Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Run Defense today

Matabix

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Run defense was good from start to finish. Barkley had a couple nice gains, but nothing more than 6 yards, and he averaged less than 2 yards/carry. Engram's end arounds and Gallman's one 8 yarder were their best plays on the ground. 

The pass defense was a different story. Ugly for most of the game, little pass rush, and poor tackling after the catch. But they tightened up late in the game and did just enough, then capitalized on Eli's bad throw to end the game.

They did a good job of staying tough and finishing, despite all the injuries. Great win.

Very fair (and accurate) summation.

After today, I think everyone realizes how important Walker has become.  Also, Geathers did not look like himself during the Colts' 1-5 stretch.  These past 8-9 games, Geathers has been an absolute force in the secondary (including being a physical, sure tackler).

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Run defense was good from start to finish. Barkley had a couple nice gains, but nothing more than 6 yards, and he averaged less than 2 yards/carry. Engram's end arounds and Gallman's one 8 yarder were their best plays on the ground. 

The pass defense was a different story. Ugly for most of the game, little pass rush, and poor tackling after the catch. But they tightened up late in the game and did just enough, then capitalized on Eli's bad throw to end the game.

They did a good job of staying tough and finishing, despite all the injuries. Great win.

For all that has been made about how simple the D is, and that's why we can play so fast, the secondary looked flat out confused at times out there. Add in little to no pressure and Eli is too wiley to not dissect soft zone coverage. 

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Very fair (and accurate) summation.

After today, I think everyone realizes how important Walker has become.  Also, Geathers did not look like himself during the Colts' 1-5 stretch.  These past 8-9 games, Geathers has been an absolute force in the secondary (including being a physical, sure tackler).

Yeah, Walker has been playing really well, and Geathers has been good lately. The replacements did okay against inside runs, but they seemed to get crossed up a lot on the misdirection plays, and they didn't do a great job tackling. 

The secondary was the big problem against the pass, IMO. Desir bit on that double move, which is a cardinal sin for an outside corner when you're in Cover 3 (which I believe we were). And they couldn't find the ball on some close throws throughout the game. Hooker finally found one at the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

For all that has been made about how simple the D is, and that's why we can play so fast, the secondary looked flat out confused at times out there. Add in little to no pressure and Eli is too wiley to not dissect soft zone coverage. 

Yup, not enough pressure and a QB who is good in the pocket, plus even the tiniest mistake in coverage, and you'll get sliced up. Eli averaged almost 10/attempt today, didn't get sacked, and hit some big plays downfield, which we normally don't allow.

Credit to Shurmur also, he called a good game. They knew what we struggle with and exploited it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, Walker has been playing really well, and Geathers has been good lately. The replacements did okay against inside runs, but they seemed to get crossed up a lot on the misdirection plays, and they didn't do a great job tackling. 

The secondary was the big problem against the pass, IMO. Desir bit on that double move, which is a cardinal sin for an outside corner when you're in Cover 3 (which I believe we were). And they couldn't find the ball on some close throws throughout the game. Hooker finally found one at the end.

Pretty much all the huge plays we've given up this season are when we switch to man coverage/cover 3. We don't have the talent to cover with little to no help on the outside. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Pretty much all the huge plays we've given up this season are when we switch to man coverage/cover 3. We don't have the talent to cover with little to no help on the outside. 

Yup. Desir lost discipline on the big one, Eli navigated the pocket while also manipulating Hooker, and we were cooked. Desir has been pretty good on the boundary lately, but he messed that one up.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup. Desir lost discipline on the big one, Eli navigated the pocket while also manipulating Hooker, and we were cooked. Desir has been pretty good on the boundary lately, but he messed that one up.

Cerebral type of QBs absolutely pick us apart right now. Eli is not in his best form, but he's still a smart QB with tons of experience who knows how to read coverages and blitzes and where his outlets are. Right now we have more success against mobile QBs who seem to rely more on their mobility and are less polished in the pocket(Mariota, Dak)... we seem good at containing their movement and making them eat sacks when we crush the pocket around them. 

