Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck to Address Media after Friday Practice

Steamboat_Shaun

8 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Oh yeah there is no physical therapist in the US of A. Dude is grasping at straws for magic solutions. Maybe Jim is right about it being mental.

I'm just saying. He was vague about it. Course he was vague about everything

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Oh yeah there is no physical therapist in the US of A. Dude is grasping at straws for magic solutions. Maybe Jim is right about it being mental.

i dont buy that he missed the season because of "the space between his ears"  

would it have mattered to you if he had trained here to recover instead of Europe? i think he just wanted to get away and they have a program there that he personally likes 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew: I feel great and have no doubt I will be 100% by opening day in 2018.

Negative Colts fans: He's lying, I still think he's going to retire, Irsay just wants to sell tickets :facepalm:

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well atleast he thinks he won't need surgery. Just have to wait and see how it responses after throwing.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Except it’s coming from him and he feels he won’t need surgery, and he plans on being ready for OTAs.  

Youre right, we really won’t know anything until he throws, but he sounds very optimistic.  

I'm glad he is back home in the states.

To me-

High on optimism...

Low on substance.

We are all still in a wait and see  mode.

39 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont buy that he missed the season because of "the space between his ears"  

would it have mattered to you if he had trained here to recover instead of Europe? i think he just wanted to get away and they have a program there that he personally likes 

"The space between your ears" is real when someone goes through what they think is a serious surgery.

I speak by experience. I went through 2 cervical surgeries with over two years of healing and rehab. The mental aspect of healing is a huge part of the process.

He is human and is no different than anyone else when it comes to negative thoughts on your injury. Just put yourself in his shoes. He has been an active successful QB going all the way back to high school and all of a sudden it was taken away. With all the pressure of being pointed out as one of the best QBs in the league and a whole team depending on you, you can bet it could become mental.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

He took his therapist from the US with him to the Netherlands saying that they had access to ‘things’ at a clinic there that weren’t available here. He wouldn’t elaborate on what those ‘things’ were. 

I would likely say 90% of the state of Indiana knows what Andrew Luck looks like. I'd say around 60% of Americans look like. I'm willing to bet that the amount of people in the Netherlands is much much lower since it's not dominated by football. So I'm sure that alone gave him the chance to be left alone, have the ability to go out on the town and not to be constantly recognized and continually asked about his shoulder would be enough to wanna travel and if that's where his private physical therapist is then I'm sure it made the decision easier. People enjoy getting away. Not every star enjoys the attention. They are no different then you and i

My opinion is that he also participated in some mental therapy sessions.  I think he was he'll bent on coming back to help his team, felt pain similiar to before and he started to fret and feel overwhelmed, helpless, shut down by GM and no longer could help or be a part of the team. He needed to focus on getting mentally and physically better and mentally he is back and ready to continue progressing forward physically.

57 minutes ago, GusFring said:

I don't get it. Docs seem to say that u reinjure the labrum if u dont do the biceps surgery. Then he refused to say what Doc or physical therapist he saw? I don't get Luck

Well for starters, no one has ever confirmed its now a bicep issue. No one but unconfirmed twitter rumors.

The fear in the back of my head is that nothing has changed with Luck's shoulder - he is either done or will need more surgery and time.  That this was a rouse to help attract a new coach and free agents or to help retain Gore.

The level a vagueness, saying he still has pain, and won't predict when he would be able to throw a football certainly is not reassuring, IMO.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but this situation just has a bad vibe to it to me.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well for starters, no one has ever confirmed its now a bicep surgery. No one but unconfirmed twitter rumors.

Exactly. Everyone has a different healing/rehab time than anyone else. Asking a doctor about someone's injury/surgery that are not their patent means zero.

It's just opinion.

Glad to hear from Andrew himself. People seem cynical which is understandable but I feel optimistic that he’ll be back next season. I never expected him to go into specific details regarding his rehabilitation. It’s not who he is and honestly, he has a right to keep that information private. He says he’s improving and that’s good enough for me. I’m sure we’ll receive more updates once he begins throwing. 

1 minute ago, GusFring said:

Thats funny. He looks like he's hiding something by being so secretive, and the moment something goes wrong, the heat will come down on him.

He don't have to indulge any information by law if he don't care to. The heat will come down on him? From where? This forum?  Your kidding right?

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He don't have to indulge any information by law if he don't care to. The heat will come down on him? From where? This forum?  Your kidding right?

I think he's trying to say...    that if Luck is using steroids or HGH or something illegal to help himself heal and he gets caught,  then the heat from the NFL will come down on him.

That's my read of his comment anyway....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he's trying to say...    that if Luck is using steroids or HGH or something illegal to help himself heal and he gets caught,  then the heat from the NFL will come down in him.

Maybe so but I highly doubt he would be dumb enough to get caught now. Like what another poster said earlier, what goes on in the Netherlands stay in the Netherlands. :D

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe so but I highly doubt he would be dumb enough to get caught now. Like what another poster said earlier, what goes on in the Netherlands stay in the Netherlands. :D

Accept for the part where players get tested in the offseason as well....    so getting busted is still possible...

