Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars void Leonard Fournette’s guarantees in his contract.

This move affects his $7.1 million dollar salary he is set to make in the next two years. If the guarantees are void, the Jaguars  can cut the 23 year old running back without repercussions. 

Do You think Ballard should sign him if he’s cut? Everyone wants Bell and rightfully so. Fournette doesn’t have the resume that Bell has, but he’s younger and Ballard can sign him to a prove it deal and make him earn a new contract. Health is a concern with him though. 

I don't think this one is gonna hold up in court.  Unless there's some suspension language in rookie contracts, which I'm not aware of.  

And to answer your question.  HELL NO, PASS!! Fournette and Yeldon both are prima donnas. and Mack out performed both by a large margin.

Fournette, 133 carries, 439 yards, 3.8 ypc.

Mack, 195 carries, 908 carries , 4.7 ypc.

Mack is better, younger, healthier and has a better attitude.  This Levon Bell and Fournette talk is just plain dumb. Mack ranked 15th overall out of 50 RBs who got more than 80 carries this year.  Fournette was 46. 

Do posters on this forum ever look up stuff besides just a name?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I don't think this one is gonna hold up in court.  Unless there's some suspension language in rookie contracts, which I'm not aware of.  

And to answer your question.  HELL NO, PASS!! Fournette and Yeldon both are prima donnas. and Mack out performed both by a large margin.

Mack is better, younger, healthier and has a better attitude.  This Levon Bell and Fournette talk is just plain dumb. Mack ranked 15th overall out of 50 RBs who got more than 80 carries this year.  Fournette was 46. 

Rookie contract have void for suspensions handed by league. Was reason Roquan Smith contract took so long. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Rookie contract have void for suspensions handed by league. Was reason Roquan Smith contract took so long. 

I'm not the only one wondering this.  You can void certain things but not guaranteed monies from what all the talking heads on sports radio are saying.  Including Rapoport. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006440/article/marrone-jags-voided-leonard-fournette-guarantees

"Speaking on "Good Morning Football" on Monday, Rapoport said it's not clear whether the Jaguars are even allowed to void guarantees in Fournette's contract.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

They have prolly the worst passing attack in the league and the line is not good plus he's been hurt.  There are not many people who will say that mack is better or more talented than Leonard Fournette 

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm not the only one wondering this.  You can void certain things but not guaranteed monies from what all the talking heads on sports radio are saying.  Including Rapoport. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006440/article/marrone-jags-voided-leonard-fournette-guarantees

"Speaking on "Good Morning Football" on Monday, Rapoport said it's not clear whether the Jaguars are even allowed to void guarantees in Fournette's contract.

From what I've seen over the CBA there is offsetting language that is put in. Unless a team doesnt they are able to use it as a base. Specifically I think they are trying to see if there is a way this type of suspension for on field things doesnt count would be my guess

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

They have prolly the worst passing attack in the league and the line is not good plus he's been hurt.  There are not many people who will say that mack is better or more talented than Leonard Fournette 

Maybe. I’m not saying Mack is either. I’m simply saying given the stats he’s not produced like he was expected too being a top 4 draft pick. And considering his health, him being over weight, his attitude, he literally screams Trent Richardson 2.0. Mack’s earned his spot. We don’t need Fournette, now if you wanna talk Levon Bell, I’m way more inclined on that one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

From what I've seen over the CBA there is offsetting language that is put in. Unless a team doesnt they are able to use it as a base. Specifically I think they are trying to see if there is a way this type of suspension for on field things doesnt count would be my guess

I agree. I also think it’s a sneaky, snarky way for them to free up cap space. They’re over 15,000,000 over the cap. Cutting him without a cap hit would be HUGE for them

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Maybe. I’m not saying Mack is either. I’m simply saying given the stats he’s not produced like he was expected too being a top 4 draft pick. And considering his health, him being over weight, his attitude, he literally screams Trent Richardson 2.0. Mack’s earned his spot. We don’t need Fournette, now if you wanna talk Levon Bell, I’m way more inclined on that one

I say last year he produced pretty dang well for being the only player on offense worth anything yeah his YPC isnt good but neither is the line and the opposing Ds sure as hell aren't going to fear Bortles

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

PLEASE tell me this is sarcasm haha

Especially coming from you and your outlook on RB's...

Someone hacked your account, that's it....

I'm saying the #4 pick in the draft is nothing more than a change of pace back.....a backhanded compliment.

i would take him on a cheap deal.....he would obviously get limited carries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm saying the #4 pick in the draft is nothing more than a change of pace back.....a backhanded compliment.

i would take him on a cheap deal.....he would obviously get limited carries.

I wouldn't want him if he offered to play for free. He was so overrated in college, never played big in big games, and his vision for a RB is awful. It was only fitting for Jax to draft him and have that bomb go off 2 years later.

