Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breakfast with Frank Reich

TKnight24

Thanks @TKnight24 for the updates!

I know this was all GM/Coach speak and they're going to put the best light on everything, but it's still nice to hear them say it.

Personally, I won't be comfortable with the 'Luck Situation' until we have confirmation that he's throwing to receivers during one of the OTA's or in camp.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He’s not worried about the O-line?

I know he’s new here and all, but he’s had to have watched some tape at some point, right?

Right?

I took it as he will scheme to reduce the issues.  7 step drops with this OL is a recipe for disaster, but if you can reduce the time to get the ball out, you reduce the time the poor OL has to try to block defenders. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Not really. Ajayi was a late round pick and Blount was an UDFA. 

Exceptions are not hard to find.  But I would bet the huge majority of players with long careers come from the 1st. three rounds.  The cream is always at the top.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I know he’s new here and all, but he’s had to have watched some tape at some point, right?

Right?

He didn't say he's not worried.  He said the issues don't scare him.  And why should they?  He will be on the sideline.

Id love to see us go to a 2 WR 2TE 1 RB offense. The formations and motions you can use in this setup would be amazing, between motioning in and out of Trips, to a H Back, to flipping the field, etc. Would also mitigate the requirement of getting another WR in FA or the draft early.

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Right?

With all the years as a QB and all the years in coaching I am pretty sure he has a pretty good idea what's going on.

C-mon JW, You think he overlooks the things we see?  As far as I know I haven't seen him with a white cane or a seeing eye dog. :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Timing routes? Getting the ball out quickly? What is this witchcraft? Such outrageous concepts might have worked in Philly, but in Indy if your quarterback isn’t taking his licks then you just aren’t getting your money’s worth. 

Get on board or get in the caboose. :hat:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Exceptions are not hard to find.  But I would bet the huge majority of players with long careers come from the 1st. three rounds.  The cream is always at the top.

I don't think that's true with running backs...     there has been a lot of success in the last 10-12 years or so with mid and late round picks as well as undrafted free agents.

Yes...   plenty of success with backs from the top three rounds ...   I'm just saying there's also been great success with other guys as well...

15 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Id love to see us go to a 2 WR 2TE 1 RB offense. The formations and motions you can use in this setup would be amazing, between motioning in and out of Trips, to a H Back, to flipping the field, etc. Would also mitigate the requirement of getting another WR in FA or the draft early.

They said they are going to incorporate some 3 tight end looks also.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

With the right 3rd TE, this could be devastating from a defensive standpoint. Most team struggle to get 1-2 defenders who can legit cover a rangy TE. I think w/ the 3 TE's you'll see either TY in motion or a TE in motion to TY's side of the ball, allowing him to reset behind the LOS, getting more free releases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

With the right 3rd TE, this could be devastating from a defensive standpoint. Most team struggle to get 1-2 defenders who can legit cover a rangy TE. I think w/ the 3 TE's you'll see either TY in motion or a TE in motion to TY's side of the ball, allowing him to reset behind the LOS, getting more free releases.

I think that's what they have in mind with a Doyle, Ebron, Swoope trio.  You'll force the D to go small to get the right coverage people to deal with that.   But that's a big formation for us so we can also eat them up with the run game.  If they respond by going Big on D then there's not going to be too many linebackers that can run with Ebron and Swoope.  And you still have to deal with Doyle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Exceptions are not hard to find.  But I would bet the huge majority of players with long carewoulders come from the 1st. three rounds.  The cream is always at the top.

Don't you know, not when it comes to rb's. Thats a lowly regarded position. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Don't you know, not when it comes to rb's. Thats a lowly regarded position. Lol

They were sure drafted high the last couple of years and this year will be no exception.  Something has changed as it always will over time.  What goes around comes around and it looks like the big 3 down back is back if you can find one early.   Otherwise you settle for the platoon system like we did with Mack.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Jon Gruden had a great interview this morning and he touted the 3TE system as a definite mismatch advantage for the offense and he intends to use it extensively because of it.  Defenses are having a difficult time defending the different possibilities it presents.  He's a big fan. He mentioned certain teams that use it including the Eagles and Chiefs and a few more and how successful they are.  I believe he acquired a TE in FA as well to help him put it together.  We made the move to do it as well with Ebron.  Great interview if you can find it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Right?

I think part of that had to do with the predictable play-calling, and when I mean predictable I mean REALLY predictable.

• Like 1