Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titan's Game Injuries

chrisfarley

1 minute ago, Introspect said:

Malik Hooker walked off after his injury last year

Yah, ACLs are weird... in most cases you can walk right off, but you couldn't do any sharp lateral movements... Rondo played half a game with his ACL if I remember correctly. 

Hopefully Kelly's injury is much less serious, though... 

13 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I hope Kelly isn’t an injury requiring surgery but my fear is anytime they schedule an MRI, don’t they already know there is something damaged, just need the MRI for confirmation? Not too often we hear MRI and negative with knee concerns. 

They need an MRI for confirmation and I think to some extent to know the severity of the injury.  

I hope for the best but to me when there is a knee injury followed by an MRI the day after, it usually means they suspect something is torn.

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yah, ACLs are weird... in most cases you can walk right off, but you couldn't do any sharp lateral movements... Rondo played half a game with his ACL if I remember correctly. 

Hopefully Kelly's injury is much less serious, though... 

Carson Wentz threw a touchdown pass on a torn ACL if I remember right.

I remember watching the game because at the time I had Wentz as my starting fantasy QB.  And he took a big hit on a run and I remember being glad that he got up right away and hoping he would avoid such hits in the future.  He goes to the next play, throws a TD pass.

Then they start talking about him getting looked at by the trainers, then he's in the tent, then he's going to the locker room.   

But yeah just cause walked off doesn't mean he's fine.  

14 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm getting taken to task in another thread all week for daring to say the Colts need to prioritize OL depth in the offense. Just saying, this is why depth matters. 

Hopefully Evan Boehm is ready if Kelly misses any time. 

I've been thinking about the Colts drafting Tyler Biadasz for this reason. Whether it's Kelly or Biadasz starting makes no difference. The next man up is just as good as the starter.

I was curious about people expecting the worst in this situation, so I searched for 2018 MRI knee results.  Sure, you have players who are out for the year, but it seems a majority of the tests resulted in no significant damage.  Who knows what will happen with Kelly, but just ordering an MRI doesn't necessarily mean the worst, especially considering Kelly already had issues with the knee.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

They need an MRI for confirmation and I think to some extent to know the severity of the injury.  

I hope for the best but to me when there is a knee injury followed by an MRI the day after, it usually means they suspect something is torn.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, #12. said:

I was curious about people expecting the worst in this situation, so I searched for 2018 MRI knee results.  Sure, you have players who are out for the year, but it seems a majority of the tests resulted in no significant damage.  Who knows what will happen with Kelly, but just ordering an MRI doesn't necessarily mean the worst, especially considering Kelly already had issues with the knee.

yep!  Thanks for the positive post

We will know in a few hours

15 hours ago, Superman said:

I typed "offense," meant "offseason." 

But yeah, it's obvious that teams around the league struggle with OL play, not to mention depth. But my point is that I think the Colts are nicely positioned to add quality players at OL so that we have some depth behind our starters. 

And I think that's important because a) we seem to have a lot of OL injuries, historically (started five centers last year), and b) I don't like the way our reserves have played this season -- Clark was bad, Haeg was bad last year and is hurt again, Good seems to be injury prone... Our best reserves coming into the season were probably Smith and Glowinski, and they're starters now. We'll see how Boehm does if he has to play, but we're one injury away from having to go back to players that weren't very good early in the season. I'd like to upgrade on those players in the offseason.

Not disagreeing entirely but if you have 3 so so guys in the OL they look very bad. If you have 4 decent OL guys and 1 not so good, the not so good will not look that bad. I did not think Clarke looked terrible at left tackle in Castonzo's absence for not having played there before and even though Haeg may not be a great starter, he isn't a terrible backup in a good group of linemen. 

I wouldn't question Ballard if he took a great OT #1 in the draft but I and not terribly unhappy with our OL depth. Now if we get 2 or 3 guys hurt that's a different story but there is not a team in the NFL that could overcome that.