I still think the success of our defense in the second half of the season is big part favorable matchup and overall weak offenses. I read some stat that every single opponent has been in the bottom half of the offensive DVOA since our hot streak started. I hope we don't delude ourselves in the off-season and think we are good on D. This defense still needs A LOT of reinforcements. Especially in the secondary and in the passrush.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Cerebral type of QBs absolutely pick us apart right now. Eli is not in his best form, but he's still a smart QB with tons of experience who knows how to read coverages and blitzes and where his outlets are. Right now we have more success against mobile QBs who seem to rely more on their mobility and are less polished in the pocket(Mariota, Dak)... we seem good at containing their movement and making them eat sacks when we crush the pocket around them. 

I still think the success of our defense in the second half of the season is big part favorable matchup and overall weak offenses. I read some stat that every single opponent has been in the bottom half of the offensive DVOA since our hot streak started. I hope we don't delude ourselves in the off-season and think we are good on D. This defense still needs A LOT of reinforcements. Especially in the secondary and in the passrush.

Agreed.

I didn't realize Houston and Dallas were bottom half DVOA, but we faced both teams when they were playing well on offense. Even NYG, before they got shut out last week, that offense was humming. 

But yes, I've been saying for a while that the defense is playing better, but still hasn't faced a really good offense. And we have enough rough showings -- like today -- that confirm how questionable the defense continues to be, especially against the pass.

I'm personally having trouble figuring out how best to improve the defense in the offseason. I mean, we could improve almost everywhere, but I'm not sure where the most impact would be felt, and whether we can really address those positions this offseason. I always want better pass rush, but I also kind of like the young guys. Wouldn't stop me from signing Demarcus Lawrence or Trey Flowers.

Definitely need better corners and a reliable strong safety. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed.

I didn't realize Houston and Dallas were bottom half DVOA, but we faced both teams when they were playing well on offense. Even NYG, before they got shut out last week, that offense was humming. 

But yes, I've been saying for a while that the defense is playing better, but still hasn't faced a really good offense. And we have enough rough showings -- like today -- that confirm how questionable the defense continues to be, especially against the pass.

I'm personally having trouble figuring out how best to improve the defense in the offseason. I mean, we could improve almost everywhere, but I'm not sure where the most impact would be felt, and whether we can really address those positions this offseason. I always want better pass rush, but I also kind of like the young guys. Wouldn't stop me from signing Demarcus Lawrence or Trey Flowers.

Here:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

17. NYG

19. MIA

20. OAK

21. HOU

24. TEN

26. DAL

29. JAX

31. BUF

Hell even before the hot streak the highest ranked offenses we've faced were the Pats(6th) and PHI (16th). We've faced only one above average offense the entire year. WOW! 

On the potential signings - yes I would definitely pursue both Lawrence and Flowers. I'm a bit weird and even though I still am high on Hooker... I might throw some money at Earl Thomas. He's a game changer and he can be a mentor for Hooker for several years... Thomas is the only safety I would be willing to spend big money on. I'm not sure how the corner market will be. I haven't looked at potential fits. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed.

Lawrence would be ridiculous but I just don't see how the Colts could land him.  I also like Mark Ingram.  

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Lawrence would be ridiculous but I just don't see how the Colts could land him.  I also like Mark Ingram.  

The Cowboys probably don't let Lawrence walk, but if they do, the Colts should have as good a shot as anyone at signing him. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Would you give him Mack/Donald money if you had to in order to get him? 

I might be okay with the numbers, but not the contract structure. Those guys basically got four years guaranteed, and I wouldn't do that, especially for an outside free agent. But I could probably find a way to be okay with five years, $100-110m, with $50m guaranteed.

Lawrence has been really good two years in a row, not just getting sacks, but getting pressure at a really high rate, and he's strong against the run. Makes it unlikely Dallas lets him go. But, they're getting ready to pay Dak, so maybe they decide to sacrifice Lawrence. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

On the potential signings - yes I would definitely pursue both Lawrence and Flowers. I'm a bit weird and even though I still am high on Hooker... I might throw some money at Earl Thomas. He's a game changer and he can be a mentor for Hooker for several years... Thomas is the only safety I would be willing to spend big money on. I'm not sure how the corner market will be. I haven't looked at potential fits. 

