Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis Agrees to Long Term Deal With Colts [Merge]

It's 4:00 and no tag. They better get this deal done. Either way it's good they didn't use the tag, because he'd be making around 5.8M more than he is making right now. Figure out a longterm good contract for about 7.5M each year.

They used the tag to secure him while they finalize the deal.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to contemplate this for some time. Perhaps you're right but I really wanted to keep Wayne and not tie up our tag on a guy that will probably be signed in a few weeks.

Agreed. Mathis was only going to be a free agent on the 13th, so they had time to work out the details. They definitely should have used the tag to keep Reggie

It's 4:00 and no tag. They better get this deal done. Either way it's good they didn't use the tag, because he'd be making around 5.8M more than he is making right now. Figure out a longterm good contract for about 7.5M each year.

They used a tag just in case on Mathis. Expected to reach a long term deal.

Some tweets about this:

Bob Kravitz@bkravitz

To clear up confusion: Since they ran up against deadline, Colts tagged Mathis, but have reached agreement on long-term deal. Got it? Got it

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

Can confirm Robert Mathis and Colts have agreed to terms on a deal. Club will tag him to provide time to work out the final details.

ROBERT MATHIS@RobertMathis98

Still Bleedin BLUE!!! #YaDigg

Seems like they've reached an agreement

Via Adam Schefter

Colts and Robert Mathis trying to finalize a long-term deal but as a precaution, Colts used their franchise tag on him. Not going anywhere.

https://twitter.com/...#!/AdamSchefter

Thanks for update, lets hope they get a deal with him & Garcon, had to choose one to franchise , hopefully closer to a deal with Garcon & thats why used it on Mathis

"Still bleedin blue" sounds like homie wasn't going anywhere anyway. Gratuitous use of the tag however it likely means they had no desire whatsoever to tag anyone else. Also I believe this means Wayne Ain't wearin blue anymore.

"Still bleedin blue" sounds like homie wasn't going anywhere anyway. Gratuitous use of the tag however it likely means they had no desire whatsoever to tag anyone else. Also I believe this means Wayne Ain't wearin blue anymore.

They have come to agreement on terms. They have not inked an agreement. Hence the use of the tag (gratuitous or not) was justified in case things fall apart, and the center does not hold. This buys them time to finalize the agreement and have it inked.

I came to that conclusion once we started going in the new direction. I hate it, but I think that was just the plan all along.

Thanks for update, lets hope they get a deal with him & Garcon, had to choose one to franchise , hopefully closer to a deal with Garcon & thats why used it on Mathis

Stevie Johnson who is better than Garçon, Bills #1 WR signed a 5 yr 36 million contract. Garçon should feel awefully goofy if he didn't or doesn't accept a 5 yr 35 million, lol.

LONG TERM DEAL agreed to, in Principle , awaiting final terms, so franchised to insure until terms are finalized and signed

Colts agree on deal with DE Mathis; terms still being finalized

NFL.com, cant copy the URL , dont know why

The

Indianapolis Colts

and

Robert Mathis

have

reached an agreement on a long-term contract

, but the team has applied the franchise tag on the defensive end to give the sides time to finalize the deal, a

club source said Monday.

The franchise-tag value of defensive ends is expected to be $10.6 million next season.

-----------------------------------------

The Indianapolis Colts officially have used the franchise tag on their perennial Pro Bowl defensive end

but are expected to finalize a long-term contract in short order.

http://www.indystar....E-Robert-Mathis

Really? He is due a $14 million base salary and $5 more guaranteed...why would he want to restructure that?

However, he either signs an extension, converting that huge base into a signing bonus, or is traded/cut....

No. He is due $14.035MM base salary. The $5MM is cap accounting as the unamortized pro-rated pieces of his bonuses already paid many years ago.

Really? He is due a $14 million base salary and $5 more guaranteed...why would he want to restructure that?

However, he either signs an extension, converting that huge base into a signing bonus, or is traded/cut....

He'd probably want to restructure because he knows that his salary cap hit is a burden and it puts him in danger of being cut.

According to the Bleacher Report

They are overstating the fact. The fact is that Mathis and the Colts have agreed to (major?) terms . The final agreement has not been signed, because some of the details have yet to be worked out. The Colts placed the franchise tag on Mathis while these details are worked out.