Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson Fined for leading with helmet


lollygagger8

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

This is true. But how many of those blocks have a viral video making it so easy to identify the penalty? Sure, these types of blocks occur all of the time. Nelson's block was so brutal that it was replayed over and over again, making it easy to identify the penalty.

 

That should not be the basis on which penalties/fines are levied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Of course not.

 

But it explains why he was fined, when other O-lineman have not, for doing the same thing. 

 

That's what they need to change then, either go over the film and fine all those hits or don't fine them at all.  They should not be picking plays that go viral to fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

That's what they need to change then, either go over the film and fine all those hits or don't fine them at all.  They should not be picking plays that go viral to fine.

Yeah the REFS didn't even call a Penalty on the Nelson hit. Yet he gets fined because his hit goes Viral, yeah that makes sense :scorebad:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the REFS didn't even call a Penalty on the Nelson hit. Yet he gets fined because his hit goes Viral, yeah that makes sense :scorebad:

 

It's inconsistent, @PeterBowman mentioned the Sony Michel hit.  That too was a text book example of lowering the helmet, but because it didn't go viral no fine.  That is a really bad way to dole out fines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

It's inconsistent, @PeterBowman mentioned the Sony Michel hit.  That too was a text book example of lowering the helmet, but because it didn't go viral no fine.  That is a really bad way to dole out fines.

 

Let's post 'the scream' to all 'lowering the head' videos, and eventually they'll become white noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Then other O.Lineman need to start getting fined then because it happens every game in all games where at times they lead with their helmet. This is a dumb fine, sorry. I have never seen an O.Lineman get fined for this and technically the league could do it too many other O.Lineman is my point. To me this has nothing to do with being a Colts fan, had this been a Pats O.Lineman I would be saying the same thing. Pick out any game this week and if you go over every play you will find this happens quite a bit by O.Lineman. 

So, in your opinion, if EVERYONE who commits a crime is not convicted of committing a crime, then no one should be convicted of a crime?  I know that is an extreme, but that is applying your thoughts to another situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

If it means no more Judge Judy/Mathis/Joe Brown/Divorce Court, etc... then yes.

 

giphy.gif

 

jk

Interesting side note.  So Judge Brown is from the Kansas City area and he is a partner in one of the largest ambulance chasing law firms in both Kansas and Missouri.  So I get to see his commercials all the time... yay me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Interesting side note.  So Judge Brown is from the Kansas City area and he is a partner in one of the largest ambulance chasing law firms in both Kansas and Missouri.  So I get to see his commercials all the time... yay me.

 

"Injured in a car wreck?"

 

"Call me, the Hammer!"

 

"It's just that easy!"

 

"Tell the insurance company, you mean BUSINESS!"

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5494267

 

You know, now that I think about it, maybe Barry Church should call one of these lawyers.  He did get run over by a big-rig while visiting Indy last week...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So, in your opinion, if EVERYONE who commits a crime is not convicted of committing a crime, then no one should be convicted of a crime?  I know that is an extreme, but that is applying your thoughts to another situation.

I had a feeling someone would Post something like this. Problem with this is, REFS never call O.Lineman for this type of penalty during a game on anyone period. Only reason why Nelson is getting fined is, his video went Viral and the league looked at the video. That is a wrong way to punish someone.

 

-Your example is very extreme considering we are talking crime and football. Obviously if someone gets away with a crime but is caught on camera then he/she should be punished. With Nelson the REFS never call that on O.Lineman in live play. I have never seen an O.Lineman get a lowering/leading the helmet Penalty and it happens quite a bit actually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

I'm still waiting for the Sony Michele fine for his lowering of the helmet hit on Geathers

Finally someone said it. So we can now call it Pancakegate. Church is playing this weekend. Geathers didn't play for awhile and almost career ending. Maybe we should spam NFL corporate for a response to that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I wonder if that play wasn't edited and circulated all over the internet, does Nelson still receive a fine, i bet the NFL doesn't even take a second look ..

So an intern decided to edit a play to sensationalize it, it goes viral which brings it to the NFL's attention and Quenton gets fined. If the team isn't secretly reimbursing Quenton  then they are cads. I am not going to donate to a go fund me for Q-dog......he will soon be a millionaire and I am shlep'n for a living.....but I feel for him.

 

Hottest seat in the Colts organization should be under that intern's butt

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matabix said:

Finally someone said it. So we can now call it Pancakegate. Church is playing this weekend. Geathers didn't play for awhile and almost career ending. Maybe we should spam NFL corporate for a response to that?

Starting email spam program loop in 3, 2, 1...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 1:30 PM, Nesjan3 said:

I wonder if that play wasn't edited and circulated all over the internet, does Nelson still receive a fine, i bet the NFL doesn't even take a second look ..

Even before the scream edit was released by the Colts the NFL had a clip of the block posted on their Facebook page.  Captioned with something along the lines of "this is how a guard is picked for offensive rookie of the month".  So they were well aware of the play anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, csmopar said:

Where can we donate to it? That wasn't leading with a helmet. What a joke

 

On 11/16/2018 at 12:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What a joke!

