Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My take on Colts-Raiders.

Lawrence Owen

My film studies were cut short this week due to internet outage for 2 days this week, But i think i have enough info off it and players stats combined to make a reasonable expectation.

The raiders defense is as awful as the Bills offense.  The cannot get to the QB...7 sacks..dead last. After trading Mack, they have no player that can generate consistent pressure. Whereas our O-line has given up a paltry 10 sacks(4th best in NFL) 1 in the past 3 games since our o-line is back to full strength. Oakland gives up massive run lanes to opposing RB's...25th in NFL giving up 4.7 Yards/carry,

Consensus. :Our o-line is going to dominate this match-up.

They lost Lynch for this game. and He was an average RB. Never really makes big runs, but was consistent..like Gore. They will turn to Doug Martin.  And so far he has been less than pleasing to the eye.  Averages 3.7 YPC, (granted not many touches though.) Our Defense is surprisingly 7th in NFL giving up only 4.0 YPC so far.  And Oakland Gives up 17 sacks so far. Average by NFL concerns, but i honestly think this is because Carr is under-rated as a pass rush avoider. He has an ability to slide in a pocket to avoid pressure with the best of them.

A lot has been made of the Cooper trade, but don't buy into it.  They haven't utilized him much this past year, and has been a drop machine (much like our entire WR corps before last week).  Nelson and Bryant are dynamic with Carr passing to them.  And our pass defense is effective it seems only when we play with the lead and we KNOW they are going to pass.  We still have too many holes in a defense that a Veteran QB like Carr can carve up, So this is where I think we are going to have issues.

I expect a solid performance from our trenches again this game.  I figure the Raiders to come away averaging less the 3.5 YPC, and the attempts to be less than 20 as a team due to passing a lot.  Which i think they will have to because they will be playing catch-up the entire game.  I don't expect the score to be as lopsided as the Bills game, but I do expect Indy to be Just as dominate, even MORE so offensively.  I expect a double digit win, but not necessarily 2 TD's. This game could easily however end up as lopsided as the bills game, but I think the Raiders passing game will keep them within 2 TD's most of the game unless our defense can get timely turn-over like last week. (can't expect a D to get 5 turnovers week after week)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Our O-line has given up 10 sacks of poultry??!!! :lol:

Just messing with you bro.... I like us by double digits this week too.... the Raiders are a mess on defense.

Colts      34

Raiders 20

Your score prediction is probably pretty close.  But this is the 1 game IMO Indy actually has a chance to throw up a 50 burger.  Not saying they will, but with our entire O together and healthy, and as poorly as the Raiders are on D, There is the possibility.

(also, TY for pointing out typo, fixed.)

• Like 1

mack is questionable, that could have a big impact on this game.  if he plays i think colts win and its not close.  if not i could see them sticking around and maybe even winning 

the spread has been pretty steady, colts by 3 

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Your score prediction is probably pretty close.  But this is the 1 game IMO Indy actually has a chance to throw up a 50 burger.  Not saying they will, but with our entire O together and healthy, and as poorly as the Raiders are on D, There is the possibility.

I’d love to see it.... hopefully we win comfortably and keep the injuries to a minimum. 

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

mack is questionable, that could have a big impact on this game.  if he plays i think colts win and its not close.  if not i could see them sticking around and maybe even winning 

the spread has been pretty steady, colts by 3 

As much of a fan of Mack that I am, I think this O-line vrs their D-line will open holes big enough that Trent Richardson couldn't miss them.

16 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

As much of a fan of Mack that I am, I think this O-line vrs their D-line will open holes big enough that Trent Richardson couldn't miss them.

Trent richardson with the carry avoids the hole and runs into the back of nelson and is tackled for a loss

• Like 1

Just now, Stephen said:

Trent richardson with the carry avoids the hole and runs into the back of nelson and is tackled for a loss

Should have used someone other than Nelson...Your scenario involves Nelson being at or behind the LOS...I don't see that too often with him during run plays.

33 minutes ago, Trueman said:

man..... what was Grigson thinking when he saw that watching the tape?

"We can fix that" ...? 

No, you can't. He's a butt-fumble of a RB.

Grigson didn’t see THAT tape.   That came from Trent with the Raiders,  after he left the Colts.

Grigson only had Alabama tape, which was quite good, and Cleveland tape, which was the best of his career.  

Trent went downhill once he joined us.  But I never saw shots like these during his stay in Indy.   I didn’t see holes like these that Trent, or any Colts RB missed so badly.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Grigson didn’t see THAT tape.   That came from Trent with the Raiders,  after he left the Colts.

