Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do we bring back from our own group of FAs?

ColtsFanMikeC

Now that we signed Adam Vinatieri (seemed like a no-brainer), we have a fairly large group of FAs from our team left...  I will evaluate them as I see fit, curious to see everyone else's thoughts:

Frank Gore -- Not high priority, but if he wants to come back on a 1 year deal, I wouldn't mind seeing him move into 4th all time rushing leader as a Colt (he's 75 yards behind Curtis Martin).  I think Gore still has some gas in the tank, but (assuming we don't draft Barkley) we need to get our younger backs much more involved next year.  Gore is a consumate pro, and another year with him could benefit Mack.  Priority level: Low-Mid

Darius Butler -- He has played well for most of his tenure in Indy and I like the fact he's versatile enough to play FS or slot CB.  He's also 31 and doesn't seem like he's improving.  Seems like Ballard wants to get younger and we have some talented young guys in the secondary (so long as they can stay healthy).  Unless he's willing to take less than the $3M he made last year, I'd say let him walk.  Priority: Low

Kamar Aiken -- Did very little to impress me last year.  Maybe with Luck and a better offense, he'd do more.  Seems like we signed him to be a redzone threat, but we weren't in the redzone very often.  For $2.6M (last year's salary), I say let him walk.  Priority: Low

Barkevious Mingo -- He played well in spots last year.  Can be a solid ST guy and should do OK in limited rotational roles at DE/LB.  For $2M, Priority: Mid

Scott Tolzein -- With Jacoby Brissett and Phillip Morris on the roster, and hopefully a healthy Luck, let him walk.  If Luck's not healthy, we can surely find someone who is as competent as Tolzein for a similar or reduced cost.  Priority: Low

Jack Mewhort -- Huge fan of his, but I don't know he'll even test the FA market.  Sounds like he is seriously considering retiring before his knees get any worse.  If he is healthy and wants to come back, Priority: Mid  (I would say Mid-High, but his health issues are very concerning for a man his size).

Pierre Desir -- I thought he played extremely well when given the chance last year, and before injury.  We paid him $790,000 last year -- at that price, I say Priority: Mid-High

Brandon Williams -- He was pretty 'meh', IMO, but also serviceable at a cheap price.  Priority: Low-Mid (I'd say low, but if we aren't going to address TE in the draft, he moves to mid for his price)

Michael Person -- Thought he provided good depth and versatility as an OL last year.  We need all the help we can get there, especially with Kelly's injury history over his short career.  Priority: Mid-High (not going to find many for cheaper than him at the level/versatility he has)

Rashaan Melvin -- I thought he played very well prior to injury last year.  I think Wilson will be a good CB for us, but we're pretty thin there.  Priority: High

Donte Moncrief -- He's showed flashes, but mostly inconsistency and unable to stay healthy for a full year.  He's got a big body and he's got speed.  I'm not totally ready to give up on him, and after TY we are pretty thin at WR.  Unless we plan to bring in a big FA WR (doubtful) or draft a few, I say -- Priority: Mid

Jon Bostic -- He played well and started 14 games prior to injury.  Ballard seems to like him and he's a hard working dude.  Problem is he isn't very good in coverage and I feel like he's better suited for 3-4 than 4-3.  That said, ILB is arguably our weakest position on the team.... priority: Mid

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess after we signed Vinny, there isn't a single FA on the team I'll be upset to see in a new uniform (or retired) next year.  I like Mewhort but think it may be in his best interest to walk.  Otherwise, the 4 I would most like to see us bring back are Melvin, Desir, Person, and Mingo.

I think Ballard did a very good job in his signings last year bringing in guys like Mingo, Bostic, etc.. on one or 2 year deals to fill gaps for us.  It'll be interesting to see what happens this year, but I expect we'll see a roster around 25-33% different on opening day than our 53 from last year.

6 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Now that we signed Adam Vinatieri (seemed like a no-brainer), we have a fairly large group of FAs from our team left...  I will evaluate them as I see fit, curious to see everyone else's thoughts:

Frank Gore -- Not high priority, but if he wants to come back on a 1 year deal, I wouldn't mind seeing him move into 4th all time rushing leader as a Colt (he's 75 yards behind Curtis Martin).  I think Gore still has some gas in the tank, but (assuming we don't draft Barkley) we need to get our younger backs much more involved next year.  Gore is a consumate pro, and another year with him could benefit Mack.  Priority level: Low-Mid

Darius Butler -- He has played well for most of his tenure in Indy and I like the fact he's versatile enough to play FS or slot CB.  He's also 31 and doesn't seem like he's improving.  Seems like Ballard wants to get younger and we have some talented young guys in the secondary (so long as they can stay healthy).  Unless he's willing to take less than the $3M he made last year, I'd say let him walk.  Priority: Low

Kamar Aiken -- Did very little to impress me last year.  Maybe with Luck and a better offense, he'd do more.  Seems like we signed him to be a redzone threat, but we weren't in the redzone very often.  For $2.6M (last year's salary), I say let him walk.  Priority: Low

Barkevious Mingo -- He played well in spots last year.  Can be a solid ST guy and should do OK in limited rotational roles at DE/LB.  For $2M, Priority: Mid

Scott Tolzein -- With Jacoby Brissett and Phillip Morris on the roster, and hopefully a healthy Luck, let him walk.  If Luck's not healthy, we can surely find someone who is as competent as Tolzein for a similar or reduced cost.  Priority: Low

Jack Mewhort -- Huge fan of his, but I don't know he'll even test the FA market.  Sounds like he is seriously considering retiring before his knees get any worse.  If he is healthy and wants to come back, Priority: Mid  (I would say Mid-High, but his health issues are very concerning for a man his size).

