Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For Those Who Are Optimistic

bWild

This is great news!

Weinke had neck surgery a while back, and I trust him when it comes to neck stuff. He knows what he's talking about becuase he has a ton of experience regarding this kind of surgery.

So the neck will be fine, but will the arms be fine too?

So it took Wenke 2 years to get back? And he was what? 26 - 28? Add 10 years to that in this case.

I guess the question is, can we AFFORD to take the risk AND wait?

Wenke wasn't due 35 million.

I'd like Manning to be back on the team IF he can contribute AND he'll accept Luck at the first pick.

If Manning isn't back on the team, I respect him enough as a player and desire enough to see him play that I hope he plays anywhere.

Of course I'd rather if it were here.

So it took Wenke 2 years to get back? And he was what? 26 - 28? Add 10 years to that in this case.

I'd like Manning to be back on the team IF he can contribute AND he'll accept Luck at the first pick.

If Manning isn't back on the team, I respect him enough as a player and desire enough to see him play that I hope he plays anywhere.

Oh Wool, you are soon to join the Debbie Downer Club. :thmup:

Oh Wool, you are soon to join the Debbie Downer Club. :thmup:

Oh crap. I didn't mean to join THAT club!

Seriously tho, I just don't know what to think anymore.

I really am an optimistic person. But my head isn't in the clouds.

I'm a numbers guy. A "right side of the brain" kind of guy. I need proof for everything.

Faith and hope and luck (no pun intended) are for the weak and lazy, imo. (and I'm not referring to religion so PLEASE don't misinterpret me)

Oh crap. I didn't mean to join THAT club!

I really am an optimistic person. But my head isn't in the clouds.

I'm a numbers guy. A "right side of the brain" kind of guy. I need proof for everything.

Faith and hope and luck (no pun intended) are for the weak and lazy, imo. (and I'm not referring to religion so PLEASE don't misinterpret me)

Because you are a numbers guy, like me, you like the nitty gritty details to prove out things. You do not trust the magical wave of the hand.

You need to be shown the credible evidence to support something before accepting it as truth.

Same here.

Because you are a numbers guy, like me, you like the nitty gritty details to prove out things. You do not trust the magical wave of the hand.

You need to be shown the credible evidence to support something before accepting it as truth.

Same here.

Its an asset AND a curse.

And it can get you "beat up" around here for sure.

I've noticed you've been taking some "punches" lately.

My educational background is in the sciences. Especially physics, mathmatics, and engineering.

Its just the way my mind is "wired". It has served me well.

However, it might have something to do with me being single. I OVER-analyze EVERYTHING. haha

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, February 18, 2012 - Laughing at another member
Hidden by 21isSuperman, February 18, 2012 - Laughing at another member

Same here.

LOL...You are absolutely NOT a numbers guy, using facts and stats to prove...well, nothing.

You stage loaded questions and scenarios, and you're the first to rush into any positive news about Manning to be sure to shoot it down with pure, adulterated, opinion.

LOL...a numbers guy..

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, February 18, 2012 - Unnecessary shot
Hidden by 21isSuperman, February 18, 2012 - Unnecessary shot

LOL...You are absolutely NOT a numbers guy, using facts and stats to prove...well, nothing.

You stage loaded questions and scenarios, and you're the first to rush into any positive news about Manning to be sure to shoot it down with pure, adulterated, opinion.

LOL...a numbers guy..

Ha, I knew your attention seeking apology thread a few weeks ago was a gimmick. Welcome back the 'Real Doog'.....

Quality.

This is great news!

Weinke had neck surgery a while back, and I trust him when it comes to neck stuff. He knows what he's talking about becuase he has a ton of experience regarding this kind of surgery.

So the neck will be fine, but will the arms be fine too?

I have no idea what's going on with Peyton and don't know what the recovery is like from a procedure like this. But wouldn't the arm strength and movement in the arm be back to normal after the nerve heals? The arm might be a little weaker than before, but the muscle can be rebuilt. Wouldn't everything else be back to normal after the nerve is healed?

Ha, I knew your attention seeking apology thread a few weeks ago was a gimmick. Welcome back the 'Real Doog'.....

Quality.

Doogan and i had our differences too. I'm not sure where he's coming from sometimes and wasn't sure how to take that apology thread either.

Perhaps he's on an "emotional rollercoaster" like many of us. Now, when someone on here really gets under my skin, I just block their posts so I'm not tempted to retaliate.

I know I had a post where i ripped manning a while back which I wish I could take back. 15 minutes after I posted it I felt bad and was embarrassed of what I said and I too apologized for it and was totally sincere about that apology. It was fueled TOTALLY by emotion.

