Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

James Harrison to be signed by the Patriots

buffalo34

2 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/james-harrison-will-reportedly-sign-with-the-patriots/ar-BBHnVFy?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Watch the guy come up with a big stripsack or defensive touchdown for these guys in the postseason and he'll play like he's 25 again.

Here to tell you again you're over-exaggerating and he's washed up. He won't do anything for them. He's not even an every down player anymore. The guy is only one year younger than Tom Brady, but plays linebacker! Think about that.

There was a reason he saw such limited action in Pittsburgh, and it wasn't because of T.J. Watt. He will be another do-nothing player for New England, like so many others.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Except he may have valuable information about the Steelers. I think he can still set an edge but a pass rusher I think not.

That is a good point. New England probably feels the road to the Superbowl is through the Steelers, and considering the Steelers nearly beat them (and should have, imo), the Patriots will be looking for any advantage they can. The Steelers got a first round bye, just like New England.

I'm not sure if everyone realizes how thin the Patriots are at DE right now. They've manufactured some QB pressures (I think they're around 12th in the league in team sacks) but there have been games where the pass rush was almost literally non-existent. Especially the games where they didn't have Trey Flowers. 

One by one they lost players at this spot... Chris Long didn't resign... Ninkovich retired unexpectedly... Kony Ealy didn't pan out... Derek Rivers tore his ACL in camp. Harrison may or may not have much left in the tank, but any contributions he can make will be welcomed and much-needed. 

Getting info on the Steelers is possible, but has minimal impact overall.  Hoody an company get much more info from their Pro scouting division and film study than grilling one ex player.

I've heard more than a few players over the years echo similar sentiments, and the latest was from A.J. Hawk today on 'The Blitz' NFL radio.

BB is mum on what his plans for Harrison are.  I' bet because he has to see how much the guy can pick up scheme wise, and what skills/level he has left.  But it will be a tailored position with specific duties for special situations, no question.

6 hours ago, GoPats said:

I'm not sure if everyone realizes how thin the Patriots are at DE right now. They've manufactured some QB pressures (I think they're around 12th in the league in team sacks) but there have been games where the pass rush was almost literally non-existent. Especially the games where they didn't have Trey Flowers. 

One by one they lost players at this spot... Chris Long didn't resign... Ninkovich retired unexpectedly... Kony Ealy didn't pan out... Derek Rivers tore his ACL in camp. Harrison may or may not have much left in the tank, but any contributions he can make will be welcomed and much-needed. 

I was thinking the same thing. Signing Harrison was a need that didn't have anything to do with what his knowledge of the Steelers is. I highly doubt Harrison would have any information that the Pats don't already know. The signing of a veteran in a position of need don't need to be turned into something other than that. The Pats are making a run in the playoffs and this signing was to help that along.

Belichick has probably more knowledge on Steelers defense than Mike Tomlin himself..

On top of what GoPats said, Steelers have expected their OLBs to cover this year.. a lot.TJ Watt has spent like half of his snaps in coverage and Harrison can't cover at all anymore. Steelers generate pressure by their extremely stout interior (more devastating for QB) and well-disguised blitzes. Their slot corner, Mike Hilton, has 4 sacks. Vince Williams, ILB, has 7 sacks (Watt gas 6).

Harrison is short and strong as an ox even today. He could still cause trouble for taller OTs who cant anchor well. Like Eric Fisher, Chiefs LT, who has historically struggled against Harrison. Harrison's only sack this year came by beating Eric Fisher. Not sure if Harrison can set an edge anymore though, as he seems to have trouble moving. Pats expect all of their edge rushers to set the edge first.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Getting info on the Steelers is possible, but has minimal impact overall.  Hoody an company get much more info from their Pro scouting division and film study than grilling one ex player.

I've heard more than a few players over the years echo similar sentiments, and the latest was from A.J. Hawk today on 'The Blitz' NFL radio.

BB is mum on what his plans for Harrison are.  I' bet because he has to see how much the guy can pick up scheme wise, and what skills/level he has left.  But it will be a tailored position with specific duties for special situations, no question.

Maybe just getting into the Steelers' heads.

As much as I dislike the Patriots I don't think they had anything to do with him bailing on the Steelers. Had another team showed any interest in him I think it would have been reported.

He was signed by the Patriots for one reason and that was need. He will get playing time because his position calls for it. One thing for sure he won't be getting by with any nonsense in New England.

The Patriots just threw the Steelers an their fanbase into a frenzy.  Now instead of preparing for the playoffs, they're hurling invective at the Patriots and their new defensive end.

I don't think this will prove decisive, but as in most things, you accomplish what you focus on.  The Steelers are focused on burning James Harrison.  The Patriots are focused on winning playoff games.

If he was washed up he wouldn’t have been thier best pass rusher last year. This year he was told he was taking a back seat End Of Story not that he wasn’t useful anymore. T.J. watt and the other guy I forget his name have played great and even then the Steelers were telling him he’d play and then didn’t let him due to how decent the young guys were playing if they struggled without a doubt Harrison would’ve been thrown into a starting position same as last year 

10 hours ago, George Peterson said:

The Patriots just threw the Steelers an their fanbase into a frenzy.  Now instead of preparing for the playoffs, they're hurling invective at the Patriots and their new defensive end.

I don't think this will prove decisive, but as in most things, you accomplish what you focus on.  The Steelers are focused on burning James Harrison.  The Patriots are focused on winning playoff games.

I think you are over blowing this up. The fan base are not the ones going out on the field.

Tomlin will have his team ready regardless of Harrison.

