Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something someone said when we drafted luck.

Trace Pyott

I remember on here someone who I remember was a Stanford fan was saying and I’m paraphrasing this but he said basically Andrew luck would kind of bore you. He wasn’t anything flashy like rg3 was but he kind of just did his job and did it really well but it didn’t seem like he was doing as much or well as he was. I guess in two words, “sneaky good”.  I dunno what it is but I kind of feel the same way. Btw, this is not a knock on luck. He is my fav colt right now and if I was choosing a QB I would take him over anyone else playing right now. He’s almost like the Tim Duncan of football but better. I watch  luck every weekend and it just seems like he does his job, not really putting up any one game astronomical numbers and then you look at his end of the year stats and he’s putting up numbers that very few and by very few I mean like 5 players put up year after year. I mean look at all the guys who have thrown over 40 td in a season. He’s about to have done it twice if he keeps this year up. I think maybe 3 or 4 guys have done it multiple times.

Say what you want about the era but no one else is doing it except Maybe Rogers, Brady and Bree’s. Is it because luck is just really consistent and will throw 2 to 3 td a game every single game where someone else might throw 5 in one but only throw one the next?  Maybe I’m just so used to seeing Peyton look amazing that I’ve become spoiled and I think this is the norm now.  

Hopefully the guy who I’m originally quoting is still a member of this forum and remembers what he meant and can explain it better than I can. Anyways, do any of you guys feel the same way?  That he’s sneaky good? 

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I remember on here someone who I remember was a Stanford fan was saying and I’m paraphrasing this but he said basically Andrew luck would kind of bore you. He wasn’t anything flashy like rg3 was but he kind of just did his job and did it really well but it didn’t seem like he was doing as much or well as he was. I guess in two words, “sneaky good”.  I dunno what it is but I kind of feel the same way. Btw, this is not a knock on luck. He is my fav colt right now and if I was choosing a QB I would take him over anyone else playing right now. He’s almost like the Tim Duncan of football but better. I watch  luck every weekend and it just seems like he does his job, not really putting up any one game astronomical numbers and then you look at his end of the year stats and he’s putting up numbers that very few and by very few I mean like 5 players put up year after year. I mean look at all the guys who have thrown over 40 td in a season. He’s about to have done it twice if he keeps this year up. I think maybe 3 or 4 guys have done it multiple times.

Say what you want about the era but no one else is doing it except Maybe Rogers, Brady and Bree’s. Is it because luck is just really consistent and will throw 2 to 3 td a game every single game where someone else might throw 5 in one but only throw one the next?  Maybe I’m just so used to seeing Peyton look amazing that I’ve become spoiled and I think this is the norm now.  

Hopefully the guy who I’m originally quoting is still a member of this forum and remembers what he meant and can explain it better than I can. Anyways, do any of you guys feel the same way?  That he’s sneaky good? 

I faintly recall the bore you part. I don't know who said it but yeah.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I'll draft the QB who comes from a Pro-style offense every time, verses a QB with a Spread or Pistol option back ground.

Mahomes, Goff, Mayfield were spread QBs. Wentz, Rosen, Darnold, and josh Allen were all pro style QBs. I think the under-center component is very overrated when looking at QB prospects. I don’t think they transition to the NFL any better than spread QBs (it would be interesting to look at these statistics). Reading defenses, accuracy, and arm strength are all more important for a QB prospect imo. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. I guess he just makes it look easy kind of like how one of my fav baseball players growing up (Andruw Jones). He would catch balls in center field that he had no business catching but he didn’t have to dive or anything. He just got such a good jump on the ball and could judge its trajectory, that he would make it look boringly easy.  However when you saw guys diving all over the place you would think “wow that guy is great”. That being said , give me the guy who catches the same ball 99% of the time making it look easy and catching it normally over a guy who catches the ball 30% of the time diving and making it look exciting. 

We've all seen Luck make plays that have a degree of difficulty that reminds anyone that he's capable of using his athleticism to make something happen, it's just that under optimal conditions, he doesn't need to do that. 