Some of us (me included sometimes) let our emotions get the best of us and don't think before we hit the "post" button.

I know I personally am trying to watch my words more carefully as to not offend anyone and not say things that i truly don't mean.

But not everyone thinks that way. None of us really know the true feelings or intentions of others here. We can just go by what we read and feel.

Doogan and i had our differences too. I'm not sure where he's coming from sometimes and wasn't sure how to take that apology thread either.

Perhaps he's on an "emotional rollercoaster" like many of us. Now, when someone on here really gets under my skin, I just block their posts so I'm not tempted to retaliate.

I know I had a post where i ripped manning a while back which I wish I could take back. 15 minutes after I posted it I felt bad and was embarrassed of what I said and I too apologized for it and was totally sincere about that apology. It was fueled TOTALLY by emotion.

Some of us (me included sometimes) let our emotions get the best of us and don't think before we hit the "post" button.

I know I personally am trying to watch my words more carefully as to not offend anyone and not say things that i truly don't mean.

But not everyone thinks that way. None of us really know the true feelings or intentions of others here. We can just go by what we read and feel.

Well, Wool, I think doogan's true intention was to insult me in his last post. Do you disagree?

Well, Wool, I think doogan's true intention was to insult me in his last post. Do you disagree?

I won't disagree. He was pretty direct with his opinion on that.

I too feel you are somewhat one-sided on your opinion sometimes.

But that is your opinion and I respect it. And you've never even remotely attacked me for my opinions.

If we all had the same perspective on things this forum wouldn't be of much use.

You REALLY take a beating around here at times.

maybe some people don't like frogs. haha

But that is your opinion and I respect it. And you've never even remotely attacked me for my opinions.

If we all had the same perspective on things this forum wouldn't be of much use.

Unlike others, I don't begrudge others of their opinion, even if they differ from mine.

And I certainly do not insult anyone for having different opinions.

Yes, I do take many insults directed at me here in these forums. However, I think it is not because they dislike frogs. I think it is more that I represent the reality of the situation that they would rather not see or contemplate. Yes, I do express opinions, but often, I support those opinions with facts.

Unlike others, I don't begrudge others of their opinion, even if they differ from mine.

And I certainly do not insult anyone for having different opinions.

Yes, I do take many insults directed at me here in these forums. However, I think it is not because they dislike frogs. I think it is more that I represent the reality of the situation that they would rather not see or contemplate. Yes, I do express opinions, but often, I support those opinions with facts.

remember the message I sent you about what I heard from my "source"?

I knew you would believe it or not (which is ok with me), but I knew you wouldn't "blast" me for saying it.

If I would have posted it for everyone, I'd have a knife in my back like you do. haha

Now, as things have progressed and leaked out in the past few weeks, my "source" seems more believeable, doesn't it?

remember the message I sent you about what I heard from my "source"?

I knew you would believe it or not (which is ok with me), but I knew you wouldn't "blast" me for saying it.

If I would have posted it for everyone, I'd have a knife in my back like you do. haha

Now, as things have progressed and leaked out in the past few weeks, my "source" seems more believeable, doesn't it?

Yes, your source thus far, has been correct.

BTW, those knives in my back don't seem to bother me much.

So this guy who had the same problem as Manning, that took two years to come back in his late 20s, and had to re-learn how to throw a football, says in his gut he thinks Peyton will be back and better than ever.

I can see it now..."5 year old girl in downtown Miami has gut feeling that Manning will be better than ever"

I like you guys but you gotta stop taking every little thing and running with it like it's gold.

So this guy who had the same problem as Manning, that took two years to come back in his late 20s, and had to re-learn how to throw a football, says in his gut he thinks Peyton will be back and better than ever.

I can see it now..."5 year old girl in downtown Miami has gut feeling that Manning will be better than ever"

I like you guys but you gotta stop taking every little thing and running with it like it's gold.

:thmup: Welcome to another charter member of the Debbie Downer club.

Thank you for providing the other side of the coin picture, and bringing facts from the article that balance the otherwise unbridled optimism.

Keep it real, and watch your back.

I think most of us are acting this way due to the way this organization has been run the past several years. Everything was always kept under wraps and info only got out when things were finalized (well, for the most part). Now, with all this attention and "controversy" it's almost like all this useless info is gold or atleast it seems like that to me since I'm not used to it from my team.

Must say I agree with you.

I didn’t find many positive facts in the article other than the gut feeling of a person and the fact that it is possible to come back from the injury (which I felt we already knew). And I think the most uncertain aspect is how long it will take, and the answer to that question didn’t get any brighter from this article.

For the record, the apology thread was no gimmick. I was saying bloody awful things to a few people around here, and they were not deserving. My emotional state had nothing to do with football or the 2011 Colts season.

