National title game is why you can't take Barkley 3rd

GusFring

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damien Harris for Alabama looks like a solid back though.  I like him.  McShay is projecting 4th round for him.  Probably doesn’t have the hands of Barkley.  And it’s Barkley’s hands in McDaniels system which really intrigue me.  McDaniels is the master of exploiting matchups. Barkley would be a nightmare for a LB to cover.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's what many say but guys like Barkley don't come around often. I want to see what we do in Free Agency as well. We may address the O.Line there and could still get another O.Lineman in Round 2.

Is he really that good? I don't know anything about him. Who would you compare him to?

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's what many say but guys like Barkley don't come around often. I want to see what we do in Free Agency as well. We may address the O.Line there and could still get another O.Lineman in Round 2.

A guy like Barkley comes around nearly every year. Fournette, Gurley and Elliott in the last 3 years are 3 that come to mind. There's 1 every year. Barkley isn't any better than them.

Whilst I don't disagree that productive running backs can be acquired throughout the draft , this rationale makes no sense at all. I'm not sure how the National Title game changes anything.

However, I think I'd rather trade down than draft Barkley. There's just too many holes that were created by Grigson's brilliance , imo.

We don't need a superstar running back , we need a star on either of our lines.

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I figured a DE would be a better pick. 

Personally, Bradley Chubb is one of the top two guys I want in the 1st round. He's a very solid DE pass rusher that should be a consistent double-digit sack guy. Going to start watching tape tomorrow on the players that are in the draft this year. He would be a very solid pick at no3.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

A guy like Barkley comes around nearly every year. Fournette, Gurley and Elliott in the last 3 years are 3 that come to mind. There's 1 every year. Barkley isn't any better than them.

Barkley will be better than Fournette. Fournette didn't even average 4 yards a carry and was a non factor in the Buffalo game the other day as well. Ellliott is really good and so is Gurley but you are talking about guys that went early in Round 1 = Top 10. If we pass on Barkley we aren't getting those type of backs.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The more I think about it, a great comparison would be to LT because they both are the same size basically. Both have great vision and speed and both can catch the ball out of the backfield

Not even close... Barkley is ~20lbs heavier than LT ever was... 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Barkley will be better than Fournette. Fournette didn't even average 4 yards a carry and was a non factor in the Buffalo game the other day as well. Ellliott is really good and so is Gurley but you are talking about guys that went early in Round 1 = Top 10. If we pass on Barkley we aren't getting those type of backs.

I'd be perfectly fine with getting a Kareem Hunt or Jordan Howard type. Ballard just has to do his homework. This offense shouldn't be running through the RB anyway. The RB should be a compliment to Luck, and set up the pass. If we are using someone like Barkley as a centerpiece, it's a waste of Luck's abilities, and a waste of a precious top 3 overall pick. Would rather get a top skill position or an O-Lineman.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd be perfectly fine with getting a Kareem Hunt or Jordan Howard type. Ballard just has to do his homework. This offense shouldn't be running through the RB anyway. The RB should be a compliment to Luck, and set up the pass. If we are using someone like Barkley as a centerpiece, it's a waste of Luck's abilities, and a waste of a precious top 3 overall pick. Would rather get a top skill position or an O-Lineman.

I am on record saying I would be happy if we took Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley at #3. I just wanted to comment on how highly I think of Barkley.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am on record saying I would be happy if took Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley at #3. I just wanted to comment on how highly I think of Barkley.

I do think Barkley will be a hit, but yeah, I'd rather have Chubb or Nelson. Luckily, as long as Luck is healthy come draft time, we shouldn't screw this up. Worst case scenario we grab Nelson 3rd, and he ends up being the safest pick in the draft.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I do think Barkley will be a hit, but yeah, I'd rather have Chubb or Nelson. Luckily, as long as Luck is healthy come draft time, we shouldn't screw this up. Worst case scenario we grab Nelson 3rd, and he ends up being the safest pick in the draft.