13 hours ago, reidaj1812 said:

I don't think we need to and here is why: we have Webb on IR and also Matt S who was very good starting at G and he can also play C.  Good, Haeg and Clark were one time projected starters. Boehm is a very good C and I don't think we should waste a high draft pick to get someone that may or may not be any better. our top 3 picks one in the 1st and 2 in the 2nd should go to defense.

FA should net us the best wr in fa (even though I do like #15 Inman I think we should upgrade there.

Webb, a journeyman backup who has never played at a high level. 

Slauson is probably done, and why rely on a guy who has finished on IR the last two seasons?

Good can't stay on the field.

Clark hasn't done anything when he's played. He's a liability. 

Haeg was bad last year, and has been hurt this year. 

Boehm has never been very good in the NFL, but I'm fine with him being in the mix. 

This is kind of crazy to me. Our OL has been terrible for years, decimated by injury for years, and now we should just stand pat and not even address our glaring lack of depth? Wow.

By the way, I never suggested using a high draft pick on a lineman, but I'm not against it. Our RT is playing out of position, and our RG is a former castoff having a good two month stretch.

I really can't believe anyone is content to seal this current group of OL in permanent ink, including depth, of which we really have none. 

Look at the Eagles last year. They survived because of depth across the roster, but specifically at OL. Peters went down and they had a serviceable backup LT to handle the job. We currently don't have a serviceable backup LT, as the first month of the season showed. We need one before camp 2019. We probably need backup guards as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Not disagreeing entirely but if you have 3 so so guys in the OL they look very bad. If you have 4 decent OL guys and 1 not so good, the not so good will not look that bad. I did not think Clarke looked terrible at left tackle in Castonzo's absence for not having played there before and even though Haeg may not be a great starter, he isn't a terrible backup in a good group of linemen. 

I wouldn't question Ballard if he took a great OT #1 in the draft but I and not terribly unhappy with our OL depth. Now if we get 2 or 3 guys hurt that's a different story but there is not a team in the NFL that could overcome that.

Yet we have $100m in cap space and basically no one to retain. We could legitimately use $9m on three backup linemen in 2019 and be way better equipped to deal with a slew of injuries at OL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Came in for a series and did his best to end the streak.

I should have said he hasn't done anything good when he's played.

Clark should be a good backup tackle. He can't sync his lower body with his upper body, and we're almost three years in. I'm not saying we should cut him tomorrow, I'm just saying I'm not interested in relying on Clark rather than upgrading that spot.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Webb, a journeyman backup who has never played at a high level. 

Slauson is probably done, and why rely on a guy who has finished on IR the last two seasons?

Good can't stay on the field.

Clark hasn't done anything when he's played. He's a liability. 

Haeg was bad last year, and has been hurt this year. 

Boehm has never been very good in the NFL, but I'm fine with him being in the mix. 

This is kind of crazy to me. Our OL has been terrible for years, decimated by injury for years, and now we should just stand pat and not even address our glaring lack of depth? Wow.

By the way, I never suggested using a high draft pick on a lineman, but I'm not against it. Our RT is playing out of position, and our RG is a former castoff having a good two month stretch.

I really can't believe anyone is content to seal this current group of OL in permanent ink, including depth, of which we really have none. 

Look at the Eagles last year. They survived because of depth across the roster, but specifically at OL. Peters went down and they had a serviceable backup LT to handle the job. We currently don't have a serviceable backup LT, as the first month of the season showed. We need one before camp 2019. We probably need backup guards as well. 

Clark actually played pretty well replacing AC. He got beat bad a couple times but settled after a couple starts.  Very surprised you would choose this path. I will rely on his coaches.
 I don't think Haeg has a position but they will keep him another year (cheap).
I'll bet Boehm shows up if needed. JMO. He is a center not a combo his play has shown. To slow too pull and chase at guard.
 And Ballard will find better than Good, Please.

No way Smith is as good a guard in this offense as he is a tackle. The reasons are OBVIOUS.
And we will add guard depth.

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yet we have $100m in cap space and basically no one to retain. We could legitimately use $9m on three backup linemen in 2019 and be way better equipped to deal with a slew of injuries at OL.

we may do just that... but not before March...

