Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rebuilding Mode

rabidfan77

Do we focus on offense these next two years or defense, personally I think we go offense and give Luck as much help as Peyton had early on. I think behind the O-line he would get killed and with collie the only good WR on the roster who will he throw to? With that said I hope the FO ignores me and goes with a balanced approach rebuilding both the offense and defense over the next few years.

I agree - I hope this year we say, >>> it, let's take receivers and O-liners. We'll do crap but I don't care - we did crap in Manning's first season. Give Luck all the help he can get, because we're not turning the GOAT's replacement into David Carr.

They say a QB's best friend is a good defense and solid running game. With that said, Sam Bradford showed us what a talented QB could become if he is not given good weapons. Gotta find a balance between the two

The rams O-line was pretty awful in pass protection too. But having cardboard cutouts for WRs didnt help for sure.

The last thing I want to be is the Ravens. A team that can not score with an offense that tries to not LOSE games.

Arians likes balance on offense so I dont think you'll have to worry about that. The team will probably run the ball more early on to protect Luck though.

I never know why teams can't have the best of both worlds on offense and D. I think we have a great oppurtunity to do just that, with Luck as our QB and Pagano heading the Defense. A defense that attacks and get turnovers and flat out dominates the other team (Ravens). and a cerebral like offense (Colts). I know there is the salary cap deal but still..

We should pick the best players we can find in the draft regardless of position and fill in with the best FAs we can get under the salary cap. We should be able to afford at least 2 and maybe 3 FAs. In a deep draft we could actually get 3 or 4 undrafted FAs to make the team also. On offense we currently have 2 decent FBs to aid the running game. If we could sign Grubbs at G and draft a speed receiver we should be okay on offense. We have the players needed now to run a 4-3 defense except maybe a CB. If Rucker develops at CB we would be okay. We need a big nasty NT to play a 3-4 hybrid. An 8-8 season is possible this year with a couple of players added. Playoffs are possible if we could grab 4-5 FAs and Garcon stays at WR.

We should pick the best players we can find in the draft regardless of position and fill in with the best FAs we can get under the salary cap. We should be able to afford at least 2 and maybe 3 FAs. In a deep draft we could actually get 3 or 4 undrafted FAs to make the team also. On offense we currently have 2 decent FBs to aid the running game. If we could sign Grubbs at G and draft a speed receiver we should be okay on offense. We have the players needed now to run a 4-3 defense except maybe a CB. If Rucker develops at CB we would be okay. We need a big nasty NT to play a 3-4 hybrid. An 8-8 season is possible this year with a couple of players added. Playoffs are possible if we could grab 4-5 FAs and Garcon stays at WR.

Fullbacks are taking up roster space in this day and age. Good tight ends are where everyone is headed.

Fullbacks are taking up roster space in this day and age. Good tight ends are where everyone is headed.

They dont take up roster space if a team wants a balanced offense. Clark and Tamme have been good receivers but below average blockers. Pagano wants a more balanced offense.

They dont take up roster space if a team wants a balanced offense. Clark and Tamme have been good receivers but below average blockers. Pagano wants a more balanced offense.

Clark and Tamme are not what we need. We need a Gronkowski type.

I think the colts should go more offensive in the draft and defensive in free agency. I think rounds 1,2,4,and 6 offense. Need to protect Luck and give him weapons he can grow with. For defense, bring in some lower priced vets who have actually played in a 3-4. If we take our vets (who will be rookies in the 3-4) and pair them with some quality vets (like OLB JJ) to learn the system, could see some good results.

I think the whole point of the firing of the Polians, Caldwell and staff, and the release of Manning is to not be the same team we have been for yrs. Thats a team built around 1 guy on offense and a defense that has stunk for yrs.. I doubt there will be a focus on either side and instead focus on building an all around balanced team.

Personally I think they need to have a balanced draft in regards to O and D. They definitely need to protect Luck with the O Line, but they also need to draft some big bodies on D for that 3-4 D they plan to run. I would look for them to grab 1 WR early and spend the majority of the rest of the pics on the O and D lines.

I also wouldnt be surprised if we looked at some UDFAs to see if we can find a diamond in the rough.

Its going to take a couple years to get all the pieces in place but this draft should put the major pieces in place.

My fear of being a 'rebuilding' team is that some teams never get out of that mode. I've given this example before but the Rams will have three #2 picks and a #1 in the last five years. They are certainly not 'rebuilt'. Their best year during that run was more of a factor of their division being so bad than them being very good.

I believe there are two models for sustaining successful franchises in the NFL, the Steeler and the Patriots. And basically they're a lot alike. Great coaching, few superstars, few 'we can't win without him' type players.

