Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Job Now Is To Support Andrew Luck 110%

Okay, personal rant on...

I purposefully stayed away from the board yesterday. I took the day off from work and sulked. Watched the press conferences and all of the rigamorole surrounding Manning's departure. And I came away with one major conclusion:

As fans, If we are to support the continuation of success, if we are to support the continuation of the standards that Irsay, Polian, Dungy and Manning set down vis-a-vis a Championship calibre organization, then we have to give Andrew Luck a lot of latitude these first two seasons.

Colts fans are acclimated to our QB being the greatest QB in the history of the game. And with that comes some instinctive expectations with regards to game play, decision making, execution and ultimately victories. But Andrew Luck has nothing to do with our muscle memory, our atmosphere or expectations. He is not Peyton Manning. He is not going to do what Manning did. He may exceed it (as I hope) or he may not. But he is not Peyton Manning.

IMHO He deserves a clean slate. No Manningesque expectations from us as "fans". All cheers. All encouragement (because you know the Krapitz' of the World are gonna open fire at the first loss. Especially if we do not fly out the gate with 10 wins). But we're not Dolphins fans. We're not Raiders fans. We're Colts fans. We've endured some of the worst football teams in the history of the league. So let's stay humble. Let's give this kid all of the support and latitude he needs (from the fans) in these first few years to be succesful. If we want to have the next 14 years look anything like the previous 14, then we have to throw everything Manning out the window (for now), focus on Andrew Luck's team and roll with him.

...rant off.

Luck or Manning or any player doesn't "desreve" anything. They will earn it, and work hard at it.

I mean Luck is not a "baby" he is an adult. Luck will be fine and us fans won't hav much to do with it. Irsay and company needs to build a better team moving forward, not just at the QB position.

If Luck gets a hang nail and need to sit out a game, I want to know that the team can still compete, maybe they lose that game but be competitive. No more one trick pony as it is not fair to Luck as it was not fair to Manning.

This notion of rallying around "Luck" why would't Colts fan? Geezz..I rallied for Nick Harper..Tim Jennings..Curtis Painter...Ugoh..Sorgi LOL

It's going to be to be a fun and frustrating few seasons ahead. As a big IU basketball fan for the past 35 years, this is likely to be a similar thing. As much as possible, we need to just enjoy the process and try to be patient. Andrew Luck comes in with the physical tools and is a very smart young man. He's as prepared as a rookie can be, but he's still going to be a rookie. I think he'll end up as our next franchise QB, perhaps even one of the greats. I look forward to our team fixing the absolutely abysmal specials teams we've had for, well ever, and finally having a physical and reilaible defense. The offense will be rebuilt and take a while, but if we can avoid injuries, it has the potential to be special.

We have gone from "Suck for Luck", to "Suck with Luck", at least for the next few years.

Patience IS a virtue... right?

I actually don't think we will be that bad with Luck. I certainly don't expect another first overall pick for the next 15 years. I think we can go 8-8 or so with Luck at QB in his rookie season

I purposefully stayed away from the board yesterday. I took the day off from work and sulked. Watched the press conferences and all of the rigamorole surrounding Manning's departure. And I came away with one major conclusion:

As fans, If we are to support the continuation of success, if we are to support the continuation of the standards that Irsay, Polian, Dungy and Manning set down vis-a-vis a Championship calibre organization, then we have to give Andrew Luck a lot of latitude these first two seasons.

Colts fans are acclimated to our QB being the greatest QB in the history of the game. And with that comes some instinctive expectations with regards to game play, decision making, execution and ultimately victories. But Andrew Luck has nothing to do with our muscle memory, our atmosphere or expectations. He is not Peyton Manning. He is not going to do what Manning did. He may exceed it (as I hope) or he may not. But he is not Peyton Manning.

IMHO He deserves a clean slate. No Manningesque expectations from us as "fans". All cheers. All encouragement (because you know the Krapitz' of the World are gonna open fire at the first loss. Especially if we do not fly out the gate with 10 wins). But we're not Dolphins fans. We're not Raiders fans. We're Colts fans. We've endured some of the worst football teams in the history of the league. So let's stay humble. Let's give this kid all of the support and latitude he needs (from the fans) in these first few years to be succesful. If we want to have the next 14 years look anything like the previous 14, then we have to throw everything Manning out the window (for now), focus on Andrew Luck's team and roll with him.

