Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson Fined for leading with helmet

lollygagger8

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/11/16/18098744/report-colts-ol-quenton-nelson-fined-after-video-of-him-goes-viral

The bank account of Quenton Nelson took a hit just like Barry Church did.

Indianapolis Colts’ talented offensive lineman was fined nearly $27,000 for the pancake block on the Jacksonville Jaguar safety.

The NFL handed out the fine to Nelson due to the fact he led with his helmet during the pancake block, resulting in Church to fly backwards and land on his back.

Nelson is becoming known for his pancake blocks, even a guy he blocks for is starting to notice it on film during the ensuing week.

“Actually, it’s very crazy,” Colts running back Nyheim Hines said about Nelson. “A guy that violent – I’ve never seen it, actually. I mean, obviously I know he’s violent, but I’m running the ball or whatever, and then I turn on the film and he’s killing people. Like early in the game (against the Jaguars), he pulled around and just obliterated somebody.”

If Nelson is dealing pancake blocks to players like Church, and it leads the Colts to an AFC South or Wildcard berth, then I’m willing to start a gofundme each week

giphy.gif

It was definitely leading with the helmet, they probably used the facemask shaped bruise on Church's chest as evidence.

But good for him and like @Lucky Colts Fan stated/// worth every penny.

I guarantee the next time the Colts and Jags play, Church will not be running up there to support the run.  He will take a different angle to try to avoid Big Q.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I wonder if that play wasn't edited and circulated all over the internet, does Nelson still receive a fine, i bet the NFL doesn't even take a second look ..

I bet you are right.  Sometimes drawing attention to yourself isn't a good thing.  Not saying Nelson did, but the Colts org did.

He definitely lowered his helmet.  That said, when you start fining offensive linemen in the name of player safety, when they literally smack helmets every play, that's bush league.  I would think the Colts could cover this fine since their doctored footage of the play pulled so much attention towards it.

38 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Come on man.  I know we see things through Colts Blue tinted glasses, but that was the clinical definition of leading with the helmet.

Then other O.Lineman need to start getting fined then because it happens every game in all games where at times they lead with their helmet. This is a dumb fine, sorry. I have never seen an O.Lineman get fined for this and technically the league could do it too many other O.Lineman is my point. To me this has nothing to do with being a Colts fan, had this been a Pats O.Lineman I would be saying the same thing. Pick out any game this week and if you go over every play you will find this happens quite a bit by O.Lineman. 

7 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I'm still waiting for the Sony Michele fine for his lowering of the helmet hit on Geathers

That's the one I thought about right away.  Heck he should just show a montage of the different lowering of the helmet hits that have not been fined.  It probably wouldn't help, but it would be nice if the NFL wasn't so inconsistent.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Then other O.Lineman need to start getting fined then because it happens every game in all games where at times they lead with their helmet. This is a dumb fine, sorry. I have never seen an O.Lineman get fined for this and technically the league could do it too many other O.Lineman is my point. To me this has nothing to do with being a Colts fan, had this been a Pats O.Lineman I would be saying the same thing. Pick out any game this week and if you go over every play you will find this happens quite a bit by O.Lineman. 

This is true. But how many of those blocks have a viral video making it so easy to identify the penalty? Sure, these types of blocks occur all of the time. Nelson's block was so brutal that it was replayed over and over again, making it easy to identify the penalty.

41 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

This is true. But how many of those blocks have a viral video making it so easy to identify the penalty? Sure, these types of blocks occur all of the time. Nelson's block was so brutal that it was replayed over and over again, making it easy to identify the penalty.

Still doesn't make the fine right IMO. This weekend I should go back over every game and Post a block by an O.Lineman on YouTube or Twitter that is similar to what Nelson did, there will be at least one out of 16 games. Lets see if that Lineman gets fined. People could do this every week actually. Not only that, Lineman lead or lower their helmet on several plays. If REFS start giving Penalties out for O.Lineman using their helmet in any way, the game would last 4 hours and be a Penalty crap fest of a game. This fine is silly and I will leave it at that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1