Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where are we better This Year vs. Last Year

Flash7

After the draft and during the preseason, every team is hopeful that they have gotten better. Let's evaluate whether we have actually gotten better compared to last year.

Let's look at this by position groupings:

Offense:

Last Year: QB)  1. Luck  2. Tolzien   3. Morris

This Year QB)   1. Luck  2. Tolzien  3. Brissett

Last Year RB)   1. Gore  2. Turbin  3. Ferguson

This Year RB)   1. Gore  2. Turbin  3. Mack

Last Year Rec)   1. T.Y. Hilton  2. Moncrief   3. Dorsett  4. Rogers

This Year Rec)   1. T.Y. Hilton  2. Moncrief   3. Rogers  4. Aiken

Last Year TE)    1. Doyle  2. Allen   3. Swoope

This Year TE)    1. Doyle  2. Brandon Willians  3. Darren Daniels 4. Swoope (IR)

Last Year OL)   1. Castonzo  2. Mewhort  3. Kelly  4. Good  5. Reitz/Clark

This Year OL)   1. Castonzo  2. Vujnovich   3. Kelly  4. Mewhort  5. Good

Defense:

Last Year: DL)   1. H. Anderson  2. Parry     3. Langford  4. Ridgeway  5. Kerr  6. T.Y. McGill

This Year: DL)   1. H. Anderson  2. Woods  3. Hankins   4. Ridgeway  5. Hunt  6. Stewart

Last Year OLB) 1. Robert Mathis 2. Erik Walden  3. Trent Cole  4. Ayers 

This Year OLB) 1. Jabaal Sheard 2. John Simon  3. Bashem  4. Mingo 

Last Year ILB)   1. DQ Jackson 2. A. Morrison  3. Edwin Jackson 4. Sio Moore 

This Year ILB)   1. Jon Bostic    2. A. Morrison  3. Anthony Walker 4. J. George

Last Year CB)   1. V. Davis  2. P. Robinson  3. D. Butler  4. Melvin  5. Morris

This Year CB)   1. V. Davis  2. Melvin  3. Hairston  4. Greene  5. Wilson

Last Year S)    1. M. Adams  2. Geathers  3. Green  4. Farley  5. Guy

This Year S)    1. D. Butler   2. Farley   3. Hooker   4. Geathers (IR) 5) Green

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on where we have improved. 

Defensively we are better because we are younger and probably have more talent than last year. Everywhere else, we are worse. 

The defense is getting thrashed as they should for their pass defense, but they weren't solely responsible for the 46 points given up. The offensive turnovers played a huge role there. 

We are better on the defensive line as we have three guys there who have proven they can stop the run in Anderson, Woods, and Hankins.

We have more playmaking at the running back position with Mack.

We won't know if we are better in the secondary until we see how the young guys play throughout the season.

Linebacker is wait and see as well. Bostic looked a lot better than he did in preseason. Simon looked good. Sheard was completely invisible and needs to step up.

Offensive line was basically ignored again and it is getting ridiculous.  Denzelle Good may be a keeper at right tackle and of course Ryan Kelly will be at center; but we could have three new starters next year depending on Mewhort's performance the rest of the year.

20 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Defensively we are better because we are younger and probably have more talent than last year. Everywhere else, we are worse. 

The defense is getting thrashed as they should for their pass defense, but they weren't solely responsible for the 46 points given up. The offensive turnovers played a huge role there. 

The players have been changed out, but the coaches are the same. The players have not been put in a position to be successful so we see the Rams crush us. Until the coaches are shown the door, this team will struggle to win with or without Luck.

14 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

We are better on the defensive line as we have three guys there who have proven they can stop the run in Anderson, Woods, and Hankins.

We won't know if we are better in the secondary until we see how the young guys play throughout the season.

Linebacker is wait and see as well. Bostic looked a lot better than he did in preseason. Simon looked good. Sheard was completely invisible and needs to step up.

Offensive line was basically ignored again and it is getting ridiculous.  Denzelle Good may be a keeper at right tackle and of course Ryan Kelly will be at center; but we could have three new starters next year depending on Mewhort's performance the rest of the year.