My .02 on this is think about a young gifted athlete that is given more money than a person would make in twenty lifetimes and some of it is guaranteed. If that is not enough to be forever thankful for then what is? It is ironic as before I got on this forum I was reading about the top 20 draft busts in the NFL. It fits right in. Current NFL rosters unfortunately, contain too many personalities and not enough players. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

The Jaguars had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL this season. That’s the reason for Fournette’s fall back season. Maybe you’re the one who needs to look stuff up before you reply. 

As far as age goes, Marlon Mack is younger than Leonard Forunette only by a year and 3 months. That’s not a lot.  

7 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

The Jaguars had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL this season. That’s the reason for Fournette’s fall back season. Maybe you’re the one who needs to look stuff up before you reply. 

As far as age goes, Marlon Mack is younger than Leonard Forunette only by a year and 3 months. That’s not a lot.  

Fournette wasn't that good last season. He was just a over drafted hyped up draft pick.

5 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

They had one of the better lines last year and he still couldn't average 4ypc. He was overrated and overdrafted. Nobody is going to be excited about a Trent Richardson clone with a * poor reputation.

36 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Look at last season too... he wasn’t that good either and was in trouble for being over weight a lot. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, I'm really curious how this plays out. The Colts tried to void Trent Richardson's last year guaranteed year on the basis that he was suspended at the end of the 2014 season; Richardson filed a grievance, and the two sides settled. 

Now that was a team suspension; Fournette's was a league suspension. But unless his contract is explicit about this, his agents will make a big deal about this, and I'm interested in what happens.

By the way, Fournette would be subject to waivers, if he's cut by the Jags. And they have a real culture problem down there, so it's not an outrageous proposition, especially with Coughlin running the show.

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Look at last season too... he wasn’t that good either and was in trouble for being over weight a lot. 

I’m not saying I want him, but he’s POTENTIALLY better than Mack.  If he had the right attitude and was on a team where he wasn’t the focal point, he could be a devastating weapon.  He’s the type of RB that we’re missing IMHO.  

In in the other forum we talked about the culture of closeness on this team.  The last thing we want is someone that would be counterproductive.   

But, I think we can agree, that if Ballard does sign him, he’ll be well vetted.

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I'm really curious how this plays out. The Colts tried to void Trent Richardson's last year guaranteed year on the basis that he was suspended at the end of the 2014 season; Richardson filed a grievance, and the two sides settled. 

Now that was a team suspension; Fournette's was a league suspension. But unless his contract is explicit about this, his agents will make a big deal about this, and I'm interested in what happens.

By the way, Fournette would be subject to waivers, if he's cut by the Jags. And they have a real culture problem down there, so it's not an outrageous proposition, especially with Coughlin running the show.

Yeah it’s gonna be interesting. I can see the league not wanting this being used in future ways to cut draft busts. 

6 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

This move affects his $7.1 million dollar salary he is set to make in the next two years. If the guarantees are void, the Jaguars  can cut the 23 year old running back without repercussions. 

Do You think Ballard should sign him if he’s cut? Everyone wants Bell and rightfully so. Fournette doesn’t have the resume that Bell has, but he’s younger and Ballard can sign him to a prove it deal and make him earn a new contract. Health is a concern with him though. 

He seems a bit fragile.

44 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m not saying I want him, but he’s POTENTIALLY better than Mack.  If he had the right attitude and was on a team where he wasn’t the focal point, he could be a devastating weapon.  He’s the type of RB that we’re missing IMHO.  

In in the other forum we talked about the culture of closeness on this team.  The last thing we want is someone that would be counterproductive.   

Ok. Not saying you’re wrong. 

But and this is a big but. How does a player, Fournette, who is ranked 4th from the worst at his position, shows up over weight and doesn’t want to do conditioning on his own, routinely hurt, has a rep coming out of college of having carry vision and severe health concerns, plus is a hot head with a prima Donna complex have more “potential” than a guy 2 years younger than him, that has improved greatly from his rookie season and is ranked 30 spots HIGHER?!? 

Now like Ike I said above, if you wanna talk about bringing in Bell, I’d be good with that. but Fournette has bust written and tattooed all over him. TRich Style

42 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The fact that he did what he did last year as the only threat on offense is impressive him with a true passing attack would be awesome he so damn powerful 

45 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The fact that he did what he did last year as the only threat on offense is impressive him with a true passing attack would be awesome he so damn powerful 

He wasn't the only threat last year. They had plenty of weapons on that offense, and still do, and Bortles wasn't anywhere near as bad as this year. They had a decent OL and Fournette still couldn't get past 4ypc. Way too many characteristics that line up to Trent Richardson.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He wasn't the only threat last year. They had plenty of weapons on that offense, and still do, and Bortles wasn't anywhere near as bad as this year. They had a decent OL and Fournette still couldn't get past 4ypc. Way too many characteristics that line up to Trent Richardson.

