Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Celebrations

Mr.NotSoCreative

4 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I'm not a fan of the celebrations. To me there is no reason to celebrate when you're down 3 scores and your team is going no where near the playoffs. It's like watching the browns celebrate. If you did good that week, and want to go out and celebrate that's another thing. 

I fell in love with football back in 02. It sure has changed a lot since then. Idk. Maybe it's this generation. In the end though, I'm not going to complain about the celebrations. But that doesn't mean I understand it. 

Its just not fun to watch anymore. It was still fun to watch in 2011 when we were 2-14. 

I don't like them at all.   When the team is losing it is real bad.  

I'm in the minority, but I liked the No Fun League.   These choreographed celebrations annoy me.   I find it embarrassing.   I say that because my wife walked in during one and asked what they were doing because she thought I was watching football.

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't like them at all.   When the team is losing it is real bad.  

I'm in the minority, but I liked the No Fun League.   These choreographed celebrations annoy me.   I find it embarrassing.   I say that because my wife walked in during one and asked what they were doing because she thought I was watching football.

People only seem to be bothered offensive players celebrate, but have no problem when a defensive guy celebrates a sack, forced fumble, or interception. I'm fine with all of it. If I wanted to watch some boring working stiff just "do his job," I wouldn't be tuning in to watch the NFL.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

People only seem to be bothered offensive players celebrate, but have no problem when a defensive guy celebrates a sack, forced fumble, or interception. I'm fine with all of it. If I wanted to watch some boring working stiff just "do his job," I wouldn't be tuning in to watch the NFL.

I'd rather watch replay of the dentist pulling all of my teeth out than this current Colts' team, celebrations or no celebrations.  The on-field product is that bad.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So guys like Marvin Harrison. Barry Sanders Peyton Manning Edgerine James Jerry's Rice.  To name a few aren't worth watching?

I will assume you tuned in to watching guys do their jobs for many yrs now correct?  What about this  choreographed nonsense interests you?   

I mean my 7 yr old gets a kick out of it. But he's 7 

nothing wring with spiking the ball and hi 5ing your team mates but this other % is stupid and doesn't belong in the game.   It's not the WWF or Roller Derby 

On 11/28/2017 at 2:37 PM, ND Irish said:

Im not sure if it was Doyle or Holder that wrote the article but it nailed the head on a topic ive complained about countless times. Although I dont think these guys are a bunch of losers, it annoys the living #$% out of me how so many of our guys, and others, cannot just simply make a play then move on without putting on a show. Sure the game is supposed to be fun, but it is also a job, business, whatever. TY doing his ty dance, Crief dropping the mike, Rogers, lol. TY is a ghost more often than not, Crief im almost certain dropped his next attempt, Rogers arguably lost the game with his. Why cant they just play the dam game! If you are losing shouldnt they take it a bit more serious? Never saw Harrison once be a showboat, and that dude had his chances and could back it up. Losers is a bit much, jokes is how I put it. Bunch of jokers. Selfish jokers. 

The one time Marv did celebrate, it was awesome!  

18 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

So guys like Marvin Harrison. Barry Sanders Peyton Manning Edgerine James Jerry's Rice.  To name a few aren't worth watching?

I will assume you tuned in to watching guys do their jobs for many yrs now correct?  What about this  choreographed nonsense interests you?   

I mean my 7 yr old gets a kick out of it. But he's 7 

nothing wring with spiking the ball and hi 5ing your team mates but this other % is stupid and doesn't belong in the game.   It's not the WWF or Roller Derby 

First of all, there was nothing "boring" about any of those players that you mentioned. And yeah, the celebrations are funny to me, sorry if you feel differently, but when the entire Eagles offense did the Electric Slide the other day, I thought it was hilarious.

18 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

First of all, there was nothing "boring" about any of those players that you mentioned. And yeah, the celebrations are funny to me, sorry if you feel differently, but when the entire Eagles offense did the Electric Slide the other day, I thought it was hilarious.

If a player wants to celebrate so be it.  If the whole team gets involved...well that is typically funny.  TD's are not easy to come by and when you get that, who cares if you celebrate.  No one is saying it should be over the top theatrics as he did with the WWE comment.  But I am with you on this!

I'm a huge fan of touchdown celebrations. It makes the game even better to watch. The Eagles taking a squad pic after a TD was awesome!

However, you shouldn't be celebrating when your team is struggling. I don't mind TY doing his little dance because he's arguably the best player on the team right now. I do mind Moncrief celebrating first downs and touchdowns because he's been dropping passes and disappearing all season. Nobody on the team should be overly celebrating, leave that % to the successful teams. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

After looking at the replay IMO Marv didn't deserve the flag. He spiked the ball but didn't intend for it to bounce off a Pats players face. :lol:

I am not sure on that... he seemed like he spiked it right at him and then he jaws with him a little afterwards. The knock on the Colts at that time was they were 'too soft' and I think Marv spiked that ball to make a statement that he (and his team) weren't backing down.

