Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Matt Nagy Be the Colts’ Next Head Coach?

krunk

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/12/20/16799850/could-chiefs-offensive-coordinator-matt-nagy-be-the-colts-next-head-coach

Just posting this to get a view on the next prospect.  Just like we did with Toub.

Didn't know he's worked with Howard Mudd before.

I hope not, he's too gimmicky for my taste.  And he's too formation based... meaning you can tell a lot of what he's going to run based on the formation.  He has improved over the last couple of weeks.

Also, I am of the belief that if you have a first time HC you need an experienced GM. If you have a first time GM (which Ballard is) you need an experienced HC.  And while I'm not a fan of some of the names tossed around like Gruden and Cowher, I do think someone that has been a HC before is needed.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

If he made Alex Smith look good, I'd love to see what he can do with Luck. 

Just not sure about it being in the head coach capacity. Maybe QB coach? 

He's already on offensive coordinator.  Why would he take a job as a position coach?

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I hope not, he's too gimmicky for my taste.  And he's too formation based... meaning you can tell a lot of what he's going to run based on the formation.  He has improved over the last couple of weeks.

Also, I am of the belief that if you have a first time HC you need an experienced GM. If you have a first time GM (which Ballard is) you need an experienced HC.  And while I'm not a fan of some of the names tossed around like Gruden and Cowher, I do think someone that has been a HC before is needed.

I agree with CD.

That is why Josh McDaniels is at the top of my list. If we do go after an OC, it would have to be someone who has head coach demeanor and possibly someone who has multiple stints as OC because he would have worked with multiple head coaches (Bruce Arians was one of those too). That is where Frank Reich fits the bill, IMO.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/4-bears-questions-is-eagles-frank-reich-a-bears-coach-candidate/

The other aspect of it is if the new HC is willing to hire experienced guys for DC to help him with the job.

I wouldn't mind Josh McDaniels as HC with Rex Ryan as DC, both of them would know a thing or two about beating the Patriots and winning in the AFC, which will be important, IMO.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I've thought more about Frank Reich myself just because the familiarity.   And also like Nagy he's a former quarterback.   Not sure what defensive scheme he would prefer but wherever I've seen him it's usually a 4-3 defense.

A guy who has coached both 4-3 and 3-4 styles would be Vic Fangio. If there is a clean up in Chicago with John Fox and his coaches let go, I would not mind him at all for a parallel DC position. I feel Ballard would be giving him better personnel than Fangio's first stint in Indy from 1999-2001. 

If he made Alex Smith look good, I'd love to see what he can do with Luck. 

Just not sure about it being in the head coach capacity. Maybe QB coach? 

Nagy is the OC for the Chiefs now.    Quarterback coach would be a big step backwards.    

If he's leaving the Chiefs and Andy Reid, it's to be a head coach somewhere....

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A guy who has coached both 4-3 and 3-4 styles would be Vic Fangio. If there is a clean up in Chicago with John Fox and his coaches let go, I would not mind him at all for a parallel DC position.

I don't know if I see us bringing Fangio back again after firing him the first time.  We usually don't bring back coaches we've fired before.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know if I see us bringing Fangio back again after firing him the first time.  We usually don't bring back coaches we've fired before.

New HC, experienced DC. 

Doug Pederson - Jim Schwartz, Sean McVay - Wade Philips, Anthony Lynn - Gus Bradley, seems to be the trend.

Frank Reich, Rex Ryan should work then!!! :) 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

New HC, experienced DC. 

Doug Pederson - Jim Schwartz, Sean McVay - Wade Philips, Anthony Lynn - Gus Bradley, seems to be the trend.

Frank Reich, Rex Ryan should work then!!! :) 

I'm not sure if Rex ego would allow him to be a DC again.  He's convinced he's definitely HC material!   I could see somebody like Mike Pettine coming back as a DC.  Pettine is who I thought Chuck would probably choose as our DC last year but he didnt.

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Oh you mean, like our QB coach Shotty, who used to be an OC? 