Pierre Desir -- I thought he played extremely well when given the chance last year, and before injury.  We paid him $790,000 last year -- at that price, I say Priority: Mid-High

Brandon Williams -- He was pretty 'meh', IMO, but also serviceable at a cheap price.  Priority: Low-Mid (I'd say low, but if we aren't going to address TE in the draft, he moves to mid for his price)

Michael Person -- Thought he provided good depth and versatility as an OL last year.  We need all the help we can get there, especially with Kelly's injury history over his short career.  Priority: Mid-High (not going to find many for cheaper than him at the level/versatility he has)

Rashaan Melvin -- I thought he played very well prior to injury last year.  I think Wilson will be a good CB for us, but we're pretty thin there.  Priority: High

Donte Moncrief -- He's showed flashes, but mostly inconsistency and unable to stay healthy for a full year.  He's got a big body and he's got speed.  I'm not totally ready to give up on him, and after TY we are pretty thin at WR.  Unless we plan to bring in a big FA WR (doubtful) or draft a few, I say -- Priority: Mid

Jon Bostic -- He played well and started 14 games prior to injury.  Ballard seems to like him and he's a hard working dude.  Problem is he isn't very good in coverage and I feel like he's better suited for 3-4 than 4-3.  That said, ILB is arguably our weakest position on the team.... priority: Mid

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess after we signed Vinny, there isn't a single FA on the team I'll be upset to see in a new uniform (or retired) next year.  I like Mewhort but think it may be in his best interest to walk.  Otherwise, the 4 I would most like to see us bring back are Melvin, Desir, Person, and Mingo.

I think Ballard did a very good job in his signings last year bringing in guys like Mingo, Bostic, etc.. on one or 2 year deals to fill gaps for us.  It'll be interesting to see what happens this year, but I expect we'll see a roster around 25-33% different on opening day than our 53 from last year.

:scoregood:

No to gore, if anything Warren Sharps tweets proved that we shouldn't bring back gore just for him to get 75 yards. I would bring back Moncreif but doubt we will, hopefully he goes someplace tears it up and we get a high conditional draft pick for him leaving as that's the best we can hope for. Anyone else is just meh to me. 

On defense, we try to bring back Melvin, Desir and Mingo.

On Offense,  we have brought back AV,  and now we try to bring back Person (who played Center down the stretch) and maybe Moncrief and/or Mewhort.      The last two determined by factors that we don't know about like the exact health of those players?     I'm OK if we move on from those two if that's what Ballard decides....

I'm passing on Butler and Bostic....    and I'm passing on Aiken,  Gore, probably Michel, Williams and Tolzein.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

On Offense,  we have brought back AV,  and now we try to bring back Person (who played Center down the stretch) and maybe Moncrief and/or Mewhort.      The last two determined by factors that we don't know about like the exact health of the health of those players?     I'm OK if we move on from those two if that's what Ballard decides....

I'm passing on Butler and Bostic....    and I'm passing on Aiken,  Gore, probably Michel, Williams and Tolzein.

Not bad 

Moncrief will be a star very soon if we let him walk we will be regretting it I would go as far as giving him a 3yr deal with the 2nd 2 years for more money with tons of incentives we give him a 1yr prove it deal and he goes off now another team offers him 10 mil he is leaving so give him a 2 or 3 year deal with the backend worth more and lots of incentives making sure he stays with us for a little longer

20 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

Moncrief will be a star very soon if we let him walk we will be regretting it I would go as far as giving him a 3yr deal with the 2nd 2 years for more money with tons of incentives we give him a 1yr prove it deal and he goes off now another team offers him 10 mil he is leaving so give him a 2 or 3 year deal with the backend worth more and lots of incentives making sure he stays with us for a little longer

A star? I see topping out as a Garçon level receiver.

12 hours ago, neug3246 said:

No to gore, if anything Warren Sharps tweets proved that we shouldn't bring back gore just for him to get 75 yards. I would bring back Moncreif but doubt we will, hopefully he goes someplace tears it up and we get a high conditional draft pick for him leaving as that's the best we can hope for. Anyone else is just meh to me. 

Sharps' tweet suggested Gore is fine in quarters 1-3 and wears down in the 4th.  He still has some gas in the tank... which is why I say the only reason I see us bringing him back is to help Mack develop another year and if he greatly lessens his work load (i.e., becomes a 2 down back or a rotational back).  He has already stated multiple times he knows he's going to have to share the load to remain in this league.