...rant off.

I'll support him if he's as good as manning or elway. If Luck isn't good, you will be turing on Irsay in a second.

Back to square 1 fellas -- Luck is our quarterback now and Peyton is the enemy.

Luck does deserve something from us. He deserves a fair shot. Think of how he feels -- the pressure that he'll be under, the shoes he's going to have to try to fill -- as fans, let's not make it any harder on him.

I think we should feel good as a fan base to have a big talent coming in, and that more and more QBs coming into the NFL are more pro ready then ever. If Luck has at least half the work ethic of Peyton, I think he could be quite successful. Although I don't think our offense will be anything for another year or two because we are going to lose key players like Saturday, Diem, Wayne, Garcon.

...rant off.

I agree somewhat but wasn't our job to support Caldwell 110%?

We did till he lost games.

of course im gonna support him. im a colts fan, and this is not Lucks fault. It will be ridiculous if fans lash out on him.

however I will miss manning and follow him to whatever team brings him and wish him luck. After all, he is the reason I started paying attention to the nfl, and the reason i grew to become a colts fan.

and please spare me the PM fan vs Colts fan. I'm a colts fan, but you cant expect me to dish out my hero ;) I'll wish him luck.

of course im gonna support him. im a colts fan, and this is not Lucks fault. It will be ridiculous if fans lash out on him.

however I will miss manning and follow him to whatever team brings him and wish him luck. After all, he is the reason I started paying attention to the nfl, and the reason i grew to become a colts fan.

and please spare me the PM fan vs Colts fan. I'm a colts fan, but you cant expect me to dish out my hero ;) I'll wish him luck.

Agree about Manning, but when and if the Colts play Peyton, ANDREW LUCK IS OUR GUY, and Peyton will be gunning for us, so I will personally be hoping that Andrew LIGHTS IT UP and Peyton throws 4 INTs

Agree about Manning, but when and if the Colts play Peyton, ANDREW LUCK IS OUR GUY, and Peyton will be gunning for us, so I will personally be hoping that Andrew LIGHTS IT UP and Peyton throws 4 INTs

i would hope we win but peyton throws for a gazillion yards with 5 TD's...but we still win :)

Why? You support the players and teams you like. If the colts don't resign Peyton Manning and the other quality veterans, then they are not the team that they used to be. Andrew Luck seems like a nice guy, but the colts don't seem like the kind of loyal, respectful, and morally strong organization that they used to be...

And by the way Andrew Luck is in college right now so...

Why? You support the players and teams you like. If the colts don't resign Peyton Manning and the other quality veterans, then they are not the team that they used to be. Andrew Luck seems like a nice guy, but the colts don't seem like the kind of loyal, respectful, and morally strong organization that they used to be...

And by the way Andrew Luck is in college right now so...

Well I'm assuming this was directed at Colts fans. I don't think we're expecting other fan bases to support our future quarterback.

So we start from scratch. I'm in

Not complete scratch on offense we do have the start to what I think could be a good young line. We need a couple more peacea but I think we have three good ones in place. The weapons on offense need to be worked on and I would look for those to be targeted in upcoming drafts.

However luck has something manning didn't have when he came here. A defensive minded coach with some nice defensive peaces in place in angerer Conner Mathis bethea powers and probably Freeney. We have more work to do on defense but I think the shell is there for us to be able to lean on the d a little bit in the next couple of years while we rework the offense.

Not complete scratch on offense we do have the start to what I think could be a good young line. We need a couple more peacea but I think we have three good ones in place. The weapons on offense need to be worked on and I would look for those to be targeted in upcoming drafts.

However luck has something manning didn't have when he came here. A defensive minded coach with some nice defensive peaces in place in angerer Conner Mathis bethea powers and probably Freeney. We have more work to do on defense but I think the shell is there for us to be able to lean on the d a little bit in the next couple of years while we rework the offense.

I felt like we started over this season. Lots of players coming and going. Hard to keep track of who was actually on our team.

I agree though, we have a good start. Maybe a better than good start.

