Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning: ''Will He Ever Return To Indianapolis?"

Dark Superman

I know how much Colts fans would love to see Peyton Manning return to Indianapolis in some type of management role, as would I, but I'm not convinced that the relationship between Jim Irsay and Peyton Manning is all sunshine and rainbows. He spent 14 years as our starting QB and still decided to retire a Denver Bronco (Which surprised me at the time) and when I rewatched the release press conference of Manning back in 2012 I got the impression that his relationship with Jim Irsay wasn't as good as most people thought.

Just curious what you all think about Peyton possible returning here to Indianapolis down the road?

I don't see any of it. I think he wants to be like his dad and be a father to his children. He already has such a wonderful legacy in Tennessee and Indy and Denver why ruin it? If he did want to get into coaching I think he would have to work his way up and I don't see it. But maybe as a qb coach, oc, then hc. He also seems to like to work with kids so maybe he would want to do that in Tennessee. Perhaps someday he would just follow in John Elways footsteps but for now we don't have a position I feel in the front office that would fit him. I think any hard feelings would be long gone...he has a lot of friends and teammates around the organization that I think he still has good feelings about his time here.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It would destroy his legacy 

Elway has only increased his legacy and this is someone Manning was around for a few years.  He might have picked his brain a little, who knows.  You have a 50/50 shot and I am a glass half full guy.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I think a new spot would be created.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea I would have to agree.

Here's the rumor mill (JMV, Kravitz, etc.) if I am remembering correctly. Irsay pursued Manning and Gruden last off season. PM would be brought in as team president, which basically means he steps into Irsay's role. Hierarchy would be team pres, GM, HC. PM didn't come through because they could not agree on partial ownership as part of this role. JMV was saying a few weeks ago that Irsay is going to make another run at PM this off season. Who knows if there is anything to any of this...Manning, Ballard, a new HC, and healthy Luck would sure give some hope to a situation where the further along we get the more I'm starting to feel like bad management will be the biggest factor in Luck never reaching his potential. I have always been an Irsay supporter but I must say I am starting to wonder if it is time for him to take a hands off approach. 

The man has enough time, talent and money to do whatever he wishes. If making nationwide commercials with Brad Paisley, owning pizza franchises, being with his wife and kids is enough- who in the world needs the hassle of pro football.

If he wants a challenge, the Colts are certainly that

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I believe Manning would not come because of Irsay.

Don't want to get into a debate with this but based on what? Irsay just put up a statue of him and they were  hugging each either, etc.. They probably ate at St Elmo and had drinks together for all we know. I think what I said in my last sentence is more true than Peyton not liking Irsay.

7 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Elway has only increased his legacy and this is someone Manning was around for a few years.  He might have picked his brain a little, who knows.  You have a 50/50 shot and I am a glass half full guy.

Yes and look at the Broncos now Elway failed to find an adequate heir apparent to Manning so that luster has dulled a bit now and Elway is pretty much hard if not impossible to fire despite all of this. Unlike Manning he waited till he learned the business and his kids were grown. (Manning's kids are small why would he take this on now?)

This would be the same with Manning if he didn't live up to the unrealistic expectations people would have of him as a FO guy. People are turning on Chris Ballard already and he hasn't even been here a full year.

I also don't see him giving up commercials to run a team. Or go into politics or be a play by play guy(which for some reason people insist he wants either option and yet has refuted both of them repeatedly)

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Based on? He was just honored in Indy a few weeks ago. 

And?

He doesn't have ill will towards the fans or the city itself. It was a significant time in his life would have made him look bad if he turned it down. 

Doesn't mean he wants to run the Colts either and he shouldn't feel obligated to.

Especially since he's made his permanent home in Denver.

I think they have a great relationship.  JMV says PM wants to be in football but last year wasn't the time.  I know JMV isn't completely in the know, but he does get some insider info and is typically right.

Peyton knows that Jim letting him go was a business decision and that it was probably a really hard one to make.  I don't think he holds that against Irsay- at all. 

I truly believe that PM wants to be involved and I think the first place he would be willing to consider is right here in Indy.    Settling the terms might be an issue, but otherwise I think he will give it a go.  

Pure speculation, but that is my feelings on the matter.

7 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I believe Manning would not come because of Irsay.

Agree, Manning is the bigger person to not come out and say anything negative.  But there are some deeply seeded issues IMO based on a few of those little nuggets/snippets that Irsay has dropped here and there over the last few years.  If those two were trapped in a battery, Manning would gravitate to the positive side, and Irsay to the negative.

56 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I think they have a great relationship.  JMV says PM wants to be in football but last year wasn't the time.  I know JMV isn't completely in the know, but he does get some insider info and is typically right.

Peyton knows that Jim letting him go was a business decision and that it was probably a really hard one to make.  I don't think he holds that against Irsay- at all. 