46 minutes ago, will426 said:

If he was washed up he wouldn’t have been thier best pass rusher last year. This year he was told he was taking a back seat End Of Story not that he wasn’t useful anymore. T.J. watt and the other guy I forget his name have played great and even then the Steelers were telling him he’d play and then didn’t let him due to how decent the young guys were playing if they struggled without a doubt Harrison would’ve been thrown into a starting position same as last year 

Exactly. Harrison lost his starting job and got benched. He wanted cut earlier in the season but the Steelers didn't have to do anything, he was under contract.

He cleared waivers and no other team showed interest s far as we know. The Pats signed him because they needed him. Not because he was an ex Steeler.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It is widely believed by more than a few reputable ex NFL people that Harrison still has the strength and ability to demonstrate a strong bull rush.  However, they also feel there might little beyond that.

Age various form person to person.

Junior Seau anyone?

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. Harrison lost his starting job and got benched. He wanted cut earlier in the season but the Steelers didn't have to do anything, he was under contract.

He cleared waivers and no other team showed interest s far as we know. The Pats signed him because they needed him. Not because he was an ex Steeler.

They did him wrong I believe everything he says. He’s always been a competitor he never said he wanted to start he said he wanted to play  they lied and kept him from going elsewhere just for the hell of it. Man is 39 years old still training as if he was in his 20s and everyone assumes he just wants to sit on the bench lol this man just wants playtime regardless and ell get that with the pats since their pass rush is only Trey Flowers 

32 minutes ago, will426 said:

They did him wrong I believe everything he says. He’s always been a competitor he never said he wanted to start he said he wanted to play  they lied and kept him from going elsewhere just for the hell of it. Man is 39 years old still training as if he was in his 20s and everyone assumes he just wants to sit on the bench lol this man just wants playtime regardless and ell get that with the pats since their pass rush is only Trey Flowers 

After reading how he was acting during team meetings and film studies it sounds like he was the one who was treating the Steelers wrong. Even leaving meetings and during games.

It's a two way street if blame is pointed.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

He'll probably have a strip sack TD in the final minutes to win the Superbowl after doing nothing in the playoffs. Then Brady will get credit for it like he got credit for Malcolm Butler's INT.

Brady also got credit for the Falcons' playcalling (not running the clock out and kicking a FG, for example), you know.

He's also credited with holding the high-powered Rams offense to 17 points and a pick 6 on them in Super Bowl 36, while he torched the Rams for 130 yards and 10 points and got MVP because of it.

2 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

He's also credited with holding the high-powered Rams offense to 17 points and a pick 6 on them in Super Bowl 36, while he torched the Rams for 130 yards and 10 points and got MVP because of it.

Right. That was the year he won the same amount of games as a backup that his backup won in 2008, even though that backup had nothing to do with winning any or those games.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

After reading how he was acting during team meetings and film studies it sounds like he was the one who was treating the Steelers wrong. Even leaving meetings and during games.

It's a two way street if blame is pointed.

He said he was acting out not wanting to attend meeting and practices because they promised and told him he’d be playing and he was not. Had him practice some weeks before games just to find out he was inactive he spoke on it today and explained exactly why he did so it sounds legit..more legit than his ex teammates who are just bitter that he went to the team who’s been kicking thier behindstheir behinds

10 minutes ago, will426 said:

He said he was acting out not wanting to attend meeting and practices because they promised and told him he’d be playing and he was not. Had him practice some weeks before games just to find out he was inactive he spoke on it today and explained exactly why he did so it sounds legit..more legit than his ex teammates who are just bitter that he went to the team who’s been kicking thier behindstheir behinds

It's simple. He was getting paid to be at those meeting and practices. He was throwing tantrums because he lost his starting job. It was not the Steelers fault he skipped out on the chances to regain his starting position. Instead of him doing the things that would have gave him a better chance or regaining his position he was too busy being a distraction.

The sad truth of the NFL is there is most often no easy ending to a stellar playing career. Very rare a star finished his career with the team where the career was begun and flourished.  Teams decide to move on to younger players, and vets want to move to organizations that want and could use their help in some capacity.  Typically, they can decide/how to split amicably.  Other times...  not so much.

Not matter what, JH perception is he was lied to.  He felt he was told if he signed an extension, he would get playing time.  and he didn't.  He asked to get more playing time, and felt he was told he would.  he still didn't.  He asked to be released, (supposedly 3 different times during the year), the team refused.

This is a situation that can cause all kinds of rifts... and it did.  Whether things happened to Harrison the way he portrays or not, if he feels it has happened that way, then it doesn't matter.  And the record shows he signed a contract... to not play. His subsequent actions show he does indeed still want to play.  So... a messy ending to a career.

But many stars have ended up elsewhere,   Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Reggie White, Emmitt Smith, and Ed Reed for some examples.

If Pitt and NE meet again, I wonder how 'chippy' things will get.  I know JH will try to get back at his old teammates for calling him out, between the whistles.  But will he snap at some point and do so outside the whistle?

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's simple. He was getting paid to be at those meeting and practices. He was throwing tantrums because he lost his starting job. It was not the Steelers fault he skipped out on the chances to regain his starting position. Instead of him doing the things that would have gave him a better chance or regaining his position he was too busy being a distraction.

Lost his job due to performance? No he was told he was gonna be demoted but was also told he’d play which was a lie. He’s throwing a tantrum because he was told he would be involved in games just to find out he wouldn’t be at all which is why he asked NUMEROUS times to be released yet why didn’t the Steelers let him go? It was never a battle for position he never said he wanted to Start he said he wanted to “play” and if you look at his snaps he certainly had not been playing Watt was guaranteed the position the moment he was drafted