and I think she may have probably pushed him to ND. 

I moved on pretty quick when he left, and I'm happy to take him IF his head is in the right place now.

• Like 1