Maybe we'll win some games this year......and maybe we'll be competitive in many games. That would be a nice change of pace.

I'd like to get back to enjoying the Colts games. This year was terribly shy on football fun

I felt like we started over this season. Lots of players coming and going. Hard to keep track of who was actually on our team.

Maybe we'll win some games this year......and maybe we'll be competitive in many games. That would be a nice change of pace.

I'd like to get back to enjoying the Colts games. This year was terribly shy on football fun

oh it's the start of rebuilding I won't argue that. I am just saying we still do have some good players to build with luck. They just aren't of offensive weapons like manning had when he got here.

I'm anxious to see the schedule...

We need a soft opener

We need a good start

I'm anxious to see the schedule...

We need a soft opener

We need a good start

Fair warning Peyton mannings first pro game came against Dan Marino the league might give us someone big to go against just because people will want to see luck and the bigger name equals bigger ratings. With that said we might draw the browns out of the gate to get luck vs rg3 possibly in their first game against one another.

I thought we were the customers.

Why is it our job to support anyone?

It is their job to be supportable.

Depends on your perspective. I grew to love Colts football in the winless years. It was because me and mine were all pulling for them together. We had a lot of fun even though we were losing.

The dream was WIN A GAME

Times like these I turn to my fellow dreamers.

Agree with the title thread and nice rant :thmup:

If we don't support him then he will lose confidence and no QB can develop or can perform well with no confidence. The more confidence the better.

Fair warning Peyton mannings first pro game came against Dan Marino the league might give us someone big to go against just because people will want to see luck and the bigger name equals bigger ratings. With that said we might draw the browns out of the gate to get luck vs rg3 possibly in their first game against one another.

We do host the Browns this coming season, so that's a distinct possibility. However, the latest noise from Cleveland is that they won't be dealing for the No. 2 pick, so that would leave the Redskins as RG3's likely destination. Could be a smokescreen, though.

My immediate focus right now is the March 22 Pro Day for Luck. After reading 14 different scouting reports, I am still unsure as to his arm strength.

I have heard everything from 'decent arm strength' to 'better than Manning'. If he perfoms better than expected ( like he did at the Combine ), then my expectations will be that we will be drafting a 'mobile Manning'.

I will also be watching Grigson closely. He is the key to the future. On the plus side, he has demonstrated a high intensity level when it comes to 'finding starters in every round', and was an excellent scouting department director for the Eagles ( he did not have final say on who they drafted ). On the negative side, he has no experience at cap management. I don't know how that's going to be resolved.

After we draft Luck, I would hope the subsequent picks by the Colts would not be just to fill holes, but to take the best talent available, BUT emphasizing offensive line help and receivers. We must protect Luck first.

Great post and I completely agree, it's time to support our team. Now if things don't turn out well and down the road it turns out the direction needs to change again then we will once again need our voices to be heard. But I believe Irsay wants to build a successful franchise for years to come. There will be growing pains, but the worst thing we can do is make it even harder on our next QB than it already will be forced to fill Manning's shoes. The fact is, he doesn't even have to be as good as Manning for this team to be successful, he just needs to help win games. Hopefully this team is built right this time around as an all around good team. Better defense, better special teams, and just as much better coaching. It will be a rough ride for a bit, but we will have to endure it and in the end it will hopefully pay off. Every team has to go through it, it's a fact of life, and our time was coming. Now it's time to prove we are better fans than everyone thinks and prove the naysayers wrong. To prove that we are real fans and weren't just visiting for the years Peyton was here. I am sick of Kravitz, ESPN, Bears fans and the rest of them saying we aren't real fans and once Peyton leaves this team is done for. Don't let them win, don't buy into the media hype and don't give up!

My immediate focus right now is the March 22 Pro Day for Luck. After reading 14 different scouting reports, I am still unsure as to his arm strength.

I have heard everything from 'decent arm strength' to 'better than Manning'. If he perfoms better than expected ( like he did at the Combine ), then my expectations will be that we will be drafting a 'mobile Manning'.

I see Luck very similar to Manning in his preparation for games, his reading the defense, his audibling to change the play at the line.

However, from a purely physical perspective, I see Luck more like Rodgers in his quick release, and his mobility.