Some guys need the bootleg, RPO, get out side of the pocket stuff, because that's how they play/succeed at the game. Luck doesn't need any of that to be effective. He's got the rudiments of the position down pat.

• Like 1

Boring? Lol, I think Luck is one of the most entertaining quarterbacks out there, tough, can pass deep, can run the ball and always gets right back up after being nailed over and over again (that was the past) 

He might have been boring to some in college as Stanford run a more traditional offense, not your usual 60+ points college one, but he is every bit of entertaining

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rayski said:

Boring? Lol, I think Luck is one of the most entertaining quarterbacks out there, tough, can pass deep, can run the ball and always gets right back up after being nailed over and over again (that was the past) 

He might have been boring to some in college as Stanford run a more traditional offense, not your usual 60+ points college one, but he is every bit of entertaining

Watching that NEVER gets old.

• Like 1

This win streak has been kinda boring, he’s been efficient and he hasn’t had to make the freak-athlete scramble plays d/t our Oline. But anyone paying attention in 2012-2015 knows Andrew makes things interesting.

I have so many favorites, but the winning TD on the last play of the last drive versus Detroit w/ seconds left comes to mind...

12 hours ago, MPStack said:

I'll draft the QB who comes from a Pro-style offense every time, verses a QB with a Spread or Pistol option back ground.

The play ground athlete QBs, only last so long, before they're well schemed against.

If a QB's best asset is his wheels, he shouldn't be playing QB in the NFL.

Luck is just about everything you want in an NFL QB.

Really interesting. What are your thoughts on Mahomes? He came from a spread offense I believe. I noticed during the LAR game that his first read was almost always wide open. They argually scheme guys open better than we do. I wonder if Mahomes will fall back to earth after a year of gametape and planning or if he's legit. There's no question his physical talent alone puts him in the better tier of QBs. 

16 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Luck is a natural, he makes it look easy. Manning was always a bit frantic. Brees is a bit frantic as well, largely due to his height

Luck does look more relaxed. Even with all the hitching Manning did, he still knew exactly what to do. Brees just has to be quick bc his height is so disadvantageous for him, plus I think he makes the best post-snap reads in the NFL right now, and for awhile now

1 hour ago, Calmack said:

Really interesting. What are your thoughts on Mahomes? He came from a spread offense I believe. I noticed during the LAR game that his first read was almost always wide open. They argually scheme guys open better than we do. I wonder if Mahomes will fall back to earth after a year of gametape and planning or if he's legit. There's no question his physical talent alone puts him in the better tier of QBs. 

Mahomes will fall very hard in his 3rd year imo.  When I watch him it's more scheme than dissection. I do think he will rebound quite well but I do think he's in for a hard year very soon. 

Luck is cerebral and methodical. He doesn’t have to think about it. He doesn’t have to make the crazy 360 spinning throw on the run while playing because he knows how to pick apart a defense. 

If Andrew’s supporting cast had been anything like what some of these other top tier QBs have had over the years, and he had protection earlier, he’d already be an MVP. He’s had a ton of stone hands receivers (Fleener, Pascal, DHB, Allen, etc...) who have gifted the other teams INTs at times. I think through his first 4 years he was the most hit QB in the league as well. At RB he’s had mediocre talent (Richardson, Donald Brown, Mewelde Moore, Tipton, Turbin, RBs you forget about, etc...) where the best back he had was an old Frank Gore. 

Im telling you, give Luck Antonio Brown, Ezekiel Elliot, and the line he’s got now for any year of his career and he’s MVP.

• Like 3

Just adding my .02, but the quote the OP made sounds like something NCF would say.  He watched him pretty closely while at Stanford.  Just a guess.

As for Luck, I agree that he would have so much more success had he had a 50% better OLine than he's had before this year.  You can see how he can pick defenses apart when he has more the 1.5 seconds in the pocket.  The game planning also plays a big part of that as well.  We're finally seeing what he can do after all these years.