Brian was a couple OC who's HC has just been fired.  Nagy is a sitting OC on the rise with an NFL team.  Huge difference between Brian's situation at the time compared to Nagy's current situation. 

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Oh you mean, like our QB coach Shotty, who used to be an OC? 

Oh Dear God.  Surely you are not this clueless and just being argumentative.

Schotty did not leave an existing OC job to be the Colts' QB coach.

Nagy would not even be allowed to be the Colts' OC if the Chiefs did not want him to leave.  Nagy sure as hell is not coming to Indy to be QB coach.  

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Brian was a couple OC who's HC has just been fired.  Nagy is a sitting OC on the rise with an NFL team.  Huge difference between Brian's situation at the time compared to Nagy's current situation. 

He won't grasp the concept.

46 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure if Rex ego would allow him to be a DC again.  He's convinced he's definitely HC material!   I could see somebody like Mike Pettine coming back as a DC.  Pettine is who I thought Chuck would probably choose as our DC last year but he didnt.

I think, he would, in the right situation. A sales pitch would definitely be needed, along with plenty of green, of course. :) 

If Irsay cannot get that "splash hire" at the HC level, he wouldn't mind a "splash hire" at the DC level if it is the right fit.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think, he would, in the right situation. A sales pitch would definitely be needed, along with plenty of green, of course. :) 

If Irsay cannot get that "splash hire" at the HC level, he wouldn't mind a "splash hire" at the DC level if it is the right fit.

It strikes me as highly unlikely that a guy like Ryan leaves the comforts of TV to be a coordinator.  It is not without precedent - see Eric Mangini - but I thing there are major differences between those two.

The other thing is the Bills defense was decidedly better before Ryan got to Buffalo.  I am not sure he would highly sought after anyway.

56 minutes ago, krunk said:

Good choice that guy can coach D and he got a raw deal with the Browns he never had and talent there 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Good choice that guy can coach D and he got a raw deal with the Browns he never had and talent there 

Yeah if we chose Toub(not my first choice) as the coach I could see him pick somebody like Pettine as DC.  Just my gut

No. KC's offense has been bottom tier for the past few seasons. This season may or may not be an outlier...but I am not buying high on Nagy just to find out.

Plus, I am generally not interested in a guy who was part of an offense (and who coached the QB) that couldn't complete one TD to a WR in an entire season...and who generally has low production at WR (until this season). Tired of having a limited OC that can't scheme for more than a couple guys. Also, the Colts don't have a talent like Kelce at TE...which is a huge part of what KC does. 

The best offenses utilze their depth chart. NE, PHI (this season), ATL and NO have all taught us this. Which is why Shanahan would have been the perfect guy last offseason. His ATL offense was historically good. And since going to SF, their offense has improved from #31 in offensive yards to #14 in just one season. 

But there are definitely other guys out there that have this type of potential. And getting a youngish OC is definitely the right track. I just don't think Nagy is that guy.

36 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

No. KC's offense has been bottom tier for the past few seasons. This season may or may not be an outlier...but I am not buying high on Nagy just to find out.

Plus, I am generally not interested in a guy who was part of an offense (and who coached the QB) that couldn't complete one TD to a WR in an entire season...and who generally has low production at WR (until this season). Tired of having a limited OC that can't scheme for more than a couple guys. Also, the Colts don't have a talent like Kelce at TE...which is a huge part of what KC does. 

The best offenses utilze their depth chart. NE, PHI (this season), ATL and NO have all taught us this. Which is why Shanahan would have been the perfect guy last offseason. His ATL offense was historically good. And since going to SF, their offense has improved from #31 in offensive yards to #14 in just one season. 

But there are definitely other guys out there that have this type of potential. And getting a youngish OC is definitely the right track. I just don't think Nagy is that guy.

