ColtsPacersfan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Irsay talked about being a young owner and Peyton a 21 year old qb

When Peyton said "I have loved being your qb"

And both were choked up.....I thought to myself, has any owner and any qb every cried like this at a press conference about parting ways?

There is a lot of love between those two........in addition to the love between manning and fans

It was a special time and special people

When manning said "I don't wanna stop" ....... it made me smile. That's who he is, that's why he's great. I really hate losing him

Talk about heart and soul

No, no owner and QB have cried during a press conference. However there are stories about an equally emotional separation between Montana and DeBartolo.

From: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski-120207&sportCat=nfl

"Eddie DeBartolo and Joe Montana were like brothers," Policy said. "The thought of Eddie not having Joe on the team was almost like Eddie being willing to cut both arms off."

Young wasn't the heir apparent, he was the heir obvious. He had waited his turn. He had played at an MVP level in Montana's absence. It was time.

So DeBartolo and Policy gave Montana and his agent permission to pursue a trade. TheKansas City Chiefs became the favored trading partner, but at the last moment, DeBartolo offered Montana his starting position back when training camp began.

"I'll never forget it," Policy said. "[Montana] came to me and said, 'I'm flying quietly back to Youngstown [Ohio, where DeBartolo was based] and I'm going to go see Eddie and explain to him that you and I have talked and that it's best if I leave. The offer to start at camp was an accommodation for me, but that's not best for the team and it's not best for me. I'm going to tell him one on one because I think I should look him in the eye and tell him.'"

Montana and DeBartolo met. Late that night after the meeting, DeBartolo called Policy on the West Coast.

"Joe's staying," DeBartolo said.

"What?" Policy said.

"Joe's staying."

"Are you sure?"

"We're flying back. We're going to have a press conference and he's going to stay. He's accepted the opportunity."

Policy persuaded the Niners owner to wait a day until calling a news conference. Then he drove to the airport to meet DeBartolo and Montana when their private plane landed.

"I look at Joe and he looks at me sheepishly," Policy said. "I gave him one of those looks, like, 'What happened?' Joe says, 'He started crying. I started crying. I couldn't say I was leaving. So when he asked me to stay, I said, OK, I'll stay.'"

Montana begged Policy to break the truth to DeBartolo: Joe Niner was going to the Chiefs. In fact, he had helped Policy facilitate the deal.

"[Montana] couldn't tell him," Policy said. "He couldn't look him in the eye and tell him. And Eddie couldn't let him go."

I came all the way to see Peyton from Asia ( Jets Vs Colts - 2010 playoffs ). I was at the Colts 50 yard line front row. Saw Manning from 10 feet away and he posed while taking his Gatorade.

Ironically, thats the last game he played for Colts.

That was my frist trip to a football stadium and first trip to Indy. Will never forget that night.

yes I cried also and I am a groan man of 60 . I wish the colts to do well in there endeavor to rebuild. Mr. Irsay gained some respect when he said he thought Peyton would have better chances elsewhere.That had to take a lot to say. I live in Arizona now and maybe the Cards can land a Manning here. God bless both men and hope the both do well.

I live in Arizona now as well and it's been hard at work everyone talking about it.

It'll be fine...just another team to root for...just be blessed that he still wants to play and not retiring like some speculated...

This is the second great player I've seen leave my team in the last couple months...this one just has hard as Albert.

I know! I remember the broadcast where it was announced that Pujols had signed with the Angels and that was the first broadcast I had seen where it was speculated that Manning wasn't going to be back with the Colts.

I'm not really one to enjoy watching other people play games, but when it comes down to it, it's always been the Colts, the Cards, the Hoosiers.

Having the Cards lose Albert and the Colts lose Peyton in the same off-season is almost too much to bear.

Could you imagine how horrible it would be if the atom bomb had been dropped on IU *THIS* year and not 2008 (assuming you're a Hoosier fan)?

I know! I remember the broadcast where it was announced that Pujols had signed with the Angels and that was the first broadcast I had seen where it was speculated that Manning wasn't going to be back with the Colts.