Grigson only had Alabama tape, which was quite good, and Cleveland tape, which was the best of his career.  

Trent went downhill once he joined us.  But I never saw shots like these during his stay in Indy.   I didn’t see holes like these that Trent, or any Colts RB missed so badly.

The second image is of Cleveland , is it not?

I'm aware of Trent's career. There's a  reason as to why Cleveland would be willing to deal their 3rd overall pick after a season and he didn't become visionless after joining the Colts

.Screen-Shot-2017-09-27-at-11_06.47-AM.png.jpeg.0b8dec77756769e7f028282fc256f944.jpeg

images.jpeg.86a90ed359ec4f632d5b58e9155e60f7.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2017-09-27-at-11_14.54-AM-1024x666.png.jpeg.1293a839cb82d79b84fc451f61cafab4.jpeg

I mean, just google image "trent richardson misses hole". There's plenty to choose from on any of his non CFL teams. 

30 minutes ago, Trueman said:

The second image is of Cleveland , is it not?

I'm aware of Trent's career. There's a  reason as to why Cleveland would be willing to deal their 3rd overall pick after a season and he didn't become visionless after joining the Colts.

Sorry....   my bad on the second image.   I glanced and thought it was the Raiders.

But the Trent at the end of his career wasn’t the same as the guy from Alabama or even the guy from Ckeveland.    Trent got worse and worse over time.

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....   my bad on the second image.   I glanced and thought it was the Raiders.

But the Trent at the end of his career wasn’t the same as the guy from Alabama or even the guy from Ckeveland.    Trent got worse and worse over time.

It's all good, no worries. 

I think what's more likely is Alabama had such a dominate line that he looked a lot better than he actually was. His vision was horrendous from day 1, it just wasn't clear as day until he was in the NFL.

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He got fat and lazy.

To get away from the Trent bash retread thread.....

i will go an opposite viewpoint as those thonking 50 points are possible. My thought is, as the original poster points out, the Raiders dline and defense as a whole is poor. I see a run heavy, burn up the clock type of game plan this week, much like last week. Give Luck the ability to make safer passes and allow his backs to shoulder the game with runs and short passes to them. Mix in Ebron and Doyle for scores in the redzone (Luck seems deadly around that 18-20 yard distance). I hope Mack plays and is not injured in doing so.

I think this game could end up being a TOP game, heavily in favor of the Colts. I’d be overly happy to see Luck have 20 passes and the team running for 200+ again and see a score of 20-13 type of score. Won’t complain if we hit 30,40 or 50 though :woah:

13 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

You mean like this? 

or this? 

i think you underestimate Trent Richardson

I can't even with these pics:lol: *crying emoji*

But I'm nervous for this game.. idk why. I just feel we are over estimating and we won't be able to get the raiders o off the field. I hope I'm right as heck. 

Maybe I just have bad feelings on the black hole. Last couple times playing there have been tough..

3 hours ago, onebad150 said:

I am always nervous about any game hat we are picked to win big. It would be totally awesome to go into the bye week with 2 wins in a row,, and more and more of our key player getting Healthy.

GO COLTS!!!!!!

actually, to the surprise of many, Indy is not big favorites on the Vegas line. favored by 3 only.

What gets me is it seems almost no-one outside of Colts actual fans/media knows jack about Indy.  If you go to other teams blogs/youtube channels, and other sites, you'll see each and every game the fans/media pinn's Indy as last years team. They still think Indy has a terrible O-line, D-line, and that Luck's arm is noodled because Brissett threw the hail mary and not him...lol  if they watched actual games they'd realize that our team is much better than last year, and that many of our key players are finally back from injury.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

What gets me is it seems almost no-one outside of Colts actual fans/media knows jack about Indy.  If you go to other teams blogs/youtube channels, and other sites, you'll see each and every game the fans/media pinn's Indy as last years team. They still think Indy has a terrible O-line, D-line, and that Luck's arm is noodled because Brissett threw the hail mary and not him...lol  if they watched actual games they'd realize that our team is much better than last year, and that many of our key players are finally back from injury.

Disagree. Been watching a lot of GMFB and NFL Network shows, and Colts are getting respect from most of the pundits. They know we are in rebuild and are coming along nicely, and that Luck and the o-line are on the way up......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Disagree. Been watching a lot of GMFB and NFL Network shows, and Colts are getting respect from most of the pundits. They know we are in rebuild and are coming along nicely, and that Luck and the o-line are on the way up......

Rephrase that, what I've seen has been positive, it could be what you have seen is less positive. Just depends on what you watch, read or listen to.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

That's fine if it's just typical fans. But if it's the 'professional' sports media saying such things, then you need to look for better media outlets