Agree mostly with everything  @ColtsFanMikeC 

I'd like to sign both Mewhort and Crief on 'prove it' types of contracts.  I don't know if Mewhort can ever get healthy enough to return to form.

I watched Moncrief on some of the All22 and there were times where he was wide open but JB wouldn't look his way.  I'd say his drop off is a combination of some injuries and QB play.  He still has a lot of potential.

11 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Sharps' tweet suggested Gore is fine in quarters 1-3 and wears down in the 4th.  He still has some gas in the tank... which is why I say the only reason I see us bringing him back is to help Mack develop another year and if he greatly lessens his work load (i.e., becomes a 2 down back or a rotational back).  He has already stated multiple times he knows he's going to have to share the load to remain in this league.

It could be that Gore was wearing down...but another point made by his tweets is that the offense became so predictable in the 4th Qtr that everyone knew just by the players on the field whether the play was going to Gore.  How can a back succeed with a mediocre line and a defense knowing he's getting the ball?  How can you differentiate between Gore wearing down, and simply having no where to run because the D is ready for the play?

50 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I think we can find better production else where and sharps tweets suggest we have better play calling quarters 1-3 but that doesn't change the fact that I think Gores time has come and gone with the colts.

1 hour ago, A8bil said:

It could be that Gore was wearing down...but another point made by his tweets is that the offense became so predictable in the 4th Qtr that everyone knew just by the players on the field whether the play was going to Gore.  How can a back succeed with a mediocre line and a defense knowing he's getting the ball?  How can you differentiate between Gore wearing down, and simply having no where to run because the D is ready for the play?

If we do bring him back, it will be sparingly. If we drafted a RB in the draft, we'd have Mack, Turbin, +whoever we draft, and Gore, which is more than enough, and that's not even accounting free agency. That kind of takes away Gore's spot, but I could see him being used on a pitch count or in limited situations.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

On Offense,  we have brought back AV,  and now we try to bring back Person (who played Center down the stretch) and maybe Moncrief and/or Mewhort.      The last two determined by factors that we don't know about like the exact health of the health of those players?     I'm OK if we move on from those two if that's what Ballard decides....

Agree with this...Im hoping Mewhort can give us a couple solid years still..

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

On Offense,  we have brought back AV,  and now we try to bring back Person (who played Center down the stretch) and maybe Moncrief and/or Mewhort.      The last two determined by factors that we don't know about like the exact health of those players?     I'm OK if we move on from those two if that's what Ballard decides....

I agree!

2 hours ago, neug3246 said:

I think we can find better production else where and sharps tweets suggest we have better play calling quarters 1-3 but that doesn't change the fact that I think Gores time has come and gone with the colts.

Yeah, we really need to get younger there an explosive back. 

3 hours ago, neug3246 said:

That is why I put a low-mid priority on Gore.  If we don't draft Barkley, and Gore wants to come back with a reduced salary to be a rotational back, I'm for it.  If not, I wish him the best of luck and don't think it is anywhere near a doom scenario for the Colts.

• 3 weeks later...

First, Well said!

Second, I completely agree with your opinion of Gore. I'd like him back to a) Retire a Colt b)Mentor the RB crew with the coaches to ensure we are adding the right RB c)Allow him to get his position in RB history as a Colt .

Third, as much as I really like D Buts, and hes given an lot of himself to the team and the community, I can't see giving him a raise, as he is nearing the end of his career & not likely to be more of an impact than he has been.As with Gore, he'd be a great mentor of his position for younger players.

I find myself feeling that Moncreif, as he started out being a shooting star, he's not been able to maintain that high level of performance in the last season.

Moving on, I agree that Mingo, Desir, Person and Bostic should be priority re-signings, as the team has got to keep more players that already know the team, and can make a difference in the 4-3 scheme. I mean, we can't replace everybody & expect to make the turn-around Irsay, Ballard & Reich have been promoting.

All others can find homes somewhere else, and best of luck in their new endeavors. These guys have not impressed, and may perform better in other situations.

With Free Agency Madness starting Wednesday, I think we can get a couple of difference makers, but I really cannot wait until the Draft to see what happens! 

On 2/23/2018 at 4:14 PM, jshipp23 said:

Agree with this...Im hoping Mewhort can give us a couple solid years still..

Totally agree with this. If Mewhort and Moncrief are healthy, sign them. (Moncrief has actually missed less time than Allen Robinson).

Mingo impressed me. He can cover some ground.

Definitely Mingo, the guy showed a lot of quickness and hussle last year and impressed me quite a bit.  Another year with this team should be good for him.  Also If we go 4-3 I wonder if he could play the will position.  He seems to have the build and speed for that position.

As much as I'd like to see Jack Mewhort back, I have to say that he should be or on the verge of being back to full speed to bring him back. I'd hate to see him hurt himself long term. I would like to see them resign Darius Butler with the understanding that he may get cut in camp. I believe he'll get a better offer somewhere.