I'm not really one to enjoy watching other people play games, but when it comes down to it, it's always been the Colts, the Cards, the Hoosiers.

Having the Cards lose Albert and the Colts lose Peyton in the same off-season is almost too much to bear.

Could you imagine how horrible it would be if the atom bomb had been dropped on IU *THIS* year and not 2008 (assuming you're a Hoosier fan)?

sorry U of I fan here... But I do recall the bomb your referring to...

Either way the day AP signed with the angels(which IMO is all on the cards and DeWitt) and they first speculated about pm I thought to myself this is not a god day to be a midwesterner...

This sucks so bad. I never thought I would see this day. I hate it so much. Peyton manning will forever be viewed as an idol to me. He is a man who represents exactly what a pro athlete and role model should be. The colts will always be my favorite team but I will always be a fan of Peyton manning as a man and can't wait to see him win another Superbowl.

Ill admit I did when Peyton was talking and couldnt quit. As a Lakers fan and Red Sox fan too there was 3 things I thought I could ALWAYS count on year in year out Kobe Bryant being a Laker David Ortiz being a Sox(even though he hasnt been there his whole career he's still the face of the Red Sox) and Peyton Manning being a Colt. I almost had to go through it with Ortiz glad I didnt but Peyton never thought my Idol(well after The Man Upstairs) wouldnt be a Colt :( Thank You Peyton

Geez. Welling up just reading these posts. Hopefully I can find a link and watch it myself when I get home from work in about 20mins.

Man or Blouse?

Well, that was a tough watch. Even Mrs Wallace, a hardened Patriot / Brady lover, cried her eyes out......that is how much respect the man has....

I didn't cry the first time but got choked up, just rewateched the conference with my wife and the waterworks came out.

Whether Manning is a Colt or not, we all have to go to work on Monday. Even if the Colts win the Super Bowl.

Watching Manning choke up made me get emotional. Irsay didnt. Irsay is an owner. He will go on and his family will keep owning a franchise. Whatever. Peyton is a player. He is the one that made all those special moments possible. Jim got to sit back and enjoy the view from his owners box.

I'm in your boat, too. Cardinals fan here, but I handled Albert's departure much better. That was more about the money and he left St. Louis...this time, it was us letting Manning leave.

St Louis Cardinal fan here too. Albert leaving I was angered by. Peyton leaving our Colts and watching the press conference heart wrenching. Cried like a baby

I am a fan of almost all of your alls rivals: Pats, UK, and the Reds. However, I just wanted to say that even as a Pats fan, I teared up. Manning is such a stand up guy, and I am gunna truly miss the Manning v. Brady rivalry. I've always loved Manning, and its honestly a sad day for the NFL period. I really hope Luck comes in and turns your franchise around quickly. Best od Luck to all the Colts fans on the rebuild. I don't know how I would feel if Brady ever leaves the Pats.

I did too (well, my eyes got watery). I was sitting in a parking lot about to make a sales call when the press conference started. I was okay until Jim and Peyton strated to get choked up. I had to wait several mintues before I could make the sales call.

i listened to it on the radio at work. I teared up then. I came home, ate dinner and sat at the computer to watch it prepared with a box of Kleenex. I went thru quite a few. The last time I cried was when my daughter was born. i am a 29 year old male baby upon watching this. Watching PM play wasn't just something to do on sundays. I LOVED it and feel like I lost a piece of myself today with this move.

i listened to it on the radio at work. I teared up then. I came home, ate dinner and sat at the computer to watch it prepared with a box of Kleenex. I went thru quite a few. The last time I cried was when my daughter was born. i am a 29 year old male baby upon watching this. Watching PM play wasn't just something to do on sundays. I LOVED it and feel like I lost a piece of myself today with this move.

I wish I could +1 this more than once! Well said

"I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback".

Some players may say that but, you know manning meant every frickin word! #18 forever. GOAT!

From me to Manning:

"I have truly enjoyed watching and cheering for you every sunday, thanks for everything Peyton!"