Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we be better than a 1&4 team at this point?

horseshoecrabs

We have had a lot of close games in the early  going. The question is can we get over the hump, and win at least the next 3  games?  I think we CAN!

We need to get our guys off the injured reserved.  We have a chance to prove that we are a team on the up swing. It wont be easy but I think we can still show the NFL that we are  a team that is going to survive this season and not pack it in yet. We still have some talent and the fortitude to persevere this season.  So have faith my fellow Colts fans. We have to be positive in his less than perfect cards that we are dealt. Let's not bicker about what we don't have this season and come together with blind faith for at least this season  and  hope for the best. 

• Like 2

Probably, yeah. 

I'd much rather be this kind of 1-4 team though , than a complete mess like the Raiders. We're really not that far off and we're one of the youngest teams in the league with a fantastic cap situation. 

Yet, when it comes to draft position , the league looks at us as equals. That couldn't be further from the truth, imo. 

Works for me. Give Ballard that high pick so we can really build this thing. Our kids are getting better by the day. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1-4 would say we stink but anyone that watches our team closely like we all do in here knows we could easily be 3-2, if not 4-1.

You do realize that’s football right? Every team could say well if this fumble didn’t happen, or we didn’t throw that interception, etc etc.

Good teams find a way to win football games. Bad teams lose close games.

We could very easily end up 1-6 after our next two games. I mean surely we will win some more games, but with the talent on the roster and the injuries stacking up, I can’t confidently say we will beat anyone week to week. Maybe the Raiders, maybe the Giants, maybe the Cowboys. That’s about as good as it gets for me. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

You do realize that’s football right? Every team could say well if this fumble didn’t happen, or we didn’t throw that interception, etc etc.

We could very easily end up 1-6 after our next two games. I mean surely we will win some more games, but with the talent on the roster and the injuries stacking up, I can’t confidently say we will beat anyone week to week. Maybe the Raiders, maybe the Giants, maybe the Cowboys. That’s about as good as it gets for me. 

We may only end up with 5 or 6 wins but the future looks bright anyway with Luck looking healthy and our team is young as well. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We may only end up with 5 or 6 wins but the future looks bright anyway with Luck looking healthy and our team is young as well. 

I agree with that 100% but as far as this season goes, I’m just not gonna get my hopes up and would love to be wrong. On the bright side though...picking top 5 in the draft one more year wouldn’t be bad for this roster.

The Colts with Luck playing have always gotten a monumental upset when they were in the sights of the death blow. I'll say that much. I haven't seen a Colts game yet but they have to be doing better than the Falcons and Redskins. 

I just looked at the schedule and they really don't even have a potential monumental upset left! Obviously the Jags would be an upset but not exactly 0fer vs undefeated level. The good news about that is that they have all winnable games left.

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

I can't buy that generalization, no offense. 

Week 1 - The Saints lose 48 - 40 to the Bucs

The Bears lose 24 - 23 to the Pack

Week 2 - The Vikings tie the Packers 29 - 29

Week 4 - The Vikings lose 38 - 31 to the Rams     

Personally, I could not call those teams bad.      

• Like 1

I like Reich’s emphasis on being 1-0. Beat the Jets. 

I don’t think anybody in that locker room is thinking “just wait until next year”.

Some fans (and “analysts”) tend to focus on lack of talent, without regard to asking if things are correctable or not. The Colts are a young team and inexperience comes into play, as well. 

The division is still within their reach but things (like getting healthy) are going to have to fall into place. 

I think if the Colts do the following, they should be better than 1&4 

1) Learn how to successfully execute and defend a screen pass 

2) Stop running Hines up the middle and give him and Wilkins/Turbin equal carries 

3) Can we get some wheel routes, bootlegs, QB rollouts? 

4) Play less zone and play more man coverage 

5) Next time pay the refs more than Philly paid them 

6) REPLACE INDY WATER WITH MILK 

5 and 6 are sort of jokes, but kinda not. 

The Jets and Raiders are possible wins, but the rest could easily be losses. A 3-13 season isn't out of the question at this point, especially with all of the injuries. The good news is that the Colts will be drafting early and have a crap-ton of cap money available. The bad news is that the 2017 draft isn't looking so good right now, and it's gonna take more time to rebuild.

• Like 1

I'm not really looking at the record. I'm looking at the things we must fix in order to obtain a better record.  Run game and catching the football is what needs to be improved the most along with executing in the red zone.   Those are the things that the good teams do well.  If we stay status quo we aren't going anywhere.  I think we can get it improved and when that happens I expect us to beat some people consecutively.

I think it’s always foolish to get into this debate. Is a team better than their record? This forum has been down this slope before. Where every loss that is “close” turns into how we easily could’ve won that game. That’s a loser’s mentality though. Most NFL games are close. There’s maybe 1 or 2 blowout games a week. Just because we’re not getting blown out, doesn’t mean we’re “close”. By that definition the Browns have been close for years.

Once you start going back and breaking down each play and drafting up what is essentially a fan fiction of how if “X, Y, and Z happened we would’ve won”, you’ve become an apologist. The Colts are exactly what their record says. A 1-4 team. Whether it’s the youth, injuries, drops, or inability to run the ball, the Colts aren’t a good football team capable of winning a lot of football games. They will likely finish under .500 again. And that’s okay. They are rebuilding, its expected. But let’s not start playing should’ve, could’ve, would’ve. Hindsight is 20/20.

13 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I can't buy that generalization, no offense. 

Week 1 - The Saints lose 48 - 40 to the Bucs

The Bears lose 24 - 23 to the Pack

Week 2 - The Vikings tie the Packers 29 - 29

Week 4 - The Vikings lose 38 - 31 to the Rams     

Personally, I could not call those teams bad.      

None taken. I never once said good teams wouldn’t lose or bad teams wouldn’t win. 

Your Vikings example doesn’t really work. The Rams are one of, if not the best, teams in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers is one of, if not the best QB in the NFL. You should of used the Vikings Bills game to prove your point, but again I never said good teams wouldn’t lose.

Of course it’s a generalization and not a rule. But every week we are talking about how close we came to winning...and that is how the NFL works. It just about always comes down to a couple plays. The good teams make the plays needed to win more times than not. The bad teams make the crucial mistakes to lose more times than not.  I don’t really think this is breaking news or a hot take. 

Man if he doesn’t fumble we win the game. Man if the defense could of kept them out  of the end zone we could of won that game. Man if we hit that field goal we win the game. If we don’t throw that interception in the end zone we could of scored and won the game.

These are all things fans of losing teams say. 

• Like 1