Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Jaguars expected to sign Nick Foles

RockThatBlue

4 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

The Jags are contenders at this point if they sign him. Yes, their cap space situation will lead to many terrible problems later, but next year they might win the division and if they're in the playoffs, look out...

Between the Colts, Texans, and Jags it is going to be very entertaining to watch if Foles goes there. Titans are even a .500 team at worse. 

• Like 1

This is one way the Jaguars could create cap space: 

Release Malik Jackson - Saves $11 Million 

Release Blake Bortles - Saves $4.5 Million 

Release Tashaun Gibson - Saves $7.45 Million

Release Carlos Hyde - Saves $4.7 Million 

Restructure Calais Campbell - Saves $5.485 Million

Restructure A.J. Bouye - Saves $8.13 Million

Restructure Marcell Dareus - Saves $952,000

Restructure Marquise Lee - Saves $4.3 Million

Jaguars would have $44,797,303 in cap space if they made these moves.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

He's light years better than Bortles (which isn't hard to do) 

We shall see.  He wasn't that special before Philly.  Being the man is different.  Jags have to be a bazillion over the cap by now. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Career been crap”?

“Definitely yet to prove it”?

Holy cow!    Insanity at its finest.

This is one of the biggest steaming piles I’ve seen posted around here in a while.

Personally,  I’d be embarrassed to have written this.

Nah, you stuck on 2016 Foles?  or the few months of playoffs Foles?  He has been great for those stretches, to be sure.  He's been nothing extraordinary in the other years of his career....  

I'm not embarrassed of my opinion, nor should you be of any of yours....  it's a internet fan site, get over yourself and have a good time, don't take things so seriously.

2 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

We shall see.  He wasn't that special before Philly.  Being the man is different.  Jags have to be a bazillion over the cap by now. 

Before Philly?  He was in college before Philly. :P

2 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

This is one way the Jaguars could create cap space: 

Release Malik Jackson - Saves $11 Million 

Release Blake Bortles - Saves $4.5 Million 

Release Tashaun Gibson - Saves $7.45 Million

Release Carlos Hyde - Saves $4.7 Million 

Restructure Calais Campbell - Saves $5.485 Million

Restructure A.J. Bouye - Saves $8.13 Million

Restructure Marcell Dareus - Saves $952,000

Restructure Marquise Lee - Saves $4.3 Million

Jaguars would have $44,797,303 in cap space if they made these moves.   

And after signing Foles, designate Bortles as a post June 1 release.  Leaves Jags with 11.5 million in dead cap, but SAVES 9.5 million on their cap.

2 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Plenty of ways for them to get it done and be under. See above ^^^

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

And after signing Foles, designate Bortles as a post June 1 release.  Leaves Jags with 11.5 million in dead cap, but SAVES 9.5 million on their cap.

That's only gonna work for a year or two. And assumes a lot of cooperation. 

Actually looking at their cap situation it would be pretty difficult to fit him in.  

However if they did a trade like the Texans did several years ago it might work out.

A post June 1 trade would clear up 16 million in cap space off of Bortles contract.  But I sense they are going to have to give a team draft picks for this.  Because no one in their right mind trades for Bortles at the amount he's being paid to keep him.  

59 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Just releasing Bortles, Malik Jackson and Carlos Hyde alone saves them $20 plus million, enough to put all of those as guaranteed money for Nick Foles. 

With all the money invested, that is why it was surprising they paid Norwell that much last year. The true problem there is David Caldwell, IMO. Apparently, Marrone and Caldwell earn favorable opinions from Coughlin, not sure why. 

Jackson and Hyde are gone, but do they make other cuts/restructures so they can recoup more cap space in June by designating Bortles as post June 1 release?  Or do they settle for reduced cap space by pre-June 1 release of Bortles?

They'll get something done, league mandatory or signing wont go through.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

A post June 1 trade would clear up 16 million in cap space off of Bortles contract. 

But, like a post June 1 release, the cap space created is not credited for use until June 1. Not before.  So other things would need to be done as well.

21 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But, like a post June 1 release, the cap space created is not credited for use until June 1. Not before.  So other things would need to be done as well.

At what point do they have to be above the cap # since they are apparently below it now?  If it's not til June 1 they can sign him and wait til then to make the appropriate cuts necessary.

28 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

At what point do they have to be above the cap # since they are apparently below it now?  If it's not til June 1 they can sign him and wait til then to make the appropriate cuts necessary.

March 13, start of the new season, all teams must bet at or under the (new) cap - 188.2 million

A post June 1 release or trade designation does not free up the actual cap space from March through May 31. Even though the player is no longer around.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, jvan1973 said:

RIP Nick Foles career

I'm not sure how he will do there but there's almost no way he will be worse than Bortles. Almost anyone with a pulse is an improvement over Bortles. If he is just average the Jags will be tough because we already know they have a great defense.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm not sure how he will do there but there's almost no way he will be worse than Bortles. Almost anyone with a pulse is an improvement over Bortles. If he is just average the Jags will be tough because we already know they have a great defense.

Yep.   This is a certain improvement for the Jags.   Foles is wiser now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CamMo said:

The Jags beat us 6-0 because their defense is that good. With Foles, I think they could win the division.

Really, really hope we get more weapons for Andrew the more I think about it. 

They cut or traded a lot of players today. How are they going to add players if they are already at the cap after signing Foles.

3 hours ago, CamMo said:

The Jags beat us 6-0 because their defense is that good. With Foles, I think they could win the division.

We also put up 29 on that defense.

And that defense no longer has Malik Jackson or Tashaun Gipson.

I'd be surprised if they ever goose-egg us again.  :thmup:

19 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We also put up 29 on that defense.

And that defense no longer has Malik Jackson or Tashaun Gipson.

I'd be surprised if they ever goose-egg us again.  :thmup:

You are probably right. Just so many question marks with injuries. I need my man Jack Doyle to return to form. There were so many situations that our offense NEEDED him, imo.

10 minutes ago, CamMo said:

You are probably right. Just so many question marks with injuries. I need my man Jack Doyle to return to form. There were so many situations that our offense NEEDED him, imo.

We missed his middle of the field catching ability. We could of really used him against KC to give us that middle of the field prescence.