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Accept for the part where players get tested in the offseason as well....    so getting busted is still possible...

That's only IF he did anything illegal. Just because he was vague in his comments does not mean he is hiding something.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he's trying to say...    that if Luck is using steroids or HGH or something illegal to help himself heal and he gets caught,  then the heat from the NFL will come down on him.

And the media storm. Mort was very critical of the way Andrew has handled this. 

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that’s doubtful he could have gotten those here if he wanted. The main draw for going to Europe is they are much more lienent on the use of stem cells.  I would guess that’s why he went there.

21 minutes ago, GusFring said:

And the media storm. Mort was very critical of the way Andrew has handled this. 

Mort was critical?    Really?

That's not normally Morts way...  hmm?

I'm not expecting anything to come of this...    Luck's not the type to be taking anything illegal...     he either heals and plays well...    or he doesn't...     

I expect an update before the draft...    there are April camps...    if Luck is still struggling by late April I'm not sure we can be surprised if we draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.    So we should have a better idea by May 1st...    

9 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

by all the negative comments, maybe he shouldn't have done the presser, just gives people more ammunition.   i think he is going to be fine, he's got lots of time to heal and rehab ... a TON of time.  he was being accommodating to share what he did.  didn't have to.

Yes I agree. Some of this stuff reads like a National Enquirer. haha

None of you really got what Luck was saying? The guy tried to rush through some step during the first process of his rehab. He wanted to get back to quickly. Thus it caused him to have a setback. This time around he hasn’t done such. He actually gave his shoulder time to heal properly. That’s what I got from the interview. He isn’t going to need a second surgery. He’ll have time to follow the correct steps in the healing process. I also said months ago Irsay’s words were taken out of context. He was saying he wanted to prevent injury in the future. Get rid of the football quick and get down. Don’t try and pickup the extra yard. Also trust in your teammates. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

"The space between your ears" is real when someone goes through what they think is a serious surgery.

I speak by experience. I went through 2 cervical surgeries with over two years of healing and rehab. The mental aspect of healing is a huge part of the process.

He is human and is no different than anyone else when it comes to negative thoughts on your injury. Just put yourself in his shoes. He has been an active successful QB going all the way back to high school and all of a sudden it was taken away. With all the pressure of being pointed out as one of the best QBs in the league and a whole team depending on you, you can bet it could become mental.

i dont get the whole mental thing here. 

luck was hurt so he missed the season.  you think that was all mental?

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Chris Mortenson being critical of Luck is not exactly a media storm.

I so far see nothing negative on ESPN or NFL.com. about Luck.

He's not usually one to criticize star qbs. The point was, more of them will start looking into it and asking questions. A pro qb can't just go to the Netherlands to rehab without people being suspicious. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/12/29/did-colts-qb-andrew-luck-go-netherlands-rehab/989996001/

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well for starters, no one has ever confirmed its now a bicep issue. No one but unconfirmed twitter rumors.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. Everyone has a different healing/rehab time than anyone else. Asking a doctor about someone's injury/surgery that are not their patent means zero.

It's just opinion.

Correct, no one has confirmed that Andrew's biceps is 100% a problem that requires surgery.

However, it is undisputed that labrum repairs in athletes such as QBs or pitchers oftentimes require tenodesis: the repair of long head of the biceps/superior labrum.

The shoulder is a complicated joint, and when you play with a chronic labrum tear, as Luck did for several years, the mechanics of the shoulder change over time.

Due to the physiological changes (changes that can cause serious post-operative pain), sometimes tenodesis is required.  That procedure consists of cutting the biceps tendon from its insertion into the shoulder and reattaching it to the proximal shoulder in a new location.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Correct, no one has confirmed that Andrew's biceps is 100% a problem that requires surgery.

However, it is undisputed that labrum repairs in athletes such as QBs or pitchers oftentimes require tenodesis: the repair of long head of the biceps/superior labrum.

The shoulder is a complicated joint, and when you play with a chronic labrum tear, as Luck did for several years, the mechanics of the shoulder change over time.

Due to the physiological changes (changes that can cause serious post-operative pain), sometimes tenodesis is required.  That procedure consists of cutting the biceps tendon from its insertion into the shoulder and reattaching it to the proximal shoulder in a new location.

Hope that helps.

I fully understand exactly what you are saying. But you really answered yourself when you said oftentimes, not 100% of the times. Do I know? no. But till that bridge is crossed no one else does either.

2 hours ago, GusFring said:

He's not usually one to criticize star qbs. The point was, more of them will start looking into it and asking questions. A pro qb can't just go to the Netherlands to rehab without people being suspicious. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/12/29/did-colts-qb-andrew-luck-go-netherlands-rehab/989996001/

The only point I made was your comment about the 'media storm'.  I wouldn't call anything coming out of the Indystar a media storm.  Till something like this comes out nationally it cant be termed a media storm.