Calling out someone's MSNBC-style sensationalism and agenda-pushing spin, on the other hand, is just good (and easy) work. It's no fun for anyone to see the same handful of people distort every report about this team, about Manning, about Irsay, what have you, just to make it sound exactly as they want it to, and then salt-blast everyone who views it the opposite way. The offenders use witty quips, and pull headlines/sound bytes from elsewhere and shove them down our throats until the unlearned masses accept it. Like indoctrinated elementary students with things like social justice instead of math and the Constitution.

It's not an insult to tell someone who's wrong that they're wrong.

Edited by shecolt
calling out the moderators

I'm right there with ya. It would be tough to see Manning go, but I have already grown numb to that idea with all the speculation and anticipation. Who knows what's going to happen, I just try to look at the bright sides of both situations.

Wet blanket on one of the only happy threads alert.

I speak about all of the people who want to dump Peyton like he's old news. I find that to be pretty negative.

I don't think anyone wants to dump Peyton like he's old news.

But, his contract and his neck....and his age......and our #1 draft pick.....have led a number of fans to conclude that it's likely....and possibly preferable to release him.

The appreciation and respect is there though

This is wonderful news and if a few people who could look at a glass nearly running over and say "That glass is .005% empty" can't see it then that is their problem. I hope they get their wish and Manning gets released only to play better than he has in a long time.

It will be entertaining to read their predictably sour grapes as they say they knew it all along and accuse Manning of sandbagging the franchise and Irsay of being a fool for letting him get away.

I agree Maureen. Accepting the reallity of the situation is in no way a slight on Peyton, but the 'Manning First - Colts Second' brigade refuse to see that. Or most of them anyway.

I'm not sure what the current "reality" of the situation is beyond the fact that Peyton hasn't thrown a pass in combat in a long time.

Until that situation goes one way or the other, I see two dominant thoughts being posted on the forum.

1) When Peyton gets back to form, he's the best bet to pick up the winning where we left off two seasons ago.

2) Peyton's done and wont't be back to form, so move on now.

Until there is a definitive statement on Peyton's arm strength, these two thoughts will clash.

This is wonderful news and if a few people who could look at a glass nearly running over and say "That glass is .005% empty" can't see it then that is their problem. I hope they get their wish and Manning gets released only to play better than he has in a long time.

It will be entertaining to read their predictably sour grapes as they say they knew it all along and accuse Manning of sandbagging the franchise and Irsay of being a fool for letting him get away.

The glass is "nearly running over"?

What would you base this on? A guy who made NO impact in the NFL whatsoever and was 10 years younger and had 1 surgery , not 3 (or4)?

"gets released only to play better than he has in a long time"? In the last year? he'd only have to take 1 snap. in the last several years? He'd have to win the super bowl.

I'm all for optimism. But I don't see anything to back up the statements you made.

Wenke...... haha

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

This gives me comfort as I'm surrounded by all of the infectious negativity.

I am optimistic about the Colts future mainly because of the "new direction" surrounding the defense and the fact that we have the number 1 pick. I wish that new defense (it's not actually here yet and may never really be) was around during Peyton's years. Your post must either be about Peyton being a Colt next year or about Peyton playing at all next year. I don't think Peyton will be a Colt next year but I will certainly be looking forward to watching him play again. Will he play again ... don't know. If he doesn't, he will be fine as he has passed all previous challenges.

As for the Colts ... I am looking forward to the combines, the draft, the 2012 pre-season, the 2012 season and oh yes .. the 2012 post-season. Now if I can just get that 2 and 12 season out of my head. GO COLTS!

I like the "Frog Man" as "Crazy Unc" likes to call him. I generally understand his perspective and how he views things analytically. I don't think he is a Manning hater really. However, Doog's "plague of frogs" reference from an earlier post was classic...pretty well played. I laughed so hard after reading that one. Sorry but gotta give him his due there. haha

Anyway, like Wool was saying it basically took Weinart 2 years to go from surgery to Heisman at age 26 to 28. Peyton had the surgery at 35 which would probably equate to him being 37 before he could be close to previous form. This is probably very generous though given how the human body generally does not recover as quickly as it ages. Peyton could conceivably require more time. So this to me still sounds like too long of a time table from the Colts' perspective. But we will see.

I agree Maureen. Accepting the reallity of the situation is in no way a slight on Peyton, but the 'Manning First - Colts Second' brigade refuse to see that. Or most of them anyway.

Be careful throwing that label around too liberally. Some of us believe that placing a priority on Manning IS putting the Colts first.

There is a gentle balance between whats best for our long-term and whats bets for the short term, in terms of season and post season success.