Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ebron/L

Mr.Debonair

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Me argue?  I just defend against posts that seem to swoop in from nowhere.

It's not really "swooping in from nowhere" when you keep getting the same responses to the same kinds of posts you make over and over.

You honestly don't expect the reactions you keep getting when you throw out back-handed compliments about Ballard-via-Ebron into numerous threads?

I know you're not that clueless... c'mon man, you know exactly what you're doing and exactly what response you're going to get...

tenor.gif?itemid=3835277

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

If so, Ballard is the one converting him?     

I figured that would be the job of Reich and others.

Wow, Ballard is such a genius he can convert a player too.

But wouldn't that be meddling in the HCs decisions?

I figured that Ebron has the same level of talent he always had, talent that was misused in Detroit. 

I suppose some figure that as soon as Ballard bestowed a contract to him, Ballard's approval now created more talent out of thin air. 

Not only is he a GM, he's a meddling coach, and if needed, can be Gawd too.  LOL.

There is that saltiness still mad about old griggles I see lmao

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Dude.  Watch the highlights.  He ran uncontested until he got into the endzone then was taller than every other defender and made the catch.  I mean, is that really very special?  

I assume there was a reason he ran straight ahead uncontested for 15 yards.  Do you think that was a special talent?

Do you understand football?

His height and speed IS exactly what makes him special.

YES, he is special.  He is a matchup nightmare.  THAT is what winning football is about , last i checked.  Taking advantage of favorable matchups.  In fact, I'm not sure we have a better matchup challenge for defenses than Ebron.

11 TDs in 11 games is certainly no fluke, he's a stud..: period.  Stevie Wonder could see that.

We get it, you dont like him for whatever reason.  But, if you truly pay attention to others, you are possibly the only one here who feels that way.

Repeating yourself does not make you right.

And that catch was HIGHLY contested with a guy draped all over him.  He's the best on our team at blocking out defenders and making contested catches, imo.  The dude has skills.... size, good speed for size, an ability to win contested catches, arguably  our best red-zone threat , and a great attitude that other players obviously react to.

Yes, i watch the games, usually at least 3 times each.  Perhaps you should watch them closer.... "dude."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's not really "swooping in from nowhere" when you keep getting the same responses to the same kinds of posts you make over and over.

You honestly don't expect the reactions you keep getting when you throw out back-handed compliments about Ballard-via-Ebron into numerous threads?

I know you're not that clueless... c'mon man, you know exactly what you're doing and exactly what response you're going to get...

tenor.gif?itemid=3835277

Speaking of clueless, ^ y'all would know I guess.

I think this particular thread, JackVan1973 mentioned me out of nowhere. 

The other thread is talking about the need for another receiver, so I mentioned Ebron.  OTOH, if it was mentioning the need for a another TE, Ebron wouldn't be relevant.

What other non Ebron, non Receiver thread have I mentioned Ebron in any significant way?

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Do you understand football?

His height and speed IS exactly what makes him special.

YES, he is special.  He is a matchup nightmare.  THAT is what winning football is about , last i checked.  Taking advantage of favorable matchups.  In fact, I'm not sure we have a better matchup challenge for defenses than Ebron.

11 TDs in 11 games is certainly no fluke, he's a stud..: period.  Stevie Wonder could see that.

We get it, you dont like him for whatever reason.  But, if you truly pay attention to others, you are possibly the only one here who feels that way.

Repeating yourself does not make you right.

Sure. I said that a while back a few weeks ago.  He is a match up problem for LBs and in the box safeties.  Not sure about an actual cornerback with some length.

There was a thread about him being a TE and I thought of him as a tall fast receiver.  A lot of teams who use that kind of player from the TE position don't seem to have much trouble finding them.  Not every offense is looking for one.

I'm not sure how Detroit used him, or if they were very competent in how they tried.

14 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

There is that saltiness still mad about old griggles I see lmao

Not at all.  I was just wondering if the GM was getting down converting a TE to a WR if he would be accused of meddling with the coaching staff. 

Its simply an accusation that's been thrown around on this forum in the past, one that I never started.  Its not anger.  It was an observation that seemed a bit inconsistent in terms of criticism or praise thrown towards the GM.  The inconsistency was confusing so I asked the question.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Sure. I said that a while back a few weeks ago.  He is a match up problem for LBs and in the box safeties.  Not sure about an actual cornerback with some length.

