Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Write Up on Kemoko Turay

PeterBowman

Who the heck is Robert Mathis from Alabama A & M, and Bethea from Howard? A lot of us thought that when they were drafted too.  :) 

You could tell within a year or two what they were capable of. Normally, a player that is a system fit starts producing within 2 years, IMO, if they have a high ceiling for the system. Hopefully Turay is that for our defense at DE, just like Leonard is for the WILL.

If Turay produces, Braden Smith will be the only one from Round 2 waiting in the wings to show us what he can do (fingers crossed based on what I have seen so far). We already know we have a gem in Leonard.

• Like 2

I knew nothing about Turay before the draft.  But so far he seems like a decent draft pick.  I like his explosion off the snap, I like his body control.  He needs to get better hand play but that will come with time if he's willing to put in the work which it seems like he is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Who the heck is Robert Mathis from Alabama A & M, and Bethea from Howard? A lot of us thought that when they were drafted too.  :) 

You could tell within a year or two what they were capable of. Normally, a player that is a system fit starts producing within 2 years, IMO, if they have a high ceiling for the system. Hopefully Turay is that for our defense at DE, just like Leonard is for the WILL.

If Turay produces, Braden Smith will be the only one from Round 2 waiting in the wings to show us what he can do (fingers crossed based on what I have seen so far). We already know we have a gem in Leonard.

Don't forget about Tyquan Lewis too....hope his foot heals up.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Tyquan Lewis as well. Hopefully he can come back this year but that D-Line is crowded.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/10/3/17930398/film-room-rookie-de-kemoko-turay-impressing-early

Got some work to do but, Colts could have another gem on defense if he's able to put it together.

Has more sacks than Chubb too....

Watch Turay end up being the best edge rusher in this class when all is said & done.

• Like 1

We desperately need playmakers on defense to go along with Leonard so hopefully Turay provides that. 

This team HAS young talent on defense (Turay, Leonard, Walker, Hooker, Lewis, Wilson) Now we need Eberflus to get these players to develop and progress and put them in the best situation to make plays. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We desperately need playmakers on defense to go along with Leonard so hopefully Turay provides that. 

This team HAS young talent on defense (Turay, Leonard, Walker, Hooker, Lewis, Wilson) Now we need Eberflus to get these players to develop and progress and put them in the best situation to make plays. 

Ballard needs to keep sprinkling in the Sheard, Hunt and Autry-type FAs, too.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I knew nothing about Turay before the draft.  But so far he seems like a decent draft pick.  I like his explosion off the snap, I like his body control.  He needs to get better hand play but that will come with time if he's willing to put in the work which it seems like he is.

I absolutely love the bend and speed he comes off the edge with. I would love to see 10 clips of Mathis and Turay coming off the edge to show their similarities of play. I really love to see Turay bend. I think he will become the Mathis player of the 2019 and beyond for us. If only we can get some better corner players now for the backfield. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

I absolutely love the bend and speed he comes off the edge with. I would love to see 10 clips of Mathis and Turay coming off the edge to show their similarities of play. I really love to see Turay bend. I think he will become the Mathis player of the 2019 and beyond for us. If only we can get some better corner players now for the backfield. 

That is too much information there Jdubu. :D

I do disagree about the corners though.  Overall I think the corners have been doing a very good job.  Where the Colts are getting burned (for the most part) is between the hashes and in the soft spot between the corner's zone and the safety's zone.  it is the downside of a cover 2 type D, if the rush does not get to the QB (or in the case of Watson, the QB is able to extend the play by rolling left or right) that gives that receiver time to get to spot at the far edges of the zones.  If the safety comes up too fast then it's there is a WR open between the hashes.  If the safety stays back to cover the receiver between the hashes then a receiver is open near the sideline.  Add to that, what Houston did was they sent a TE or RB out to the shallow part of the CB zone to hold the CB there.  So if the CB drops back to stay with the receiver then it's an easy dump off to the TE/RB.

32 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Ballard certainly has the ammo to get plenty of help for this team in the offseason with the most cap space in the league and plenty of draft picks. I for one hope he takes full advantage of those assets, while being wise about it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Smith will be the ONLY one?

How about Tyquan Lewis?     Hasn’t played an NFL regular season snap and it’s not 100 percent sure he’ll play this year...

Just sayin...

What this team has had the last couple years in pass rush was power, and veteran savvy.  What has been sorely lacking is straight speed.  Turay has that.  Leonard does as well when he blitzes. But Teams like NE will run directly at speed on 3rd down.  That's how they dealt with Freeney, delayed hand-off's right at the hole he left coming outside the edge.  He'll have to play in control, and recognize delays immediately, or tonight, NE will post 250 yards on us in the ground game. (or have a rb spy at all times)

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Smith will be the ONLY one?

