Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAfee Explains 'Worst play in NFL history'

Lawrence Owen

Not sure if this was ever explained in full detail.  I do not remember this or any one also giving the full explanation of it before. and after listening, the play makes since.  We were told it wasn't supposed to be snapped, but that's not completely true. Here is McAfee explaining in FULL detail :

This video has Pat's Language, so be warned there may be foul language.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

ever hear the saying, let sleeping dogs lay? This is many moons ago and needs to just drop.

That's your opinion.  But I respectfully disagree.  I've been wondering for those 'many moons' the actual thought process behind this play.  Now I have it.  And if it was bugging me this bad, I figure it did others as well.

You are right though, it is the past.  But people only get better by learning from the success and failures of the past. Your experiences, and others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Also, might want to put a disclaimer about the language in the video too.  Doesn't bother me any but it might others.

If they don't know Patty Mac talking then they haven't been paying much attention. :mindblow:

With that said you are correct about the disclaimer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I mean he explained all this literally a couple days after it happened. 

Why now, in 2018, are we going back and visiting it again?

I don't ever remember it being said that is was supposed to be snapped if NE was doing a ST/D personnel transition.  Which is what the play was drawn up for in the first place.  With that info,..they play actually makes perfect since.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I don't ever remember it being said that is was supposed to be snapped if NE was doing a ST/D personnel transition.  Which is what the play was drawn up for in the first place.  With that info,..they play actually makes perfect since.

it was explained back then. The only thing I found new out of that was the gunner switch to Griff. The rest, we knew already.  Including the Pagano side conversation with only one player

• Like 1

Belichick tends to praise everyone they play against.  he was just talking up how good the bills are from last nights game

a few years ago he was hyping up the 1-15 browns, you would have thought they were a super bowl contender just from that.  probably would have been a good time for a fake punt if it worked i guess

21 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I mean he explained all this literally a couple days after it happened. 

Why now, in 2018, are we going back and visiting it again?

This forum has always gone back in time discussing players and or plays. It's no big deal.

There may be a few fans who would learn something they didn't know.

With all respect if you don't care for it just pass it by.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Belichick tends to praise everyone they play against.  he was just talking up how good the bills are from last nights game

a few years ago he was hyping up the 1-15 browns, you would have thought they were a super bowl contender just from that.  probably would have been a good time for a fake punt if it worked i guess

:sigh:

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

out belichick belichick? is that even possible haha 

This was also my thinking...made it even worse is trying to get one over on the most prepared team in football. I don't care for all the defenses of the play. Timing in the game, who it was done against, and not having the players who had practiced it try to perform it.... definitely worthy of being in the worst play of all time category. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

out belichick belichick? is that even possible haha 

You have to keep in mind the color comments from Patty Mac. Over the years he has made it into a comedy by adding his own style of comedy.

Back when the play happened he explained the play just as it was, not adding his humor to it. I believe it was on the Bob and Tom's show.

Maybe some one else's memory can chime in?

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

This was also my thinking...made it even worse is trying to get one over on the most prepared team in football. I don't care for all the defenses of the play. Timing in the game, who it was done against, and not having the players who had practiced it try to perform it.... definitely worthy of being in the worst play of all time category. 

The thing is, had it worked all of us would be totally different in opinion.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

ever hear the saying, let sleeping dogs lay? This is many moons ago and needs to just drop.

Video about the Indianapolis Colts..... in the Colts forum......  definitely needed the disclaimer, but there is no rule about not posting past Colts games, plays, player info, or events to my knowledge.....  so if he's not breaking a rule or posting it in the wrong section, who cares?

Maybe I should listen closer, but what does intending to catch NE switching personnel have to do with it?

They covered the center/QB with three or four players regardless, so yea, if no defender is actually in front of the ball the play might have even scored a 60 yard TD.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Maybe I should listen closer, but what does intending to catch NE switching personnel have to do with it?

They covered the center/QB with three or four players regardless, so yea, if no defender is actually in front of the ball the play might have even scored a 60 yard TD.

Yeah, you should listen. The call was practice specifically to resemble a team who changed their minds on a 4th and 4 punt.  It was meant for NE to think that since the entire Colts unit 'seemed' to be heading towards the sidelines...B.B. would send out his defense thinking Indy was sending out their O.  Stop suddenly, and hike the ball when NE had to many players on the field. but only if the 'qb' went under center.  If it didn't work...try hard count to make them jump offsides.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pat is the greatest Punter in Colts history IMO, he would be on my all-time Colts team as the Punter. He can also kick Onsides Kicks well so to me he is a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong Pat was one heck of a punter. But Indy has had a lot of really good kickers and punters.  Pats personality set him apart from the rest. But punting skill-wise,...I'd put Ron Stark on top of the list.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Don't get me wrong Pat was one heck of a punter. But Indy has had a lot of really good kickers and punters.  Pats personality set him apart from the rest. But punting skill-wise,...I'd put Ron Stark on top of the list.

Hunter Smith was great too but I still rank Pat #1 even over Stark. Pat could kick Onsides Kicks well too is why. 

9 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Yeah, you should listen. The call was practice specifically to resemble a team who changed their minds on a 4th and 4 punt.  It was meant for NE to think that since the entire Colts unit 'seemed' to be heading towards the sidelines...B.B. would send out his defense thinking Indy was sending out their O.  Stop suddenly, and hike the ball when NE had to many players on the field. but only if the 'qb' went under center.  If it didn't work...try hard count to make them jump offsides.

Ok.  That was the explanation the first time after it happened.  That BB would commit to having too many players on the field despite two Colts being over the ball in position to snap it and still having 11.  

On 10/30/2018 at 10:56 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I tend to agree but even Belichick said had the play been executed correctly it was a great play to call.

1.) No he didn't lol.

Please post a link to that because this page says differently.

2.) That was a terrible play call. Bad situation, bad execution. Just bad.

10 minutes ago, colt18 said:

1.) No he didn't lol.

Please post a link to that because this page says differently.

2.) That was a terrible play call. Bad situation, bad execution. Just bad.

Look, he did say had the play been executed correctly it wasn't a bad play called. I heard the interview after that game and I am not going to go back and look for any link. I remember what he said.

He not one time said in your link it was a bad call.

Choose what you want to believe and I am not debating or arguing with you about it.

Even Patty Macs explanation covered what happened.