He wasn't the OC in those years previous, he was the QB coach.  He just became the OC this year and for parts of the year Andy Reid was the one calling the plays.  Offense didn't take off until Nagy took over the play calling.  Reid holds him in high regard.   Sort of rare for Reid to give up the play calling duties to anyone.  And for the record I like Andy Reids playcalling

There's this one thing that changes people's minds all the time. Stop me if you heard of it:  

Image result for money gif

So are you suggesting that the Colts hire Nagy to be the QB coach, but pay him like a head coach?

Unless Andy Reid gets fired or Nagy gets a head coaching job, he's not likely to leave KC. The Chiefs would have to release him from his contract if he wanted to leave for anything other than a head coaching job.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

He wasn't the OC in those years previous, he was the QB coach.  He just became the OC this year and for parts of the year Andy Reid was the one calling the plays.  Offense didn't take off until Nagy took over the play calling.  Reid holds him in high regard.   Sort of rare for Reid to give up the play calling duties to anyone.

Even to start the season, Alex Smith looked like an entirely different QB, throwing downfield, etc. Then the entire offense hit a rut, and didn't start clicking again until Nagy took over the play sheet.

I'd interview him. He wouldn't be at the top of my list, but I would have him on the list, for sure.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

He wasn't the OC in those years previous, he was the QB coach.  He just became the OC this year and for parts of the year Andy Reid was the one calling the plays.  Offense didn't take off until Nagy took over the play calling.  Reid holds him in high regard.   Sort of rare for Reid to give up the play calling duties to anyone.

Ding ding ding.   We have a winner!!

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Even to start the season, Alex Smith looked like an entirely different QB, throwing downfield, etc. Then the entire offense hit a rut, and didn't start clicking again until Nagy took over the play sheet.

I'd interview him. He wouldn't be at the top of my list, but I would have him on the list, for sure.

I would too.  I've listened to him a couple times just to get a feel for him .

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

He wasn't the OC in those years previous, he was the QB coach.  He just became the OC this year and for parts of the year Andy Reid was the one calling the plays.  Offense didn't take off until Nagy took over the play calling.

He was co-OC last season...and KC was a below average offense. And when he was the QB coach, KC was a bottom-tier offense. He wasn't running the offense, but I don't really see how his time as QB coach is a plus. KC didn't rely on Smith the way that the Colts would (and should) rely on Luck.

I just don't see the production on his resume that screams HC material. And if he wasn't even calling plays until that past three games, then he also lacks experience in that department. That's not really his fault, but it's also not something that can just be ignored. Also, I would hope the Colts wouldn't hire a guy off a three game sample.

Guys like McVay and Shanahan had stronger resumes...and it has translated well. But Nagy is a much bigger question mark at this point. Two years from now...it might be a different story. But right now I don't see much that makes me want him to be the Colts HC. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

In case you said it and I missed it...sorry...   who is your top choice or are your top 3?

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He was co-OC last season...and KC was a below average offense. And when he was the QB coach, KC was a bottom-tier offense. He wasn't running the offense, but I don't really see how his time as QB coach is a plus. KC didn't rely on Smith the way that the Colts would (and should) rely on Luck.

I just don't see the production on his resume that screams HC material. And if he wasn't even calling plays until that past three games, then he also lacks experience in that department. That's not really his fault, but it's also not something that can just be ignored. Also, I would hope the Colts wouldn't hire a guy off a three game sample.

Guys like McVay and Shanahan had stronger resumes...and it has translated well. But Nagy is a much bigger question mark at this point. Two years from now...it might be a different story. But right now I don't see much that makes me want him to be the Colts HC. 

Reid has mostly always called the plays IIRC and for him to give that up to Nagy says a lot to me.  While I think Reid makes some boneheaded coaching decisions I still respect him as a coach.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I am sure he gets an interview...even if it's just a courtesy. But he can't be the guy...yet.

4 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

In case you said it and I missed it...sorry...   who is your top choice or are your top 3?

I don't have a top three yet. The only guy that I feel good about is McDaniels, but I haven't really formed a strong opinion on anyone else yet.