There was a thread about him being a TE and I thought of him as a tall fast receiver.  A lot of teams who use that kind of player from the TE position don't seem to have much trouble finding them.  Not every offense is looking for one.

I'm not sure how Detroit used him, or if they were very competent in how they tried.

Hey, i dont find it fun to argue with a fellow Colts fan, but you greatly underestimate his value, imo.  And the fact he can be utilized at TE AND WR is yet another advantage he brings, ESPECIALLY in THIS offense.  Its not easy to find a TE that can do what he does.  Not so easy to find WRs to get 11 TDs in 11 games either.  I looked and i dont think thrte are even 6 in the league,.

I believe he would have been an excellent pick-up if he only had half the TDs he currently does.

I respect your opinion, i just cant see your logic.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think this particular thread, JackVan1973 mentioned me out of nowhere. 

The other thread is talking about the need for another receiver, so I mentioned Ebron.  OTOH, if it was mentioning the need for a another TE, Ebron wouldn't be relevant.

What other non Ebron, non Receiver thread have I mentioned Ebron in any significant way?

Again, you know exactly what you're doing and what kind of response you're going to get, so don't try to play the victim-card just because you're running out of hollow arguments for why Ballard/Ebron isn't as great as we all think he is.

You're like the jealous kid that doesn't like the other kids playing with the blocks, so you come over and try to knock down whatever they're building.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not at all.  I was just wondering if the GM was getting down converting a TE to a WR if he would be accused of meddling with the coaching staff. 

Its simply an accusation that's been thrown around on this forum in the past, one that I never started.  Its not anger.  It was an observation that seemed a bit inconsistent in terms of criticism or praise thrown towards the GM.  The inconsistency was confusing so I asked the question.

I dont think its meddling if the GM and coach communicate well.

And if Ballard did it on his own  (which i highly doubt), and Reich disagrees, then Reich doesn't understand talent (which he does).

Ballard has never acted "Griggsish" and seems to have excellent communication and respect for the coaches and their jobs.

If anything, i believe it was Reich that saw the flexibility and unique talents Ebron possesses.  He was drafted high for a very tangible reason.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Again, you know exactly what you're doing and what kind of response you're going to get, so don't try to play the victim-card just because you're running out of hollow arguments for why Ballard/Ebron isn't as great as we all think he is.

You're like the jealous kid that doesn't like the other kids playing with the blocks, so you come over and try to knock down whatever they're building.

tenor.gif

You went straight for the jugular.  I tried a softer approach but sheesh the guy likes to keep shooting in the dark.  I guess if you keep flinging crap, a chunk is bound to stick somewhere.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DougDew said:

But others would be better than they are if they went against a LB or an in the box Safety.  Not sure how much he does that, but I assume that's why they call him a TE.

Lol so other teams believe he is TE, since they are putting LB’s and safety’s on him? I mean, they could put a corner in him if they wanted, no?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Lol so other teams believe he is TE, since they are putting LB’s and safety’s on him? I mean, they could put a corner in him if they wanted, no?

I think that's the case with every team that has a receiver at TE.  They are all considered mismatches.  I'm not sure why defenses don't have 3 starting CBs when they go up against a team with one.  Its a puzzlement for sure.

Just speculating, I assume its a limit of the 53 man roster and you can't have enough defenders for every type of offensive player.  That's why its a mismatch because Ds don't have enough of the players they need to defend against our offense and then a power offense like Baltimore or the Steelers, who have never had a "receiver" as TE type, IIRC.

IMO, NFL teams should have more tall CBs instead of plugging LBs, but I'm not a GM.  When they do, maybe guys like Ebron will be more effectively countered.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think that's the case with every team that has a receiver at TE.  They are all considered mismatches.  I'm not sure why defenses don't have 3 starting CBs when they go up against a team with one.  Its a puzzlement for sure.

Just speculating, I assume its a limit of the 53 man roster and you can't have enough defenders for every type of offensive player.  That's why its a mismatch because Ds don't have enough of the players they need to defend against our offense and then a power offense like Baltimore or the Steelers, who have never had a "receiver" as TE type, IIRC.

IMO, NFL teams should have more tall CBs instead of plugging LBs, but I'm not a GM.  When they do, maybe guys like Ebron will be more effectively countered.

It’s called a Nickel defense. Every team runs it as a sub package, usually during passing downs. 

And Ebron is a TE not a WR, just like how Hewitt is a TE and not an O lineman

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

It’s called a Nickel defense. Every team runs it as a sub package, usually during passing downs. 

