Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the Colts would ever go all in?

bap1331

With so much cap space, lets say there are big names on defense or offense, would Ballard give them a big contract to go all in or would he just build with what he has. I am not a big fan of teams going all in. I would be disappointed if he would have given Khalil Mack or decides to give Laveon big money. We all know what the big impact is when one player gets a big contract, everyone on the team wants to get paid too. Also agents will come hungry to bring overpriced players to the Colts. Think about the consequences, dont do it Ballard!

"You want to raise your own. We want to be a great drafting team. We want to have a sound structure and foundation in place where we're producing players every year for the Colts. You have to. You have to produce three or four guys that are going to help you every single year.

Now saying that, between street free agents, between waiver claims, we'll get into free agency a little bit, but we will not - like I said earlier, you can't buy a locker room, and you have to be very careful when you enter into free agency"  - CB at his introductory press conference. 

Anyone expecting big acquisitions any time soon is going to be disappointed, but I think he'll pay when he thinks it will take the Colts over the hump. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

With so much cap space, lets say there are big names on defense or offense, would Ballard give them a big contract to go all in or would he just build with what he has. I am not a big fan of teams going all in. I would be disappointed if he would have given Khalil Mack or decides to give Laveon big money. We all know what the big impact is when one player gets a big contract, everyone on the team wants to get paid too. Also agents will come hungry to bring overpriced players to the Colts. Think about the consequences, dont do it Ballard!

Only if we were in legitimate SB contention is if I can see a big FA splash. 

I'm hoping free agents are much more attracted to come to the Colts next offseason after a successful year from Andrew Luck. 

We need to bring in some key name players in my opinion to go along with the 2019 draft class, which should mostly be spent on defense. 

A few guys I really like are RB Tevin Coleman, RT Daryl Williams, and LB Kwon Alexander. 

People forget Ballard was quite active in the FA in his first year. Signed quite a number of players like Sheard, Simon, Hunt, Hankins, Fairley, Aiken but none to big long term contracts. I think this will continue to be the case. He will plug holes with solid vets on moderately priced short term deals until he gets the opportunity to draft someone in. That was the plan again this year with Slauson, Najee Goode and supposedly Austin Howard but he was terrible. The only piece I think he might have signed for a decent contract for long term productively is Ebron, but still it was only a two year deal and we have Doyle on good money too.

I think there might be a change in approach in that now its going to be the 3rd season for him, and measurable progress needs to be seen. Also he has loads of cap space. I think he might stretch and pay long for a quality, young player for good money if he will have a marked improvement on the team. 

I think he would if he had Jim's blessing on the specific player(s) or if we were close to winning it all.

If he has all that cash next year and doesn't get a Norwell or Suh type player, then I have no idea what his plan is..

Not to go off topic, but it's naive to think we'd be super bowl/deep run ready after being in the to 5 of the draft. We still don't have our new Reggie, Freeney, Mathis etc.. Gotta get some more drafted good players before going all in on buying them.

47 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm hoping free agents are much more attracted to come to the Colts next offseason after a successful year from Andrew Luck. 

We need to bring in some key name players in my opinion to go along with the 2019 draft class, which should mostly be spent on defense. 

A few guys I really like are RB Tevin Coleman, RT Daryl Williams, and LB Kwon Alexander. 

would be nice to bring Coleman back to Indy. Kinda like the pacers did with oladipo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Bap.....

I don't see many posters in this thread....   so I'm going to let you in on a little secret secure in the knowledge that if I post it here,  few will read it.

Ready?

I'm best friends with Chris Ballard.     We talk every week.    And here's what he tells me.....

That winning is highly over-rated.    That talk of the Super Bowl and making the playoffs is also over-rated. 

What Chris wants to do is build.    And rebuild.     And build some more.     And once he's done all that,  he'll tear it all down and build it again.

And Irsay is OK with this,  because we're roughly 50 Million under the cap and he's saving tons of money.      Money that Ballard is never going to spend.    And when I say never I mean EVER!