I truly believe that PM wants to be involved and I think the first place he would be willing to consider is right here in Indy.    Settling the terms might be an issue, but otherwise I think he will give it a go.  

Pure speculation, but that is my feelings on the matter.

I don't know why you think Indy would be the first place he would consider. If anything it would be easier to be with a team he didn't have a connection with.

Its why despite how much Tennessee wants him to come home and run their college program he would never do it because it would ruin their image of him if he failed.

Same with Colts or Denver(if it ever was a possibility)

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

And?

He doesn't have ill will towards the fans or the city itself. It was a significant time in his life would have made him look bad if he turned it down. 

Doesn't mean he wants to run the Colts either and he shouldn't feel obligated to.

Where did I say he was obligated to take any job?  

Also,   he has homes all over the country.   I don't think that's a factor in his decision making 

12 hours ago, CF4L said:

Yes and look at the Broncos now Elway failed to find an adequate heir apparent to Manning so that luster has dulled a bit now and Elway is pretty much hard if not impossible to fire despite all of this. Unlike Manning he waited till he learned the business and his kids were grown. (Manning's kids are small why would he take this on now?)

This would be the same with Manning if he didn't live up to the unrealistic expectations people would have of him as a FO guy. People are turning on Chris Ballard already and he hasn't even been here a full year.

I also don't see him giving up commercials to run a team. Or go into politics or be a play by play guy(which for some reason people insist he wants either option and yet has refuted both of them repeatedly)

If Peyton came here to do anything remotely similar to Elway it clearly would be after a few years.  CB has built himself the safety of time with Irsay.  After say 5 years if he is not living up to it he will be gone (I hope this doesn't happen).  That then allows Manning to have some time off, doing whatever he would like to.  Plus, if Manning came in to the FO as President and GM, the pressure is there, but so is the challenge.  He is a competitor and has been since a young kid.  YOU care about the pressure, does not mean HE does.  Challenges are what make sports fun for guys like him.

Now the first part about Elway.  I said he has increased his legacy, 2 SB appearances with 1 win as GM.  That allows for some good boosts among the fans.  He has helped build a solid defense.  Now you mention not having a heir apparent to Manning.  This is the only thing you have for your argument?  You act as if finding a top QB to fill Manning's shoes is so extremely easy.  They have been doing well so they have been picking at the end of rounds and he has looked at some other areas.  They lose people each year in FA because late round picks are becoming solid on D.  He has to fill multiple spots not just a QB spot.  You make the job sound so easy with just needing a QB.....c'mon man!

12 hours ago, CF4L said:

And?

He has a home in Florida and still one in New Orleans.  So I guess those are possibilities too?  A home does not matter and I would not say his permanent home by any means.  Plus, no one is saying he is obligated to do anything.

11 hours ago, CF4L said:

I don't know why you think Indy would be the first place he would consider. If anything it would be easier to be with a team he didn't have a connection with.

Its why despite how much Tennessee wants him to come home and run their college program he would never do it because it would ruin their image of him if he failed.

Same with Colts or Denver(if it ever was a possibility)

Man you are on a roll with putting words in peoples mouth today.  You are in a forum of INDIANAPOLIS COLTS FANS....guess what we are probably going to talk about him being here.  

He has never had any links to his thoughts or consideration to going to a college to run that.  There were ties to the Titans.  Regardless of what team he would decide to be a GM at he is going to have pressure.  The league is a win now, and he is a former great player.  They have pressure on them NO MATTER WHAT TEAM, let alone the Colts.

I don't see how Manning could harbor any resentment toward Irsay he was the one who engineered his way out of Indy...and Irsay obliged. 

Manning (and Condon) was the one who insisted on the poison pill in his contract that ultimately facilitated his release. He is a smart guy who does very much care about his legacy...which is why he knew he knew he had to go somewhere else to get another ring or two. And he set it up so he got to choose the best situation for him to do just that.

If anything, Manning greatly appreciates Irsay. 

Most important fact here is Peyton's work ethic level. That alone points him to Elway who also could never prepare enough. In his heart Tennessee stands out but from a business point of view teaming with Elway is my guess. I recently listened to some media people mention an interest in a California team no team name was mentioned. Wherever he lands the people that work there better shape up because there will be a new Marshall in town and his idea of a hard day's work in probably much higher than the average worker. Don't get hung up on his record as a player because that job and a office job are miles apart but Elway has done it so if they team up, look out world.

21 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Most important fact here is Peyton's work ethic level. That alone points him to Elway who also could never prepare enough. In his heart Tennessee stands out but from a business point of view teaming with Elway is my guess. I recently listened to some media people mention an interest in a California team no team name was mentioned. Wherever he lands the people that work there better shape up because there will be a new Marshall in town and his idea of a hard day's work in probably much higher than the average worker. Don't get hung up on his record as a player because that job and a office job are miles apart but Elway has done it so if they team up, look out world.