The Colts model can only work if you have a Peyton.

With this rebuilding mode, I think you have to go with the best available when your pick comes around. We have several areas that need to be addressed so your focus needs to be on talent regardless of the position. As far as free agency goes we need to go after guys that also give us a long term solution. I think we need to stay away from costly vets and attempt to gain those fa's that are going to fit our new scheme.

can't get our franchise qb killed in first season. i would recommend he wear one of those braces that manning wears on the exposed knee (left knee). Seriously, Elway wore one which is how Manning got the idea I believe. It saved Manning's leg more than a few dozen times.

I think the whole point of the firing of the Polians, Caldwell and staff, and the release of Manning is to not be the same team we have been for yrs. Thats a team built around 1 guy on offense and a defense that has stunk for yrs.. I doubt there will be a focus on either side and instead focus on building an all around balanced team.

I agree. Polian was so focused on Peyton and what PM wanted, he just did not emphasize defensive needs enough. LB's were a revolving door, and the secondary took what ever was left over. Drafting those 270 DT's was nuts.

This rebuilding is gonna be a complete overhaul. Looking forward to what the future holds.

You would need two to run the 2 TE set and that is not easy to find. Also a FB helps you pinpoint running lanes anywhere on the offensive line whereas a TE can only do that if you move him to the backfield. A good FB can also line up as a second TE or basically almost any place.

can't get our franchise qb killed in first season. i would recommend he wear one of those braces that manning wears on the exposed knee (left knee). Seriously, Elway wore one which is how Manning got the idea I believe. It saved Manning's leg more than a few dozen times.

Luck already wears one.

All Jim Harbaugh coached QBs wear one on their plant legs.

This includes Andrew Luck.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/4485-andrew-lucks-knee-merge/

There are 3 available in this upcoming draft:

1) Coby Fleener, 6'6" 247lbs, Stanford (was one of Luck's favorite targets, and reportedly one of the fastest receivers on the team)

2) Dwayne Allen, 6'3", 255lbs, Clemson

3) Orson Charles, 6'2", 251lbs., Georgia

Here is a short on Fleener after catching the ball, dragging a defender about 7 yards into the endzone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqae9jTGjjA

We can't have Luck getting killed because the O-Line stinks and no receivers can get open. Sign a good OG like Evan Mathis, Jake Scott or Ben Grubbs if you can, and get some WRs via draft or FA. Pagano will have to work with what he's got on defense this year, but once our offense is set I want us to go all out on defense.

There are 3 available in this upcoming draft:

1) Coby Fleener, 6'6" 247lbs, Stanford (was one of Luck's favorite targets, and reportedly one of the fastest receivers on the team)

2) Dwayne Allen, 6'3", 255lbs, Clemson

3) Orson Charles, 6'2", 251lbs., Georgia

Hoping any of these 3 are the 2nd round pick. I keep going back and fourth on who will be the best pro and who I want....

Does anyone else feel like we're an expansion team in terms of talent.

We can't have Luck getting killed because the O-Line stinks and no receivers can get open. Sign a good OG like Evan Mathis, Jake Scott or Ben Grubbs if you can, and get some WRs via draft or FA. Pagano will have to work with what he's got on defense this year, but once our offense is set I want us to go all out on defense.

I think we'll soon be gettting a really good glimpse at the kind of eye Grigson has for talent.

With 9 picks in the draft, and some room to go after some FAs, I'm like you: I hope to see OLine holes filled through free agency. However, I think the team can survive with a primarily "dink and dunk" passing game for a year, and the primary goals ought to be to keep Luck upright and to really focus on the run game for a while. I think this is achievable with Collie, Clark, Tamme, White, and Gonzo, so unless a gem falls to the Colts in the draft, or some bargain FA lands in their lap, I think Grigson would do better to focus the draft on bolstering the lines and the defensive backfield.

I believe we have to go offense to help with Lucks development, we still have good players on the defensive side of the ball like Mathis, Freeney, Angerer, Powers, and Bethea. And who do we have on offense right now? Brown, Clark, Collie is about it, we need more weapons and let Pagano/Manusky teach the defense

QB - Andrew Luck (round 1 2012 draft)

WR1 - V. Jackson (Chargers) - Trade Freeney (the chargers need a pass rush now)

WR2 - P Garcon

WR3 - A Collie

WR4 - B White

RB1 - D Brown (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RB2 - D Carter

FB - Gronkowski - lead blocker in running situations with D Brown

TE - J Tamme (address another in 2013 draft)