Only so much can be done in one off-season.  :^)

IMO on defense we're better pretty much across the board (once Vontae is healthy).  It'll take a few weeks to start really seeing positive results because so many of them are new.

I would say we're worse, not by much, RIGHT NOW at ILB but I think it has the potential to be better than last year's.  Bostic definitely looked faster to me than Dqwell. 

On offense, I'd call WR a wash, RB is better, QB a wash until they swap Tolzien and Brissett...and then we also need to see just how good Brissett can actually be in our offense. 

OL?  At this point who knows? lol

The offense has regressed:  

The O-line has been shuffled and is still an issue. We are worse off here, and it's a major issue -- perhaps the biggest issue on offense.

Starters Last Year: Skill Players- Luck, TY, Moncrief, Doyle, Gore. 

Starters this year: Skill Players - Luck, TY, Moncrief, Doyle, Gore

Even though we have added a few receivers and Mack, the majority of the starting skill players have remained the same. We have regressed at TE beyond Doyle, but improved at RB due to the addition of Mack.

On defense our D-Line has improved. The MLB position has remained the same, just sub out a thumper (DQ) with another thumper (Bostic). The OLB position has regressed in my opinion: We will not get 11.5 sacks from sheard or Simon, like Walden did last year. Also, we will not get the leadership that we got from Mathis.

6 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The offense has regressed:  

The O-line has been shuffled and is still an issue. We are worse off here, and it's a major issue -- perhaps the biggest issue on offense.

Starters Last Year: Skill Players- Luck, TY, Moncrief, Doyle, Gore. 

Starters this year: Skill Players - Luck, TY, Moncrief, Doyle, Gore

Even though we have added a few receivers and Mack, the majority of the starting skill players have remained the same. We have regressed at TE beyond Doyle, but improved at RB due to the addition of Mack.

On defense our D-Line has improved. The MLB position has remained the same, just sub out a thumper (DQ) with another thumper (Bostic). The OLB position has regressed in my opinion: We will not get 11.5 sacks from sheard or Simon, like Walden did last year. Also, we will not get the leadership that we got from Mathis.

Well, to be fair, no one expected Walden to ever have double digit sacks, so the same could have been said last year about him...actually that WAS said about Walden last year.  IMO Simon will wind up being our sack leader and I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him hit double digits.

3 minutes ago, will426 said:

Bostic is faster than Jackson but that's not saying much because he was trashed in coverage too

at least bostic kept up with the TE...couldn't make a play on the ball, but not many LBs actually can.  Any time we have a LB lined up on a hybrid TE like that, it's going to be a mismatch in favor of the other team.

33 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

So far with Sheared I'm not impressed he just doesn't look great out there at all loses contain like every other play he wasn't great sunday we need more of a pass rush from those guys too.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apples and Oranges.

You're comparing one game to a whole season.     That's not the appropriate comparison.

We'll find out where we are at the end of the season.

We're comparing rosters. We know who played last season and how they played, and we are projecting how this year's team may compare to last year's to see if we have improved or not. This is just an exercise, in my opinion, to set expectations appropriately, based on our projection.

I am asking for opinions and not facts.

30 minutes ago, J@son said:

at least bostic kept up with the TE...couldn't make a play on the ball, but not many LBs actually can.  Any time we have a LB lined up on a hybrid TE like that, it's going to be a mismatch in favor of the other team.

Okay that was one play could also note his missed tackles he had quite a few him and Morrison. I feel this team just isn't coached to be successful overall tho 

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

So much judgement over one game.    I agree with NCF.

I agree but it's always the case after a loss. It's to early to make most of the judgements we've seen on this board the last couple of days. That being said I think it's fair to say that very strange decisions continue to be made by our staff. Whether it's in game decisions, play calling game planning  or personnel decisions. This group continues to make questionable decisions not only to those of us on the board but the  media as well. 

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

I agree but it's always the case after a loss. It's to early to make most of the judgements we've seen on this board the last couple of days. That being said I think it's fair to say that very strange decisions continue to be made by our staff. Whether it's in game decisions, play calling game planning  or personnel decisions. This group continues to make questionable decisions not only to those of us on the board but the  media as well. 