36 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Clark actually played pretty well replacing AC. He got beat bad a couple times but settled after a couple starts.  Very surprised you would choose this path. I will rely on his coaches.
 I don't think Haeg has a position but they will keep him another year (cheap).
I'll bet Boehm shows up if needed. JMO. He is a center not a combo his play has shown. To slow too pull and chase at guard.
 And Ballard will find better than Good, Please.

No way Smith is as good a guard in this offense as he is a tackle. The reasons are OBVIOUS.

I disagree on Clark, we saw different things. Even in his brief time yesterday, he got out of sorts and had to hold to keep from giving up a hit (didn't get called, but he had the rusher in a headlock). After two and a half years, he has the same technical issues he had when he was drafted. He was always raw and needed time, but he doesn't look better to me. Maybe more time with Coach Gugs will get him right, and I'm okay with that. But I'm not comfortable relying on him to back up the LT position.

Haeg was supposed to be the swing backup, like Joe Reitz. He fell off hard last year, and has been hurt this year. I don't know what we have in Haeg.

I'm okay with those two being our 8-9 OL. Not our 6-7.

You're right, Boehm is a center, not a guard where he's mostly played so far. We'll see how he plays if Kelly is out.

I'm done with Good, bet Ballard is, too. Another guy who can be my last guy on the bench, not my first guy off the bench.

Smith might be better at RT, and I'm fine with leaving him there, but again, who's his backup? Who's the backup at RG, in case Glowinski falls off or gets hurt.

We agree, we'll add backup guards. I think we have to.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

we may do just that... but not before March...

Right, I'm looking at what we need going into next season. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't disagree at all with you on this. As I said I wouldn't care if Ballard's first pick was a OT next year or if he spent $10 to $15M in FA for linemen. All I am saying is I am not in panic mode now as I think we could get by with what we got unless 2 or 3 go down.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jskinnz said:

You need to pay attention to way Ballard talks about building the roster.

1) He will not go into the draft thinking they need to use picks 1, 2, and 3 on defense, nor should he.

2) He will not go into free agency thinking their main target should be a WR.

3) The idea that Webb, Haeg and Good's backup roles should not be upgraded is kind of funny.  I also think Slauson's career is more than likely over. Not necessarily due to his injury but his age.  Also the jury is very much still out on whether or not Boehm is a "very good" center.  I don't know how anyone knows that.

The fact is Ballard will use FA and the draft to make the roster better.  If that means a back up linemen in FA or drafting a WR in the first round, he will do exactly that.  Anyone thinking a specific position should be drafted in a specific round has not been paying attention.

count on it he will draft DL (1st 2 picks will be DL) 3rd pick SS or LB. we will keep Boehm and Haeg for sure as backup OL. now with that said he will maybe try to find some better options in FA on the OL...but remember we will only carry so many on the active roster. we have our 5 starters and you  cannot expect to have a player coming off the bench that will be anywhere close to the talent of the starters.

7 hours ago, reidaj1812 said:

count on it he will draft DL (1st 2 picks will be DL) 3rd pick SS or LB. we will keep Boehm and Haeg for sure as backup OL. now with that said he will maybe try to find some better options in FA on the OL...but remember we will only carry so many on the active roster. we have our 5 starters and you  cannot expect to have a player coming off the bench that will be anywhere close to the talent of the starters.

Dear God...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I respectfully disagree with this last comment

I personally believe that Smith is a good Tackle..... (Good enough) 

Especially when you compare him to some of the RT play we have had over the past 4-5 years

I personally believe that he MAY be a GREAT, maybe a Pro Bowl guard, but because of need....... filled in at RT

It wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point our future LT is plugged in at RT to develop and Smith gets moved in to RG.

So the choice is

Smith as a GOOD ENOUGH RT (he is doing well) VS. Smith as a possible GREAT guard

I would be a but nervous making a change, UNTIL we have the future Tackle on the roster

And maybe more importantly...... our current LT is over 30........  With no one really on this roster ready to take over as a starter

Haeg?  Clark?   To me they arent starters