So, there's your answer.    Ballard is never, EVER going to go "all in."     Not going to happen.

By the way,  he says ever since he came to the Colts all the buzz inside the complex is about Harambi....     Chris says he doesn't know who this player is, he's checked his file,  but he can't find the name anywhere.     But everone inside seems down an depressed over Harambi.

Sad.

But,  there you go!     Your answer is.....   no.     Never.      Ever.

Hope that helps!         :thmup:

P.S. --  this post is just between you and me.    Please don't let my secret become public knowledge.    Thanks!       :peek:

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bap.....

I don't see many posters in this thread....   so I'm going to let you in on a little secret secure in the knowledge that if I post it here,  few will read it.

Ready?

I'm best friends with Chris Ballard.     We talk every week.    And here's what he tells me.....

That winning is highly over-rated.    That talk of the Super Bowl and making the playoffs is also over-rated. 

What Chris wants to do is build.    And rebuild.     And build some more.     And once he's done all that,  he'll tear it all down and build it again.

And Irsay is OK with this,  because we're roughly 50 Million under the cap and he's saving tons of money.      Money that Ballard is never going to spend.    And when I say never I mean EVER!

So, there's your answer.    Ballard is never, EVER going to go "all in."     Not going to happen.

By the way,  he says ever since he came to the Colts all the buzz inside the complex is about Harambi....     Chris says he doesn't know who this player is, he's checked his file,  but he can't find the name anywhere.     But everone inside seems down an depressed over Harambi.

Sad.

P.S. --  this post is just between you and me.    Please don't let my secret become public knowledge.    Thanks!       :peek:

Harambi? It's 2018...

• Like 1

Maybe, But not this year.  And He'll let these players play out this year to see where we need help first.  1 game into the season is no time to freak out. We may not need a RB. 1 might step up and grow.  Same with all the other positions.  After this season is over, then we might see a mid tier signing, IF it is actually beneficial to what Ballard has envisioned for his team.

If by all in you mean signing that one or two pieces that take a young playoff bound roster to Super Bowl contender, then yes. Doubt it happens until the 2020 off-season though.

Next year is year 3 of building the foundation, so to speak, and we currently have all 7 of our picks, the Jets 2nd round pick and its been suggested that we'll be receiving a 4th round compensatory pick. So that makes 9 more picks (with 6 in the first 4 rounds) for Ballard to work with.

That is not counting if a team overwhelms Ballard with an offer of draft pick(s) for Brissett this off-season. I personally think he'll pull the trigger on a trade and sign a more veteran back-up.

Building a team polar opposite of previous regimes isn't getting

Ballard any love. He is going to be choosey on who gets paid what

because the locker room is watching every move.

If you pay player X big money and he doesn't perform as well

as the player next to him, then you get a locker room full

of disgruntled guys.

Ballard will pay the players within the organization that are proven

to deserve a big contract. It's a gamble paying for guys you haven't

been around and watched closely.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fat Clemenza said:

"You want to raise your own. We want to be a great drafting team. We want to have a sound structure and foundation in place where we're producing players every year for the Colts. You have to. You have to produce three or four guys that are going to help you every single year.

Now saying that, between street free agents, between waiver claims, we'll get into free agency a little bit, but we will not - like I said earlier, you can't buy a locker room, and you have to be very careful when you enter into free agency"  - CB at his introductory press conference. 

Anyone expecting big acquisitions any time soon is going to be disappointed, but I think he'll pay when he thinks it will take the Colts over the hump. 

Well

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bap.....

Ready?

Sad.

Were you good friends with Harambe? What were his last words?

28 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Well

Were you good friends with Harambe? What were his last words?

His next to the last words were....

”Rose bud.”   (You may not be old enough to understand that one.)

But his last words were.....

“Go Colts!   But never go all in!”

I think Ballard took those to heart!