LT - Castonzo

LG - Ijalana

C - Saturday (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RG - Diem (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RT - Linkenbach

LDE - Mathis (in 4-3 defense) LLB in 3-4 defense

DT - Moala (address replacement in 2012 draft round 2)

DT - Johnson (address replacement in 2012 draft round 5)

RDE - Hughes

LLB - Mathis (in 3-4 defense)

RLB - M Williams (Houston) - Trade Wayne (in 4-3 defense and RLB in 3-4 defense) (Houston needs another experienced receiver)

MLB - Angerer

WLB - Connor (in 3-4 defense) (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RLB - Simms (in 4-3 defense and MLB in 3-4 defense) (replacement in 2013 draft)

LCB - Lacey (address replacement in 2012 draft round 3)

SS - Caldwell (address replacement in 2012 draft round 4)

FS - Bethea

RCB - Rucker (address replacement in 2012 draft round 6)

I don't think they are going to be that bad this year and even better in 2013. What do you think of my plan?

QB - Andrew Luck (round 1 2012 draft)

WR1 - V. Jackson (Chargers) - Trade Freeney (the chargers need a pass rush now)

WR2 - P Garcon

WR3 - A Collie

WR4 - B White

RB1 - D Brown (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RB2 - D Carter

FB - Gronkowski - lead blocker in running situations with D Brown

TE - J Tamme (address another in 2013 draft)

LT - Castonzo

LG - Ijalana

C - Saturday (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RG - Diem (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RT - Linkenbach

LDE - Mathis (in 4-3 defense) LLB in 3-4 defense

DT - Moala (address replacement in 2012 draft round 2)

DT - Johnson (address replacement in 2012 draft round 5)

RDE - Hughes

LLB - Mathis (in 3-4 defense)

RLB - M Williams (Houston) - Trade Wayne (in 4-3 defense and RLB in 3-4 defense) (Houston needs another experienced receiver)

MLB - Angerer

WLB - Connor (in 3-4 defense) (address replacement in 2013 draft)

RLB - Simms (in 4-3 defense and MLB in 3-4 defense) (replacement in 2013 draft)

LCB - Lacey (address replacement in 2012 draft round 3)

SS - Caldwell (address replacement in 2012 draft round 4)

FS - Bethea

RCB - Rucker (address replacement in 2012 draft round 6)

I don't think they are going to be that bad this year and even better in 2013. What do you think of my plan?

If we get Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson that would be quite an off season. I would take just one of them. I posted in another thread how we should go after Jackson.

I never know why teams can't have the best of both worlds on offense and D. I think we have a great oppurtunity to do just that, with Luck as our QB and Pagano heading the Defense. A defense that attacks and get turnovers and flat out dominates the other team (Ravens). and a cerebral like offense (Colts). I know there is the salary cap deal but still..

Actually the "Decision" put the team after this year on course to be well under the salary cap for 2013 and combine that with a new rookie wage scale will allow us to contend again in the next 2-3 yrs we just need great drafting again, this is where Grigson shows us what he's made of. Although it's not being talked about the new rookie wage scale will revolutionize the NFL by making it much more equal now and allowing low level teams to actually compete against the league's powerhouse franchise's. It use to be the top pick was both a blessing and curse because if a team missed on a franchise qb (Jamacus Russell/Raiders) it set the franchise back for years with the massive contracts given to top picks, but now it's solely an advantage. Lets say worse case Luck bombs and is a miss the colts don't have to sign a massive contract and can just pick another qb and try again. That will allow franchise's to put teams together quicker and increase the level of competition around the league meaning every team will have a shot at the Superbowl. This will make the role of a successful Front office even more important, which is why the Polian's were fired in the 1st place, call Irsay what you want but the man is no fool he has a chance to rebuild his franchise quicker with a Peyton Manning caliber "can't miss" qb sitting in front of him at the draft this year and he's taking it. Though I'm mad about Peyton's release I take comfort in knowing the franchise has a chance to avoid decades of losing, which normally happens after franchise qb's retire if a good replacement isn't in place, just ask dolphins, broncos, bills, raiders, redskins, and 49ers fans how long they have been waiting for a qb cardinals don't count because Warner's only been gone for a few years & the clock reset on them after he started playing lights out lol.

Really? The Colts D equivalent to the Ravens D? Another Nagta, Lewis, Suggs, Reed. Don't even say a Colt player compares to any of them.

Where did I say anything about the Colts D being equivalent to the Ravens D? Hello can you read? OP suggested what should we focus on the next coming seasons and I said address defense to have a ravens caliber D. Not take the current players we have and turn them into a Ravens caliber D.