Do they put a CB on the tall fast guy lining up as TE when playing nickel, or are they putting that CB on a slot WR?  If a team has 3 WRs and only one TE, the receiver, the D will run out of good CBs most likely, and there's the mismatch.  If they had fewer LBs and more CBs on the roster, they'd stand a better chance.

Except for next week when they might play the Steelers.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Ebron is not our number one TE.   Doyle is.    Ebron was brought in to be our number two TE.   And he’s been great in that roll.   But he’s not our number one.

That’s why you got/get flak.

Ebron IS OUR #1 (Best) TE regardless of what Depth chart may say.

For someone who scours the internet as much as you do on football websites to get "other" people's opinions when posting here YOU SHOULD have come across a site by now that says Ebron is our Best TE and having a monster season. 

Keep searching buddy. Lol

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ebron IS OUR #1 (Best) TE regardless of what Depth chart may say.

For someone who scours the internet as much as you do on football websites to get "other" people's opinions when posting here YOU SHOULD have come across a site by now that says Ebron is our Best TE and having a monster season. 

Keep searching buddy. Lol

Theres a difference in being the best and being the number one.    He doesn’t even play the position as Doyle does.    Doesn’t block as Doyle does.   He has different responsibilities.

Just the way the left tackle and right tackle or strong safety and free safety are different,  it’s the same with the true tight end and the player who is really primarily a receiver.

If you knew football half as good as you think you do you wouldn’t make so many gaffes like this...

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Theres a difference in being the best and being the number one.    He doesn’t even play the position as Doyle does.    Doesn’t block as Doyle does.   He has different responsibilities.

Just the way the left tackle and right tackle or strong safety and free safety are different,  it’s the same with the true tight end and the player who is really primarily a receiver.

If you knew football half as good as you think you do you wouldn’t make so many gaffes like this...

It doesn't matter the responsibility,  Ebron is a tight end.   Tight ends have different responsibilities as  well. 

If you knew football half as good as you think you wouldn't make so many gaffes like this. 

There is no "number one TE" They are both tight ends and have different jobs.   Much like Mack and Hines.   Stop trying to be a know it all

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It doesn't matter the responsibility,  Ebron is a tight end.   Tight ends have different responsibilities as  well. 

If you knew football half as good as you think you wouldn't make so many gaffes like this. 

There is no "number one TE" They are both tight ends and have different jobs.   Much like Mack and Hines.   Stop trying to be a know it all

Seriously?

You wrote this?    You?

You’re a funny guy!   Not always deliberately, like this post...   but funny just the same.

Thanks for providing the comic relief!

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In my mind NO. To me the #1 TE is the Best TE. Doyle may be in to block more and gp out for short passes but Ebron is the Top TE, a Difference maker. 

For example, if the colts line up TY in the slot instead of the customary outside does that make Grant or Rogers our #1(best) receiver? ....NO! 

TY is our best(#1) receiver no matter where he lines up or for how many snaps.

Example 2: Let's say a  man has a Ferrari AND a Kia SUV. He uses the Kia much more for like grocery shopping, taking kids to school and soccer practice, everyday stuff. The Ferrari is his Sunday drive car and sport around and show off car. Which car would you think he says is his #1 car? ..... The Ferrari of course. Just think as Doyle as a SUV that does the chores while Ebron is a finely tuned performance car. haha

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Great post.

Man, why is every thread about Colts TEs getting so TEsTE?  (That's a low-hanging fruit joke)

But seriously, the TEs are supposed to be our strength now.  Frank Reichs bread-n-butter.  There should be more kumbaya in these threads, but we're arguing over semantics.

It's like we're frustrated with a new toy we don't know how to play with yet.

@DougDew

Listen, I understand you want to double down and stand by your opinion.  Some see this as an admirable trait, and in some cases it can be. But in this case it is not. In this case you are so afraid of admitting you may have been a little harsh, or may have let biases cloud your judgment, or whatever, that you're arguing against literally every one else who has weighed in on this topic. Your opinion is wrong on about every possible level. It is subjectively, factually, and logically inconsistent with reality and your own statements. 

I already destroyed you argument in another thread and you ignored me, so I won't bother rehashing the entire post, but a brief look at the absurdity should demonstrate my point.

Logically inconsistent.

You claim...