No to Landon Collins? I see him as a better Clayton Geathers, but not sure if I'd invest too heavily in him, especially with his injury.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

No to Landon Collins? I see him as a better Clayton Geathers, but not sure if I'd invest too heavily in him, especially with his injury.

I forgot he was FA... I'm not sure how much I would spend on him and how much he would require. I like him but I'm not sure he will be worth what he would command in FA. 

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

17. NYG

19. MIA

20. OAK

21. HOU

24. TEN

26. DAL

29. JAX

31. BUF

Hell even before the hot streak the highest ranked offenses we've faced were the Pats(6th) and PHI (16th). We've faced only one above average offense the entire year. WOW! 

Taking this competition into account, Football Outsiders (before today)  ranked the Colt's defense #4 in rush defense and #17 in pass defense, and #11 overall defense.

So, their bottom line regarding the Colt's defense is still pretty positive.

Just now, egg said:

Taking this competition into account, Football Outsiders (before today)  ranked the Colt's defense #4 in rush defense and #17 in pass defense, and #11 overall defense.

So, their bottom line regarding the Colt's defense is still pretty positive.

The defensive performance has definitely been a positive this year. Don't take my previous post here as a criticism of our defense. There is a huge improvement compared to previous years and the defense has been good considering the personnel we have. I'm just trying to give context and warn against complacency in supplementing the defense in the off-season. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

The defensive performance has definitely been a positive this year. Don't take my previous post here as a criticism of our defense. There is a huge improvement compared to previous years and the defense has been good considering the personnel we have. I'm just trying to give context and warn against complacency in supplementing the defense in the off-season. 

O K. I will pass your warning on to Chris, soon, very soon.

Margus Hunt held up big time inside. So did Autry really.

No disrespect intended, he plays hard and is effective, did we miss Woods? 

With Adams and Franklin in there, plus a couple newbies in the secondary it looked like the Giants gameplan was A LOT of misdirection plays which turned into several chunk plays.  

Without Walker and Geathers out there it looked like there was quite a bit of confusion.

Kinda like when the oline is missing Kelly......

Eli is still a two-time Champ that can throw a pretty ball so I'm not too worried about the stats.

Having said that, they certainly did bottle up Saquan Barkley though.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

With Adams and Franklin in there, plus a couple newbies in the secondary it looked like the Giants gameplan was A LOT of misdirection plays which turned into several chunk plays.  

Without Walker and Geathers out there it looked like there was quite a bit of confusion.

Kinda like when the oline is missing Kelly......

Eli is still a two-time Champ that can throw a pretty ball so I'm not too worried about the stats.

Having said that, they certainly did bottle up Saquan Barkley though.....

good post...I agree Eli can still hurt you. He can still make all the throws. He's a seen a lot and been in a lot of big games. I think a lot of the blown assignments are missing Walker and Geathers...Hopefully, they can play next week it will be huge to have them on defense.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Superman said:

I think you are closer than you think

Offseason

1) We need at least one pass rusher with speed. We get picked apart by great QBs,

2) We need a consistent, NON often injured, playmaking SS

3) We need an additional UT/NT in rotation that penetrate into backfield 

4) We need the CBs to keep developing. They arent bad, and they are getting better. We could add one

We could fill step one with  Flowers from NE (Or possibly Polite from draft)

We could fill step two with Collins or Reid, 

We could fill step 3 with draft and signing our own FAs

We could fill step 4 in draft 

We can enjoy the team today..... with an eye on improvement for next year

Our defense is feeling the effects of Chris churning the roster from aging players to “good” players with aforementioned football IQ and locker room presence.

With great coaching this can win games but when an offense with great players have a great game... that gap is higher than our good players having a great game. Our floor is a little lower than our ceiling is high at the moment imo. We have arguably one “Great” player on defense right now, we just need a couple more. I still love the effort of these guys.