Yeah I agree on that front.   I will see how they adjust.

13 minutes ago, will426 said:

Okay that was one play could also note his missed tackles he had quite a few him and Morrison. I feel this team just isn't coached to be successful overall tho 

yeah I wasn't saying he's a great LB, had a good game or anything like that...don't get that twisted.  :P

my comment was really just agreeing that, at this point, he just looks like a faster version of DJax.

Same question as last year on D- where are our playmakers? Who are going to be the difference makers, the impact players that we lacked last year?

Simon has possibility, but not really known as a great pass rusher. Hooker has been invisible, not playing preseason and played only a few snaps Sunday, but hopefully can get healthy. Wilson, eh, not seen it so far. Our DL held the line, but little push in pass rush or TFL's. Not a lot to shout about, but Simon, Hooker and Wilson would be the guys I would pin my hopes on, as weak as they may be.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Only so much can be done in one off-season.  :^)

No matter who we draft or bring in this year,  next year,  or several years from now but still have the same coaching staff, it wouldn't make any difference. I think we've waited long enough to know who or what the problem is. 

I think the offense is about the same.  The skill players are the same, and the OL might actually be better.  I'd take Bond over Blythe, and Vujnavich could be a solid left guard.  We have to be glad Mewhort is moving to the right side and not having to pull as much.  When Kelly gets back, and if the young guys gel, Luck might get a chance to feed Hilton and Moncrief.

I think the D took a hit.  Losing Langford was huge, and Simon doesn't have much help as far as pressure.

DL - A slight plus --I like Hankins and Woods, Losing Langford hurt, but I'd say a slight plus.  No pressure, especially without Mcgill, but they were chosen to specifically stop the run.

OLB - A small hit --Love Simon, but we lost Walden, and have no depth

MLB -  push

S  - Big plus -- If Hooker stays healthy, it could be huge

CB - Big Hit --  This is the Ds biggest weakness.  We have a rookie in the slot replacing Butler who used to be a playmaking CB.  I know Vontae is the reason we're in trouble this year, but we have no slot CB, and until Quincey gets playing time, he is no upgrade opposite Vontae.  Also, we have absolutely NO depth.  Quincey was the right move in the draft, but we should have added some more depth in FA.

Why draft a stud FS, and then sit him behind our only slot corner?

59 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

We're comparing rosters. We know who played last season and how they played, and we are projecting how this year's team may compare to last year's to see if we have improved or not. This is just an exercise, in my opinion, to set expectations appropriately, based on our projection.

I am asking for opinions and not facts.

And you're asking for opinions based on one game.     It's meaningless,  unless you think the Colts will lose every game 46-9? 

Missing Luck, Kelly, Davis, is just an insurmountable blow.  The team would've been just as bad without all three of them, if not worse last year.

Edit: 

Forgot to add in Swoop, and Gaethers who I thought were both going to have great years.  There's 5 starters pretty much.  

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And you're asking for opinions based on one game.     It's meaningless,  unless you think the Colts will lose every game 46-9? 

If you look at my initial post, I am comparing rosters. I have included Luck, V. Davis, and Kelly (all of whom did not play in last week's game) on both rosters, so it's obviously not based on 1 game. It's a comparison of rosters.

If you want to project this year's roster based on 1 game, go right ahead. That's not what I asked for because like you said, that would be meaningless.

We are better at NT, RB, and CB (assuming VD is basically healthy).  We are worse at WR, Safety, and Oline.  Push at QB, TE, OLB, DE, DT, and ILB.

If VD is not healthy, then we actually took a step backwards from last season.

Some holes get filled, but others develop.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We are better at NT, RB, and CB (assuming VD is basically healthy).  We are worse at WR, Safety, and Oline.  Push at QB, TE, OLB, DE, DT, and ILB.

If VD is not healthy, then we actually took a step backwards from last season.

Some holes get filled, but others develop.

Regarding TE: I think Doyle, Allen, Swoope is better than Doyle, Williams, Daniels, and Swoope (IR).