How about Tyquan Lewis?     Hasn’t played an NFL regular season snap and it’s not 100 percent sure he’ll play this year...

Just sayin...

Oh yeah, I forgot we had 4 second rounders, he seems like the forgotten one. :) 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No worries...     He's easy to overlook....

Except if you Chris Ballard.     He gave an interview on Colts.com this week...   among the topics he touched on...    Lewis...    and how Ballard HOPES he will be back active with the team by the bye week which is four more weeks.      Ballard sounded............   cautious.    Didn't want to sound too encouraging...    but he seems to REALLY like the kid.     I hope we get to see him play this year.    Ballard seems very high on him...     Toe and feet injuries are often....   weird...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Easy done Chad.

There have been times I have forgetten about our 1st Round picks. You know, Gonzales, Brown, Hughes, Werner, Dorsett etc. And our trades of Ugoh and TRich. Forgetting about a second rounder who has not played a snap is small change in comparison.

But don't do it again!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

So we might have our Mathis (Turay) with the speed and bend, now we need our Freeney with the speed and unstoppable spin move. 

Freeney had the bulk to bull rush, I don't think Mathis tried that as much, for good reason. Mathis eventually learnt and mastered the spin move from Freeney as well. 

Clelin Ferrell would be the ideal 4-3 DE for us, along the lines of Freeney, but I doubt we will stink that bad to land him. Joe Jackson of Miami would be the next closest to that body type. Montez Sweat is better than Joe Jackson but would be more along the lines of Mathis too. We will see where our draft position lands.

• Like 1

I agree that this is an excellent article. Amazing how fast the game is played at the NFL level.

Turay's all out rush up the field that creates a vulnerability against the run is reminiscent of Freeney.  DF was burned repeatedly on draw plays that ran to the area left unprotected by his outside rush. But Freeney always had this problem. Turay is just starting out and is extremely raw. Give him time and more strength and we'll see how he does against the run. But there is no doubt that he has the special pass rushing skill set. Give Ballard some serious kudos for this pick. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Freeney had the bulk to bull rush, I don't think Mathis tried that as much, for good reason. Mathis eventually learnt and mastered the spin move from Freeney as well. 

Clelin Ferrell would be the ideal 4-3 DE for us, along the lines of Freeney, but I doubt we will stink that bad to land him. Joe Jackson of Miami would be the next closest to that body type. Montez Sweat is better than Joe Jackson but would be more along the lines of Mathis too. We will see where our draft position lands.

I get the feeling Ballard envisions the DE rotation differently than Polian did, and if Turay starts to shine, I'm not sure we would use a high pick on a DE in 2019.  

What we're getting now is ideal.  We're not just getting sacks/pressure off the edge, as with Freeney and Mathis.  We're getting it across the front, and they always have to be thinking about Leonard.

35 minutes ago, #12. said:

I get the feeling Ballard envisions the DE rotation differently than Polian did, and if Turay starts to shine, I'm not sure we would use a high pick on a DE in 2019.  

What we're getting now is ideal.  We're not just getting sacks/pressure off the edge, as with Freeney and Mathis.  We're getting it across the front, and they always have to be thinking about Leonard.

True, shortest path to the QB is down the middle, so pocket pushing DTs could be the way other than of course bringing the heat from the WILL position. However, if you plan to rush only four most of the time, at some point, a DE beating 1-on-1s becomes a bigger factor than the occasional fear of bringing more than four, which is when Leonard becomes a factor. 

The stunts is what makes our trenches more effective in the pass rush, and sooner than later, teams will catch on if we cannot win 1-on-1s and have to use stunts all the time. Of course, the secondary, by holding the fort for 3-4 seconds, can help out as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The stunts is what makes our trenches more effective in the pass rush, and sooner than later, teams will catch on if we cannot win 1-on-1s and have to use stunts all the time. Of course, the secondary, by holding the fort for 3-4 seconds, can help out as well.

I am surprised at how fast Hunt and Sheard get around each other. This is something the previous defense did not seem to execute well. This defensive line seems way faster than 3 years ago. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The stunts is what makes our trenches more effective in the pass rush, and sooner than later, teams will catch on if we cannot win 1-on-1s and have to use stunts 

Yeah, I heard Venturi say that after the Washington game, but not sure I agree with it entirely.  Off the top of my head, I can remember plenty of 1 on 1s we've won.  That might have been true in the Washington game, but overall I'm not sure it is.  And it's not like we've never run a line stunt prior to 2018.