I cannot find it on the internet, but I remember a game vs. the Ravens where Marvin early on in the game blocked one of their LBers (may have been Lewis) by grabbing him by the facemask and taking him to the ground.  I believe he got a penalty there, too, but it set the tone to let the mean Ravens we weren't as soft as everyone claimed.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I am not sure on that... he seemed like he spiked it right at him and then he jaws with him a little afterwards. The knock on the Colts at that time was they were 'too soft' and I think Marv spiked that ball to make a statement that he (and his team) weren't backing down.

I cannot find it on the internet, but I remember a game vs. the Ravens where Marvin early on in the game blocked one of their LBers (may have been Lewis) by grabbing him by the facemask and taking him to the ground.  I believe he got a penalty there, too, but it set the tone to let the mean Ravens we weren't as soft as everyone claimed.

Well in reality the Colts were soft. They couldn't play in bad weather very well and there were times when they were run all over. Their special teams play was the softest in the league at times.

On 11/28/2017 at 4:36 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Its ridiculous how they make these big celebrations, and they are LOSING the game.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:15 AM, rockywoj said:

My opinion on excess celebrating while losing ...

On 11/29/2017 at 6:50 AM, NannyMcafee said:

I'm not a fan of the celebrations. To me there is no reason to celebrate when you're down 3 scores

You guys know it was a tie game when Moncrief did his little dance, right?

Maybe you're talking more abstract, and not just about this specific instance... 

On 11/29/2017 at 2:19 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I tune in to watch the teams do their job.   If you need more, perhaps the WWE is more to your liking.  

I get that some people like them, but I don't.   It seems too amateur to me.  

On 11/30/2017 at 1:48 PM, tikyle said:

OP,

If you risked your long term health and quality of living for the entertainment of others, you don't think you are warranted to overtly celebrate a moment that brings you joy?

That's not why they risk health and quality of living. They do it for the money.

Football is a game of passion and emotion. If you love the game then you are gonna get fired up about making a big play. That enthusiasm is contagious. id rather have that then them be flat all night. The best example is Cam Newton,  he plays his best football when he is out celebrating and having fun. 

43 minutes ago, Roger said:

That's not why they risk health and quality of living. They do it for the money.

Exactly.  Want to see someone who risks their lives and quality of living, see Fire Fighters, Cops, and especially the Military.  NFL players are doing it solely for self pride and for money.  Not for you and I.

OP,

If you risked your long term health and quality of living for the entertainment of others, you don't think you are warranted to overtly celebrate a moment that brings you joy?

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I tune in to watch the teams do their job.   If you need more, perhaps the WWE is more to your liking.  

I get that some people like them, but I don't.   It seems too amateur to me.  

The celebrations aren't why I tune in, not even in the slightest, so the WWE comment is way off the mark. My stance on celebrations is that given the grind of the NFL season, the fact that these guys are in constant jeopardy of losing their job literally every day, and the amount of practice and preparation that goes into on-field execution taking place, the celebrations seem warranted in more circumstances than not. Some are a little over the top and corny, but it is what it is. I think if a football fan is legitimately angry over players celebrating, it says a lot more about that person than it does the athletes.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The celebrations aren't why I tune in, not even in the slightest, so the WWE comment is way off the mark. My stance on celebrations is that given the grind of the NFL season, the fact that these guys are in constant jeopardy of losing their job literally every day, and the amount of practice and preparation that goes into on-field execution taking place, the celebrations seem warranted in more circumstances than not. Some are a little over the top and corny, but it is what it is. I think if a football fan is legitimately angry over players celebrating, it says a lot more about that person than it does the athletes.

I think they tried this nonsense before.  It was called the XFL

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Exactly, these people put their bodies on the line in a game played for our enjoyment.  Sports are very emotional, not only for the fans, but the players, hoping their hard work will pay off.  It's a very up and down environment, causing many to suffer depression because of it.  It's true, this team is not very good, but expecting them not to enjoy the high moments is pretty ridiculous.  While they are ones on the field, they aren't all entirely responsible for the failures of this team.  It is ultimately up to Irsay, Ballard and the rest of the front office to ensure this team is successful.  Now if at the end of the season, Irsay/Ballard are satisfied with the results that is an entirely different story.  But not expecting someone playing the game to be emotional is absurd to say the least.  

If the players had their way the game would be stopped and music played to enhance their celebrations to a full 60 seconds then they would insist they be included for nominations for emmys and grammys. Between dressing like clowns when thy travel, on field protests, celebrations, pseudo-dramatic post game press conferences, owners complaints and disputes, stupid rule changes, commissioner battles, new non-contact practice rules, excessive media exposure, penalties for breathing on the quarterbacks it is no small wonder media revenues and fan attendance is going down. Football is now showtime!