Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson Fined for leading with helmet

lollygagger8

59 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

This is true. But how many of those blocks have a viral video making it so easy to identify the penalty? Sure, these types of blocks occur all of the time. Nelson's block was so brutal that it was replayed over and over again, making it easy to identify the penalty.

That should not be the basis on which penalties/fines are levied.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Of course not.

But it explains why he was fined, when other O-lineman have not, for doing the same thing. 

That's what they need to change then, either go over the film and fine all those hits or don't fine them at all.  They should not be picking plays that go viral to fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

That's what they need to change then, either go over the film and fine all those hits or don't fine them at all.  They should not be picking plays that go viral to fine.

Yeah the REFS didn't even call a Penalty on the Nelson hit. Yet he gets fined because his hit goes Viral, yeah that makes sense :scorebad:

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the REFS didn't even call a Penalty on the Nelson hit. Yet he gets fined because his hit goes Viral, yeah that makes sense :scorebad:

It's inconsistent, @PeterBowman mentioned the Sony Michel hit.  That too was a text book example of lowering the helmet, but because it didn't go viral no fine.  That is a really bad way to dole out fines.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

It's inconsistent, @PeterBowman mentioned the Sony Michel hit.  That too was a text book example of lowering the helmet, but because it didn't go viral no fine.  That is a really bad way to dole out fines.

Let's post 'the scream' to all 'lowering the head' videos, and eventually they'll become white noise.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Then other O.Lineman need to start getting fined then because it happens every game in all games where at times they lead with their helmet. This is a dumb fine, sorry. I have never seen an O.Lineman get fined for this and technically the league could do it too many other O.Lineman is my point. To me this has nothing to do with being a Colts fan, had this been a Pats O.Lineman I would be saying the same thing. Pick out any game this week and if you go over every play you will find this happens quite a bit by O.Lineman. 

So, in your opinion, if EVERYONE who commits a crime is not convicted of committing a crime, then no one should be convicted of a crime?  I know that is an extreme, but that is applying your thoughts to another situation.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If it means no more Judge Judy/Mathis/Joe Brown/Divorce Court, etc... then yes.

giphy.gif

jk

Interesting side note.  So Judge Brown is from the Kansas City area and he is a partner in one of the largest ambulance chasing law firms in both Kansas and Missouri.  So I get to see his commercials all the time... yay me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Interesting side note.  So Judge Brown is from the Kansas City area and he is a partner in one of the largest ambulance chasing law firms in both Kansas and Missouri.  So I get to see his commercials all the time... yay me.

"Injured in a car wreck?"

"Call me, the Hammer!"

"It's just that easy!"

"Tell the insurance company, you mean BUSINESS!"

tenor.gif?itemid=5494267

You know, now that I think about it, maybe Barry Church should call one of these lawyers.  He did get run over by a big-rig while visiting Indy last week...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So, in your opinion, if EVERYONE who commits a crime is not convicted of committing a crime, then no one should be convicted of a crime?  I know that is an extreme, but that is applying your thoughts to another situation.

I had a feeling someone would Post something like this. Problem with this is, REFS never call O.Lineman for this type of penalty during a game on anyone period. Only reason why Nelson is getting fined is, his video went Viral and the league looked at the video. That is a wrong way to punish someone.

-Your example is very extreme considering we are talking crime and football. Obviously if someone gets away with a crime but is caught on camera then he/she should be punished. With Nelson the REFS never call that on O.Lineman in live play. I have never seen an O.Lineman get a lowering/leading the helmet Penalty and it happens quite a bit actually. 

16 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

I'm still waiting for the Sony Michele fine for his lowering of the helmet hit on Geathers

Finally someone said it. So we can now call it Pancakegate. Church is playing this weekend. Geathers didn't play for awhile and almost career ending. Maybe we should spam NFL corporate for a response to that?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I wonder if that play wasn't edited and circulated all over the internet, does Nelson still receive a fine, i bet the NFL doesn't even take a second look ..

So an intern decided to edit a play to sensationalize it, it goes viral which brings it to the NFL's attention and Quenton gets fined. If the team isn't secretly reimbursing Quenton  then they are cads. I am not going to donate to a go fund me for Q-dog......he will soon be a millionaire and I am shlep'n for a living.....but I feel for him.

Hottest seat in the Colts organization should be under that intern's butt

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 1:30 PM, Nesjan3 said:

I wonder if that play wasn't edited and circulated all over the internet, does Nelson still receive a fine, i bet the NFL doesn't even take a second look ..

Even before the scream edit was released by the Colts the NFL had a clip of the block posted on their Facebook page.  Captioned with something along the lines of "this is how a guard is picked for offensive rookie of the month".  So they were well aware of the play anyway. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, csmopar said:

Where can we donate to it? That wasn't leading with a helmet. What a joke

On 11/16/2018 at 12:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What a joke!

https://pix.sfly.com/WvZiaQ

On 11/16/2018 at 1:06 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Cheesey... Keep lining the NFLs pocket with cash

He was out in the open going 2nd level and lowered the helmet to initiate contact.  As expressed early, that is the poster of the rule.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we watched every game closely last week I bet we can find at least 1 O.Lineman lead with their helmet on a play in each game actually. I have never heard of an O.Lineman getting fined for this. It's a joke, end of story.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:11 PM, CheezyColt said:

He definitely lowered his helmet.  That said, when you start fining offensive linemen in the name of player safety, when they literally smack helmets every play, that's bush league.  I would think the Colts could cover this fine since their doctored footage of the play pulled so much attention towards it.

They were going to call it from getting out of the stance! 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777387-nfl-linemen-who-lower-helmet-to-make-contact-out-of-stance-will-be-penalized

They have toned down the lowering helmet calls from pre-season levels, but it is still in the forefront to reduce/eliminate those plays from the game.  Even with the down linemen.

23 hours ago, csmopar said:

no.. he lowered his helmet

"It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. Contact does not have to be to an opponent’s head or neck area – lowering the head and initiating contact to an opponent’s torso, hips, and lower body, is also a foul. This rule applies anywhere on the field at any time."

https://pix.sfly.com/X3pncC

https://bit.ly/2ze3WFX

The NFL would have caught it anyway, here's a detailed look at ALL that goes on in NY during games, and it is not just challenge judgements, it's all play review in multi-angles-

https://bit.ly/2ze3WFX

The takeaway-  

"One of the key aspects of the play-review process is that when a penalty is called on the field, it doesn't always lead to a fine from the league offices. But when a penalty is not called, a player still might pay. Hanks' verdicts from Week 6 are prime examples of this. Suh was fined $31,500 for his hit on Weeden, which wasn't flagged."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 1:13 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had a feeling someone would Post something like this. Problem with this is, REFS never call O.Lineman for this type of penalty during a game on anyone period. Only reason why Nelson is getting fined is, his video went Viral and the league looked at the video. That is a wrong way to punish someone.

-Your example is very extreme considering we are talking crime and football. Obviously if someone gets away with a crime but is caught on camera then he/she should be punished. With Nelson the REFS never call that on O.Lineman in live play. I have never seen an O.Lineman get a lowering/leading the helmet Penalty and it happens quite a bit actually. 

They are different only in global impact but both are based on rules and the breaking of those rules.  Also don't chance the question being asked.  The question was not if someone commits a crime and is caught on camera should that be punished, the point was you stating that if they fine Nelson then they need to go back and review the film of all lineman and fine them every time they have done that.  If they don't then they should not fine Nelson.  So my point was, if someone gets away with a crime, does that mean no criminals should be punished?