Why in the world would they team up?  Peyton would want a Front Office roll and Elway is already the President and GM of the Broncos.  This makes little to no sense and yet again....we have zero links to share in this speculation.

You like to post those random theories in your head and pair them with "media people".

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Why in the world would they team up?  Peyton would want a Front Office roll and Elway is already the President and GM of the Broncos.  This makes little to no sense and yet again....we have zero links to share in this speculation.

You like to post those random theories in your head and pair them with "media people".

If it makes no sense to you will you show your credentials for being an insider to the Broncos front office and my link is my opinion. Don't agree fine but that does not mean it does not make sense because nothing yet has transpired so anything is possible. Oh, in case you did not know Elway has a boss and what his boss says goes.

Peyton is too smart to take anything but an ownership position. It is more likely he will go after a minority ownership for an NFL team than anything else, most likely the Titans. Plus, he is still popular enough and keeping himself relevant in public eyes with his commercials etc., so I doubt he will risk the cushy life of commercials and Papa Johns franchise ownership with the stress of being a GM anywhere, period.

19 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If it makes no sense to you will you show your credentials for being an insider to the Broncos front office and my link is my opinion. Don't agree fine but that does not mean it does not make sense because nothing yet has transpired so anything is possible. Oh, in case you did not know Elway has a boss and what his boss says goes.

This does not make sense to anyone with football knowledge really.  Thank you for finally stating this is YOUR opinion instead of trying to use your bogus claims of "media people".  Oh, and yes Elway does have a boss....a spot that Peyton would have a hard time getting in Denver.

Let me clearify, Elway, President of Football Ops/GM.  His boss is the CEO and then the owner.  Why would they bring in Manning to hold a CEO/President role over Elway?  Again, that makes no sense.  Hey Peyton here is a job and some ownership stake in the company, oh and let me know what you would like to do with Elway.  

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

This does not make sense to anyone with football knowledge really.  Thank you for finally stating this is YOUR opinion instead of trying to use your bogus claims of "media people".  Oh, and yes Elway does have a boss....a spot that Peyton would have a hard time getting in Denver.

Let me clearify, Elway, President of Football Ops/GM.  His boss is the CEO and then the owner.  Why would they bring in Manning to hold a CEO/President role over Elway?  Again, that makes no sense.  Hey Peyton here is a job and some ownership stake in the company, oh and let me know what you would like to do with Elway.  

First, this is not about football. In case you are not aware both Elway and Manning no longer play. This subject is business.Your crystal ball is assuming and that is the replacement for absence of knowledge. Where did I write what his role will be? Above all you have no idea what will transpire so wrap it up for that reason before you appear to be more out in the parking lot than you already are.

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

First, this is not about football. In case you are not aware both Elway and Manning no longer play. This subject is business.Your crystal ball is assuming and that is the replacement for absence of knowledge. Where did I write what his role will be? Above all you have no idea what will transpire so wrap it up for that reason before you appear to be more out in the parking lot than you already are.

Man you are not good at this debate thing huh?  Your original comment, as crazy as it still is, was that they would team up.  No worries about football, because it is all about business.  Elway is still worried about business.  Any FO spot is about business.  Are you following me yet?  

I am just saying it would be pointless and would not happen on any level.  YOU are also assuming these things as well with your crystal ball.  Do not get all upset when YOUR thought is challenged, and not these mythical "media people" you tried to refer to as well. 

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don't see how Manning could harbor any resentment toward Irsay he was the one who engineered his way out of Indy...and Irsay obliged. 

Manning (and Condon) was the one who insisted on the poison pill in his contract that ultimately facilitated his release. He is a smart guy who does very much care about his legacy...which is why he knew he knew he had to go somewhere else to get another ring or two. And he set it up so he got to choose the best situation for him to do just that.

If anything, Manning greatly appreciates Irsay. 

I think he's glad Irsay gave up on him but he's not going to forget being tossed aside that easily either(I mean he chose to retire with Denver not that it matters but Irsay wanted him to do that lame one day contract thing and Manning declined and sure someone will say he was still under contract with Denver. They weren't going to bring him back they wouldn't have cared where he went after that SB)

He might've been cool with Irsay had he not made those comments about Star Wars numbers and how he wants players who win more than 1 ring. I mean even the Patriots didn't say this about Drew Bledsoe and him being hurt was one of the best things to happen to that franchise. You say this about the dude that kept you from being on par with the Browns right now? 

Jimbo dumped him because he was old, injured and expensive and thought Andrew Luck could easily replace Peyton Manning.

And well look at them now.

He likes his memories from the Colts and the fans  but I hold no delusions that he loves the Colts enough to want to work here either.