Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running the football key versus seahawks.

Stephen

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

If we can run the football we may have a chance. With that being said. 38 to 17 seahawks.

Won’t happen if we keep running the same old same old predictably telegraphed dive play inside that the Colts have been stubbornly (dumbly) been running for the past 5-plus years.

Oh how I miss the stretch runs of Dickerson and James, where the RB is given the ball in space, able to put their running talent to use.

We definitely need to be more effective running the ball.....but to try to copy what Tennessee did could be a mistake. For one their team is built to run the football....it's their strength. We can't ignore what we do well. Seattle has other weaknesses too. For one I don't think their LBs are great in coverage. Many times over the years I've seen teams be effective getting their RBs and TE's matched up on them and moving the ball that way. I don't think we are going to score 30pts against this team....we are going to have to be great on defense...stop the run and get after Wilson. It's a big test to go on the road in Seattle. While we definitely need to step up the running game to protect our qbs we just can't forget that there are some things we do well that can work against that defense. I just hope we show up and play for 4 quarters...no matter the outcome we need to finish a ball game.

29 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Wilson may throw for mega yards against the Colts defense could be ugly. Seahawks gave up close to 200 yards rushing so ??

Why would Wilson throw for mega yards?  We should have Wilson and Davis back plus Melvin Hairston and Desir.  Farley, Hooker, and Butler are healthy as well.  Just curious of your thoughts with this?

Oh and they do not have some great passing offense either.

11 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

you know this is the type of game that the Colts are expected to lose so watch them come out and play like their hair is on fire.

I'm fully expecting them to do that.  We've got good enough players on defense to match what they do offensively.  I think the defense will keep us in the fight, although I'm interested to see what type of offensive approach we take.  Got to make sure Brissett is protected.   This is a game we've got to have because if we are in the divisional race near the end of the season and it gets down to common opponents we don't want Tenn to have that notch on their belt and we don't.   We need to beat them just like Tenn. beat them.

The key here is going to be to weather the storm early on with the crowd noise by playing good D. If we can accomplish a stalemate in the first quarter, the Seahawks' D will tire out as the game goes on if we can run the ball and keep them guessing with good play calling. 

It would be mighty important to have Vontae Davis back. They could be without Doug Baldwin, who had a groin muscle pull, that would be huge for us. If we had Luck, I would say this is the type of game we are supposed to lose but we end up winning. Kaepernick and Mariota had good luck using their legs agains this D, past and present. Brissett's legs will be the key for some crucial first downs and tempo, IMO.

The biggest problem I see is our OL's pass protection against that front. We will run adequately and Brissett will use his legs adequately but if we have to play catch up, it could be a long day. It is the first quarter in their place where we keep the score close, say 7-7 or 3-3, something like that, and that would bode well for us as the game goes on. 

We can't keep committing all the penalties It will be a long game starting behind the sticks. Brissett continues to take care of the ball. We need Aiken out of protocol. The O has gotten better each week let's keep it going. Kelly would be huge.

Our front 7 should do well vs the run. We need to keep Wilson in the pocket and get off the field on 3rd down. It'd be nice to have Davis. We need to see more of George hopefully the staff figures that out. 

The key will be to play a clean game. 

I agree that the running game is key.    I think the running play selection is most important.  

My thinking is that the Seahawks are not as bad as their record.    Colts will have trouble in this game.    

But Seattle has lost 2 of 3 so they are beatable with the right game plan.    Let's see Pagano prove us wrong a show that he can go in there with an effective game plan.

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Don't worry,  we will run between the tackles on every first down.   The Seahawks will never see it coming

Ohhh just you wait J, first play of the game will be a playaction!!  Mark my words, then they'll make sure to run it again 0 times throughout the rest of the game.  Especially if it works. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:54 AM, Stephen said:

If we can run the football we may have a chance. With that being said. 38 to 17 seahawks.

You realize Gore gets the majority of carries, right?

On 9/25/2017 at 9:31 AM, chad72 said:

The key here is going to be to weather the storm early on with the crowd noise by playing good D. If we can accomplish a stalemate in the first quarter, the Seahawks' D will tire out as the game goes on if we can run the ball and keep them guessing with good play calling. 

It would be mighty important to have Vontae Davis back. They could be without Doug Baldwin, who had a groin muscle pull, that would be huge for us. If we had Luck, I would say this is the type of game we are supposed to lose but we end up winning. Kaepernick and Mariota had good luck using their legs agains this D, past and present. Brissett's legs will be the key for some crucial first downs and tempo, IMO.

The biggest problem I see is our OL's pass protection against that front. We will run adequately and Brissett will use his legs adequately but if we have to play catch up, it could be a long day. It is the first quarter in their place where we keep the score close, say 7-7 or 3-3, something like that, and that would bode well for us as the game goes on. 

I especially agree with your first paragraph. Can't have one of those games where it's 17-0 in the first. They'll be dead in the water at that point.

Gotta shorten and slow this game down. If Chud can figure out a good simple gameplan we have a shot. Can't just play them straight up and win. Crowd is a huge disadvantage I will say though. 

With all that being said I wouldn't be shocked if they get blown out if things go bad early.

On 9/25/2017 at 9:46 AM, RollerColt said:

It's going to be ridiculously tough to beat them at their place, with most of our key players missing. That, and the Seahawks will be motivated after losing to the Titans. 

Don't be so glum, chum!  We have the quarterback with something to prove to supplement the running game, and any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday.

Think of it as an opportunity  If Indy manages to pull this off, they're 2-2 and in great shape to make a run when Luck gets back!  A young QB with a chip on his shoulder, especially one the Seahawks haven't faced yet, can't hurt that effort IMHO.  Yeah it's gonna be tough, but there's reasons to have faith too.

Yeah I think we have to go in there on the attack defensively.  Offensively I think we have to put a premium on making sure Jacoby is protected.  I think we can approach this similar to how we played Minnesota last year.  On the ground and through the air I think we can use a similar strategy that we used in that game.   We have to go in there focused and attack them and not be in awe of the stage.

47 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea the jags blowing out ravens was a shocker to me. Thought their defense was legit

Something was off, that Ravens' D is too good to be written off. Looked like the Jags were the more prepared team and the Ravens just did not show up.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Something was off, that Ravens' D is too good to be written off. Looked like the Jags were the more prepared team and the Ravens just did not show up.

That London trip seems to really throw things off for the team who has no experience with it.

10 hours ago, George Peterson said:

Don't be so glum, chum!  We have the quarterback with something to prove to supplement the running game, and any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday.

Think of it as an opportunity  If Indy manages to pull this off, they're 2-2 and in great shape to make a run when Luck gets back!  A young QB with a chip on his shoulder, especially one the Seahawks haven't faced yet, can't hurt that effort IMHO.  Yeah it's gonna be tough, but there's reasons to have faith too.

You're right of course, it's any given Sunday. Is there a chance? Yes, yes there is. Is it a small chance? Quite possibly so. 

Brissett does get another week of practice at least. So hopefully he's starting to feel comfortable with the playbook, because vanilla offensive play-calling is not going to be enough to defeat this Seattle defense. And once again I'm hoping that our friggin' o-line can stop committing pointless penalties. If don't have any holding calls on us, then we have a very good shot at surprising Pete Carroll. 

And I agree with PeterBowman here. It's a game we shouldn't win, but it's also the perfect game to steal a win. It would also completely screw with the talking heads the following week. I would love to witness that!