Taking steroids or HGH is not illegal.  So if he did, he was right in saying that he didn't do anything that would be illegal here.  Having the blood taken out, adding oxygen and some juice, then returning it to the body involves no "injections".

He does look bigger and healthier than he did when he was on the sidelines.

The fact that he still has pain at this point is bothersome.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I fully understand exactly what you are saying. But you really answered yourself when you said oftentimes, not 100% of the times. Do I know? no. But till that bridge is crossed no one else does either.

Often time is the operative word what percent is often?  5%, 60%? I play high level travel softball all over the US,have had 3 shoulder surgeries 2 on my throwing shoulder and and know dozens of other guys and not 1 has had to do that surgery. I do know a few who after or before surgery who's biceps detached and all were advised not to have surgery on it as you can still throw pain goes away and you will lose some strength about 5%. Luckily I have never had that but the rehab now three of them are all different, some went pretty smoothly some were harder! I had one 13 months ago it's still not as strong as it was! The first rehab I would be going along fine with it and muscles would spasam and seize up and the Theripist would say oh your so and so muscle is seized up  I would be in a lot of pain and he would have to alein my rib or 2 by compression and deep  breaths similar to a chiropractor but much more slowly!  Super painful!  When you start throwing all your muscle memory is gone and you're breaking up scar tissue  super painful when you think you've damaged it again super painful and mentally painful!  Andrews human he's going to be fine he'll get through it and he'll be great!

18 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Often time is the operative word what percent is often?  5%, 60%? I play high level travel softball all over the US,have had 3 shoulder surgeries 2 on my throwing shoulder and and know dozens of other guys and not 1 has had to do that surgery. I do know a few who after or before surgery who's biceps detached and all were advised not to have surgery on it as you can still throw pain goes away and you will lose some strength about 5%. Luckily I have never had that but the rehab now three of them are all different, some went pretty smoothly some were harder! I had one 13 months ago it's still not as strong as it was! The first rehab I would be going along fine with it and muscles would spasam and seize up and the Theripist would say oh your so and so muscle is seized up  I would be in a lot of pain and he would have to alein my rib or 2 by compression and deep  breaths similar to a chiropractor but much more slowly!  Super painful!  When you start throwing all your muscle memory is gone and you're breaking up scar tissue  super painful when you think you've damaged it again super painful and mentally painful!  Andrews human he's going to be fine he'll get through it and he'll be great!

Good information to know.

So you did have some negative thoughts at times? I know I did with a long recovery time especially when strong pain pills were involved. Those themselves are a problem all their own.

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Hope that helps.

I think that there is a typical protocol in shoulder treatment, just like most anything (auto repair, plumbing, etc...)

First, check to see if nonoperational medical management is possible or appropriate.  Next, perform SLAP repair in the event of nonoperative management failure.  Finally, then consider biceps tenodesis in the event the subject does not tolerate recovery from SLAP very well.

We are still in the recovery toleration phase.  Since AL doesn't appear to want an arthroscope performed to definitively see if there is still structural damage in his shoulder, then we have to wait for him to get back on and progress through a complete throwing program once more, and do so without the recurrence of pain.

If biceps tenodesis is needed, it will once more be at least 6 months recovery rehab for Andrew.  

I see a few here that complain why didn't Luck have the biceps tenodesis surgery along with the SLAP?  I'll point out a few items people do not know about it, then once understood, see why or why not one would have this done.

Biceps Tenodesis is the removal of the biceps attachment from the labrum and reattaching it to the upper humerus.  In doing so-

Pain from the SLAP lesion or biceps tendonitis is severely reduced/eliminated (true)

Changes the mechanics of the shoulder!

Decreases translational and rotational stability of the humeral joint, with an increase of superior humeral head  migration of over 15%

My questions regards will this increased instability lead to rotator cuff fatigue and/or accelerated degenerative changes.  And how will it manifest in on the field performance?

Then there are others that believe there is possible increase in humeral fractures-

https://mikereinold.com/humeral-fracture-following-biceps-tenodesis-baseball-pitcher/

As a final thought, here are thoughts from Dr. James Andrews on the subject-

** Noted orthopedist, Dr. James Andrews was recently asked about the biceps and the potential for biceps tenodesis, to which he replied “The biceps is there for a purpose — it’s too intrinsically associated with the shoulder joint.  Until we know what the real function of it is, we’re stabbing in the dark.”  When asked if a biceps tenodesis is the answer to athletes returning to sport, similar to a Tommy John procedure, he replied “With Tommy John surgery, we’re actually restoring anatomy. In the case of biceps tenodesis, you’re deleting anatomy.” **

Hmm, yeah.  I'm not a fan of 'if it hurts, cut it off' either.  LOL

I wish A.L. would have already had a diagnostic Arthroscope by now. We would all know so much more than we do right now, for certain.