 

https://pix.sfly.com/WvZiaQ

 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:06 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Cheesey... Keep lining the NFLs pocket with cash

 

He was out in the open going 2nd level and lowered the helmet to initiate contact.  As expressed early, that is the poster of the rule.

 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we watched every game closely last week I bet we can find at least 1 O.Lineman lead with their helmet on a play in each game actually. I have never heard of an O.Lineman getting fined for this. It's a joke, end of story.

 

On 11/16/2018 at 2:11 PM, CheezyColt said:

He definitely lowered his helmet.  That said, when you start fining offensive linemen in the name of player safety, when they literally smack helmets every play, that's bush league.  I would think the Colts could cover this fine since their doctored footage of the play pulled so much attention towards it.

 

They were going to call it from getting out of the stance! 

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777387-nfl-linemen-who-lower-helmet-to-make-contact-out-of-stance-will-be-penalized

 

They have toned down the lowering helmet calls from pre-season levels, but it is still in the forefront to reduce/eliminate those plays from the game.  Even with the down linemen.

 

23 hours ago, csmopar said:

no.. he lowered his helmet

 

"It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. Contact does not have to be to an opponent’s head or neck area – lowering the head and initiating contact to an opponent’s torso, hips, and lower body, is also a foul. This rule applies anywhere on the field at any time."

 

https://pix.sfly.com/X3pncC

 

https://bit.ly/2ze3WFX

 

The NFL would have caught it anyway, here's a detailed look at ALL that goes on in NY during games, and it is not just challenge judgements, it's all play review in multi-angles-

 

https://bit.ly/2ze3WFX

 

The takeaway-  

"One of the key aspects of the play-review process is that when a penalty is called on the field, it doesn't always lead to a fine from the league offices. But when a penalty is not called, a player still might pay. Hanks' verdicts from Week 6 are prime examples of this. Suh was fined $31,500 for his hit on Weeden, which wasn't flagged."

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 2:24 PM, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

I'm more than convinced andrew or even irsay would reimburse that

I would hope he got a 50k bonus for that block, would be worth every penny. He is just serving notice to Ds what to expect, this Oline is what the OFF has been waiting for

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 1:13 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had a feeling someone would Post something like this. Problem with this is, REFS never call O.Lineman for this type of penalty during a game on anyone period. Only reason why Nelson is getting fined is, his video went Viral and the league looked at the video. That is a wrong way to punish someone.

 

-Your example is very extreme considering we are talking crime and football. Obviously if someone gets away with a crime but is caught on camera then he/she should be punished. With Nelson the REFS never call that on O.Lineman in live play. I have never seen an O.Lineman get a lowering/leading the helmet Penalty and it happens quite a bit actually. 

They are different only in global impact but both are based on rules and the breaking of those rules.  Also don't chance the question being asked.  The question was not if someone commits a crime and is caught on camera should that be punished, the point was you stating that if they fine Nelson then they need to go back and review the film of all lineman and fine them every time they have done that.  If they don't then they should not fine Nelson.  So my point was, if someone gets away with a crime, does that mean no criminals should be punished?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Baltimore gave really good fight but looks like they will fall short. Colts will have a game up now on the ravens and raiders.   The colts and Steelers offense looks a lot alike. Short passes with the occasional chunk play of pass down field. Big Ben and Rivers and the same point in their careers look a lot alike. Even Ben through a bone headed int. Get pressure on him and you can rattle him like Rivers. Steelers have to be the quietest undefeated team I have seen.
    • Agreed. With that said I am not stopping from being apprehensive about his future.  He is young and talented so IMO it's way too early in his career to write him off. 
    • I hear ya. I feel the same way.    as for rivers who knows. I’d be more than happy if he took 20 vs 25, I mean that very well could be a solid CB pick up this coming off season if teams have to cut a lot of players. We’re talking 1/3 of the league over the cap if 176 holds. Plus several more teams just barely under it. 5 million may even be a good CB pick up. There’s a really good chance that salaries, even cheap 1 year deals become the norm for 2021. If a young player has to chose between taking 5 million due to this for a year, vs taking nothing at all, he’s gonna go for the 5 million.    if that makes sense. 
    • The nomination for the most over dramatic, over written piece of garbage goes to......   What a dumpster fire.     
    • Possibly, but what constitutes a lower salary?   $20m is $5m cheaper, but doesn't help all that much.   Even if by some chance he took $15m, things are still tight. Would definitely help to have $10m extra.    At this point of his career, does he just say, $15m isnt worth it, Im going to spend time with my family.     I cant wait for the off-season, it is almost on the same level as the season for me. I love it.
  • Members

    • Lancer1

      Lancer1 250

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Flash7

      Flash7 2,713

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dan Smith

      Dan Smith 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ar7

      ar7 450

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PrincetonTiger

      PrincetonTiger 12,390

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 2,790

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsSouljah

      ColtsSouljah 491

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 588

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • buccolts

      buccolts 5,151

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 11,081

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...