Of course we can always pick up a back in Round 3 or 4 to go with Mack but to me Barkley is going to be super Great.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course we can always pick up a back in Round 3 or 4 to go with Mack but to me Barkley is going to be super Great.

As long as we picked up a couple FA lineman before the draft, I'd be fine with Barkley. I do think Ballard has to address the line in FA some though, or else even someone like Barkley could struggle behind our poor G play.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nelson is a beast, and could be a 10 year starter at guard. Great talent.

But considering this will likely be the only time we pick 3rd in a long time, id like to try to maximize the value of the pick. Granted, taking an RB may not do that, but if we're getting Nelson, ideally it'd be in a trade back.

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Nelson is a beast, and could be a 10 year starter at guard. Great talent.

But considering this will likely be the only time we pick 3rd in a long time, id like to try to maximize the value of the pick. Granted, taking an RB may not do that, but if we're getting Nelson, ideally it'd be in a trade back.

I agree. Hoping we can trade back with the Jets, pick up a second round pick+, and still get Nelson. That would give us a ton of ammo in this draft to build a competitive team if Luck returns as well, and possibly a new offensive line that isn't overmatched.

Michel looks like the guy to get. He's similar in size to Mack...but seems to run with more power. Could be perfect for McDaniels scheme as well. 

Plus, think of all the nicknames we could come up with.

On on a side note, Najae Harris looks like the next big thing at RB in NCAAF.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Worst case scenario we grab Nelson 3rd, and he ends up being the safest pick in the draft.

Even though Guard is a much more pressing need , I'm not sure I could justify taking one 3rd overall, regardless of how special he is.

The chances we get a pick this high in the Luck era again are pretty low, and if we can't get a tackle or pass-rusher worthy of the 3rd overall selection  , I don't see the point in the selecting this high. We've got to leverage this pick into more selections (in this draft or the next). This is probably going to be the best trading chip Ballard will have to work with in his time here--we have to maximize it's worth.

I know you prefaced by saying worst case scenario, but this scenario is almost unacceptable, imo.

No one is going to take a guard that high , I'd almost rather take Barkley than Nelson if I absolutely had to choose between the two.

To me, it comes down to how highly Ballard and his team value Chubb. If they think Chubb can be that franchise altering pass-rusher, I think they keep the pick. If they think he'll just be really good, I think they trade down.

7 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Even though Guard is a much more pressing need , I'm not sure I could justify taking one 3rd overall, regardless of how special he is.

The chances we get a pick this high in the Luck era again are pretty low, and if we can't get a tackle or pass-rusher worthy of the 3rd overall selection  , I don't see the point in the selecting this high. We've got to leverage this pick into more selections (in this draft or the next). This is probably going to be the best trading chip Ballard will have to work with in his time here--we have to maximize it's worth.

I know you prefaced by saying worst case scenario, but this scenario is almost unacceptable, imo.

No one is going to take a guard that high , I'd almost rather take Barkley than Nelson if I absolutely had to choose between the two.

To me, it comes down to how highly Ballard and his team value Chubb. If they think Chubb can be that franchise altering pass-rusher, I think they keep the pick. If they think he'll just be really good, I think they trade down.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Have your 2nd like rookie. :) 

I used to be against taking Barkley but now I am starting to warm up to the idea mainly because this draft has lots of starting OL talent that will fall to the 2nd and maybe even 3rd round. If we add Norwell in FA then I’m all for taking Barkley then getting the best OL in round 2. I still would prefer to trade back to 5 or 6 though.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This time last year I was hearing fournette was the second coming on Bo Jackson......

13 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Lets say we miss out on Barkley and he goes to Cleveland. Does that make them an instant contender? We had a few more victories more this past season but barely beat them by 1, meaning we arent to far off than them talent wise. Not to mention most were calling Garret a generational type DL last year. 

IMO Barkley don't make it to 3rd.  I think the Giants take him at 2. The Giants didn't even have a RB that would make another teams roster last year.  Add the fact that Mara has already said he wanted Eli to be his starter next season.

Could Mara been sending a smoke screen? Maybe, maybe not.