Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor Mays?

hockey878

That was the knock coming out of college, and apparently it's true. We expect our S to have decent cover skills.

He reminds me of Roy Williams.

roy williams was very effective for bout 5 yrs......i think we should bring him in if we can get him for a 4th or 5th rounder....we need depth .....with the right coaching, he could be goood

roy williams was very effective for bout 5 yrs......i think we should bring him in if we can get him for a 4th or 5th rounder....we need depth .....with the right coaching, he could be goood

I meant when Roy was getting so exploited that they only used him in run situations. I don't know Mays contract, but he probably already has his bonus and it could be relatively low. If he's cheap, he's worth a mid to late pick.

After our starters we're pretty thin on experience anyway.

I didn't like Mays coming out of college. He only had the ability to hit, his coverage ability was very poor. I don't want him in Indy, we need good coverage safeties for our Tampa 2 base defense. I never thought he could be a good safety in the NFL, he seemed to me like he was a college all-star and a pro unknown

He'd make a great special teams cover guy, and he's not bad as a backup safety. But the knock on him coming out of USC was that he's not good in coverage. He slipped into the second round despite being a ferocious hitter and a great athlete, maybe the best in the draft. Pete Carroll didn't want him at #6, and he wasn't worth that high a pick. I think name recognition had him projected in the first round, but he's not a complete safety at this point.

Playing safety in a Cover 2 would be good for him, as long as he's not asked to play hook zone coverage and is primarily playing deep. He's fast, he's big, he's athletic, he just can't turn and run with receivers in man coverage. Coach 'em up, and he could be a really good player.

Doesn't surprise me that Harbaugh doesn't want him. He's allergic to all things SC.

He'd make a great special teams cover guy, and he's not bad as a backup safety. But the knock on him coming out of USC was that he's not good in coverage. He slipped into the second round despite being a ferocious hitter and a great athlete, maybe the best in the draft. Pete Carroll didn't want him at #6, and he wasn't worth that high a pick. I think name recognition had him projected in the first round, but he's not a complete safety at this point.

Playing safety in a Cover 2 would be good for him, as long as he's not asked to play hook zone coverage and is primarily playing deep. He's fast, he's big, he's athletic, he just can't turn and run with receivers in man coverage. Coach 'em up, and he could be a really good player.

Doesn't surprise me that Harbaugh doesn't want him. He's allergic to all things SC.

I think the fact that Pete Carroll didn't want him after coaching him in college is a clear indication that his skill don't transfer to the NFL.

If the Colts were to bring in Mays it would be to play WILL not safety. His coverage skills as for a safety are below par. His coverage skills for a LB are pretty good.

His teammate Dashon Goldson, who is going to be released with the signing of Whitner may be worth a look as a solid back-up to Bullitt.

Assuming of course the Colts do not like what they see from Alafava (or however it's spelled)

I think the fact that Pete Carroll didn't want him after coaching him in college is a clear indication that his skill don't transfer to the NFL.

To be fair, I think it could just mean he'd rather have a left tackle than a safety, and that's a smart move. They picked 6th in the first round, and then didn't pick again until the end of the second round. He might have taken him with that late second rounder had he been there, but the Niners grabbed him 11 picks before the Seahawks came back around.

Mays was upset that Carroll didn't draft him in the first, and said so. But I think he's delusional, given the fact that NO ONE drafted him in the first round. Not a first round talent, and now he's on the trade block.

Guest BlueShoe

He hits hard but can't cover. Being that we run cover 2 at least half the time, he def would not be a good fit for us.

i really think we should just grab him and throw him into special teams day one....guys like this will prevent antonio cromartie from gashing our special teams for 60 yards without making one cut in playoff games.

bullit can get the colts to a superbowl but if he goes down again ......mays can step in and play essentially in the box and well just have to play lots of cover 3

+1 agreed

I'm not totally opposed to this if he's 2nd round rookie cheap. I mean, he could spell Bullitt on certain downs, give us an extra body in the box if we expect the run, and then play Special Teams. On Kick and/or Punt coverage, stick that fast, physical body in there to tackle the guy with the ball. I think he could excel there.