Really who? Lol and the only reason bortles was competent last year was cause all the opponents were only focusing on the running game

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ok. Not saying you’re wrong. 

But and this is a big but. How does a player, Fournette, who is ranked 4th from the worst at his position, shows up over weight and doesn’t want to do conditioning on his own, routinely hurt, has a rep coming out of college of having carry vision and severe health concerns, plus is a hot head with a prima Donna complex have more “potential” than a guy 2 years younger than him, that has improved greatly from his rookie season and is ranked 30 spots HIGHER?!? 

Now like Ike I said above, if you wanna talk about bringing in Bell, I’d be good with that. but Fournette has bust written and tattooed all over him. TRich Style

I said potential because of the way he played in college against top competition.  True about everything you said, and he may turn out to be Eddie Lacy.  But he is young and there’s time to turn his career around.  

I don’t think you can compare he and Mack since they play different roles.  You wouldn’t compare say Phillip Lindsay’s average per carry with Zekes and say he’s the better back, right?

Anyway, I’m not advocating him but if Ballard looks at him you know he’d vet everything about him.   I just want to see a power back on the team, someone who can break an initial tackle.  

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Really who? Lol and the only reason bortles was competent last year was cause all the opponents were only focusing on the running game

Hurns, Lee, Robinson, Lewis, Westbrook and a decent OL. Yeldon had a small sample size running but he averaged over 5ypc. Fournette is not a good RB and in no way would I want him here. The guy never showed up in big games in college and I always laughed when they tried to compare him to Gurley and Zeke.

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I said potential because of the way he played in college against top competition.  True about everything you said, and he may turn out to be Eddie Lacy.  But he is young and there’s time to turn his career around.  

I don’t think you can compare he and Mack since they play different roles.  You wouldn’t compare say Phillip Lindsay’s average per carry with Zekes and say he’s the better back, right?

Anyway, I’m not advocating him but if Ballard looks at him you know he’d vet everything about him.   I just want to see a power back on the team, someone who can break an initial tackle.  

You can't teach vision and it's something he still lacks majorly. I'm more interested in the potential we have with Wilkins over Fournette.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Hurns, Lee, Robinson, Lewis, Westbrook and a decent OL. Yeldon had a small sample size running but he averaged over 5ypc. Fournette is not a good RB and in no way would I want him here. The guy never showed up in big games in college and I always laughed when they tried to compare him to Gurley and Zeke.

Whatever you say lol

No, do not want.  Fournette is supremely overrated.  His YPC is pretty low.  

I could maybe get behind Yeldon but not very strongly.  Especially after the way I heard he was acting on the sidelines.  

There are a lot of other guys out there who could improve our RB group.   And while I think an improvement would be helpful I'm not too bothered by the prospect of going into next season with the guys we already have on the roster. 

To me, it still irks me that there are more negative things said about the team by management than I have seen from other management around the league. It almost borders "Jerry Jones" like behavior, from Coughlin. I can see coaches say a few things about players, when asked directly but management doing the talking for coaches, not a good sign. It is like Coughlin is so eager to throw a few players under the bus but rarely do I hear enough players being praised for their work ethic or performance, regardless of record. 

It almost seems like the coaching staff and management are "out of touch" with how to get through to the players, that is the constant feeling I get. I may be wrong but as an outside observer, that is how things seem to me. 

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It almost seems like the coaching staff and management are "out of touch" with how to get through to the players, that is the constant feeling I get. I may be wrong but as an outside observer, that is how things seem to me. 

That's the feeling people around the league got about the Giants more than a decade ago. I can imagine that Coughlin is even more out of touch now than he was then.

Doesn't mean he's wrong, and I'm not particularly bothered by his comments (without having followed them very closely) or his approach, but I could easily see him being an overbearing taskmaster. He's always been a grump, I doubt he's softened.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's the feeling people around the league got about the Giants more than a decade ago. I can imagine that Coughlin is even more out of touch now than he was then.

Doesn't mean he's wrong, and I'm not particularly bothered by his comments (without having followed them very closely) or his approach, but I could easily see him being an overbearing taskmaster. He's always been a grump, I doubt he's softened.

It is probably magnified by the fact that he is not on the coaching sidelines this time around to arrive at any kind of middle ground with the players. When he did so with the Giants, upon the recommendations of some senior players like Strahan, it ended up helping the team long term. Now, he probably communicates mostly via Marrone, and things are always lost in translation. 

• Like 1

I would definitely take him on a one year prove it deal and he gets 2 shots this year at his old team to shine. He has speed and size and I’d take him for the one year.  Both him and Mack on the field at the same time would bring confusion to the defenses as both can catch and both can run the rock.