A. Ebron is not that good and is benefiting from scheme.

B. Ballard doesn't get credit for a great signing.

If Ebron is benefiting purely from scheme/system, he must be a perfect fit because he is doing what is being asked to do (catch TDs) better than anyone else in this league. If this is the case, it was an amazing signing because CB found a perfect player for our system.  These two points are directly at odds with each other.

B. Subjectively inconsistent (with reality)

This one is hard, because it is subjective. Yet some subjective analysis is better than others. I can say the Rams suck, and you could say "that is not consistent with them having the best record in football." And you would be right.  My subjective opinion was not consistent with reality.

Similarly when you say, Ebron is not that good," I can say that he catches more or the same amount of TDs as any stud WR or TE in this league. Catching passes and running routes is a crucial aspect of being a modern TE. They all do it, and it is fair to compare the results of these endeavours between them. 

Factually inconsistent (with reality)

You claim..

"Ebron is WR not a TE"

Ebron lines up just outside the offensive tackle. He is a tight end on the depth chart. This is a fact and not up for discussion.  To make matters more clear, all tight ends in the modern NFL are expected to be able to be a receiving threat. 

I could go more in depth and dismantle all of your nonsensical points, but I am getting sick of typing and you have shown you hold your opinion out of sheer stubbornness, and not from a point of reason and logic, so it won't do any good anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

In my mind NO. To me the #1 TE is the Best TE. Doyle may be in to block more and gp out for short passes but Ebron is the Top TE, a Difference maker. 

For example, if the colts line up TY in the slot instead of the customary outside does that make Grant or Rogers our #1(best) receiver? ....NO! 

TY is our best(#1) receiver no matter where he lines up or for how many snaps.

Example 2: Let's say a  man has a Ferrari AND a Kia SUV. He uses the Kia much more for like grocery shopping, taking kids to school and soccer practice, everyday stuff. The Ferrari is his Sunday drive car and sport around and show off car. Which car would you think he says is his #1 car? ..... The Ferrari of course. Just think as Doyle as a SUV that does the chores while Ebron is a finely tuned performance car. haha

Seems to me in your example, the Kia is the "best", and #1.... kinda like Doyle.  More Versatile and flexible in more ways.

The ferrari sounds a bit like Swoope... more flashy, more "nimble", but more unreliable and less practicle.

(sorry Swoope.... i still like u tho)

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Seems to me in your example, the Kia is the "best", and #1.... kinda like Doyle.  More Versatile and flexible in more ways.

The ferrari sounds a bit like Swoope... more flashy, more "nimble", but more unreliable and less practicle.

(sorry Swoope.... i still like u tho)

They both have their value. But the Ferrari scores TD's while the Kia is more easily replaced(blocking).

I don't think we would be on a 5 game win streak without Ebron.

Also I think opposing DC's worry and gameplan more for Ebron than Doyle. No offense to Jack, we all like him but he's not a playmaker Touchdown maker.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

They both have their value. But the Ferrari scores TD's while the Kia is more easily replaced(blocking).

I don't think we would be on a 5 game win streak without Ebron.

Also I think opposing DC's worry and gameplan more for Ebron than Doyle. No offense to Jack, we all like him but he's not a playmaker Touchdown maker.

I'm not arguing your thinking.  I agree.  I REALLY like Ebron.

i guess i didnt see the analogy.  Haha

40 minutes ago, Savage56 said:

Man, I wish Ross Travis stayed healthy. I would love to see him and Luck play together for a full season.

I was wondering why he wasnt brought back (with the injuries), and I wondered if another team picked him up.  Then i sa has m on IR.  I forgot he was there.  Was surprised Farley was also on IR.  Im not sure how i missed/forgot that.

All I can say is I hope all of our tall fast guys - whatever we call them - continue to get schemed open and catch the ball (unlike some of the plays earlier this year from Chester Rogers).

That would be AMAZING!!!

For me - I watched a number of Detroit games over that last few years and was impressed with Ebron except for his case of  dropsies from time to time.  That fact that he has apparently improved in that area has nothing to do with being tall or fast.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Can we at least agree that anyone that has Ebron on their fantasy team did an amazing job acquiring him because he is having an amazing season in fantasy football?

LOL - I wouldn't know.  I don't pay any attention to fantasy football and how the stats work.

21 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Can we at least agree that anyone that has Ebron on their fantasy team did an amazing job acquiring him because he is having an amazing season in fantasy football?

I drafted him in both my leagues...just had a feeling and it proved to be right!

• Like 1