I'm not totally opposed to this if he's 2nd round rookie cheap. I mean, he could spell Bullitt on certain downs, give us an extra body in the box if we expect the run, and then play Special Teams. On Kick and/or Punt coverage, stick that fast, physical body in there to tackle the guy with the ball. I think he could excel there.

I totally agree! And while he's playing those roles, our coaching staff can give him their best shot and see if they can't make a suitable starting SS out of him while they're at it. If that doesn't end up happening, then oh well. Just the special teams help alone makes him worth it! That's assuming that the price will be right...

I totally agree! And while he's playing those roles, our coaching staff can give him their best shot and see if they can't make a suitable starting SS out of him while they're at it. If that doesn't end up happening, then oh well. Just the special teams help alone makes him worth it! That's assuming that the price will be right...

His college coach isn't interested in him and the team that drafted him wants to get rid of him after 1 year but spends big bucks to get a waived safety this year. That tells me that either he's not any good, or he's such a cancer that San Fran just wants to get rid of him and is hoping that some team will take him off their hands. NO WAY does San Fran get rid of him if he has any value at all..

Might be worth bringing him in and coaching him up..A huge might, but I can see this paying off if he actually gets coached up. He's got the athleticism to be a good safety, but mentally he isn't ready in my opinion. Coach him up in the cover 2 system and have him learn behind Bethea and Bullitt and then let him loose. He could be a valuable back up as well as a good special teams player. In a way he could be what Bullitt has been the last few years and you can't put a price on that.

Cato June experiment anyone? Give him work as a backup linebacker in our system, and have him for ST. His size is about the same as Wheeler, and I'll be willing to bet he is a heckuva lot more athletic.

Angerer, Brackett, Sims, Conner, Mays?

I know June had his troubles in taking down bigger backs, but it sounds like Mays could be a good understudy at WLB with his hitting/tackling ability. His coverage is likely better than a number of our backers.

If he can be had for a 6th, it might be something worth trying.

Guest BlueShoe

Cato June experiment anyone? Give him work as a backup linebacker in our system, and have him for ST. His size is about the same as Wheeler, and I'll be willing to bet he is a heckuva lot more athletic.

Angerer, Brackett, Sims, Conner, Mays?

I know June had his troubles in taking down bigger backs, but it sounds like Mays could be a good understudy at WLB with his hitting/tackling ability. His coverage is likely better than a number of our backers.

If he can be had for a 6th, it might be something worth trying.

Absolutely!

Coming out of college some Tampa2 teams were looking at him to be a weakside linebacker.

Hidden

ok so ive been reading and apparently they really are trying to get rid of this kid bad..espn even said they may cut him..i say we try 2 pull a tryon situation where we could pick him up on the cheap..he would def help w special teams..i just use him on special teams on my madden team n lets just say i think he leads the league in forced fumbles every year haha..i know its not real but we all know how this kid plays..itd be pretty cool if we could have bob sanders back in a couple years, just w a different name on the back of the jersey

What makes everyone so certian he couldnt play safety on 3rd and short or goal line situationally and be a special teams all star?

No one but he and the 49ers know the truth of his situation, he may very well be coachable with the right staff, if he does get cut and we can sogn him for minimum or if we can trade nothing for him, a team can never have too many impact sp. Teams players, and we alll know our kick coverage and return teams could use some help!

Guest BlueShoe

What makes everyone so certian he couldnt play safety on 3rd and short or goal line situationally and be a special teams all star?

No one but he and the 49ers know the truth of his situation, he may very well be coachable with the right staff, if he does get cut and we can sogn him for minimum or if we can trade nothing for him, a team can never have too many impact sp. Teams players, and we alll know our kick coverage and return teams could use some help!

He started off on a bad foot in San Fran. He is actually a good kid, but was upset that the Seahawks didn't draft him after Carroll told him he would. He made a big beef about it after the draft last year and was slammed in the media for it. Things went downhill from there for him.