Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Speaks......

TKnight24

Thank you @TKnight24 for these updates. It's always good to hear from the GM to get a better understanding for why he made the decisions that he did.

Regarding Simon, it appears that he wanted to give him every opportunity to make it work and it just didn't. Simon performed well, due to hustle, but wasn't a natural fit -- which is what Ballard was hoping for.

Delaire performed well in the preseason, but appears that he liked Muhammad better. There's hope that Delaire will be on the Colts PS.

At least Ballard come out and discussed the cuts. If you like what he had too say or not he had the class to come out and answer the tough questions.

This will be a very young team and having patience is imperative. If not, then it will be a long tough road for those who don't.

• Like 9

If this had been Ryan Grigson, we would hear from the HC while he hid in Irsay's office. 

Kudos to Ballard for repeatedly being approachable and open to the media. His message is consistent. This was a scheme fit, and he isn't wrong. Hard worker or not, John Simon was not a fit at right defensive end. We have a few guys that do fit and it's about developing those guys, not having them on the bench watching John Simon struggle with his lack of speed/get off all season...  

Get over it folks. It was a good move for the vision of Chris Ballard and this team going forward. Here's to Turay, Basham, Muhammad getting better every week. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

At least Ballard come out and discussed the cuts. If you like what he had too say or not he had the class to come out and answer the tough questions.

This will be a very young team and having patience is imperative. If not, then it will be a long tough road for those who don't.

Patience is imperative, yes. But optimism is as well. We cannot choose to focus on the things that are bad but can improve, while disregarding the positive things that WILL happen this season. This team will grow. All year. 

• Like 2

It always seemed apparent that this was gonna be a growing year especially with a new staff. Ballard and Irsay have never really hid the fact that it'll be rough. And I think it's gonna be even rougher than some people realize, but hey, if so then we could get a mean D-lineman in the draft next year.

What I find amusing is that this outlook is all of a sudden popular among the forum, when just this past offseason it seemed like the notion that the team would not be very good was usually met with hostility.

Basically, Ballard came on board to an injured QB and team knowing he had to start all over.  Except he had to use his first year with a coach that wasn’t his pick and a scheme that wasn’t his pick and scouts that weren’t his pick and FO people that weren’t his pick.  Now he has his picks and is beginning. He picked his core group this year and will,pick more next year and he wants them to fit his prototype and he wants them to start and begin maturing.  If you realize this, you won’t question him all that much because he sticks to his plan.  Scheme, youth, protypical size and speed,  build up locker room, don’t  put all the pressure on Luck, employ Reich’s offensive system and defense plays really fast.  Big time Free agents come later after core comes together.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I always knew this was gonna be a growing year, especially with a new staff.

What I find amusing is that this outlook is all of a sudden popular among the forum, when just this past offseason it seemed like the notion that the team would not be very good was usually met with hostility.

You're forgetting every fanbase is nuts when it comes to football.

You'll see everything you see on this forum on 31 other boards.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I always knew this was gonna be a growing year, and honestly I think it's gonna be rougher than some people realize. This has all the makings of a 6-7 win season IMO.

What gets me is that this realistic outlook is all of a sudden popular among the forum, when just this past offseason the notion that the team would not be very good was met with hostility.

Thats because people dont agree with some of the moves made

My only real beef is that I don't love the prioritization of body types over skill/instinct. Simon might not have been the long term piece that Ballard wants ideally, but what's ideal about having few if any  impact players or even proven, solid players?

That said, this won't define the season like some people are acting and maybe the young unknowns turn up as good players and none of this matters down the line.

It’s inte How FA different Ballard’s strategy is. Grigson seemed to love bringing in veterans to “stabilize” the team and he and Pagano didn’t seem too fond of playing rookies/young players. Ballard seems the complete opposite as he throws more resources into the draft and will cut older players at the drop of a dime. Heck, he’ll even cut his own draft picks before the season starts if they don’t produce.

I think we finally have a good idea of how Ballard’s philosophy differs from Grigson.

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My only real beef is that I don't love the prioritization of body types over skill/instinct. Simon might not have been the long term piece that Ballard wants ideally, but what's ideal about having few if any  impact players or even proven, solid players?

That said, this won't define the season like some people are acting and maybe the young unknowns turn up as good players and none of this matters down the line.

THIS.  Fact is, Even though the majority of us liked Simon,..He was not going to get us to the playoffs.  He'd get a few pressures and a sack here or there, But ultimately, He'd be gone next year anyhow when Ballard goes through another draft.  Keeping him would have just slowed the progression (or lack there of, and it would be seen) of a player who could have been playing in his stead. The more i think about it,..the more i see Ballards plan and reasons. (and the fact he straight up told us)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Very true. And I know hope springs eternal in the offseason, that's when the fans are usually the most optimistic.

Yeah, you know how it goes. Even Cleveland fans are probably optimistic in the off-season.. Haha.

I can't get to worked up yet, but I don't completely hate Ballard going the youth route.

Maybe it won't be so bad, we've never been one of those 'throw the rookies into the fire' teams so hopefully this recent trend will make them perform. 

Can't really lose our minds yet like some people are doing. For all we know Jax could become the usual Jax, and there's no guarantees Vrabel will be good in Tennessee. Houston also is very up and down over the years.

Can't underestimate what having our QB does. That wasn't the Colts last year. I'll buy in until I see one more draft and FA period. If we suck this year and next, I'll hop off the Ballard express and curse them like everyone else..:D

33 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s inte How FA different Ballard’s strategy is. Grigson seemed to love bringing in veterans to “stabilize” the team and he and Pagano didn’t seem too fond of playing rookies/young players. Ballard seems the complete opposite as he throws more resources into the draft and will cut older players at the drop of a dime. Heck, he’ll even cut his own draft picks before the season starts if they don’t produce.

I think we finally have a good idea of how Ballard’s philosophy differs from Grigson.

Grigson & Pagano were trying immediately.

Ballard got hired and announced a 3-year rebuild.   So he’s got all the time he needs to play the kids and let them grow and learn on the job.

Two different approaches..

• Like 2